Language-Savvy Thai Police To Meet Asean Economic Community Challenges

webfact

Language-savvy Thai police to meet AEC challenges

Mayuree Sukyingchayoengwong

The Nation

30193656-01_big.jpg

"Hello, how are you?" echoed around the special classroom where dozens of policemen and policewomen had assembled - as students.

BANGKOK: -- It was their second class in a language course designed to boost their ability to serve when Thailand is part of the coming Asean Economic Community (AEC).

"Very soon, police will have to serve many more foreigners," Metropolitan Police Division 4 commander Major General Naiyawat Padermchit said last week, "Our police need to be able to communicate with foreigners."

Once the AEC materialises in 2015, people of the Asean nations will be able to travel freely across the region and so will their products. Contacts and trade activities between people in Asean are expected to increase significantly.

As a result, Naiyawat has introduced the Smart Police Social Network project, which seeks to boost police language and social-networking abilities.

The two-month language course, courtesy of Assumption University's Abac Poll, kicked off last Tuesday.

"We focus on what is relevant to police work such as the vocabularies for crimes and traffic signs," Abac Poll assistant-director Puntharee Israngkul na Ayudthaya said.

Pol Senior Sgt Major Niyom Soonthrawong said police usually face language barriers when dealing with foreigners.

"I believe this course is going to remove that barrier," he said.

He works at Beung Kum police station, which is among the eight stations under the jurisdiction of Metropolitan Police Division 4.

Pol Corporal Ananya Saengphu said she seized the opportunity to take the language class because she wanted to communicate better with foreigners.

"It's so hard to give information to or to co-ordinate with foreigners," she said.

After two hours of learning, she said she had picked up many useful English words and phrases.

The Abac Poll has provided teachers, including native speakers, to ensure police students become familiar with foreigners' accents too.

As its name suggests, the Smart Police Social Network project seeks to encourage police to use social-networking more in their work.

"I have used LINE and encouraged my subordinates to do so too," Naiyawat said.

He said if all eight stations under his jurisdiction adopted the LINE (free communications app) in sharing crime information, it would be easier for police to track down culprits.

Naiyawat said if the Metropolitan Police Division 4 received any confirmed tip-off about an emergency, it would immediately dispatch its assault squads to the scene.

"We have four-member squads and 30-member squads," he said.

Naiyawat was convinced that social-networking would become a vibrant channel in communicat?ing with the public, given that an increasing number of people now carried smart phones and had become members of social networks.

Pol Senior Sgt Major Sombat Wamahaisri, who has been in charge of the Hua Mark police station's Facebook project, disclosed that its fanpage had more than one-million views and thousands of supporters.

It was an overwhelming response given that this Facebook page has existed for only a little over a year.

"We started it in May last year," he said.

Naiyawat said this Facebook page had efficiently facilitated communications between police and local people, and allowed the Hua Mark police station to get many useful tip-offs.

Sombat said the success of such a Facebook fanpage had been a major reason why the Smart Police Social Network project operates today.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-11-05

Another mistaken interpretation of the AEC changes.

1. Thailand is already part of the AEC

2. ASEAN citizens can all already travel as tourists without the need for visas

3. The agreement on movement on Goods is already 99% implemented.

This means that there will be no increase to the need for Thai police to speak English in 2015 that are attributable to the AEC.

The articles mistaken assumptions are making people believe something that is not being planned for by any of the ASEAN governments, and thus making people make bad or incorrect decisions for their futures.

What does Social Networking have to do with learning some basic English? The article mentions a free telephone app called LINE that simply allows the user to make a free phone call to another user with the app installed. Firstly, that is not social networking and secondly, what would LINE be used for in a discussion with a cop on the street?

Pol Senior Sgt Major Niyom Soonthrawong said police usually face language barriers when dealing with foreigners.

Yeah but a few 100 Baht normally overcomes the barrier!

Seriously at least they actually realize the need (albeit a little late) to have a knowledge of other languages, but I think foreigners will experience the same problem with the police as you get with Mc Donalds staff!

They only speak Mc Donalds any conversation that deviates from the menu is a waste of time!

I guess time will tell!

Whilst we all like a bit of fun and throw off at the B.i.B., give them a chance. Try learning Thai in a 2 months and see how hard the linguistic barrier becomes. Wait until the course is run and the streets respond rather than condemn at this point, We all know how hard it is. They have 8 weeks but it will require constant practice as it does with us speaking Thai. I would wish them all good for the effort they are making. It may also lead to a better understanding regarding how bad things are within their own system and that may be very good for Thailand overall.

Two months?

Even a top cop like Chalerm always needs three.

• Like 1

I like the police not speaking English. Approach checkpoint. Police sees Farang, police waves Farang through. Only time I have had to stop is when they speak English. Twice in 5 years.

I use a mixture of schoolboy French and German and smile a lot when stopped by the BIB. The only Thai phrase that I use is 'mai khow jai' in my version of a Geordie accent - that a real Geordie wouldn't recognise. biggrin.png

Could this be a new can of worms that The Bill is opening? Any chance of a Thai cop addressing me as 'Sir' and displaying a modicum of the respect due to all? Will The Bizzies set up their version of The Sweeney in hot pursuit of dips, blaggers. tea leaves, fleecers. grifters, petermen, or dare I mention the corrupt amongst their number? Can we expect a rise in the number of 'lifts. of 'chummies..

Before embarking on a laudable attempt to communicate with those of other nationalities, what are the chances I wonder, of the BIB actually being aware of the laws that they are supposed to be enforcing? A prime example would be the Police Colonel who was quoted as saying that as far as he knew there was no law against pilfering from the mail.

I note that this initiative is targetted at improving relations with foreigners. What about us aliens, or have we been upgraded?

• Like 1

...The two-month language course, courtesy of Assumption University's Abac Poll, kicked off last Tuesday....The Abac Poll has provided teachers, including native speakers, to ensure police students become familiar with foreigners' accents too....

Definitely good the police are getting some foreign language training; unfortunate that it appears the police are not puttting much, if any, funding towards the effort since the course is courtesy of Assumption University's Abac Poll.

Edited by Pib

I like the police not speaking English. Approach checkpoint. Police sees Farang, police waves Farang through. Only time I have had to stop is when they speak English. Twice in 5 years.

I don't carry an international, but an Australian drivers licence. But once stopped, I protested "but it is international, licence not come from Thailand so must be international then!!!"..... Waved through!! Copper was having a laugh too!!!

We can only hope they find a competent english teacher. I think they should hire a foreigner, to teach these cops. Most kids I speak to, who have been studying English, say they cannot understand their teacher, and their teachers do not have a clue about english. One of the biggest issues in Thailand seems to be a staggering level of incompetence on the part of the teachers, and a nearly dysfunctional educational system. So, is it reasonable to expect that the police will be taught by someone who has a strong grasp of English, and is able to pass that on to the cops trying to learn english? Hello, how are you mister?

• Like 1

Yeah but a few 100 Baht normally overcomes the barrier!

Seriously at least they actually realize the need (albeit a little late) to have a knowledge of other languages, but I think foreigners will experience the same problem with the police as you get with Mc Donalds staff!

They only speak Mc Donalds any conversation that deviates from the menu is a waste of time!

I guess time will tell!

On a date with a cute phuying that works at Mickey D's--"so your family lives in Cm"?...u want soda..?

"no-i mean, does u live here with ur family?"--u wan FF??..."huh?--wait.what?...umm...would u like to have dessert?"...corn pie!!!!!..oh--ok(ugh-corn again).."thank u-come again(wai)....Im Lovin It!!!--hold the pickles!

Whilst we all like a bit of fun and throw off at the B.i.B., give them a chance. Try learning Thai in a 2 months and see how hard the linguistic barrier becomes. Wait until the course is run and the streets respond rather than condemn at this point, We all know how hard it is. They have 8 weeks but it will require constant practice as it does with us speaking Thai. I would wish them all good for the effort they are making. It may also lead to a better understanding regarding how bad things are within their own system and that may be very good for Thailand overall.

Good to see somebody sees the positive side and is realistic. I agree try learning Thai in two months.

It is a start at least.

Hopefully they will get more funding and time and be able to really learn English.

• Like 1

We can only hope they find a competent english teacher. I think they should hire a foreigner, to teach these cops. Most kids I speak to, who have been studying English, say they cannot understand their teacher, and their teachers do not have a clue about english. One of the biggest issues in Thailand seems to be a staggering level of incompetence on the part of the teachers, and a nearly dysfunctional educational system. So, is it reasonable to expect that the police will be taught by someone who has a strong grasp of English, and is able to pass that on to the cops trying to learn english? Hello, how are you mister?

agree, but please not the so-called "native" english speakers anymore who mostly only brattle their hometown dialect, .....my contact at the bangkok bank H.O. ( ...and many others in the more than a decade here....), says she never understand these people but never has a problem with me, because i actually make an "effort" to pronounce properly.......

They've gotten their message across to we English speakers easily enough in the past, without even needing to speak it.

I'm sure the average non-English speaking Vietnamese village tourist (who, according to all accounts, will be 'flooding' into Thailand soon) will be well served and most impressed by Pol Sgt Somchai's English skills.

good post mate,im still learning Thai after many years of living here

Hello, how are you? 1000 Baht please! Thank You! Have a good day!

Ha Ha Ha..... kinda experienced something similar. Just had to learn to smile on it as most Thais do.... no logical thing about it...just so stupid.

But seriously, I have grown up to accept that you could learn anything... Though things like pride and arrogance are the main stumbling blocks to learning. The trend of cultures in this part of the world is using fear, which eventually leads to guilt... in the family, in the society and particularly with the judicial laws.... Teach a man his rights, teach children discipline without the use of fear or guilt and you would raise a society that interacts without shouting and guile... all the show that take place here in Thailand is due to Fear, all the so called commitment to elders are out of guilt... its a vicious cycle. Learning English might help our little MIB friends - but it will cause more confusion... Major on the schools and on humility!

Good for Police to start speaking some english. Let's see how it goes. I would also like to see some sort of training done in western countries about patrolling and traffic flow management cause I believe many cops harbour a very original concept leading to nothing or worst case scenarios

Bagwan or Oshi has the right tactic

I usually try a spot of Danish with a Belfaiste lilt as my wife cringes.

Always salute and say thanks when they look at my Thai driving licence ,often upside down

I find the country cops in Lanna polite,only times I have been 'fleeced " for parking etc is in BKK

Why would you want to talk to McDonald's staff about anything other than McDonalds food?

I commend the police for making the effort, only wish more foreigners here made the effort to speak any more Thai than "Hello, how are you?". Also hope the police don't get more fluent, best to maintain difficulty in communication when it comes to the police.