Second Anti-Govt Rally Planned At Government House: Thailand

webfact

Second rally planned at Government House

Kesinee Taengkhiew

The Nation

30193175-01_big.jpg?1351465419117

Boonlert Kaewprasit, leader of the Pitak Siam group, yesterday addresses an anti-government rally at the Royal Turf Club, whose nearly all 20,000 seats were filled.

20,000 attend anti-govt protest by Pitak Siam at Royal Turf Club

BANGKOK: -- The surprisingly successful first rally against the Yingluck Shinawatra government called by the Pitak Siam movement at the Royal Turf Club yesterday was just a "warm-up" for a bigger demonstration at Government House, leaders said.

"We can't let the government go on working or else the country will suffer more damage," retired Army general Boonlert Kaewprasit told the stadium, which was at near full capacity of 20,000 seats.

Other leading opponents of the government who took to the stage to attack the premier, her brother, former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, and the government were Seree Wongmontha, Tul Sitthisomwong and hard-liner activist Prasong Soonsiri.

The crowd cheered and applauded when the speakers took turns condemning the government's failures and calling on Yingluck to step down, claiming she was not suitable for the position.

Boonlert went up on the stage at 1:30pm and called the current government "a puppet of Thaksin". He said Thaksin had looked down on Thais by believing that he could send anyone to become the prime minister.

"I've invited you, the people, to rally today to stop the work of this government immediately," he told the audience.

The government had done nothing to stop several people from attacking and violating the royal family, he said, adding that the government also lacked good governance but practiced massive corruption.

He urged the participants of the initial rally to come back for the next one and bring along 100 more sympathisers each.

He said he was happy that the turnout was so huge, as he had expected 10,000.

The Pitak Siam (Protect Siam) group would hold a meeting with its allies to decide on the date for the next rally and on the strategy for bringing the government down.

Tul said his multicoloured-shirt group and the allies should have a clear idea by late next week of how to move against the government.

It would be called a two-staged plan for ousting the government.

The next gathering of the movement would be in front of Government House.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-10-29

• Like 1

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At long last, the seeds of discontent are starting to grow in numbers.

I hope they grow & have a good harvest, if as good as the rice crop then the government will be in trouble.

Are you hoping for more riots, airport seizures, military coups, corrupt political courts so the democrats can get back in?

I know they can't win an election but that is too extreme for me.

No I don't wish for any of the above as you state, if it takes a change in government to make the changes needed then so be it, if however this ruling party get the message that enough is enough it's now time to start working for the people then a wake up call is good enough for me.

Police estimated the crowd at 6,000

1. The venue has 20,000 seats and they nearly all taken. Is this a guess or an estimate? No, in fact a quite good way of getting a fairly accurate estimate of the crowd which cannot be disputed.

2. Police estimate (guess) 6,000. Do the Thai police have a good track record of estimating crowd numbers? No.

3. Do the Thai police strongly align themselves to anything of benfefit to their 'brother'? Yes. And that would possibly include a deliberate low number on the crowd estimate on this rally.

• Like 1

I hope they grow & have a good harvest, if as good as the rice crop then the government will be in trouble.

Are you hoping for more riots, airport seizures, military coups, corrupt political courts so the democrats can get back in?

No I don't wish for any of the above as you state, if it takes a change in government to make the changes needed then so be it, if however this ruling party get the message that enough is enough it's now time to start working for the people then a wake up call is good enough for me.

And the 'wake up call' is a 'wake up call' for all!

Both / all parties must know that the day will come when the public will stand up and be vocal with logical and structured discussion (I didn't say violent, as so quickly suggested by paul jones).

Been drinking the purple Kool-Aid that The Nation puts out every morning, eh?

• Like 2

Excellent - Thai's finally doing something about Thailand's future. It will be hard to wrest power from this bunch of crooks in Government but the seeds of discontent are obvious, even amongst some traditional Red supporters.

Those greedy unethical crooks. I hear his son has two Boeing 737s paid for by taxpayers.

That's interesting, do you have any details to share, please.

And the 'wake up call' is a 'wake up call' for all!

Both / all parties must know that the day will come when the public will stand up and be vocal with logical and structured discussion (I didn't say violent, as so quickly suggested by paul jones).

Why not have a fair vote and the losers vow to not riot or use the Army to nullify the outcome.

• Like 1

Agreed...

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Why not have a fair vote and the losers vow to not riot or use the Army to nullify the outcome.

Yes I would agree to that if the voting was FAIR.. & impartial

but we all know from past experience that vote buying is rampant & the red lemmings too brainless to think for themselves.

Judging from the photographs the attendance was somewhat better than the average Red Shirt rally, popular support for the removal of the current maladministration seems to be rising.

The bills are just starting to arrive for the money plundering junket that this current maladministration is engaged in and the public are waking up to the fact.i

Note there were no rabid speeches,nor it seems aggressive behavioral problems a total difference to the Red Shirt demonstrations we have become accustomed to seeing.

Attendance was in my view judging from the photographs is far in advance of the 6,000 quoted by the police,seems as if the bias of the police might just be showing.

A pertinent judgement on this current maladministration.

• Like 2

So, are we turning back the clocks to 2006 or 2008?

Seems like a re-boot is starting to be on the cards again. Groundhog day is approaching.

I do however despise the fact that they keep dragging lese majeste issues into these rallies, because, by its very nature it cannot be discussed and serves as an incontrovertible part of the discussion, leading to irrational political discussion. There are thousands of political issues for which any government can be held accountable, it isn't as though there aren't enough to pin on PTP.

As reported here, it may appear that this was the first issue raised in the rally.

The government had done nothing to stop several people from attacking and violating the royal family, he said, adding that the government also lacked good governance but practiced massive corruption

Surely massive corruption is enough???

• Like 1

Well lets just put one issue to bed.. at least for now.

The venue holds 20,000 seats, it was stated as being nearly full.

estimates range from 6,000 to 50,000 lets have another educated guess.. if almost full then it's almost 20,000 !!

enough said !

estimates range from 6,000 to 50,000 lets have another educated guess.. if almost full then it's almost 20,000 !!

enough said !

So 18,000 - 20,000 would be a fair estimation then, on that basis?

Police estimated the crowd at 6,000

yes but the 20.000 signed in and copied their ID card (they copied something so I think it is the ID card).

So these 20K are confirmed. But a lot people went in without registering, like all my staff. They told the lines were very long so they walked in without.

So more like 30.000 were there.

enough said !

So 18,000 - 20,000 would be a fair estimation then, on that basis?

More because everywhere people sat, on the floor, on the stairs on the grass