I Miss The Lawlessness Of Cambodia In Thailand

omnilangur

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some useful links about the law in Cambodia; it's not as lawless as some imagine.

Also some more information on how the absence of the rule of law has aggravated the human rights situation:

http://www.alrc.net/doc/mainfile.php/alrc_st2007/419/

Edited by Morakot

Anarchy never existed. Even in the most primitive tribes encountered in the Amazon or Africa 100 years ago, there were rules, traditions and social hierarchy, and everybody followed those rules or got punished.

Luckily the western civilization managed to create rules and laws which allow people to live quite freely and safely ever since the end of WW2. Cambodia still haven't and Thailand is somewhere in between.

The only reason that rules and laws are created is because a large proportion of the population are breaking the norm of traditions and social hierarchy. Tribes in olden times, didn't need many laws as they didn't go outside these rules until influenced by other civilisations.

The more laws that a country has in an indication of how broken their society is. A law is only created because it will be broken. having to make new laws is always a bad thing

In very small societies (100-150 people), laws are not required, as it is easy to maintain order based on personal ties and traditions alone. Once the society gets larger, even a few hundred people, it is no longer possible, and laws and law enforcement are required.

When talking about countries of millions, there is not even the slightest chance of running them without laws and law enforcement - there isn't one known example in the history of the human race.

And to our topic: Cambodia is obviously not doing a good job in keeping it's population safe, Thailand is somewhat better, and most Western countries are much better at that (the US by the way is not on the top of the chart there - crime levels are high).

Nonsense. The Code of Hammurabi was one of the landmarks of civilization an important first in 1772BC. Back to school for you.smile.png

1772BC isn't such a long time in human history

In very small societies (100-150 people), laws are not required, as it is easy to maintain order based on personal ties and traditions alone. Once the society gets larger, even a few hundred people, it is no longer possible, and laws and law enforcement are required.

When talking about countries of millions, there is not even the slightest chance of running them without laws and law enforcement - there isn't one known example in the history of the human race.

And to our topic: Cambodia is obviously not doing a good job in keeping it's population safe, Thailand is somewhat better, and most Western countries are much better at that (the US by the way is not on the top of the chart there - crime levels are high).

That's the kind of population that would have been the norm for humans prior to laws being made. Some of the first laws were brought in by the first "peacemakers".

Let's live next to our neighbours and not fight with them. This ultimately led to huge increases in populations and enabled large groups of people, then armies to travel internationally in the search for new lands and resources.

It's been downhill for the human population ever since.

I miss the smell of Napalm in the morning!

I believe that's: "I love the smell of napalm in the morning. The smell...that gasoline smell..."

Sent from my PC36100 using Thaivisa Connect App

If you want to really know what it smelled like pour some gas on a bag of poop and light it. Fire off a string of firecrackers; put them in your hat and jump in a pile of red mud.

I believe that's: "I love the smell of napalm in the morning. The smell...that gasoline smell..."

If you want to really know what it smelled like pour some gas on a bag of poop and light it. Fire off a string of firecrackers; put them in your hat and jump in a pile of red mud.

It's a quote from AN...the movie. Did I say...the movie?

The only reason that rules and laws are created is because a large proportion of the population are breaking the norm of traditions and social hierarchy. Tribes in olden times, didn't need many laws as they didn't go outside these rules until influenced by other civilisations.

The more laws that a country has in an indication of how broken their society is. A law is only created because it will be broken. having to make new laws is always a bad thing

People introduce new laws to protect freedoms we never had before

That entirely depends on what law you are talking about. Laws that are made to prohibit harming ones own health like the war on drugs is just a way for the mafia government to extort money from these dealers and recirculate into another cycle of cats and mice. New laws prohibiting toxic waste being dumped in the ocean, etc are feasible and need to be strongly enforced. But the war on drugs is a no win war, because its the worlds number 1 industry and even those in power with the world bank have cocaine stained bills being deposited...

Tinfoilhat, your argument has been ripped to shreds. Clearly you do NOT know any real addicts

You dance around the issue like someone who knows nothing about the issue.

I call you out.

You know nothing about this issue.

Tossing in random counter arguments is not helping you here either....

Were you wearing Harry Potter clothes as you were typing that? ;)

It's a quote from AN...the movie. Did I say...the movie?

I just thought you might want to get out of a fantasy world and have a real olfactory experience. smile.png

I don't find my freedoms are limited beyond what I want to do in virtually any industrialised country , I think most people who complain are complaining on principle not on actual things they would like to do but can't. There are very few places in the world where a polite repectfull person can't enjoy themselves just fine. It's generally the freedom to be stupid that people complain about not having in places like the usa.

• Like 1

...and most Western countries are much better at that (the US by the way is not on the top of the chart there - crime levels are high).

This isn't that simple. It is very safe and crime levels are low where I am in the US. The heavy crime rates come from the big inner cities among certain ethnic and demographic groups. The reason why is debated and debated by both the wise and the idiot professionals.

60% of one racial group, the part of that group who are high school dropouts, have a prison record!! While that group is only 13% of the US population, it comprises about 50% of the prison population in some areas!

If you add the statistics from the other main minority population, the numbers really look bad.

Yes, if you lump the whole together, you get a bad number. But if you avoid places like inner city Detroit, you won't be affected by it. And why would anyone want to go to Detroit?

The debate rages

The once great Detroit in ruins. Good people have fled. 90% of jobs have fled. The inmates are running the asylum. Steer clear.

Nonsense. The Code of Hammurabi was one of the landmarks of civilization an important first in 1772BC. Back to school for you.smile.png

That's the kind of population that would have been the norm for humans prior to laws being made. Some of the first laws were brought in by the first "peacemakers".

Let's live next to our neighbours and not fight with them. This ultimately led to huge increases in populations and enabled large groups of people, then armies to travel internationally in the search for new lands and resources.

Not sure the order you described is correct. This is the process as far as I know:

The population increased as a result of the agricultural revolution (around 10,000 years ago in the middle east);

As villages grew bigger and small city-states formed, arose the need for central governance (This happened probably 6-7,000 years ago, again in the middle east).

Of course there were no written laws then since no writing was yet invented, so the disputes would just be settled by the local rulers based on tradition and religion.

Later on, the first "real" country was Egypt, around 5,000 years ago. They already had a central government, an army, a tax system, a public sector, and a writing system.

As for the opinion that countries are "bad for us", I do not agree. I prefer living in a modern country then in any other place or time in history.

Not sure the order you described is correct. This is the process as far as I know:

The population increased as a result of the agricultural revolution (around 10,000 years ago in the middle east);

As villages grew bigger and small city-states formed, arose the need for central governance (This happened probably 6-7,000 years ago, again in the middle east).

Of course there were no written laws then since no writing was yet invented, so the disputes would just be settled by the local rulers based on tradition and religion.

Later on, the first "real" country was Egypt, around 5,000 years ago. They already had a central government, an army, a tax system, a public sector, and a writing system.

As for the opinion that countries are "bad for us", I do not agree. I prefer living in a modern country then in any other place or time in history.

If you are interested in the development of civilisation check out the following. Some archeologists are now of the opinion the Hindus Valley civilisation commenced about 7,000 years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indus_Valley_Civilization

Since you are starting with my post I feel I should remind you that I was responding to the following post by "I Like Thai" " The only reason that rules and laws are created is because a large proportion of the population are breaking the norm of traditions and social hierarchy. Tribes in olden times, didn't need many laws as they didn't go outside these rules until influenced by other civilisations. The more laws that a country has in an indication of how broken their society is. A law is only created because it will be broken. having to make new laws is always a bad thing."

To which I responded, " Nonsense. The Code of Hammurabi was one of the landmarks of civilization an important first in 1772BC. Back to school for you.smile.png I think it is well established that the existence of laws contrary to what "I Like Thai" has posted is a sign of advancement of civilizations. This principle has been taught at institutions of higher learning for the past couple of thousand years. Anarchy or absence of laws has never been seriously considered as a sign of humanity or civilization.

Edited by chiangmaikelly

You're missing some of the great pre-egyptian civilisations in Peru, Ecuador, etc. Many civilisations have been lost to us in North America due to the mindless plundering and destruction of more modern city builders.

The common thread through all civilisations is a set of rules to live by. No rules = no civilisation. ;)

you have a deluded sense of freedom, freedom is not in any place.

you can be free anywhere, even in prison.

if you believe your free in a place your less free then most because your seeking freedom, its always on your mind, freedomis not lawlessness.

Good job tarding up this thread with your irrelevant points.

Yes and less video camera's equal MORE FREEDOM,

Now Thailand is copying new yorks police state of putting surveillance on the entire city!

Like the new TV series, "Person of Interest"...

Have you been away on holiday? Welcome back. I'm disappointed no postcard, though.

I've never found that a camera stopped me from doing anything I wanted to, but maybe my ambitions and desires are more acceptable to society than yours

SC

• Like 1