Am I A Cheap Charlie If I Don't Tip?

meatballs

I prefer helping the orphans, handicapped, those suffering from natural disasters etc than helping those who have arms/legs and can make a living by themselves.

Should Bill Gates tip us for sympathy ?! The financial gap between him and us is much bigger than the gap between us and the service workers here .....

Edited by susanschwaiger

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I prefer helping the orphans, handicapped, those suffering from natural disasters etc than helping those who have arms/legs and can make a living by themselves.

Should Bill Gates tip us for sympathy ?! The financial gap between him and us is much bigger than the gap between us and the service workers here .....

Since this thread started as tipping at a massage, you realise that many of the massage people are in fact handicapped.( blind)

Since this thread started as tipping at a massage, you realise that many of the massage people are in fact handicapped.( blind)

And they dare to want a few extra coins for a job well done?

The blind "massagers" are often not as good as touted. My wife stopped going to a well known blind massage center because the massages weren't good and she didn't like the way they usually talked to their colleagues right through the massage.

Isn't Khon Kaen in Issarn?

Geography was never my strong point, however from the way I hear people in Bangkok talk, its in Laos isnt it?

LOL.. you must be joking.. It's in Thailand mate. The north eastern part (Issarn). Issarn literally translates to North-East. Hence, people that come from the North East of Thailand are called Issarn.

Geography was never my strong point, however from the way I hear people in Bangkok talk, its in Laos isnt it?

LOL.. you must be joking.. It's in Thailand mate. The north eastern part (Issarn). Issarn literally translates to North-East. Hence, people that come from the North East of Thailand are called Issarn.

At least you saw the funny side, yes I know exactly where it is and what Issan means.

As you also know, the snobs in Bkk refer to people from Issan as either being from Laos or Cambodia, usually preceeded by a pronoun I cant write on here.

Heck even my friends from Surin refer to them as baan nok.

At least you saw the funny side, yes I know exactly where it is and what Issan means.

As you also know, the snobs in Bkk refer to people from Issan as either being from Laos or Cambodia, usually preceeded by a pronoun I cant write on here.

I know nothing about snobs in BKK and have no wish to.

• Like 1

My girlfriend is from Laos (Pakse) - what would they refer to her as??

S̄āw lāw สาวลาว

Edited by Jayman

Who?

My friends from Surin or the Bkk snobs?

You have been here long enough to already know the answer, so sorry wont indulge you.

It's a rotten system and often, the wrong people get tipped and the hard working staff (kitchen) don't get anything.

Not true. Most places pool the tips and all the staff share it.

It does not matter what Thai people did 30 years ago. Things change. They tip now and so should kee nok foreigners.

I live and work in Thailand but nobody tips me, tell me why I should return the favour ?

It's a rotten system and often, the wrong people get tipped and the hard working staff (kitchen) don't get anything.

It does not matter what Thai people did 30 years ago. Things change. They tip now and so should kee nok foreigners.

I live and work in Thailand but nobody tips me, tell me why I should return the favour ?

What type of work do you do? Are you in the service industry?

What type of work do you do? Are you in the service industry?

Does it matter ?

Does it matter ?

200b a day waiting on tables deserves a tip where as 200b a day working in a factory does not, the way some peoples brains work makes me shake my head.

So you're earning 200 Baht a day by working in a factory ?

Does it matter ?

Tips are usually given to reward service, so yes it does (as you know very well).

Even in so called non tipping countries like Australia tipping taxi drivers, waiters etc is quite common.

Do the taxi drivers, waiters etc in Australia call you a Cheap Charlie to your face if you dont tip them?

Does it matter ?

Tips are usually given to reward service, so yes it does (as you know very well).

Even in so called non tipping countries like Australia tipping taxi drivers, waiters etc is quite common.

Do the taxi drivers, waiters etc in Australia call you a Cheap Charlie to your face if you dont tip them?

Yes, I'm afraid so , I've seen some getting quite agressive as well.

Edited by jbrain

Does it matter ?

200b a day waiting on tables deserves a tip where as 200b a day working in a factory does not, the way some peoples brains work makes me shake my head.

So you're earning 200 Baht a day by working in a factory ?

What I earn is irrelevant, the question is why are those who work in the service industry worthy of a tip when those who dont are not.

Edited by Spoonman

• 2 weeks later...

Tropo, how do you get the message across, if the waitress brings you some crap to eat, even if she is smiling? Would you suggest, going to the kitchen and confronting the cook? That would really go down big in Thailand, and most other places too. Sure, the waitress is just one part of the equation, but thats where you tip or dont tip. What if the food was great, but the waitress was lousy, would you go back to the kitchen and give him a tip, and not give the waitress?