I Miss The Lawlessness Of Cambodia In Thailand

omnilangur

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As has been said many time before the adverts that you see on your computer are a direct result of the sites that you have previously browsed. They are personally refined to match your previous browsing habits. That's the way that Google works. When I browse Thaivisa I always get adverts for bluebells and puppy dogs. YMMV...

Nice try but no cigar. I don't see these advertisements on any other webpages with advertisements and this is the only Thailand website I really visit with any frequencies. Are you really saying all these Thai dating advertisements are totally independent from me browsing Thai Visa and I would be just as likely to see them on a football website? No obviously not.

Nice try but no cigar. I don't see these advertisements on any other webpages with advertisements and this is the only Thailand website I really visit with any frequencies. Are you really saying all these Thai dating advertisements are totally independent from me browsing Thai Visa and I would be just as likely to see them on a football website? No obviously not.

Rather than discussing this issue here, discuss in this topic running in forum support:

Google's algorithms include the preferences of the advertiser as well as your browsing history.

In any case who cares, what's your point? The owners of the site set their policies as to what they allow you to do here and freely delete what they don't like. If you want free speech you'll have to go elsewhere I'm afraid.

Google's algorithms include the preferences of the advertiser as well as your browsing history.

In any case who cares, what's your point? The owners of the site set their policies as to what they allow you to do here and freely delete what they don't like. If you want free speech you'll have to go elsewhere I'm afraid.

I thought he didn't want free speech. He wanted to choose what adverts he was exposed to, and those that he wasn't. It's all part of our desire to surround ourselves with those that think like us, whether we be sheep or hyenas or lemmings.

Entertainingly enough, when I was browsing this site via a VPN to the UK, I would get adverts "Find sexy girls in drearymidlandsindustrialtown now!" - what a depressing thought; it would drive anyone to football.

Anyway, the topic of this thread is lawlessness, and how, in Cambodia, there are no controls over advertising

SC

• Like 2

I make a valid point and I have a right to state my opinion.....

You talk about missing Lawlessness, then you talk about "Your Rights"

Agree with you, all those american anti government weirdos who oppose the rules and regulations, but then insist they have a "right" to carry guns, to state their opinions publicly, to own land, etc, all of which are there because of the laws enforced by the government and the judicial system.

Go back 200 years in the US when law enforcement was scarce, and people would shoot you for looking at them the wrong way (not that they still don't do that in some neighborhoods).

Agree with you, all those american anti government weirdos who oppose the rules and regulations, but then insist they have a "right" to carry guns, to state their opinions publicly, to own land, etc, all of which are there because of the laws enforced by the government and the judicial system.

Very odd POV IMO. All the things you talk about are natural rights that would exist without any government. And it would rely on each individual/family/tribal unit whatever defending those rights with their own means.

Some governments actively enforce those natural rights on behalf of its citizens, others (more often) take them away.

• Like 1

Very odd POV IMO. All the things you talk about are natural rights that would exist without any government. And it would rely on each individual/family/tribal unit whatever defending those rights with their own means.

Some governments actively enforce those natural rights on behalf of its citizens, others (more often) take them away.

Without government, there are no rights, only the privileges of strength in anarchy.

Some amongst us may wish for a society based on the individual, or the family, unfettered by outside regulation, but sadly, many amongst us use that freedom to bring order from chaos and replace anarchy with tyranny

SC

• Like 2

Oh good. Are some brits still butt-hurt by the 13 Original States having the Declaration of Independence from the great king of england? Tickles me to death, it does.

Now in that Great Declaration, it says, to paraphrase, that all men are created equal, and are born with certain inalienable rights. Among those rights are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Too much for a brit to digest, I do understand.

Then as a result, the great king of england with his redcoat army got his butt kicked right up between his shoulder blades and right out of the US by a ragtag bunch of Americans with, horrors, GUNS!!!!!

Let's not forget the US Constitution which followed shortly. In effect it gives almost all rights to the individual, and mandates that government assure and protect those individual rights. What a concept. No anarchy, but no free-for-all either.

As a matter of fact, after that Constitution was set in place, many in the Colonies were still worried, and hurriedly put together what's known as The Bill of Rights. That's individual rights. That is, as one package, the first ten amendments to the US Constitution. First Amendment - freedom of speech, religion, and of the press. SECOND AMENDMENT, the right of THE PEOPLE to keep and bear arms. And so on it goes until the Tenth Amendment just basically summarizes the first nine in case anyone didn't understand that this Bill of Rights was limiting government's power to do much more than protect people and assure their individual liberties.

The people who put this in place (after kicking some serious british ass,) are those "weirdos" who "hate" government while "demanding their rights." Yep. Got that right.

That's why I can carry my .40 cal Glock 23 concealed 24/7 and the government can't touch me. Oh, and it isn't the "weirdos" with the guns and rights who cause the problems. It's the criminals in every country who don't care about other people's rights who commit the crimes. You are safest sitting next to me.

Oh good. Are some brits still butt-hurt by the 13 Original States having the Declaration of Independence from the great king of england? Tickles me to death, it does.

Now in that Great Declaration, it says, to paraphrase, that all men are created equal, and are born with certain inalienable rights. Among those rights are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Too much for a brit to digest, I do understand.

Then as a result, the great king of england with his redcoat army got his butt kicked right up between his shoulder blades and right out of the US by a ragtag bunch of Americans with, horrors, GUNS!!!!!

Let's not forget the US Constitution which followed shortly. In effect it gives almost all rights to the individual, and mandates that government assure and protect those individual rights. What a concept. No anarchy, but no free-for-all either.

As a matter of fact, after that Constitution was set in place, many in the Colonies were still worried, and hurriedly put together what's known as The Bill of Rights. That's individual rights. That is, as one package, the first ten amendments to the US Constitution. First Amendment - freedom of speech, religion, and of the press. SECOND AMENDMENT, the right of THE PEOPLE to keep and bear arms. And so on it goes until the Tenth Amendment just basically summarizes the first nine in case anyone didn't understand that this Bill of Rights was limiting government's power to do much more than protect people and assure their individual liberties.

The people who put this in place (after kicking some serious british ass,) are those "weirdos" who "hate" government while "demanding their rights." Yep. Got that right.

That's why I can carry my .40 cal Glock 23 concealed 24/7 and the government can't touch me. Oh, and it isn't the "weirdos" with the guns and rights who cause the problems. It's the criminals in every country who don't care about other people's rights who commit the crimes. You are safest sitting next to me.

Do you think you'd have had more chance of a civil discussion if you'd not portrayed yourself as so obnoxious?

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

Do you think you'd have had more chance of a civil discussion if you'd not portrayed yourself as so obnoxious?

SC

Aw c'mon. Lemme have a lil fun, willya? biggrin.png Someone said "...all those american anti government weirdos who oppose the rules and regulations, but then insist they have a "right" to carry guns, to state their opinions publicly, to own land, etc..." without even capitalizing "American" or understanding the system at all just set himself up like a sitting duck.

I like shooting sitting ducks in a gallery. Just don't take my non-capitalized comeback too seriously. laugh.pnglaugh.png

Edited by NeverSure

SC

Only 'cos he's got a gun ;)

Oh yeah. I really miss my visit to Cambodia years ago when even our moto-taxi guys didn't want to be out at night. Was so happy to get back to TL. And the trip a few years back when the wife got harassed by some moto clown midday on the drive in front of our hotel. Yeah. Bring on the lawlessness.

Sent from my PC36100 using Thaivisa Connect App

ALL rights that you ever had are created by the society you live in, and are enforced by it's judicial system and law enforcement agencies.

There are no "natural rights", and there never were.

If you still haven't realized that - you would be able to read further in a really excellent book, which was already translated into English to my surprise (that's why I edited the post)

Edited by soomak
  • Like 1

The US has probably the best "Bill of Rights" ever written. Unfortunately, the past few governments have stomped all over those "rights" and put the power in the hands of greedy bankers who the government bail out when those bankers make mistakes.

However, that is getting off topic of the OP's original post. There is still the tired old phrase... "Be careful of what you ask for." Very few people would actually WANT to go back to the days of men carrying the "law" in their holster.

The US has probably the best "Bill of Rights" ever written. Unfortunately, the past few governments have stomped all over those "rights" and put the power in the hands of greedy bankers who the government bail out when those bankers make mistakes.

However, that is getting off topic of the OP's original post. There is still the tired old phrase... "Be careful of what you ask for." Very few people would actually WANT to go back to the days of men carrying the "law" in their holster.

It's quite clear that the British have the clearest ideas on freedom and liberty, and did an excellent job when our wealthy colonial landowners defined a constitution and bill of rights for themselves when they decided they were able to stand on their own two feet.

It's always pleasing to see one's offspring do well, whether on a personal basis or as a nation. One may not always approve of everything they do, but I guess our American cousins are big boys now and can manage by themselves

SC

Without government, there are no rights, only the privileges of strength in anarchy.

Some amongst us may wish for a society based on the individual, or the family, unfettered by outside regulation, but sadly, many amongst us use that freedom to bring order from chaos and replace anarchy with tyranny

SC

Anarchy never existed. Even in the most primitive tribes encountered in the Amazon or Africa 100 years ago, there were rules, traditions and social hierarchy, and everybody followed those rules or got punished.

Luckily the western civilization managed to create rules and laws which allow people to live quite freely and safely ever since the end of WW2. Cambodia still haven't and Thailand is somewhere in between.

ALL rights that you ever had are created by the society you live in, and are enforced by it's judicial system and law enforcement agencies.

There are no "natural rights", and there never were.

If you still haven't realized that - you would be able to read further in a really excellent book, which was already translated into English to my surprise (that's why I edited the post)

I see history exactly the opposite. I see governments formed, and then get more and more oppressive and people in power take more power, get wealthier and more entrenched, and more in control. THEN with all hope comes a revolution by the people who take their freedom back.

The people are powerful once they wake up. Did you know that never in known history has a guerrilla style army ever been defeated on its own soil? Not by an invader, the entrenched government, or another oppressor?

• Like 1

The people are powerful once they wake up. Did you know that never in known history has a guerrilla style army ever been defeated on its own soil? Not by an invader, the entrenched government, or another oppressor?

The Sri Lankan Tamil Tigers just got defeated by the Sri Lankan government in 2009, and so were the Hebrew rebels against the Romans in 66-73 AD, and I'm sure there are many other examples (just sprung those out of memory). In any case, I know that facts do not change the minds of the fanatic.

• Like 1

The Sri Lankan Tamil Tigers just got defeated by the Sri Lankan government in 2009, and so were the Hebrew rebels against the Romans in 66-73 AD, and I'm sure there are many other examples (just sprung those out of memory). In any case, I know that facts do not change the minds of the fanatic.

A few that spring to mind: Malaysia Emergency that ended in the early 1960s, communist campaign in Greece end of WW11

As has been said many time before the adverts that you see on your computer are a direct result of the sites that you have previously browsed. They are personally refined to match your previous browsing habits. That's the way that Google works. When I browse Thaivisa I always get adverts for bluebells and puppy dogs. YMMV...

im sorry, but i beg to differ. i spend no time surfing or searching porn nor do i frequent dating or escort sites yet i get escort ads and brazillian virgin hair if i pause adblocker.

Ads are also matched to the content of the site or context specific. which on TV seems to inevitably return to the procurement of sex or the evils of thai womanhood.

Certainly if you are constantly searching for interracial anal dwarf porn, it will have an effect on your results, but it is not the sole reason thaivisa attracts a certain type of ad

Edited by tinfoilhat

im sorry, but i beg to differ. i spend no time surfing or searching porn nor do i frequent dating or escort sites yet i get escort ads and brazillian virgin hair if i pause adblocker.

Ads are also matched to the content of the site or context specific. which on TV seems to inevitably return to the procurement of sex or the evils of thai womanhood.

Certainly if you are constantly searching for interracial anal dwarf porn, it will have an effect on your results, but it is not the sole reason thaivisa attracts a certain type of ad

Hey watch what you are saying there!

post-73727-0-14624500-1353388842_thumb.j

SC

Anarchy never existed. Even in the most primitive tribes encountered in the Amazon or Africa 100 years ago, there were rules, traditions and social hierarchy, and everybody followed those rules or got punished.

Luckily the western civilization managed to create rules and laws which allow people to live quite freely and safely ever since the end of WW2. Cambodia still haven't and Thailand is somewhere in between.

The only reason that rules and laws are created is because a large proportion of the population are breaking the norm of traditions and social hierarchy. Tribes in olden times, didn't need many laws as they didn't go outside these rules until influenced by other civilisations.

The more laws that a country has in an indication of how broken their society is. A law is only created because it will be broken. having to make new laws is always a bad thing

SC

The only reason that rules and laws are created is because a large proportion of the population are breaking the norm of traditions and social hierarchy. Tribes in olden times, didn't need many laws as they didn't go outside these rules until influenced by other civilisations.

The more laws that a country has in an indication of how broken their society is. A law is only created because it will be broken. having to make new laws is always a bad thing

Nonsense. The Code of Hammurabi was one of the landmarks of civilization an important first in 1772BC. Back to school for you.smile.png

• Like 1

People introduce new laws to protect freedoms we never had before