Obama's Help Sought To Secure Release Of Two Thai Activists From Cambodian Jails

webfact

Well so far Obama has spent no time on it and if he does spend time on it he will probably just laugh. This is Barack Obama the president of the United States. Not J W Bush the world conscience and righter of all wrongs except for what he did to his own country.

The reason the loyal red shirts are in prison with out being paroled is because they deserve it for being stupid enough to follow a leader who did not care one baht for them. Ask Mr paymaster Thaksin why he is not bailing out his loyal followers.

And likewise, i expect him to give 2 seconds to helping the yellows in Cambodia.

All the time, we are told, domestic issue, falang stay out of it. But, now, pleeease.....

Usually that "falang stay out of it" comes from the government in charge, eg. "we don't need tsunami assistance".... "the UN is not my father", etc.

There would be no need for anyone to take the matter any further than the government in charge if the Prime Minister would follow through with her own self-declared "duty".

''I'd only be glad if they were freed. It's my duty to see to it that they will be released"

If you think obama is going to assist getting yellows out of jail while the reds are in, you're nuts.

In fact, it would appear that since he is visiting, he expects the reds to stay for a while.

I don't know if he will or not as it wouldn't be the first unpredicted action he takes, but I can certainly appreciate the exposure it gives to the situation whether he assists or not. It's also good as well as exposing yet another failure of Yingluck to do her duty (in this case, one she voiced and imposed on herself).

At the end of the day, there's no real harm in just asking for his assistance. I'm sure he gets a myriad of requests from all sorts of organizations/politicians/NGO's in every country he visits.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is so much time spent on these two idiots when hundreds of loyal red shirt canon fodder are languishing in prison for doing Big Ts bidding

Well so far Obama has spent no time on it and if he does spend time on it he will probably just laugh. This is Barack Obama the president of the United States. Not J W Bush the world conscience and righter of all wrongs except for what he did to his own country.

The reason the loyal red shirts are in prison with out being paroled is because they deserve it for being stupid enough to follow a leader who did not care one baht for them. Ask Mr paymaster Thaksin why he is not bailing out his loyal followers.

And likewise, i expect him to give 2 seconds to helping the yellows in Cambodia.

All the time, we are told, domestic issue, falang stay out of it. But, now, pleeease.....

Usually that "falang stay out of it" comes from the government in charge, eg. "we don't need tsunami assistance".... "the UN is not my father", etc.

There would be no need for anyone to take the matter any further than the government in charge if the Prime Minister would follow through with her own self-declared "duty".

''I'd only be glad if they were freed. It's my duty to see to it that they will be released"

Maybe Obama can do what Thakin couldn´t.?

^

Maybe Obama can do what Thaksin couldn't.?

He's already doing that by just coming to Thailand.

• Like 1

If you think obama is going to assist getting yellows out of jail while the reds are in, you're nuts.

In fact, it would appear that since he is visiting, he expects the reds to stay for a while.

The expectations of US presidents re future events have quite often proved wrong. But as we are talking about your thoughts about the expectations of a US president.............

Yingluk makes a habit about being selective of her duties that she carries out. That she finds this duty unworthy of her attention is neither surprising or unusual.

The expectations of US presidents re future events have quite often proved wrong. But as we are talking about your thoughts about the expectations of a US president.............

Yingluk makes a habit about being selective of her duties that she carries out. That she finds this duty unworthy of her attention is neither surprising or unusual.

The mere fact that this part of theworld is first port of call, shows where the focus it's right now.

The mere fact that this part of theworld is first port of call, shows where the focus it's right now.

Which does absolutely SFA to support your earlier statement.

Good point. I had not thought of it in that respect. The first port of call being Burma is rather interesting. I wonder (well I know) if he knows some thing we don't know.

Perhaps already stated, but how about the poor American in prison for Lesse majesty? Now before you say, 'can't do the time, don't do the crime,' note the 'offense was committed in America where one has freedom of speech.

Perhaps already stated, but how about the poor American in prison for Lesse majesty? Now before you say, 'can't do the time, don't do the crime,' note the 'offense was committed in America where one has freedom of speech.

I thought he was released?

I don't know if he will or not as it wouldn't be the first unpredicted action he takes, but I can certainly appreciate the exposure it gives to the situation whether he assists or not. It's also good as well as exposing yet another failure of Yingluck to do her duty (in this case, one she voiced and imposed on herself).

At the end of the day, there's no real harm in just asking for his assistance. I'm sure he gets a myriad of requests from all sorts of organizations/politicians/NGO's in every country he visits.

I doubt whether POTUS would want to become involved in a matter which is entirely the concern of Thailand.Troubled though Thailand appears to be to some of us, lets recognise that compared to most countries it is an oasis of decency (whether under Abhisit or PTP).

Anyway it's always good for a laugh to see how some contrive to bring irrelevant abuse of Yingluck into the most unlikely of threads.

• Like 1

Which does absolutely SFA to support your earlier statement.

Him or the USA focussing on south east Asia, has nothing to do with digging two plonkers out of Cambodian jail.

It is a completely Thai issue. if Abisit was in, he wouldn't get involved either. In fact the siren call would be, we don't need American assistance.

Yingluck won an election, thaksin got his visa, the dems aren't going to win anything anytime soon. So, diplomatically, deal with ptp. Unless there's a coup, ptp will be around for quite some time.

Edited by Thai at Heart
  • Like 1

I doubt whether POTUS would want to become involved in a matter which is entirely the concern of Thailand.Troubled though Thailand appears to be to some of us, lets recognise that compared to most countries it is an oasis of decency (whether under Abhisit or PTP).

Anyway it's always good for a laugh to see how some contrive to bring irrelevant abuse of Yingluck into the most unlikely of threads.

As a reminder for those that don't read thread before posting and prefer to initiate inflammatory misrepresentation, a reminder of just how Yingluck entered the thread (at the beginning of it) and how if she had done her self-stated duty, there wouldn't be this thread in the first place.

But as long as he considers his uncalled for baiting as being "good for a laugh", I suppose it accounts for its repetitive nature.

It will be interesting to see if/how the president handles this request. It is really an interference between two nations and unless the present gov't asks for assistance, it would create a big problem.

When Yingluck was in Cambodia and there was speculation that she would assist in getting them out of prison, she had this to say, over a year ago..., on the situation...

That was over a year ago... she didn't get them out then or made any effort to do so since.

The current request to Obama is actually nothing more than a reminder to Yingluck of what she stated earlier was her duty.

From her Nephew's News Service,

http://news.voicetv....lish/18298.html

Edited by Buchholz

I thought he was released?

Lerpong Wichaikhammat was granted a Royal Pardon by His Majesty the King last July and released from prison.

[

You keep up with posts like.

"Thailand appears to be to some of us, lets recognise that compared to most countries it is an oasis of decency"

and you will bring the wrath of 75% of the posters here down on your head.

[

"Thailand appears to be to some of us, lets recognise that compared to most countries it is an oasis of decency"

To be honest I'm more concerned with truth, intelligence,wit and good judgement than the good esteem of a bunch of not very well educated oldsters.

Thai at Heart

You posted

"Him or the USA focussing on south east Asia, has nothing to do with digging two plonkers out of Cambodian jail.

It is a completely Thai issue. if Abisit was in, he wouldn't get involved either. In fact the siren call would be, we don't need American assistance.

Yingluck won an election, thaksin got his visa, the dems aren't going to win anything anytime soon. So, diplomatically, deal with ptp. Unless there's a coup, ptp will be around for quite some time."

Well An educated Thai public would change that but with PT in power there is you say only one alternative.

So what is it to be a stupid electorate or a coup. My money says a stupid electorate. coffee1.gif

[

To be honest I'm more concerned with truth, intelligence,wit and good judgement than the good esteem of a bunch of not very well educated oldsters.

Well I like your answer but to be honest I have seen you duck so many questions over the years that I find it hard to believe. But you have this one right on about comparing Thailand to other countries.

As a reminder for those that don't read thread before posting and prefer to initiate inflammatory misrepresentation, a reminder of just how Yingluck entered the thread (at the beginning of it) and how if she had done her self-stated duty, there wouldn't be this thread in the first place.

What is he on about? Ludicrous, obsessed and irrelevant.Does anybody understand what he means?

The letter asks Obama to call for the release on humanitarian grounds of Veera Somkwamkid and Ratree Pipattanapaibul, who were jailed in Cambodia after entering the country's territory during a protest over a border dispute.

No, they weren't. They were convicted of the ridiculous charge of espionage for spying on barren scrub land that the Cambodians laughingly called a military installation, even though there's no military there and nothing secretive on it.

Perhaps if they had not illegally entered Cambodia, the situation would have been easier to resolve?

High rank criminals can have a dinner with Hun Sen.

The letter asks Obama to call for the release on humanitarian grounds of Veera Somkwamkid and Ratree Pipattanapaibul, who were jailed in Cambodia after entering the country's territory during a protest over a border dispute.

No, they weren't. They were convicted of the ridiculous charge of espionage for spying on barren scrub land that the Cambodians laughingly called a military installation, even though there's no military there and nothing secretive on it.

Perhaps if they had not illegally entered Cambodia, the situation would have been easier to resolve?

High rank criminals can have a dinner with Hun Sen.

Boooooooooooooooooooooring!

What is he on about?

< flaming snipped >

Does anybody understand what he means?

I think most understand that your attempt to put forth that Yingluck is somehow not pertinent to the discussion (your quote below) fails when it was already shown that her dutiful intervention might have easily pre-empted the current request for intervention to Obama.

If pointing out what she said herself and the situation in which she said it is somehow abuse, I think most would differ with that opine.

Edited by Buchholz

What is he on about?

< flaming snipped >

Does anybody understand what he means?

I think most understand that your attempt to put forth that Yingluck is somehow not pertinent to the discussion (your quote below) fails when it was already shown that her dutiful intervention might have easily pre-empted the current request for intervention to Obama.

If pointing out what she said herself and the situation in which she said it is somehow abuse, I think most would differ with that opine.

Seriously &lt;deleted&gt; are you babbling about ?

Perhaps it might help your understanding if you explain what this "babble" is about in the first place:

I interpreted it to mean what I posted,

your attempt to put forth that Yingluck is somehow not pertinent to the discussion

and further, added,

If that's not an accurate interpretation of what you posted, then please explain your intent with that post.

Perhaps it might help your understanding if you explain what this "babble" is about in the first place:

your attempt to put forth that Yingluck is somehow not pertinent to the discussion

and further, added,

If that's not an accurate interpretation of what you posted, then please explain your intent with that post.

I don't wish to be unkind but in all seriousness nobody has the faintest idea what you're talking about.Go to bed and see whether you can be more articulate tomorrow.

and further, added,

I don't wish to be unkind but in all seriousness nobody has the faintest idea what you're talking about.Go to bed and see whether you can be more articulate tomorrow.

You don't want to explain your post so we can get to the bottom of your misunderstanding of my post. Perhaps your unusual presence at this time of night and fatigue stops you from doing so.

Fair enough.

But as far as your completely unsupported projection, "nobody understands", you might wait and let others speak for themselves. Until then, the only one that doesn't understand is yourself. wink.png

Edited by Buchholz

and further, added,

Being deliberately obtuse is a rather poor form of evasion.

Edited by OzMick

You don't want to explain your post so we can get to the bottom of your misunderstanding of my post. Perhaps your unusual presence at this time of night and fatigue stops you from doing so.

Fair enough.

But as far as your completely unsupported projection, "nobody understands", you might wait and let others speak for themselves. Until then, the only one that doesn't understand is yourself. wink.png

Wow monitoring the times of my attendance on the forum.Creepy.

Fair enough.

Wow monitoring the times of my attendance on the forum.Creepy.

Don't flatter yourself.

Your uniquely abrasive style stands out quite noticeably.

It's hardly "monitoring". :rolleyes:

It's just that I'm often posting late and have never noticed you posting at this time of night.... until now.

No big deal, but I just thought it might explain why your abrasiveness is even more so than normal now.

Thai at Heart

You posted

"Him or the USA focussing on south east Asia, has nothing to do with digging two plonkers out of Cambodian jail.

Yingluck won an election, thaksin got his visa, the dems aren't going to win anything anytime soon. So, diplomatically, deal with ptp. Unless there's a coup, ptp will be around for quite some time."

Well An educated Thai public would change that but with PT in power there is you say only one alternative.

So what is it to be a stupid electorate or a coup. My money says a stupid electorate. coffee1.gif

Calling the electorate stupid hardly changes the situation at all. To be honest, i have never met a stupid farmer in my life in Thailand.

What they know very clearly is that they have been poor their entire life and dozens of successive governments didn't even attempt to change that situation.

So who would you vote for, if you were in their shoes?

You think just because people have a business and put on a yellow shirt they are genuinely intelligent. Freedom of thought isn't a trait found in all levels of Thai society.

Edited by Thai at Heart