Oooops, Need Some Advice.

So this afternoon I'm on hwy 2 in Khon Kaen and see the Immigration office and think "Gee, I haven't been there in a whiiiii........OOOH dam_n! I forgot to extend my tourist visa. My 60 day visa was up Oct 27 and I usually get a 30 day extension. I'm returning to the states on the 14th and I plan on applying for a retirement visa in NY. What happens if I go to Immigration and apply for an extension now? Pay a fine and the usual B1900?

Get carted off to jail? What happens if I just go to the airport? I would rather not have any bad notations in my passport as it might have an effect on my getting a retirement visa. I've never been in this situation here before.

I would sure appreciate any knowledgeable advice on this problem and thanks in advance.

often they will extend your visa, after you pay the fine of 500 baht per day of overstay. At worst they will probably tell you to pay the fine and leave the coutnry, after which you simply come back.

Overstay is always stamped in your passport, but is not a problem for getting a new visa for Thailand or a new extension of stay from immirgation.

They may allow as many reports recently of people having overstayed but pay/extend being accepted.

You are aware you can extend for retirement in Thailand and do not require a retirement visa? Very simple and even the required non immigrant O visa can be obtained from Immigration with proof of meeting financials.

Both options are open for you. With going to the airport when you leave keep in mind that if you are stopped for any reason before hand and they see that you are on overstay you could be handed over to immigration and deported. Then you cannot return to thailand. Either way you will most likely get an overstay stamp in your passport, but are welcome to return anytime.

If unsure go to immigration dress well and tell them just as you did here oohh I think I made a mistake,

and since I plan on living here I want to be following the law etc. etc. It worked for me and I did not get an overstay stamp, pay the fine, plus the 1,900 and get a 7 day extension. Get it over tomorrow and then no worries.

Great info, thanks a million everyone. Looks like tomorrow I'll be visiting Khon Kaen again. Sounds like about 6k fine and 1900 more for extension. I seem to get a lot of expensive and unexpected dings here.

Lopburi, please tell me about the retirement extension available here. I thought I read all there was about visas but haven't come across that way of doing it. Actually a link would do.

Thanks again all.

Edited by riceyummm

You must meet financials and be over age 50. So 800k in Thai bank account/bank letter of account balance or Embassy letter of 65k per month pension or a combination to meet 800k per year. With such proof you can convert a visa exempt or tourist visa entry to a 90 day non immigrant O visa entry at cost of 2k at immigration office and 60 days later extend for retirement in normal manner using TM.7 for 1,900 baht. At that time financials have to be proven again and if using only bank deposit proof of money being in account for previous 2 months. You can also visit any Consulate in the area to obtain the visa (most will issue if over 50 and you say for retirement extension) and return on that and 60 days later do the actual extension. You need copies of passport/arrival card and some proof of where you live in addition to the forms and financial proof. Very easy to do.

If you are living in Khon Kaen it probably be easier to make a trip to Vientiane to get the single entry non immigrant 0 visa that you will need for the extension than making a long trip to an immigration office that can do the conversion.

If you are going to be in the states then you could get a single entry non-o at a honorary consulate. Portland has been mentioned as issuing them with same day turn around for mailed in applications.