Ticket Scam Accused Briton Skips Bail

george

Ticket scam accused skips bail

PHUKET: -- The Phuket Provincial Court has issued an arrest warrant for 24-year-old Briton Jonathan Duncan after he failed to appear in court on February 6 to face fraud charges.

Duncan was arrested on August 30 last year, following complaints by people who had bought cheap air tickets from him.

It is alleged that Duncan bought the air tickets by fraudulently using other people’s credit cards. When the card owners discovered the fraudulent charges, they ordered payments stopped, and the airlines therefore invalidated the tickets.

In one case a Phuket-based traveler was stranded in Canada when the return portion of his ticket was invalidated.

Duncan was released five days after his arrest on bail of 50,000 baht and the court set February 6 as the initial hearing date.

The court was told that a representa tive of Duncan’s bail provider had spoken to Duncan by phone on February 3 to remind him to keep his court date the following Monday.

However, on February 6, Duncan failed to answer his phone and did not appear in court.

Judge Yupawan Phurisinsit ordered the 50,000-baht bond forfeited and issued a warrant for Duncan’s arrest.

Another complaint, by Nok Air, filed in Bangkok with the Crime Suppression Division, alleges that Duncan defrauded the airline out of “about 1 or 2 million baht”.

--Phuket Gazette 2006-02-08

Original article:

Briton Charged With Cheap Air Ticket Scam

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=43554

And they let him out on 50,000 bail? Brilliant! Hope they let him keep his passport as well just to make things easier.

Thats not bad is it, I always said that you could make money in Thailand, and all it cost him was

725 pounds stirling

It's hardly likely that he will be extradited, and I am sure running away is much better than spending ten years in Thai jail! More fools them for granting him bail, he probably got away on a cheap flight. :o

Edited by marquess

...Another complaint, by Nok Air, filed in Bangkok with the Crime Suppression Division, alleges that Duncan defrauded the airline out of “about 1 or 2 million baht”.
They must have a really exact book-keeping. :o

LOL! But I wonder if this is why for months now Nok Air no longer allows buying tickets online using a non-thai credit card. You now get an error message and are told to call them up where you are required to pay an extra 20 baht because you called rather than used the internet :D.

good luck to him as it was not a crime of voilence.

It would be a crime of violence if he scammed me and I got hold of him. :o

===========================================================

What a stupid thing to say: "good luck to him as it was not a crime of voilence."

Like Skaunoro rightly remarks: Bet you would be in a murderous mood if this had happened to you ! ! !

It may be a "non-violent" crime, but it is one of the lowest things one human can do to another ! ! If he ever gets caught (and I pray he will) he will deserve a lengthy jail-term !! !!

:D

Um lets see, may be he will get a job at the other honest company Ample Rich this will serve as a good reference!!!

He is a criminal and all criminals are the same ... and the sympathy shown in some of the posting is plainly disgusting ... it really shows that some of you are just as bad as that english man... it shows the indifference of you lot when it does not affect you directly and sympathise with "common country men" even when evil

I am a happy farang with a lovely Thai wife living in this beautifu country and I wish those booze drinking, loud and impolite scam artists coming from all over the world (but a lot are anglosaxon though) would go somewhere else (like to your local pub and scam them poeple locally). your lot is not helping this image of cheap scams (alledgedly only committed by Thai people and not by respectful UK or other residents)

i hope i did not offend too many people at Thaivisa.com, but I needed to vent my frustration about these postings

Philip

good luck to him as it was not a crime of voilence.

Tell that to the bloke from Phuket who got stranded in Canada! That's violent enough, trust me, I'm in Canada.

More often than not, a crime of violence effects one or two people. This has harmed many and who ultimately pays the price is you and me when the airlines bump the prices of tickets up to cover the losses.

We don't have the whole story here, let's hope the Courts or the bails bondsman had the wisdom to have him surrender his passport and alerted the Brit authorities.

John D was at the same scam as recently as January of this year ... getting victims online. 2 people I know bought tickets from him and made it back to the US and back to Thailand. Then after the guy's credibility had been established people started telling about cancelled tickets etc that they had sent him money via ATM.

P.T. Barnum had it right

Edited by jdinasia

He is a criminal and all criminals are the same ... and the sympathy shown in some of the posting is plainly disgusting ... it really shows that some of you are just as bad as that english man... it shows the indifference of you lot when it does not affect you directly and sympathise with "common country men" even when evil

I am a happy farang with a lovely Thai wife living in this beautifu country and I wish those booze drinking, loud and impolite scam artists coming from all over the world (but a lot are anglosaxon though) would go somewhere else (like to your local pub and scam them poeple locally). your lot is not helping this image of cheap scams (alledgedly only committed by Thai people and not by respectful UK or other residents)

i hope i did not offend too many people at Thaivisa.com, but I needed to vent my frustration about these postings

Philip

Thanks a lot Philip, you're 100% right. Ans so I don't need to add anything in my poor english. :o:D:D

Um lets see, may be he will get a job at the other honest company Ample Rich this will serve as a good reference!!!

Philip

So... Who was supplying the credit card numbers. I'm sure he had a source for many different ones to use as he likely didn't put more than one charge on one credit card.

Where is his accomplice? Or was this even thought of during the interrogations.

I'm thinking it was the person who gave the 50,000 bail money.

...Another complaint, by Nok Air, filed in Bangkok with the Crime Suppression Division, alleges that Duncan defrauded the airline out of “about 1 or 2 million baht”.
They must have a really exact book-keeping. :o

LOOOL

I just don't get it that they allowed bail or didn't keep an eye on him, knowing the trial was only a few days later... Another case of TIT? I have always heard that when Bail is offered, its an easy way out, meaning the 50000 Baht buys you a "blind" window of a few days where you get a chance to get out of the country, or if you don't...end up in Thai jail.

He probably left the country already and flew off using one of their tickets. ...If he's still in the country, its just a matter of time before he gets caught (or has to bribe someone again)

This is hardly a victimless crime is it? Was he too lazy to work as a TEFL teacher if he was skint and wanted to stay in LOS. Just for future reference I would love to know whether he was given back his passport or whether he got one down Khaosan Rd. I guess he'll forfeit the 50K but can offset that against any overstay fine. :o

I don't think its a case of just desserts for those unfortunate enough to purchase the tickets. There are many online web sites that sell tickets at lower prices and are completely legitimate (LastMinute.com for example). They do this through bulk deals with the carriers, using up unpopular times and promotions etc. It is not easy to know who to trust when buying anything online - especially when bargain hunting.

Its a shame the conman didn't get prosecuted. I would imagine they held his passport, so he either used a fake one or took a moonlight trip and claimed it lost in another country. Hopefully the Thai authorities will black-mark his passport and request the British Embassy look into either holding any passport applications or posecuting him at home.

He may well be in hiding in the country somewhere, and may yet be turned in (or surrender).

If it ends with his deportation and black-listing (even if its under his own steam), then that's a small victory in itself - and may have saved LoS some cash to boot.

Philip

Obviously you don`t go to the UK for your holidays then?

few weeks ago a guy from gay.com was con by john , i have seeing him ( john ) advert a lot his business in the gay chat and few guys was done by him !

at first as mention he did feel his contract for good reputation !

the last two week he was in singapore !

my guess , he will not be back in thailand .