Big Bikes Manufactured In Thailand

natnatnatnat

Hello Room

So, Thai visa has a THai back section too, very good!

Does anyone know which big bikes are manufactured and sold new in Thailand now? Before we had none, I think. I am interested in buying my husband one for his 45th suprise birthday. One that he can keep and use when we are in Thailand.

Can some advise what is available locally? And also, what do you suggest for a big man he is 1m95cm. He doesn't like racing bikes more sit up version or motorcross/on road mixes like the Duaccatti Monsters and Honda 400 weeba.

Thank you

Nat

Kawasaki is still the best option for over 600cc bikes, as they are made here and not taxed. Parts are available locally and service is "good" relatively speaking. The Ninja 650 is a faired sport touring bike, ER6n is a naked sport touring bike, and Versys is an adventure touring bike.Each are similarly designed. All are around 280k baht. The Ducati Monster 795 is also made locally now (It's a lower spec, shorter Asian version of the 796) will probably be to small for someone 1.95m. 399k baht. If you are going to make a bike purchase like this, I would make sure you know what kind of bike he likes. If he is a chopper guy, he might not want any of those. The Honda CB400 you will find old ones for 50-70k. They are a hassle to keep running. Not recommended.

Edited by NomadJoe

Ok, i'm 195 cm and can tell right away you should avoid the crotch rockets

previously mentioned.

I suggest a Honda Steed 600.

It's a chopper type of bike, head up & arse down, Steed are plentiful in Thailand,

a Steed 600 in good condition can be bought for 130.000 baht

previously mentioned.

It's a chopper type of bike, head up & arse down, Steed are plentiful in Thailand,

Not sure a second hand bike without a warranty would make a good birthday present.

The point with Steed is they are plentiful with lots of cheap spare parts,

and the point with 600 instead of 400 is a fair bit more power,

yet the spare parts are the same.

Also makes no sense to buy a new bike if he havn't been riding for a couple of years and found his call.

I know i will drive no more than a couple of km per week, on an average.

Still i dont regret i bought it, at least i tried it.

Also makes no sense to buy a new bike if he havn't been riding for a couple of years and found his call.

I am not saying its a bad bike on the contrary its great for thailand. We tv regulars on the bike forum all know the possibe problems with buying a used bike in thailand. Personally i prefer used because of the depreciation . On the other hand if she buys one with book issues, engine issues, brake issue or dated tires etcetc! it might not make a great present.

I guess her budget and some previous bikes the husband has owned would help.

• Like 1

Kawasaki is still the best option for over 600cc bikes, as they are made here and not taxed. Parts are available locally and service is "good" relatively speaking. The Ninja 650 is a faired sport touring bike, ER6n is a naked sport touring bike, and Versys is an adventure touring bike.Each are similarly designed. All are around 280k baht. The Ducati Monster 795 is also made locally now (It's a lower spec, shorter Asian version of the 796) will probably be to small for someone 1.95m. 399k baht. If you are going to make a bike purchase like this, I would make sure you know what kind of bike he likes. If he is a chopper guy, he might not want any of those. The Honda CB400 you will find old ones for 50-70k. They are a hassle to keep running. Not recommended.

Thanks Nomadjoe. Actually he likes Harley's but I am not spending a million baht on a bike he will use only a couple of times a year. THe Versys looks good and looks like the highest seat. Will forget the Ducati. Thanks

previously mentioned.

Hi Paonoi

IS the Vrsys a pocket rocket? (funny word combintation!)

I think it looks like a hugh bike like the ones on the Bangladesh Dhaka ralley?

He'd like a Steed but all the ones I see advertised are so old and well used

I am not saying its a bad bike on the contrary its great for thailand. We tv regulars on the bike forum all know the possibe problems with buying a used bike in thailand. Personally i prefer used because of the depreciation . On the other hand if she buys one with book issues, engine issues, brake issue or dated tires etcetc! it might not make a great present.

I guess her budget and some previous bikes the husband has owned would help.

Budget is not really an issue but just dont want to waste money (ie milllion on harley for him to ride for a few days a year). Dont want something he will need to spend time fixing as its for fun not a chore. And he has previously ridden BMW off road type, as used in the Dhaka ralley. He also likes choppers. And he rode around India on a Transam? It likes like a big tall off road bike (im not really knowledgable as you can see).

I just know he hates sports bikes as they give him back and ball ache.

This is the reason they are called crotch rocket :)

You see, on a racer kind of bike, you sit in a fetal position with the brunt of your weight

right on your nuts. It also makes it impossible for guys like us to shift to 2nd gear,

since our legs are long and we just cant bend our foot up enough.

You will make a good deal if you have patience for someting to come up,or lose ~15.000 baht if you havn't got the patience,but still better than losing 200.000 baht in depreciation by buying a new bike.

A Steed isn't going to be a maintenance hog, perhaps an electric cable is off and perhaps not.

I think i walked around looking for what i really wanted for almost a year before i found it.

If you are lucky, i will sell my 1100 in a bundle with a couple of scooters and leave this place

Well, the best deals are not at the bike shops, there is a premium for that.

The best deal i saw was on a notice board at BigC,

that is where i quoted 130.000 baht for Steed 600.

But since you are short on time rather than money, go and look at bike shops.

ed: i want to say one thing though !, take a look at the exhaust system so the pipes

will not burn leg/foot while driving. Some dumb made bikes out there regardless of brand

Edited by poanoi

Budget is not really an issue but just dont want to waste money (ie milllion on harley for him to ride for a few days a year). Dont want something he will need to spend time fixing as its for fun not a chore. And he has previously ridden BMW off road type, as used in the Dhaka ralley. He also likes choppers. And he rode around India on a Transam? It likes like a big tall off road bike (im not really knowledgable as you can see).

I think you mean Transalp (from Honda) not Transam. If he picks dual purpose bikes, e.g., the BMW and Transalp, then he would like the similar upright riding position of the Versys. It's not an off-roader but it's roughly equivalent to the ones you mentioned, plus parts and service are widely available.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

Oh and about the versys, what would one a year or maximum two old cost? He's very tight and will probably moan a bit about the 'drive off forecourt' cost I think its called in Thailand when the value drops 10% when you take it away from the dealer....

Get him a Versys as it's a surprise, as for new you could wait a good while, secondhand there are good ones out there, thaivisa has adds and also other places, mine was 1 year old for 230,000 baht with over 50,000baht of extras, I luv it and having had bikes all my life and at 65 your husband at 45 will I am sure like it, if not, not a problem someone will snatch up quick enough don't you or him worry. biggrin.png

Edited by Kwasaki

Of he likeså harley and chopper style, why not a kawasaki vulkan... New, book, no Hasle, reliable, comfy... But pricy at 460.000thb for only a few days a year... Maybe rent instead... If he like bikes...

Suggestion would be the versys, due to the fact of price and size... Good luck and hope you can surprise him on he ay after posting this... Pictures of your decision would be nice...