Ex-Senator's Death Sentence Upheld: Bangkok

webfact

DOCTOR'S MURDER

Ex-senator's death sentence upheld

THE NATION

30193057-01_big.jpg

Three hired to kill physician Nitcharee in 1996 over business row get life terms after aiding probe

BANGKOK: -- The Supreme Court has upheld the death sentence handed down by lower courts to former senator Sukhum Cherdchuen for ordering the assassination of a Chulalongkorn Hospital doctor 16 years ago, as well as the life sentences given to three other defendants.

It is believed Sukhum had the doctor killed following business conflicts, and that he subsequently committed fraudulent activities.

Reading the verdict yesterday, Criminal Court judges quoted the Supreme Court judges as saying that Sukhum's "not guilty" plea, along with those by Sarawuth Chaiyasing and Wichian Kittithanakhorn, were unacceptable. They cited the testimony of a man who was paid to be a lookout during the assassination who supplied crucial evidence proving that all four defendants were responsible for the death of anaesthetist Dr Nitcharee Makarasarn.

Nitcharee was killed on October 25, 1996 - 16 years to the day prior to the reading of the verdict.

Suspect Chatphat Kittithanakorn, who was sentenced to a life term for finding the hit team for Sukhum, died in prison before the Court of Appeals announced its verdict on June 26, 2009. Convicted gunman Thanasak Yimdee, who also faces life in prison, said he would not contest the verdict handed down by the Criminal Court on July 7, 2004.

According to court documents, a team of three men shot Nitcharee in the early morning of October 25, 1996 while she was driving out of her home in the Huai Khwang area of Bangkok. She died instantly after taking five bullets. The Criminal Court verdict verified the defendants' roles, saying that Thanasak was the gunman, Sarawuth the motorcycle rider and Wichian served as another lookout.

Chatphat was also found to have provided the murder weapon and ammunition for the hit team - an 11mm automatic military-use pistol. The confession of the three members of the hit team - which later earned them leniency for cooperation, seeing the court commute their original death penalties to life terms - implicated Sukhum. The former senator has pleaded not guilty all along, right from the initial police investigation and during the trial, and later in his two appeals.

Sukhum and Nitcharee became business partners after a brief romantic interlude, which was cited in several news reports. The victim later made Sukhum the director of a school owned by her family. Court documents acknowledged that the pair had several conflicts, especially when Nitcharee's mother gave Sukhum Bt200 million to buy land plots in Phetchaburi despite her daughter and husband's advice against it. Sukhum later exploited his girlfriend's mother's trust by turning the plot into a golf course and resort, which eventually lost money.

Sukhum also quarrelled with Nitcharee over losses at a company they co-owned that sold used cars and motorcycles and also collected unpaid debts. Sukhum is also fighting an eight-year imprisonment sentence for forging documents in a case filed by Nitcharee's mother and father, both of whom have since died.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-10-26

Yet another fine example of a senior politician and his principles, ''I am a senator I do what I want you can't touch me,'' attitude on display.

I remember the case and it was indeed a squalid affair with more twists than a corkscrew, at last justice has been served on a hardened callous swindling habitual liar of a criminal.

Well put

Judging from his attire, I'd say he's got a VIP cell, if and when he spends any time in prison.

It looks that way. The guy behind him, presumably one of his accomplices, is wearing the more traditional prison garb of a remand prisoner with clunking chains and the red arm band of a prisoner who could get the death sentence. Perhaps Sukhum was on bail all the way up to the Supreme Court hearing. Anyway a nasty piece of work who contrary to expectations has been unable to worm his way out of having to account for his callous crime.