Obama To Begin Visit With Tour Of Wat Pho: Bangkok

webfact

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A planned speech in English - which was to have been broadcast live - by Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra at an event at Government House during Obama's visit on Sunday has been cancelled. Officials feared that a recurrence of her verbal mishaps and mispronunciations, if witnessed globally in real time, could be exploited by her critics and political opponents, as has happened in the past, a Government House source said yesterday.

Now that is really funny.

what's really funny is that it looks like that is not mentioned by any news source except this one. and this one forgot to mention any other details like it is part of a trip to the ASEAN summit. don't laugh too hard, it just shows you that they have their heads up their backsides

• Like 1

According to a reliable source (read tuk tuk driver) Wat Pho is unfortunately closed that day due to religious festival. Instead, BO can visit a tailor shop or buy gem stones to sell for profit back home. sad.png

You mean those stones that really look like coloured glass right???

• Like 1

The article concludes by saying "Obama will meet Thailand-based American expatriates in the evening at Chulalongkorn University Sport Complex."

Is it safe to assume this will be an invitation-only event for a few wealthy and/or influential US expats, and not open to the general American expat community? Or can we just show up to show our support for and appreciation of our newly re-elected president?

The article concludes by saying "Obama will meet Thailand-based American expatriates in the evening at Chulalongkorn University Sport Complex."

Is it safe to assume this will be an invitation-only event for a few wealthy and/or influential US expats, and not open to the general American expat community? Or can we just show up to show our support for and appreciation of our newly re-elected president?

I am 200% sure it's invitation only.

• Like 1

What's to stop people from hanging around the facility and waving some flags though?

What's to stop people from hanging around the facility and waving some flags though?

Probably nothing at all.

Thailand, please keep him there, the US economy can not survive 4 more years with him.

Fun to watch the trolls following Pres.Obama around the world from mommy and daddy's basement.

Edited by kennedy
  • Like 1

It is by invitation only. For the record, there are two functions. The first, being hosted by the American Embassy is the one at Chula. It is arranged by the Head of Mission at the US Embassy and It is not for wealthy and/or influential US expats. In fact, for the most part, they are not invited at all.It is an internal meeting for embassy personnel. For example, not invited was the American Chamber board of directors,nor senior Peace Corps staff, nor those who worked hard with the Democratic Party in Thailand to get absentee ballots sent. This is completely unlike when President Clinton came to Thailand, which was wide open to the business community (both my wife and I attended).

The second function is being hosted by PM Yingluck. As part of this event, she allotted a certain amount of tickets to the Thai Foreign Ministry. Of course this was primarily for the diplomatic community, but the Thai Foreign Ministry looked ahead and allotted some of their tickets to the American Chamber board of directors.

Now, and I am getting this third hand, but my source is someone I believe, a member of the US Embassy did call a senior member of AMCHAM and offer a ticket to the first event (at Chula) only to be told not to worry, as he got a ticket already from the Thai government.

At the end of the day, this has nothing to do with Pres. Obama, as these functions are arranged by local head of missions (i.e. ambassadors).

• Like 1

It is by invitation only. For the record, there are two functions. The first, being hosted by the American Embassy is the one at Chula. It is arranged by the Head of Mission at the US Embassy and It is not for wealthy and/or influential US expats. In fact, for the most part, they are not invited at all.It is an internal meeting for embassy personnel. For example, not invited was the American Chamber board of directors,nor senior Peace Corps staff, nor those who worked hard with the Democratic Party in Thailand to get absentee ballots sent. This is completely unlike when President Clinton came to Thailand, which was wide open to the business community (both my wife and I attended).

The second function is being hosted by PM Yingluck. As part of this event, she allotted a certain amount of tickets to the Thai Foreign Ministry. Of course this was primarily for the diplomatic community, but the Thai Foreign Ministry looked ahead and allotted some of their tickets to the American Chamber board of directors.

Now, and I am getting this third hand, but my source is someone I believe, a member of the US Embassy did call a senior member of AMCHAM and offer a ticket to the first event (at Chula) only to be told not to worry, as he got a ticket already from the Thai government.

At the end of the day, this has nothing to do with Pres. Obama, as these functions are arranged by local head of missions (i.e. ambassadors).

Thanks, Old Man River! Yours was pretty much the only responsive and helpful post on this thread. Others just saw it as yet another forum for posting their partisan political drivel.

The right wing will now be accuseing him of being a buddhist instead of a muslim.

they don't care (or know) which religion it is. It's enough if he bows to anyone

As well, considering that Buddhism is not even a religion, he should be alright! Shouldn't care what the fundamentalist middle red think anyway, bunch of loons!

A planned speech in English - which was to have been broadcast live - by Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra at an event at Government House during Obama's visit on Sunday has been cancelled. Officials feared that a recurrence of her verbal mishaps and mispronunciations, if witnessed globally in real time, could be exploited by her critics and political opponents, as has happened in the past, a Government House source said yesterday.

I just don't understand why an interpreter cannot be used without shame? Many other countries used an interpreter, why is Thailand so obsessed with preserving an image of being a great English speaking-country when it is clearly not where it wants to be? Even some PM's who speak considerably better than her use interpreters...

• Like 1

The US Embassy will make available interpreters and translators, with 100 sets of headphones for impromptu translation readied, while the Thai Foreign Ministry has prepared its own interpreters and translators. "The Americans will deploy their own interpreters and translators for the event. Maybe they are afraid we will give the wrong translation?" pondered the source.

pathetic reporting, unnecessarily provocative. It is not suspicious to bring your own translators and interpreters. As if Thais goto America and allow the Americans to provide them with translators, because they trust America so much.

• Like 1

I just don't understand why an interpreter cannot be used without shame? Many other countries used an interpreter, why is Thailand so obsessed with preserving an image of being a great English speaking-country when it is clearly not where it wants to be? Even some PM's who speak considerably better than her use interpreters...

It would be better for Thailand's economic future if Thailand actually was a country with good English skills. Thailand is competing with neighbors who do have those skills. So Yingluck with her poor English skills is quite representative of Thailand, but that is in no way an advantage. In her case specifically the fact that she has an advanced degree from an American university and has trouble stringing together coherent sentences is and should be an embarrassment. Her better option is to use the interpreter but it would be even better if she could function well in English without one.

For sure, this whole idea that she had to cancel the speech, rather than deliver it in Thai with interpreters is beyond silly. As mentioned, even the most fluent use interpreters for official functions such as this. If the fear is that she would lose face by doing this, and would prefer to deliver it in English or not at all is really dumb. However, I guess we can all understand the loss of face for a graduate from a U.S. University not being fluent in English. rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

What a sad experience it is to see so many Americans displaying such an abysmal lack of sophistication. A democratic state will always feature rivalry between the competing parties, but the anti-Obama set have no counterparts in any democracy of which I have reasonable knowledge.

I can almost hear them wiping the froth from their lips as they pound out another attack.

• Like 1

For sure, this whole idea that she had to cancel the speech, rather than deliver it in Thai with interpreters is beyond silly. As mentioned, even the most fluent use interpreters for official functions such as this. If the fear is that she would lose face by doing this, and would prefer to deliver it in English or not at all is really dumb. However, I guess we can all understand the loss of face for a graduate from a U.S. University not being fluent in English. rolleyes.gif

has anyone seen that news reported by any other source other than this one? they could be playing loose with the facts to make yingluck look bad (aka lying about it)

What a sad experience it is to see so many Americans displaying such an abysmal lack of sophistication. A democratic state will always feature rivalry between the competing parties, but the anti-Obama set have no counterparts in any democracy of which I have reasonable knowledge.

I can almost hear them wiping the froth from their lips as they pound out another attack.

Speaking as an American, I have to insist that you...are quite right. (But the anti-Bush set were no better -- and that's coming from a guy who voted against him twice and fervently believed from the time that he announced his candidacy that he was a disaster for the US -- never been more right)

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

has anyone seen that news reported by any other source other than this one? they could be playing loose with the facts to make yingluck look bad (aka lying about it)

I wondered the same thing...

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap