Chao Fa Observations

Valentine

Saw the aftermath of a horrific accident near Wat Chalong. Pickup crashed into a shop, totally wiped out, with badly damaged Pegas mini bus nearby. Unfortunately it looked like two deaths, one of them a young schoolboy. It was on a straight stretch of road so maybe too much speed.

Damned, these reports always make me sad.

Looks like the school'bus' was traveling South, when the minivan swerved into it's path after it hit the back of another car. These 2 vehicles were traveling North.

Saw the aftermath of a horrific accident near Wat Chalong. Pickup crashed into a shop, totally wiped out, with badly damaged Pegas mini bus nearby. Unfortunately it looked like two deaths, one of them a young schoolboy. It was on a straight stretch of road so maybe too much speed.

Being reported --->

I notice a big increase in the number of large coaches. Many drivers do not realise they should use a lower gear before the approach a steep hill. Can't count how many stall their engine on the Patak Rd hills. Then it's all panic as the handbreak won't hold the bus. Interesting to watch but quite dangerous for traffic behind.

Yes, noticed the same, mainly Russian and Chinese tours. You don't want to know the speeds at which they use Viset Road as their private road to gain some lost time, on their way to the speedboats at Rawai Beach. That is nearly exclusively for Chinese tourists.

So you blame the passengers not the Tour bus Driver ?

Yes, noticed the same, mainly Russian and Chinese tours. You don't want to know the speeds at which they use Viset Road as their private road to gain some lost time, on their way to the speedboats at Rawai Beach. That is nearly exclusively for Chinese tourists.

So you blame the passengers not the Tour bus Driver ?

Sorry, dumb conclusion.

I am mainly blaming the tour operators. Those are the guys organising the tours here on the ground, they are the ones squeezing out the lowest prices and making the schedules that can not be met, and sell them to the agents back home.

I'm firstly blaming the van drivers. Total and utter disregard for others with arrogant, selfish and dam_n dangerous driving. Then secondly the tour operators that employ these untrained, unsuitable individuals to transport tourists.

After sitting in the traffic at this accident and passing it by, the remainder of my commute saw several commuter vans driving in the usual dangerous manner. 120KPH in the bike lane, full of sunburnt faces.

Something must be done to stop this from happening so frequently.

I'm firstly blaming the van drivers. Total and utter disregard for others with arrogant, selfish and dam_n dangerous driving. Then secondly the tour operators that employ these untrained, unsuitable individuals to transport tourists.

After sitting in the traffic at this accident and passing it by, the remainder of my commute saw several commuter vans driving in the usual dangerous manner. 120KPH in the bike lane, full of sunburnt faces.

Yes, most of the time I agree with you, and the minivan drivers are a disaster (want to say 'waiting to happen, but it is happening too often). I was specifically referring to the big buses, mainly used for package tours for Chinese and Russian tourists. These are also a disaster waiting to happen, but the rout of the cause are not the drivers IMO (not they are free of blame), but the tour operators that knowingly ask them to do the impossible.

I was really sickened by the scene this morning & yes nothing will change the driving habits of these lunatics that continue to ply our roads in ever increasing numbers. Whichever driver is at fault needs to be charged followed by a harsh jail sentence. Perhaps this, heavy fines for dangerous drivers or their own death may put an end to it but unfortunately, like drug runners, there are always new ones coming along. Some proper social programmes in the schools might help.

Another thing this accident highlights is just how quickly traffic jams cam form which happens even with minor accidents. Although there are several ways you can turn off from Chao Fa West, to avoid jams, there are just not enough secondary roads at regular intervals which are well needed just to cope with the increasing traffic.

I was really sickened by the scene this morning & yes nothing will change the driving habits of these lunatics that continue to ply our roads in ever increasing numbers. Whichever driver is at fault needs to be charged followed by a harsh jail sentence. Perhaps this, heavy fines for dangerous drivers or their own death may put an end to it but unfortunately, like drug runners, there are always new ones coming along. Some proper social programmes in the schools might help.

Another thing this accident highlights is just how quickly traffic jams cam form which happens even with minor accidents. Although there are several ways you can turn off from Chao Fa West, to avoid jams, there are just not enough secondary roads at regular intervals which are well needed just to cope with the increasing traffic.

The 'size' of the accident doesn't matter, as long the rule said: 'Do not move the vehicles, before the police has done their job'

And as newer the car in the accident, as more value for the opponent is in this rule.

I mean, waiting for the police, in case one of the vehicles has a good insurance,.....!

• 2 months later...

Yesterday opposite the LPG station on Chao Fa West a mini bus had plowed into a stack of bricks from the other side of the road. Don't know he managed it but lucky he did not take someone out coming the other way. On Chao Fa East on a T junction they have installed those upright lane markers so you can continue straight ahead even when the light is red, same as at Wichit/Saiyuan. Except the sign said something like, can't remember the exact wording, can go straight through left ventricle. Cracked me up.

Today the normal total chaos travelling south on West at 6pm with large buses, mini buses & assorted others all trying to push in from the left shoulder which of course has a backward concertina effect slowing down the whole line. However, honking the horn or trying to stop them from pushing in can be hazardous to your health as there are more & more short fuses out there.