Monolithic Slab On Fill

HeijoshinCool

My site is near a river that overflows every few years. I'm bringing in a meter of heavy gravel (1-1/2" - 2") and sand. Any reason I can't pour a monolithic slab on this?

Block wall construction. Single story. Footers 24" by 8" deep with rebar, 4" slab with mesh. Using large gravel, is there any possibility of settlement? Piling the "fill" on undisturbed ground.

My site is near a river that overflows every few years. I'm bringing in a meter of heavy gravel (1-1/2" - 2") and sand. Any reason I can't pour a monolithic slab on this?

Block wall construction. Single story. Footers 24" by 8" deep with rebar, 4" slab with mesh. Using large gravel, is there any possibility of settlement? Piling the "fill" on undisturbed ground.

I dont really know what you mean by monolithic slab, we all come from different places and have different terms , I assume you mean a raft slab.

Difficult to answer your question, because I dont know the soil conditions in your area, I would take my cue from the locals,no reason to be reinventing the wheel.

When I first got here I was also exploring ways of doing it the way I did it back home,it is only natural it is what we know and what we are comfortable with, in the end I ended up doing it like the locals do, with some modifications to bring techniques up to my standards.I am sure different building techniques were tried, but the locals settled doing things the way they do because it is what works best here.

Given the fact that your property has the potential to flood, you would want to have your structure elevated,

IMO the best simplest and list expensive way to do this is bu the footing, columns and beams method

First you need to dig a hole 1m x 1 m by about 1m deep and construct a footing such as this

post-60134-0-04781400-1351993727_thumb.j

then when you have your footings in and footing columns at the desired height to prevent flooding

post-60134-0-01958600-1351993866_thumb.j

then you can construct your floor beams and either fill with dirt to pour the deck, or you can leave a cavity under the floor for access to your plumbing pipes

post-60134-0-71309800-1351994147_thumb.j

It is a simple, strong, and coast efective method of building here in LOS

Nope, monolith is all one pour, the footings and floor. Floor's 4" thick, footings are (with 12" thick walls) 24" wide by about 12" deep. The floor slab angles down into the footings. Back home I got them to with an 1/8" using a transit, over 50' of pour. Here, using a water level, I'll be happy at 3/8" over the 45' length of slab.

But, your building experience was interesting reading, nonetheless.biggrin.png

You know where I can find a bull float? Home Pro don't got 'em.

How are other buildings in your area built? The locals will likely want to drive friction piles to support your slab, nothing wrong there and they know how to do it.

There are always issues trying to introduce new techniques and remember, you have to get it past the building inspector chap to get your building permit.

For the bull float, make your own, the local chaps do :)

How are other buildings in your area built? The locals will likely want to drive friction piles to support your slab, nothing wrong there and they know how to do it.

There are always issues trying to introduce new techniques and remember, you have to get it past the building inspector chap to get your building permit.

For the bull float, make your own, the local chaps do smile.png

Yea, I'd figured I'd probably end up making my own float.

Everything here that is concrete is the standard put up the posts, fill in the walls with 7cm block, and pour a crappy, unlevel, sloping every direction slab with so much water the concrete might have 50% strength. Not interested, I'm afraid, so, yes, I'll be checking to see if I can "get away with" building something strong and attractive. I meet with them tomorrow.

I know what friction piles are, but I've never been on any site when they put 'em in, if indeed they did. I'll look into that, too, thanks.

Yes, there is a possibility of settlement, differential settlement, that breaks the back of your raft. Your riverside site implies alluvial geology, and the usual clay & silt muck they plant rice in and drive piles into 'round these parts! tho only the local builders will know for sure, as evidenced by their choice of foundation type. look for a proper crew & project close by, similar site conditions, and inspect their foundation system. It's best to go with the locals on this. The piles arent too expensive, depending on size.