Dr. Suwan Sanmee - Sriphat

bjohn34

I recently had open colon resection surgery at Sriphat and would like to recommend both the surgeon and the hospital.

The surgeon was Dr. Suwan Sanmee, who has regular office hours at Sriphat Medical Center 13th floor. He was very thorough in examination and explanation of conditions and the surgical procedure, speaks very good English and is frank and clear in what he says but has a good personal manner. He was in the hospital every day of my 10 day stay to check my progress

My surgery was three weeks ago today and I have had no recovery issues so far and no pain that cannot be handled with a Tylenol once or twice a day despite a 25-30 cm new abdominal zipper.

Dr. Suwan does laparoscopic gastro intestinal surgery also but my condition was advanced enough that it was not appropriate.

Based on experience so far. I would highly recommend Dr. Suwan as someone to consider for abdominal or intestinal issues.

Also, I stayed in a private room on the 15th floor of Sriphat and have nothing but praise for the nursing and service staff there.

• Like 1

Congratulations on the success of your surgery, I hope all continues to go well.

I have found very little regarding this doctor on the net, except his phone number and email address.

Did you just go to Sripat and ask to see a gastro surgeon or was he recommended?

I presume you had a battery of tests first?

Would you mind telling us what the total cost of this surgery was?

Once again good luck and speedy recovery. smile.png

Congratulations on the success of your surgery, I hope all continues to go well.

I have found very little regarding this doctor on the net, except his phone number and email address.

Did you just go to Sripat and ask to see a gastro surgeon or was he recommended?

I would also like a sketchy definition of abdominal zipper.

No need to go into to much detail.

You have to be joking! You honestly can't figure it out?

Does this doctor also do hernia operations? Also like Uptheos would you mind telling us how much it cost both for the operation and your hospital stay. I think its good if we have an idea how much various proceedures cost in Chiang Mai. Thanks

What kind of hernia? Inguinal, umbilical, hiatal -- or other?? Those types of hernia operations are almost always performed by a general surgeon and not a colo-rectal surgeon. Some have been trained with the laparoscope and others not.

I had colonoscopy and CT scans done first at RAM. Was not really impressed by surgeon there although can't really say anything bad but was hoping to get by with laparoscopic procedure and RAm surgeon said he did not have experience. Checked at Sriphat and Dr. Suwan does do laparoscopic so went to see him. He reviewed all of the RAM test data and told me he would try to do laparascopic procedure but after taking a look inside, might have to change to open surgery to be able to look around and assess other organs, etc. That is what happened. Surgery took four hours.

Total cost at Sriphat for 10 days private room, all surgical, medication and nursing cost was 136,000 baht

Zipper remark just refers to the current appearance of the surgical opening which runs from just under my breast bone to 10 cm below my navel.

I don't know if he does hernia repair.

I had colonoscopy and CT scans done first at RAM. Was not really impressed by surgeon there although can't really say anything bad but was hoping to get by with laparoscopic procedure and RAm surgeon said he did not have experience. Checked at Sriphat and Dr. Suwan does do laparoscopic so went to see him. He reviewed all of the RAM test data and told me he would try to do laparascopic procedure but after taking a look inside, might have to change to open surgery to be able to look around and assess other organs, etc. That is what happened. Surgery took four hours.

Total cost at Sriphat for 10 days private room, all surgical, medication and nursing cost was 136,000 baht

Zipper remark just refers to the current appearance of the surgical opening which runs from just under my breast bone to 10 cm below my navel.

Thank you - get well. smile.png

Thank you for sharing the information.

Does this doctor also do hernia operations? Also like Uptheos would you mind telling us how much it cost both for the operation and your hospital stay. I think its good if we have an idea how much various proceedures cost in Chiang Mai. Thanks

What kind of hernia? Inguinal, umbilical, hiatal -- or other?? Those types of hernia operations are almost always performed by a general surgeon and not a colo-rectal surgeon. Some have been trained with the laparoscope and others not.

Inguinal. But I am looking for laparascopic surgery.

Dr Seree Senaratana is a general surgeon who is often highly recommended.

However, he only works at Ram (since 1993) and I'm not sure about laparoscopy.

It will only cost a few hundred baht to speak to him for starters though, as I'm sure you'll get at least two opinions.

Here's his CV

http://www.chiangmai...CV th/Seree.pdf

Edit: Speaks excellent English.

Edited by uptheos
  • Like 1

It will only cost a few hundred baht to speak to him for starters though, as I'm sure you'll get at least two opinions.

Here's his CV

Thank you for the information. Will try to make an appointment with him when I go to the Ram next week for other issues.

Well after reading The OP answer I can. I really don't know a lot of these things because I tend to stay away from health food shops.

Thank you for your curtious reply.

There you go a chance to put your spell check hat on. It is a freebee from me to you. You can no longer say I never did any thing for you.

Your Welcomegiggle.gif

Well after reading The OP answer I can. I really don't know a lot of these things because I tend to stay away from health food shops.

Dolly, what's the connection with health food shops?

Dolly, what's the connection with health food shops?

Eat all that stuff and I might need all these fancy operations.

Inguinal. But I am looking for laparascopic surgery.

I am interested in this as well as i have become a member of the hernia club with no ins.!

I've used Dr. Ekachai at Ram (General Surgeon) for removal of a basal cell carcinoma on my neck. Required use of the operating theater as I waited a bit too long having it checked and a 5cm incision. My experience in terms of his manner, professionalism and willing to discuss was all positive. Can not comment on more major surgery, perhaps others have had experience with him. His CV shows laparoscopic surgery. Ekachai - pdf

I've used Dr. Ekachai at Ram (General Surgeon) for removal of a basal cell carcinoma on my neck. Required use of the operating theater as I waited a bit too long having it checked and a 5cm incision. My experience in terms of his manner, professionalism and willing to discuss was all positive. Can not comment on more major surgery, perhaps others have had experience with him. His CV shows laparoscopic surgery. Ekachai - pdf

Thanks Tywais, sounds really interesting.

I presume it the same Dr. Ekacai Paiboonworachat on the pinned list and if so perhaps a link to his CV would be useful as it gives a lot of information.

Cheers

Edited by uptheos

Those who need inguinal hernia surgery should not worry so much. It is a very straightforward procedure having been in practice for literally hundreds of years. My experience when interviewing surgeons in the USA to repair my hernia was that they only do laparoscopic hernia surgery when both sides need repair. For one side, the open technique is used. (I don't know about here). It is a simple procedure. Mine was done in an outpatient surgery center. The surgeon had about 8 patients lined up for the same procedure the morning I had mine done. They give you anesthesia, make the incision, insert the plastic mesh, put 2 stitches to hold it in place, and glue the incision back together. I only had a very small amount of pain for about 1 or 2 days. Recuperation time at home can be a week or so. It is important to begin walking, swimming, or other light exercise as quickly as possible so the muscles are used and the stiffness is worked out. Otherwise you will have limited movement and a "tugging" sensation.

Here's his CV

Yes. I agree. Surgeon Seree does come highly recommended.

In my own experience - he has operated on me for a hernia and serious abdominal surgery following chronic pancreatis.

He is very competent, and as you state has excellent English.

Here's his CV

Yes. I agree. Surgeon Seree does come highly recommended.

In my own experience - he has operated on me for a hernia and serious abdominal surgery following chronic pancreatis.

He is very competent, and as you state has excellent English.

I think he is another that Chiangmai could put on the General Surgeon's list complete with CV.

I know he has a good reputation and a CV attached gives a lot of information to people too.

Your personal experience also warrants him being put on the list.

Edited by uptheos

Those who need inguinal hernia surgery should not worry so much. It is a very straightforward procedure having been in practice for literally hundreds of years. My experience when interviewing surgeons in the USA to repair my hernia was that they only do laparoscopic hernia surgery when both sides need repair. For one side, the open technique is used. (I don't know about here). It is a simple procedure. Mine was done in an outpatient surgery center. The surgeon had about 8 patients lined up for the same procedure the morning I had mine done. They give you anesthesia, make the incision, insert the plastic mesh, put 2 stitches to hold it in place, and glue the incision back together. I only had a very small amount of pain for about 1 or 2 days. Recuperation time at home can be a week or so. It is important to begin walking, swimming, or other light exercise as quickly as possible so the muscles are used and the stiffness is worked out. Otherwise you will have limited movement and a "tugging" sensation.

any thoughts on the cost of this and my options--im not working and no insurance--hurts!!

any thoughts on the cost of this and my options--im not working and no insurance--hurts!!

I would begin with the recommendations of Tywais, Gladiator and Uptheos. It will only cost you what - about 300-350 Baht to go and have a consultation with the surgeon(s) at RAM that they recommended. If you find the price too high for your budget, then you could check out Sriphat or even Suan Dok on the same campus. Suan Dok would be the least expensive of the three. If you decide to have it done at Sriphat or Suan Dok, just be sure to 'interview' the general surgeon you consult with. Ask him/her how many hernias they have repaired, what brand of mesh material they use (you don't want some cheap, Chinese plastic in your body!), etc. It's a fairly simple operation (I was in and out and back home within about 4 hours time). You will feel 100% better after your surgery! I began feeling better by the next day.

As for cost I can only tell you what I paid in the USA which was US $4,000.00. The surgeon told me he had repaired more than 5,000 hernias and I liked him so I went with him. I am certain you will only have to pay a fraction of that here.

Best of luck and get it done soon. You will feel so much better afterwards!

Edited by elektrified
  • Like 1

I would begin with the recommendations of Tywais, Gladiator and Uptheos. It will only cost you what - about 300-350 Baht to go and have a consultation with the surgeon(s) at RAM that they recommended.

Consultations are generally inexpensive and people should always see at least two surgeons before making a decision IMO.

• Like 1