Chalerm: National Security Act Ruled Out For Saturday’S Pitak Siam Rally

webfact

National Security Act ruled out for Saturday’s political rally

By English News

cha.jpeg

BANGKOK, Nov 20 – Thai Deputy Premier Chalerm Yubumrung has categorically ruled out using the country’s stringent National Security Act to cope with Saturday’s political rally by the anti-government Pitak Siam group.

Chairing a meeting at the National Security Council Monday to plan the authorities response to the planned demonstration at the Royal Plaza led by retired Gen Boonlert Kaewprasit, Mr Chalerm told the media that the government has never thought to use the National Security Act for crowd control. Neither has National Police Chief Adul Saengsingkaew suggested using it.

Mr Chalerm said he did not foresee the political temperature to rise to the level of having to implement the law, and the pro-government United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD, the Red Shirts) have announced they will not gather near the Royal Plaza.

Gen Boonlert, Pitak Siam’s leader, has asked for police protection for the demonstrators, the deputy premier said. Mr Chalerm assigned National Police deputy chief Vorapong Chiewpreecha to meet Gen Boonlert today to discuss the authorities’ peace-keeping measures.

Mr Chalerm said the 50,000-strong police are assigned to keep order at the site in accord with the protestors’ statement that a political breaking point should not be ruled out on Saturday.

“If they come with a million and we have only 1,000 police, we won’t be able to control the situation,” he said. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-11-20

Funny that - I have seen more than one newspaper article stating that National Police Chief Adul Saengsingkaew HAD asked for the ISA to be invoked.

It's always so difficult to know with Chalerm - he says so many things that turn out to be false. Could be old age, could be an adverse reaction to his ear medicine.

• Like 1

Funny that - I have seen more than one newspaper article stating that National Police Chief Adul Saengsingkaew HAD asked for the ISA to be invoked.

It's always so difficult to know with Chalerm - he says so many things that turn out to be false. Could be old age, could be an adverse reaction to his ear medicine.

He has overdosed.cheesy.gif

Around 9:30 AM getting up BTS Victory Monument I noticed a caravan of pickups with 'nice' (and loud of course) music. My Thai is still miserable, but I could figure out 24th of November. Only the Thai flag visible. They were probably informing people of the happening coming Saturday.

National Security Act ruled out for Saturdays political rally

BANGKOK, Nov 20 Thai Deputy Premier Chalerm Yubumrung has categorically ruled out using the countrys stringent National Security Act to cope with Saturdays political rally by the anti-government Pitak Siam group.

categorically ruled out....

:cheesy:

Just 48 hours ago....

Have another drink, chalerm...

Sent from my iPad

Edited by Buchholz
  • Like 1

BANGKOK, Nov 20 Thai Deputy Premier Chalerm Yubumrung has categorically ruled out using the countrys stringent National Security Act to cope with Saturdays political rally by the anti-government Pitak Siam group.

Just 48 hours ago....

Sent from my iPad

A rather public slap in the chops isn't it.

cheesy.gif

Just 48 hours ago....

cheesy.gif

cheesy.gif

Sent from my iPad

A rather public slap in the chops isn't it.

Chalerm's grizzled face is used to it.