Are Thai Ghosts/spirits Different ?

Neeranam

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the west most people know that there are no ghosts/spirits.

I've seen the white pale hand of my grandma rise from my bedside with the lights on in my room at age 7, so I certainly do believe in Ghosts because I've had many experiences. Spirits usually have a positive connotation moreso than ghosts, but virtually the same meaning...

Many in the west believe in ghosts, and believe that they can cause us harm (or in some cases help us), even physically.

There is certainly a huge language gap involved in this topic, since most westerners dismiss these concepts so quickly they haven't even invented words to allow for cross-language discussions - as in the world of alien fruits mangosteen, rambutan etc.

My understanding is that most of the huge menagerie of supernatural beings in Thai culture are seen as physical, which do have analogues in our own cultures - leprechauns as above, also the Abominable Snowman, Nessie etc.

Think X-Files more than the more spiritual Casper-style ghosts.

I try to take a scientific POV to all this, open-minded but requiring evidence. And realize that my own brain and sensory organs create illusory views of reality all the time.

However I also believe that the human mind has powers not yet detected/confirmed by mainstream science, and that much phenomena is actually manifested as a result of intensely-felt shared beliefs by groups of people.

So to the extent any of these phenomena are "actually real" whatever that means, I think the manifestations are different because the cultural beliefs are different rather than the other way around.

To just dismiss everything that hasn't yet been proven by mainstream science as impossible is very unscientific. In two hundred years science will look back upon our current state of knowledge with the same sense of superior disdain, as we now look upon using leeches in medicine. And of course close-minded people will believe then just as much as now that we currently know it all.

• Like 2

I'm not sure what the situation in Europe is but the majority of Americans still believe in god and an afterlife and the spirits that go along with that.

Edited by DP25

I'm not sure what the situation in Europe is but the majority of Americans still believe in god and an afterlife and the spirits that go along with that.

Well you beat me with that.....but at least they don't see them anymore (mostly).....But yes you are right and I am wrong....same same

I've seen the white pale hand of my grandma rise from my bedside with the lights on in my room at age 7, so I certainly do believe in Ghosts because I've had many experiences. Spirits usually have a positive connotation moreso than ghosts, but virtually the same meaning...

yes with 7. When I was a child I had also an active fantasy.

Anyone who claims to directly perceive true reality is kidding themselves.

Most of what we perceive as reality is largely a construction of our very selective and imperfect brains based on input from our very limited sensory organs as dictated by the needs of biological evolution - and even then interpreted by our very fragmentary understanding of the universe.

The story of the six blind men and the elephant, or Plato's allegory of the cave comes to mind.

Do you believe in a stable monetary system designed by wise men with the good of the common people in mind?

Just as much a fantasy as "Phee Bawp" - for a bit of fun shout out loud "I don't believe in Phee Bawp!" when you're out at night with a Thai and watch their reaction 8-)

• Like 1

In two hundred years science will look back upon our current state of knowledge with the same sense of superior disdain, as we now look upon using leeches in medicine.

Yet we are now using leeches in the 21st century. They are used to help heal skin grafts. They are also used for their blood anti-coagulant properties when re-attaching or, grafting on body parts.

PS. Belief in ghosts and spirits is for the weak-minded and superstitious.

Edited by KarenBravo

Yet we are now using leeches in the 21st century. They are used to help heal skin grafts. They are also used for their blood anti-coagulant properties when re-attaching or, grafting on body parts.

Well there you go, shows that my disbelief in leeches was just an ignorant superstition.

Well there you go, shows that my disbelief in leeches was just an ignorant superstition.

Not a single shred of evidence has been seen for the existence of ghosts. Might as well believe in real witches, hob-goblins and father Xmas.

Not a single shred of evidence has been seen for the existence of ghosts. Might as well believe in real witches, hob-goblins and father Xmas.

Well I'm certainly not arguing in favor of believing in any particular non-mainstream phenomenon.

My point is simply to advocate for the scientific spirit of keeping an open mind so that you can do your best to accurately interpret new incoming data and thus be in a better position to revise your previously mistaken beliefs.

Unless you don't mind being stuck behind the curve when the next big paradigm shift comes along.

BTW the use of the passive tense in "not a single shred of evidence has been seen" begs the question "by whom"?

Many many professional scientists believe in many many things they don't have hard proof for, why should the rest of us be any different?

• Like 1

Weak-minded? Don't make me laugh!

.......and the gullible.

So, to take one example of someone I admire - the Dalai Lama - is he weak-minded or gullible, according to your enlightened self?

• Like 1

Weak-minded? Don't make me laugh!

.......and the gullible.

So, to take one example of someone I admire - the Dalai Lama - is he weak-minded or gullible, according to your enlightened self?

Not gullible, but, totally programmed by his upbringing. Reincarnation is the same as ghosts. Imaginary.

Well I'm certainly not arguing in favor of believing in any particular non-mainstream phenomenon.

My point is simply to advocate for the scientific spirit of keeping an open mind so that you can do your best to accurately interpret new incoming data and thus be in a better position to revise your previously mistaken beliefs.

Unless you don't mind being stuck behind the curve when the next big paradigm shift comes along.

BTW the use of the passive tense in "not a single shred of evidence has been seen" begs the question "by whom"?

Many many professional scientists believe in many many things they don't have hard proof for, why should the rest of us be any different?

Well, in that case, let's keep an open mind on witches, hob-goblins and father Xmas, too. Might as well chuck in the Flying Spaghetti Monster whilst we're at it.