King Power Duty Free

CJB666

Having read the widespread warnings about the scams and corruption at the airport - mainly reported as being perpetrated by King Power and corrupt Airport Police - we were NOT looking forwards to leaving Thailand via this monstrous carbuncle on the remote Thai countryside.

The long 'taxi-meter' taxi drive was bad enough through the usual 24/7 Bangkok rush-hour. On the way we paid the autobahn toll fee, and when we got to the Airport the meter showed 347. We gave the driver 400 for being safe and honest - his eye's lit up with a genuine thank you. At least we had got to the Airport without being involved in a traffic accident or scammed.

We then tied our bags up with numerous straps - covering all with cling film (cheap from a local supermarket). Baggage handlers can't be trusted anywhere - as we know from previous experiences.

Check-in went smoothly with actual airline staff not contractors. We were even wished a good flight - which as Club Class passengers we would have expected.

At Customs, Security and Immigration the Thai staff even smiled and were courteous.

We didn't quite see the point or need for a huge gaudy scupture of a three-headed snake churning up the Atlantic with the help of a bunch of slaves - but never mind. Maybe it was a metaphorical warning about past / present / future turbulance - political, economic, financial, Thai, world affairs?

We found a luggage trolley and put our two small cabin bags onto this.

BUT THEN WE GOT TO THE KING POWER DUTY FREE ZONE. And there they were - all the shops joined together with no real demarcation lines between them. Some had counters right up to the edges so that in order to get from one side of a display to the other you had to briefly step out of the shop zone.

BUT WE KEPT TO THE CENTRAL CORRIDOR. I expressly told my female companion that she should NOT step inside any duty free shops due to King Power's scams. Unfortunately she did - into the Thailand Memories souvenier shop - but she quickly exited when she discovered the astromonical prices for the junk stuff being sold there.

Sadly there were no shops whasoever that sold Thai cultural arts or crafts.

AND IT WAS OBVIOUS THAT THERE WERE MORE EAGLE-EYED SULLEN-FACED DARK-SUITED SECURITY GOONS BLOCKING OUR WAY THAN THERE WERE PASSENGERS. Why?

Then one of the goons with a radio in hand came towards us. His eyes were on my small newish cabin bag (with my laptop inside). He stopped in front of us and asked me what was inside the bag. I refused and asked why did he want to know? He was about to say something else - I suspect that this was to ask us to go to some interrogation room followed by the demand for a bribe etc. as reported by others before - when his radio crackled with a message. He gave me a dirty look and disappeared off to scam some other unfortunate passengers.

It seems that the Airport Police and Security goons are still scamming bona-fide travellers. And we have never felt so intimidated at an airport, even the TSA goons at US Airports are better than these Thai goons.

So we understand that the corruption and scams at the Airport reach right up into Thai Government, so it seems that nothing has been done since the problems at the Airport first surfaced many years ago.

What with all the other Thai scams that we saw and experienced - mainly in Bangkok - it will be a long long time before we set foot in that hateful country again. There are plenty of other countries that would truly welcome our hard-earned tourist dollars.

• Like 1

Sadly, everything you write about King Power is so true. Overpriced tat, and miserable staff.

This year I bought my "duty-free" at Makro - a litre bottle of Stolychniya Vodka for 580 baht, it was worth the 10 baht premium to avoid patronising KP, and so amazing to find that the duty on a litre of Vodka is only 10 baht, or so KP would have you believe. The sooner these money-grabbing dregs are run off the airport the better.

• Like 1

Sadly, everything you write about King Power is so true. Overpriced tat, and miserable staff.

This year I bought my "duty-free" at Makro - a litre bottle of Stolychniya Vodka for 580 baht, it was worth the 10 baht premium to avoid patronising KP, and so amazing to find that the duty on a litre of Vodka is only 10 baht, or so KP would have you believe. The sooner these money-grabbing dregs are run off the airport the better.

I don't imagine they won the airport suty free concessions due to their fabulous pricing policies

• Like 2

That's Thailand for you! Next time, go to Disneyland. After paying for the $100 ticket, the worse that can happen is either you pay $10 for a hot dog lunch or you get stuck on the "It's a small world" ride in two feet of water. Oh... don't forget the $25 mickey mouse ears on your way out.

• Like 1

The OP must be from the East coast of the USA.

Been to the Duty free shops many times, never had a problem or been scammed.

Nor I and I buy monthly, always with a smile and usually a nice little gift as well. Some people just like to complain I guess oh well no worries he'll never be back.

• Like 1

I never buy anything at that unpronounceable (try Suvarnabhumi) airport, I walk to the business lounge without looking left and right, knowing a sofa with food and drinks are awaiting me. Chocolates and wine I buy 12 hours later, In Europe, at decent prices.

Why anyone buys stuff at King Power is beyond me, all is cheaper down town giggle.gif .

The OP must be from the East coast of the USA.

Been to the Duty free shops many times, never had a problem or been scammed.

Agreed. Prices are definitely not the best though. Changi airport for example is much better.

e.g. Biotherme Men's Face Care Set: Central = 2,500B, King Power = 2,100, Changi = 1,700 Baht.

Glenmorangie Quinta Rubin Scotch Whisky: Villa = 2,100 (700ml), King Power (1l) = 1,600, Changi = 1,300 (1l)

For more exclusive products such as single malt whisky, champagne etc, you can still make great savings compared with downtown shops. For cheaper alcohol and health/beauty products the savings are barely noticeable.

KP is a nasty corrupt organisation that many would avoid if it were not a monopoly. Unfortunately it is a monopoly, so we sadly don't always have a choice.

• Like 1

I never buy anything at that unpronounceable (try Suvarnabhumi) airport, I walk to the business lounge without looking left and right, knowing a sofa with food and drinks are awaiting me. Chocolates and wine I buy 12 hours later, In Europe, at decent prices.

Why anyone buys stuff at King Power is beyond me, all is cheaper down town giggle.gif .

I for one would be very grateful if you could point out where in "down town" I could buy a litre of Bombay Sapphire at a price that is less expensive than Suvarnabhumi Duty Free.

"Having read the widespread warnings about the scams and corruption at the airport... it will be a long long time before we set foot in that hateful country again."

An interesting post, with no relationship to reality. It's obvious that you wrote this for another medium, and certainly not this forum. Regardless, we're happy that you've left.

• 3 weeks later...

I have never had a problem and will never have a problem because I refuse to buy anything there. Items I have looked at are no cheaper than at a 7-11. Why bother?

Can you please tell me which 7-11 you use where I can buy my Chanel #5, Christian Dior watch and a Luois Vitton bag cheaper than at KP?

Thanks

• Like 1

"Having read the widespread warnings about the scams and corruption at the airport... it will be a long long time before we set foot in that hateful country again."

An interesting post, with no relationship to reality. It's obvious that you wrote this for another medium, and certainly not this forum. Regardless, we're happy that you've left.

Not entirely true. There was a spate of such incidents a while back, well reported and involving a Sir Lankan "fixer".

But I've never had any problems. I think the OP may be a bit paranoid about it.

the only thing i have bought at KP was a watch. the price was good and i was very happy and still happy with it. i paid be credit card and the only problem was from my bank. when i got home they wrote to me and told me as i used my credit card in thailand they are going to cancel it and issue me a new on.

I have never had a problem and will never have a problem because I refuse to buy anything there. Items I have looked at are no cheaper than at a 7-11. Why bother?

Can you please tell me which 7-11 you use where I can buy my Chanel #5, Christian Dior watch and a Luois Vitton bag cheaper than at KP?

Thanks

I have never had a reason to buy yuppie items like that and have no desire to ever try to impress anyone with hugely overpriced fashion statement things.

• Like 1

Thanks

I have never had a reason to buy yuppie items like that and have no desire to ever try to impress anyone with hugely overpriced fashion statement things.

Then in case you haven't noticed they don't sell those things in 7-11 so your comment was a bit stupid.

I for one would be very grateful if you could point out where in "down town" I could buy a litre of Bombay Sapphire at a price that is less expensive than Suvarnabhumi Duty Free.

...and isn't the Bombay Sapphire at the airport over strength at 47 pc alcohol instead of 40/41pc normally sold in Thailand.

Thanks

Then in case you haven't noticed they don't sell those things in 7-11 so your comment was a bit stupid.

And your was a bit arrogant. See you at Emporium,..

Knowing the corruption behind the company, the owner Vichai and his political affiliations, I do not shop at King Power nor support that man nor his family nor his corrupt business practices.

I buy at Duty Free in other countries' airports on a fairly regular basis.

Additionally I have had a couple of bad experiences at Suvarnabhumi, one involving King Power staff being very rude to me in Thai (assuming I couldn't understand) and the other being stopped and searched for excess tobacco by fraudsters claiming to be Police when I was waiting on a taxi after arriving from Dubai.

It's a shame really as I have had pleasant experiences with staff there also but the bad in this case definitely outweighs the good.

• Like 1

And your was a bit arrogant. See you at Emporium,..

Seems like you want to beat Gary A for the most useless post of the year award.

You don't actually buy this WAY overpriced yuppie designer stuff.......or do you? If you do, you are a genuine arrogant more money than sense type of person.