Am I A Cheap Charlie If I Don't Tip?

meatballs

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If someone who doesn't tip in Thailand is a Cheap Charlie, then almost all Thais are Cheap Charlies. wink.png

Still, I would hand over a red banknote, thereby giving a small tip. Plus a green or blue one for excellent service. wai.gif

I usually tip 20 baht for most things, but if service or quality of food not there, then I don't tip !

regards songhklasid.biggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png

I tip for good service, but if the staff in restaurants is rude or likes to talk about 'falang, falang...', I make it a point not to tip. In a taxi I usually round up.

Farangs come from a different kind of society where all problems need to be rectified. Thais simply don't complain and don't come back in the case of a crap restaurant.

Also, some places have trouble to hire good, reliable staff. I stayed in an apartment building, where the female receptionist not only was abusive, but also stole from the till! blink.png Still, the owner had trouble to hire new staff, and the thiefing receptionist was the only one at that hotel/apartmentt building that could speak English, despite of half of the guests/tenants being foreigners. It took them more than two years to lay her off! rolleyes.gif No wonder businesses in Thailand ignore customer complaints, if hiring new staff is that difficult.

Edited by 007

• 3 weeks later...

This tip begging has gotten out of control,

yesterday in my search for Tren 75 i was going to various pharmacies,

and who and behold, they got a tip box in pharmacy too !!

no tren tho

Edited by poanoi

I usually tip 20 baht for most things, but if service or quality of food not there, then I don't tip !

regards songhklasid.biggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png

I tip for good service, but if the staff in restaurants is rude or likes to talk about 'falang, falang...', I make it a point not to tip. In a taxi I usually round up.

Why would you not tip someone just because they use the word 'farang'? Aren't you one?

This tip begging has gotten out of control,

yesterday in my search for Tren 75 i was going to various pharmacies,

and who and behold, they got a tip box in pharmacy too !!

no tren tho

I'm not sure having a "tip box" constitutes tip begging. But you are free to perceive things as you see fit.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Pattaya was by far the worst for this 'entitled' attitude.

Had a waitress demand a 200 baht tip there. Oh and the masseuse that wiped her finger across my top teeth and chatted constant shit about her brit ex boyfriend and gave the worst massage demanded a tip.

No demands were met.

Oh yes and the massage in cm that involved a certain young lady trying to start a friction fire on my back whilst telling me how her mum is in for surgery blah blah blah....

At the end no tip for basically using me as a counselling service/human flint. Yes skinflint!

Had a waitress demand a 200 baht tip there. Oh and the masseuse that wiped her finger across my top teeth and chatted constant shit about her brit ex boyfriend and gave the worst massage demanded a tip.

No demands were met.

in more than 20 years holidaying and now living since 9 years permanently in Thailand nobody has ever "demanded" or even asked for a tip from me.

• Like 2

No demands were met.

in more than 20 years holidaying and now living since 9 years permanently in Thailand nobody has ever "demanded" or even asked for a tip from me.

Yes I and my friend accompanying me who has lived here a lot longer were both very shocked with it.

20 baht is a good tip

I've learnt that....from my gf. However on occasion I have seen her tip more....if everything is exceptional.

No hard and fast rules even for Thais!

It depends where you are tipping. A 20 baht tip is as good as nothing in many places. If you're going to be pegged as a cheap charlie for a 20 baht tip you're better off giving nothing.

No demands were met.

Tip demanding is quite common, but not in the places you frequent. Gogo bars?

This is easy. I have always had money and while I know how to finesse a service transaction, I believe that using money to gain respect is just plain stupid. For example, I have carte blanche in more than one restaurant in my home city; North America's fourth largest metropolis. In this case I believe that a serious sum of cash for the wait staff is in order It's different here. First of all . . . . there's no carte blanche. I speak pretty good Thai. I know what is expected of Thais in my position I am comfortable enough with all this to know how to handle tipping in Thailand. Here in Thailand, I suggest that tipping is wise and even useful if one plans to return to a particular service environment. I want to be quite clear that I refer to *any* service environment. Here in Thailand where the practice of tipping is relatively new and excuses for not tipping seem to play out according to one's country of origin, I have developed the following a dynamic tipping routine and by that I mean that it varies according to how I feel rather than what is expected of me. If the service has been good and the service people rendering it have been polite and attentive (but not grotesquely obsequious) I tip. If there's attitude, vulgarity or what they think might be a subtle, clever show of causing their customer to lose face I do not tip. (For example if a coyote dancer thinks she's being clever and funny by using the expression "dehk-ling" in the belief that I will understand "darling" I smile, reciprocate in kind and do not spring for a second drink.) I don't as a rule tip business owners. Like I said, in some cases it's really easy. If there's already been a service charge and VAT etc I leave a few coins on the plate and I may tip an amount in the hand if there's been some genuine charm in the mix in addition to good service. If there's a demand for a tip I smile and advise them not to eat yellow snow. "Mai kin hi-ma si lieung" (be sure to pronounce "snow" properly, with short vowels and a rising tone to avoid embarrassing yourself)

Very well put.

This is easy.

I have always had money and while I know how to finesse a service transaction, I believe that using money to gain respect is just plain stupid. For example, I have carte blanche in more than one restaurant in my home city; North America's fourth largest metropolis. In this case I believe that a serious sum of cash for the wait staff is in order

It's different here. First of all . . . . there's no carte blanche.

I speak pretty good Thai. I know what is expected of Thais in my position

I am comfortable enough with all this to know how to handle tipping in Thailand.

Here in Thailand, I suggest that tipping is wise and even useful if one plans to return to a particular service environment. I want to be quite clear that I refer to *any* service environment. Here in Thailand where the practice of tipping is relatively new and excuses for not tipping seem to play out according to one's country of origin, I have developed the following a dynamic tipping routine and by that I mean that it varies according to how I feel rather than what is expected of me.

If the service has been good and the service people rendering it have been polite and attentive (but not grotesquely obsequious)

I tip. If there's attitude, vulgarity or what they think might be a subtle, clever show of causing their customer to lose face

I do not tip. (For example if a coyote dancer thinks she's being clever and funny by using the expression "dehk-ling" in the belief that I will understand "darling" I smile, reciprocate in kind and do not spring for a second drink.)

I don't as a rule tip business owners.

Like I said, in some cases it's really easy.

If there's already been a service charge and VAT etc I leave a few coins on the plate and I may tip an amount in the hand if there's been some genuine charm in the mix in addition to good service.

If there's a demand for a tip I smile and advise them not to eat yellow snow.

"Mai kin hi-ma si lieung" (be sure to pronounce "snow" properly, with short vowels and a rising tone to avoid embarrassing yourself)

In another time, in another place you would be known as PIMP.

I tip my hat to you sir, well played.

This is easy. I have always had money and while I know how to finesse a service transaction, I believe that using money to gain respect is just plain stupid. For example, I have carte blanche in more than one restaurant in my home city; North America's fourth largest metropolis. In this case I believe that a serious sum of cash for the wait staff is in order It's different here. First of all . . . . there's no carte blanche. I speak pretty good Thai. I know what is expected of Thais in my position I am comfortable enough with all this to know how to handle tipping in Thailand. Here in Thailand, I suggest that tipping is wise and even useful if one plans to return to a particular service environment. I want to be quite clear that I refer to *any* service environment. Here in Thailand where the practice of tipping is relatively new and excuses for not tipping seem to play out according to one's country of origin, I have developed the following a dynamic tipping routine and by that I mean that it varies according to how I feel rather than what is expected of me. If the service has been good and the service people rendering it have been polite and attentive (but not grotesquely obsequious) I tip. If there's attitude, vulgarity or what they think might be a subtle, clever show of causing their customer to lose face I do not tip. (For example if a coyote dancer thinks she's being clever and funny by using the expression "dehk-ling" in the belief that I will understand "darling" I smile, reciprocate in kind and do not spring for a second drink.) I don't as a rule tip business owners. Like I said, in some cases it's really easy. If there's already been a service charge and VAT etc I leave a few coins on the plate and I may tip an amount in the hand if there's been some genuine charm in the mix in addition to good service. If there's a demand for a tip I smile and advise them not to eat yellow snow. "Mai kin hi-ma si lieung" (be sure to pronounce "snow" properly, with short vowels and a rising tone to avoid embarrassing yourself)

Welcome to the real world of tipping. As an American you had a lot to learn. Your so called "tipping" in the US (North America) is a percentage surcharge, so let's not confuse the two.

Edited by tropo

"excuses for not tipping seem to play out according to one's country of origin" The American way is to tip for exceptional service. Not just in America. We have come a long way in just over two hundred years. If it works, don't change it.

No demands were met.

i don't frequent go-go bars, hardly eat in restaurants but i use services which i consider extremely important and where i hand out "princely" tips when i get "princely" services, among others an immediate and efficient follow-up on "vital" repairs in my home when i call for that service and last not least foot massage, pedicure, haircuts and my twice weekly shave.

on the other hand i fully understand that somebody who is living on a tight budget and has difficulties to make ends meet can't be throwing around tips as if money has no value.

but if the latter is not the case and i hear "why should i tip because <insert ridiculous reason>" then i'm disgusted.

• Like 2

"excuses for not tipping seem to play out according to one's country of origin" The American way is to tip for exceptional service. Not just in America. We have come a long way in just over two hundred years. If it works, don't change it.

The alacrity with which you expect to parlay a discussion on tipping into a declaration of Amarikan exceptionalism and supremacy betrays that special whiff of desperation that accompanies most of what wafts out from under that bridge these days.

No demands were met.

i don't frequent go-go bars, hardly eat in restaurants but i use services which i consider extremely important and where i hand out "princely" tips when i get "princely" services, among others an immediate and efficient follow-up on "vital" repairs in my home when i call for that service and last not least foot massage, pedicure, haircuts and my twice weekly shave.

on the other hand i fully understand that somebody who is living on a tight budget and has difficulties to make ends meet can't be throwing around tips as if money has no value.

but if the latter is not the case and i hear "why should i tip because <insert ridiculous reason>" then i'm disgusted.

Well, I do frequent these places as well as most of the other personal service establishments on offer here in Thailand.

I tip as I see fit. It has little to do with what is being served.

Good service = good tip.

EDIT:

I recall having a dinner with a business friend of mine in Pattaya, more than 30 years ago in a fancy restaurant.

There was a bunch of Arabian looking guys with expensive designer clothes dressed Ladies of the Night. Thai ladies.

One of the chaps was clearly the man in charge, watching the way he behaved very dominant, not only to the girls but also his assistants.

When they were finished eating (including lots of alcohol...Allah is not watching now, far away) he commanded something in Arab to one of the guys who took a small briefcase, opened it and took quite a bit of money out and threw it on the table and said to the very polite and kind waitress: "keep the change" which amount was HUGE in comparison the the bill, so it seemed.

She left and 2 minutes later the owner of the restaurant came back and gave all the extra tip-money back because they felt highly insulted about the way they tipped but also the way they HANDLED the money, throwing the money on the table with the face of HM The King on the notes....

They felt he seriously insulted HM The King and staff the way they expressed the difference in haves and haves-not.

That made all people, watching the scene in horror about so little respect for money, applaud the way the owner handled the situation!

We applauded as well.

BRAVO clap2.gif

That's a cute story, but I doubt many restaurant owners would be rushing to give back a substantial tip these days. Times they are a Changing.

I agree; GREED has taken over and "we" as farang are at least for a part guilty to that greed since "we" spoilt them ourselves.

Thai didn't change the system, farang tourists did.

Greed was well entrenched in Thailand long before Thialand became a popular mass tourism destination.

In fact I find Thais in general more money hungry than most other nationalities I have encountered. They seem to be prepared to do more for money than many other peoples with even lower standards of living.

They have an obsession with showing off and trying to outdo each other .

I have a diary of my first trip back in 79 and one of my observations was the obsession with money that Thais had.

Right on the money!