Broken Ipad

Cloggie

Have an iPad that doesn't work anymore so I went to the Apple shop to ask them to have a look at it.

They look at it, noticed that the corner near the on / off switch is 'damaged' - see picture - pick up the calculator and show me TB 10.500

I ask them "How do you know what is wrong with it WITHOUT even look inside the iPad"

We need to send to Bangkok, take about three weeks.....

It is maybe just something very small but as you can not look through the iPad, how do they know already what it will cost? Does Apple not repair for a normal price?

post-83687-0-81213300-1352602319_thumb.j

You could try and get it looked at in some of small repair shops, but maybe you are not in/near Bangkok?

It could be something fairly simple, although based on that dent it does look like it was a severe blow?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbo=d&q=ipad+repair+site%3Athaivisa.com&oq=ipad+repair+site%3Athaivisa.com&gs_l=serp.3...4423.7980.0.8317.17.17.0.0.0.0.160.2074.4j13.17.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.1.ldfZMGcAVDU

Edited by lomatopo

Support in Thailand is not nearly at the same level as in the USA. But, on the upside, there are tons of little shops that fix iphones and ipads for cheap.

Warranty is void if you dropped it, and well if there is a problem with turning it on and a big bump near the power switch...

Those little corner shops are quick too, a few hours turnaround time.

Getting it replaces for 10k baht makes no sense at all, obviously.

The problem I have with the Apple shop is that they don't repair it. The fact that it is damaged does NOT mean that THAT is the reason why it doesn't work anymore.

If Toyota uses the same 'logic' it means that if my car doesn't start (because of a flat battery) - they will say "car is damaged at the back - total loss - buy new one"

The fact that the car is damaged has nothing to do with the fact that it doesn't start anymore.

Again you first need to look at the iPad and after that you can give me a quotation how much it will cost - for me a normal procedure, not for them.

Maybe I should convert it into a dart board as sugested by "Mogandave" or use it in the kitchen - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcIwXVKQjsQ

Another option is

• 3 weeks later...

Had similar experiences. Apple IPAD after sale service in Thailand is a nightmare, and an expensive rip-off at THB 10k+ for a new one

Shops in MBK in Bangkok will at least try to attempt a repair.

Just taken mine into the Authorized Apple Service Provider in Vietnam. USD 120 (THB 3,750) for a new one, as it's under warranty. Excellent experience. Different world!

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/588998-does-apple-warranty-count-for-anything-in-thailand/page__st__25#entry5904715

:)

Had similar experiences. Apple IPAD after sale service in Thailand is a nightmare, and an expensive rip-off at THB 10k+ for a new one

Just taken mine into the Authorized Apple Service Provider in Vietnam. USD 120 (THB 3,750) for a new one, as it's under warranty. Excellent experience. Different world!

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/588998-does-apple-warranty-count-for-anything-in-thailand/page__st__25#entry5904715

:)

Iwhatevers are geared so that the products become obsolescent or unusable no matter what. A massive scam supported by mass marketing and credulity of masses.

And it is not only in Thailand that after-sales service sucks.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

Tan Telecom in MBK will receive items by EMS post, estimate the repair and fix it when you transfer them the money - then return it by EMS to you (again at your cost obviously, but it's not expensive to EMS something the size of an ipad).

I would recommend getting a thai speaker to describe the problem to them as none of them are good english speakers.

I cannot recommend this shop highly enough - they have repaired ipads, iphones and most recently a Galaxy S3 for me every time quickly, properly and they are helpful, professional and if there's any complaint i am sure they will do everything they can to help.

www.tantelecom.co.cc

MBK 4th FLoor Zone 4AC-101

Edited by GooEng

• 2 weeks later...

GooEng - thanks for the info - will write it down just in case I need it again.

Last update about my iPad:

The battery was completely empty and as it starts different than my Samsung (keep the button pushed) i thought it was broken.

Anyway had to laugh about it, same as the staff in the Apple shop sick.gif

GooEng - thanks for the info - will write it down just in case I need it again.

Last update about my iPad:

The battery was completely empty and as it starts different than my Samsung (keep the button pushed) i thought it was broken.

Anyway had to laugh about it, same as the staff in the Apple shop sick.gif

Haha,now that's funny.

http://www.thaivisa....25#entry5904715

smile.png

Iwhatevers are geared so that the products become obsolescent or unusable no matter what. A massive scam supported by mass marketing and credulity of masses.

And it is not only in Thailand that after-sales service sucks.

Must be awful to live on planet paranoia. But we can all choose what we believe :D

As for Thailand after sales service I have to agree though: It's a wasteland, courtesy of iStudio/iBeat which seem to make up the majority of authorized Apple dealers. They're fine for in-warranty repairs, but anything else - forget it.

That probably won't change until Apple opens its own retail stores here. As soon as that happens, after sales service will be excellent. Until then... oh well. I've heard rumors they're about to open a few in Thailand, and I sure hope it happens soon. Not sure what they're waiting for - after all it's pretty much guaranteed they'd be making money.

• 8 months later...