Are Thai Ghosts/spirits Different ?

Neeranam

Posted Today, 13:35

snapback.pngNeeranam, on 2012-10-31 12:35:49, said:

So, to take one example of someone I admire - the Dalai Lama - is he weak-minded or gullible, according to your enlightened self?

snapback.pngNeeranam, on 2012-10-31 12:41:59, said:

What about Mahatma Gandhi, Mother Theresa?

What about them? Not taking the piss, just trying to understand your point. None of the three you mention would have much agreement about higher levels of reality.

But I agree that all three are very likely to have a more accurate picture of such than most people, including myself for sure.

The point being that KarenB said belief in ghosts was for the weak-minded, gullible and superstitious. I asked which of these traits she thought HH was.

Gandhi was a Hindu, and Hindus believe in ghosts.

M. Theresa was Catholic, who also believe in ghosts.

How many Buddhists, Hindus and Christians are there in the world? About 3.5 Billion. They all belive in ghosts. And what about Muslims and other religions - I know Jews believe in ghosts,

I feel sorry for her having such a closed mind. Saying things like reincarnation doesn't happen is such an example of total closed-mindedness.

25 years ago. however, I would have have said similar things to her as I was closed-minded and basically asleep to reality. But after travelling to India and having spiritual experiences I changed. Also recovering from a progressive, fatal disease through spiritual means completely changed my view on such matters. Going on Mahayana Buddhist retreats and meeting the Dalai Lama opened my mind to many ideas/philosophies.

You never realise you were sleeping until you wake up.

There are many things that the human senses can't sense. Just like the bat who doesn't believe in the moon as he'[s never seen it.

Edited by Neeranam
  • Like 2

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In fact I have no interest in trying to convince people to change their beliefs if I think they do no harm, there's enough harmful falsehoods in the world that need fixing first.

That's good. At least you are not like the majority of religions which in the past would kill you in the attempt.

Do you know how hard it is to be an atheist in some parts of the world? America included.

It shouldn't be hard to be an atheist in any part of the world. It would only get hard when you try to tell other people that they should be atheists as well. If you kept your beliefs to yourself, then no one would know or care what you believe.

Why should America be different to any other place in the world ?

In fact I have no interest in trying to convince people to change their beliefs if I think they do no harm, there's enough harmful falsehoods in the world that need fixing first.

That's good. At least you are not like the majority of religions which in the past would kill you in the attempt.

Do you know how hard it is to be an atheist in some parts of the world? America included.

It shouldn't be hard to be an atheist in any part of the world. It would only get hard when you try to tell other people that they should be atheists as well. If you kept your beliefs to yourself, then no one would know or care what you believe.

I'd say that many atheists believe in ghosts due to all the evidence.

So, to take one example of someone I admire - the Dalai Lama - is he weak-minded or gullible, according to your enlightened self?

What about them? Not taking the piss, just trying to understand your point. None of the three you mention would have much agreement about higher levels of reality.

But I agree that all three are very likely to have a more accurate picture of such than most people, including myself for sure.

The point being that KarenB said belief in ghosts was for the weak-minded, gullible and superstitious. I asked which of these traits she thought HH was.

I feel sorry for her having such a closed mind. Saying things like reincarnation doesn't happen is such an example of total closed-mindedness.

25 years ago. however, I would have have said similar things to her as I was closed-minded and basically asleep to reality. But after travelling to India and having spiritual experiences I changed. Also recovering from a progressive, fatal disease through spiritual means completely changed my view on such matters. Going on Mahayana Buddhist retreats and meeting the Dalai Lama opened my mind to many ideas/philosophies.

There are many things that the human senses can't sense. Just like the bat who doesn't believe in the moon as he'[s never seen it.

What a complete pile of steaming cobblers.

I really did laugh my arse off.

Please explain how you sensed something without your human senses?

Bat's do have eyesight.....they just don't use it for navigation. Maybe you should brush-up on your hard science.

Are you saying that just because Mother Theresa and Gandhi believed, that should be enough for me to believe?

Sorry, Neeranam. I've been on TV for many years and I know your history which held many problems in the past.

Seems to me that your whole life you have been seeking a nice comfy crutch and you've managed to find quite a few. At least they're not as destructive as previous ones you've used.

Edited by KarenBravo

Hard scientific evidence please.......not from new-age blogs. Thanks.

I imagine it would be hard, if not downright dangerous, to be an Atheist in a fundamentalist Muslim culture. Keeping that belief to oneself just wouldn't work. Questions would be asked as to why you weren't attending the mosque or praying five times a day. Being an Atheist would be akin to having an allegiance with the devil.

What a complete pile of steaming cobblers.

I really did laugh my arse off.

Bat's do have eyesight.....they just don't use it for navigation. Maybe you should brush-up on your hard science.

Are you saying that just because Mother Theresa and Gandhi believed, that should be enough for me to believe?

Sorry, Neeranam. I've been on TV for many years and I know your history which held many problems in the past.

Seems to me that your whole life you have been seeking a nice comfy crutch and you've managed to find quite a few. At least they're not as destructive as previous ones you've used.

Well I'm happy, you make me laugh and I make you laugh!

I'll pray for you.... oh I suppose you'll say that is for the weak-minded too.:cheesy:

As for the bats - they have senses we don't and we have ones other animals don't. Change it to pigs - they can't look up, so they only have faith in the existence of the moon.

Admittedly, not so hard in the USA as other places, but, should you decide to seek public office, you could never get elected.

There isn't a single self-declared atheist in public office in the USA. Wonder why that is? Could be atheists are discriminated against?

Edited by KarenBravo

Not at all as long as you don't go on about it, maybe give a socially-required lip service to keep from being killed or bypassed for promotion if needed.

And even if it's the case that organized religions have generally done more harm than good in the world historically, doesn't mean there isn't any validity to the phenomena that triggered their creation, or the underlying ideas at their core, most of which are shared across all times and cultures.

Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater.

• Like 1

Not at all as long as you don't go on about it, maybe give a socially-required lip service to keep from being killed or bypassed for promotion if needed.

And even if it's the case that organized religions have generally done more harm than good in the world historically, doesn't mean there isn't any validity to the phenomena that triggered their creation, or the underlying ideas at their core, most of which are shared across all times and cultures.

Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater.

The only validity I see is the common fear of all peoples (cultures) of nothingness after death.

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 1

I've been on TV for many years and I know your history which held many problems in the past.

Aaaah Karen. Attacking the poster rather than the post.

The last refuge of the defeated.

• Like 1

Yet......even the Christians get death wrong.

They are convinced that they will go to heaven and meet all their loved ones.

Yet, if you read the Bible, everyone stays dead until Judgement day when blah, blah, blah "and the sea shall give up the dead".

According to the Bible, heaven and hell are presently empty.

Large swaths of mankind used to believe in Zeus and the Greek god living on Mount Olympus, or, the Roman gods, or, the Egyptian gods, or, Norse gods.

Where are these gods now?

I'm with John Lennon on this one:-

Imagine there's no heaven

It's easy if you try

No hell below us

Above us only sky

Imagine all the people living for today

Imagine there's no countries

It isn't hard to do

Nothing to kill or die for

And no religion too

Imagine all the people living life in peace

Edited by KarenBravo
  • Like 1

You'd be very wrong.

Most atheists take the extreme pseudo-scientific "skeptic" POV KarenBravo's exhibiting.

I'm the most open-minded atheist I know and I certainly don't believe in "ghosts" as such.

However I do concede that it's quite possible that there are phenomena we don't understand that people have interpreted as such, there may very well be ways for different physical dimensions of space and time to interact or something to explain them whatever I don't know.

My main point is I don't just say "everything not fully explained by today's level of "hard science" is total BS and impossible, ir our current instruments can't detect it therefore it doesn't exist" because anyone looking at the evolution of human knowledge knows that has proven to be false at every stage so far, why should this one be any difference?

• Like 2

I've been on TV for many years and I know your history which held many problems in the past.

Not attacking the poster at all. I've always liked Neeranam, especially in the old days, but, he knows what I mean.

Defeated?

Yes I will admit defeat when you can point me to some scientific proof that backs up your beliefs.

I've told you, I have an open mind that can be changed.

I wasn't aware that the notion of ghosts here on Earth is part of that dogma.

I know many many fervent Christians that definitely don't believe in ghosts.

Do you yourself really believe in them, like after you die, the sensory awareness and self-conscious personality that you call "I" becomes a body-less spirit that can float around in the world amongst the living, and see and hear and mess with us?

What is your nationality, religion and cultural background if you don't mind revealing that?

Admittedly, not so hard in the USA as other places, but, should you decide to seek public office, you could never get elected.

There isn't a single self-declared atheist in public office in the USA. Wonder why that is? Could be atheists are discriminated against?

Not discrimination, most people would prefer that someone representing them would have a similar belief system to themselves. Why would anyone vote for someone who didn't represent their views on life and the world.

Not discrimination, most people would prefer that someone representing them would have a similar belief system to themselves. Why would anyone vote for someone who didn't represent their views on life and the world.

Please google "discrimination against atheist in the usa".

There is lots there that may change your mind.

Not attacking the poster at all. I've always liked Neeranam, especially in the old days, but, he knows what I mean.

Defeated?

Yes I will admit defeat when you can point me to some scientific proof that backs up your beliefs.

You show me where Science has created life from non life.

Logic is not a word that these new-age nutters and religious types understand.

Logical minds allow a possibility for the impossible whistling.gif

3star.gifThumbsUp.gifThumbsDwn.gifWhen you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.

Do you know how ironic it is to quote that quote when you are supporting ghosts and other paranormal <deleted>?

They ARE the impossible (no evidence seen), therefore what remains must be the truth. i.e. they don't and have never existed.

It's an Arthur Conan Doyle quote. The man was very interested in the "spirit world", yet, I'm sure his most famous creation would laugh his arse off at the belief in ghosts.

Logic is not a word that these new-age nutters and religious types understand.

Logical minds allow a possibility for the impossible whistling.gif

3star.gifThumbsUp.gifThumbsDwn.gifWhen you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.

Do you know how ironic it is to quote that quote when you are supporting ghosts and other paranormal <deleted>?

They ARE the impossible (no evidence seen), therefore what remains must be the truth. i.e. they don't and have never existed.

It's an Arthur Conan Doyle quote. The man was very interested in the "spirit world", yet, I'm sure his most famous creation would laugh his arse off at the belief in ghosts.

I think you have the wrong poster. Nowhere, either in this thread or any other have I supported the belief in ghosts.

Science doesn't have to "create" life, just explain (one day) how nature did.

And they've made some pretty decent progress given the currently very primitive levels of our knowledge.

How do you think life got its start in the universe?

Defeated?

The container they used was from a previous life-form.

Scientists replicated the earths early atmosphere using chemicals and electricity and made amino acids which are the building blocks of life.

Anyway...the way I see it, God isn't necessary, because we definitely know life exists and it can be proven, unlike the said God.

Prove God made life.....can you do that?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2010/may/20/craig-venter-synthetic-life-form

http://www.livescience.com/3214-life-created-lab.html

Please google "discrimination against atheist in the usa".

There is lots there that may change your mind.

Minorities are discriminated in every part of the world.

Discrimination usually = Not being able to do things the way I believe they should be done

I think you have the wrong poster. Nowhere, either in this thread or any other have I supported the belief in ghosts.

Sorry, I thought the link was connected to the post above yours. Apologies.