Bankrupt Brit Leaps To His Death In Bangkok

webfact

Mr. Tik said that Mr. John did not have a job, and had been transferring money to his account every month from an inheritance left by his parents. Mr. John came to Thailand in July, and was renting the Bangkok condo for 33,000 THB a month.

That's more money for a place to live that I'm making every month. Wouldn't somebody look for a cheaper solution, before "jumping"?

165,000 baht in five months for a condo's insane. I'm wondering what Mr. Tik would say. RIP! Smells fishy.--wai2.gif

You guys need to get out more. 33k baht a month is not a huge amount of money for rent. Heck i was paying 130k a month in Singapore for my apartment which was only 48sqm. Lets get this in perspective please. This guy was no high roller.

Anyway sad way to end at all. RIP

• Like 2

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like Mr. Tik is high maintenance.

but aren't most Thai's high maintenance who live in the city they want all the latest brand name clothes plus taken out with there friends to nice restaurants plus clubs and bars and on top of this send money home and still want more on top of this like iphone and ipad ,,

Not true at all. Do you actually know any Thais?

• Like 1

I believe that inheritance tax starts at about 300k pounds sterling 15 million baht or more..and its usually paid on the estate duty before passed on..However if the pillar of the community Mr Tik(alias)said its the case that he hs friend had these problems who am I to doubt it..seems a lot of money to go through in a few months..No?

The inheritance could have been shared between many people. Maybe he thought he was getting 60K, but ended up with 40K, or something similar. Anyway, I still don't understand why he was living in an expensive condo even if he thought he had the whole amount. Seems like he couldn't face going back to the UK and preferred to kill himself. It's sad, but what can you do with people that don't appear to make any effort to make ends meet. I have enough money to last me many years, but even I don't waste in on expensive condos.

Another thing - that condo is not what I'd consider luxury. More like 3* at most.

Indeed, why did he rent expensive condo if he had problems with money. One can rent a nice apartment for 4000 baht/month, with aircon and nice bathroom.

yes,a plenty around for 4-10,000b even and having 26,000b ish more in your pocket goes a long way in most countries let alone thailand . sad story though. RIP

I believe that inheritance tax starts at about 300k pounds sterling 15 million baht or more..and its usually paid on the estate duty before passed on..However if the pillar of the community Mr Tik(alias)said its the case that he hs friend had these problems who am I to doubt it..seems a lot of money to go through in a few months..No?

The inheritance could have been shared between many people. Maybe he thought he was getting 60K, but ended up with 40K, or something similar. Anyway, I still don't understand why he was living in an expensive condo even if he thought he had the whole amount. Seems like he couldn't face going back to the UK and preferred to kill himself. It's sad, but what can you do with people that don't appear to make any effort to make ends meet. I have enough money to last me many years, but even I don't waste in on expensive condos.

Another thing - that condo is not what I'd consider luxury. More like 3* at most.

Boy that went over someone's head. Very good point about inheritance tax issue.

Its not a suicide I can smell it

I was thinking the same

However, problems with inheritance taxes had apparently left him broke.

Mr tik say this ! After 5 months , an inheritance tax isn't that much ....

So ething really is not right here

the only thing which i find little strange with this story is that he was living of the inheritance but came to Thailand in July, which is just 4 months ago. Surely the inheritance was little more than a few thousand pounds and if it was not, what stopped him from going back home.

something just does not add up here, sad story anyway:(

I actually agree with you, I'd love to speak to a relative to confirm the background story of the only witness, also as I understand it there is a threshold before tax kicks in on inheritance money and it isn't a few thousand pounds, also there doesn't need to be a struggle to push someone of a balcony, the police need to look at bank accounts here and see just what this mans finacial position was or perhaps there was a large sum of cash in the room - I'm not usually a conspiritor in these situations but I'd feel more convinced if a few simple checks were made

RIP

• Like 1

33000 baht per month luxury condo ? At 56 years of age people still don't know how to live within thier means. blink.png

Sadly an all to common story here. Foriegners coming to Thailand and unable to keep thier lives in order then end up in the newspapers or TV threads.shock1.gif

One is assuming he jumped, and assuming the reports of him running out of money are correct.

From the story we only have Mr. Tiks word about the 'running out of money'

(Do we know if Mr. Tik was a ladyboy?)

Here come the conspiracy theorists. And what does ladyboys have to do with it ?

33000 baht per month luxury condo ? At 56 years of age people still don't know how to live within thier means. blink.png

Sadly an all to common story here. Foriegners coming to Thailand and unable to keep thier lives in order then end up in the newspapers or TV threads.shock1.gif

One is assuming he jumped, and assuming the reports of him running out of money are correct.

From the story we only have Mr. Tiks word about the 'running out of money'

(Do we know if Mr. Tik was a ladyboy?)

Here come the conspiracy theorists. And what does ladyboys have to do with it ?

eh coma, lady boys have little to do with doubting this facts of this story - the published facts did that for us, as seen on an earlier post the threshold for inheritance tax in the UK is in the area of 300k or half a million dollors and it's taxed on each individual as an income not the estate, so we could assume from that that this guy go considerably more than 300k pounds. It is very doubtful he was having any sort of money problems

My guess here is that there was an amount of cash in the room or TIK has access to an account, either way I think the police should be looking into this more closely for a motive, you'd be amazed just how naive some people are when they come to Thailand and equally how ruthless Thais can be at parting you from your money even through murder - something smells real bad with this story - if you can't see it then just say so, don't be going all personal on those that do

eh coma, lady boys have little to do with doubting this facts of this story - the published facts did that for us, as seen on an earlier post the threshold for inheritance tax in the UK is in the area of 300k or half a million dollors and it's taxed on each individual as an income not the estate, so we could assume from that that this guy go considerably more than 300k pounds. It is very doubtful he was having any sort of money problems

My guess here is that there was an amount of cash in the room or TIK has access to an account, either way I think the police should be looking into this more closely for a motive, you'd be amazed just how naive some people are when they come to Thailand and equally how ruthless Thais can be at parting you from your money even through murder - something smells real bad with this story - if you can't see it then just say so, don't be going all personal on those that do

Your use of the words ' assume' and 'guess' make your statement baseless. If know for fact that I know enough about Thailand to know that it is all to common for foriegners to kill themselves due to financial difficulty and that, although not as common, there are well documented and numbered cases where they are murdered by evil Thais for their money. Facts these are. Facts!!! I will comment on the OP in it's current form until there is factual evidence to the contrary. Got it ? wink.png

facts are established by a proper investigation, investigations are started when certain already known facts witness accounts create suspicions - don't add up, plus the possible inclusion of a third party with a motive,

Facts that we know so far (assuming the news report is accurate)

This man was paying 33k baht a month or an appartment

His age

He recieved an inheritance (that may have been taxable i.e. more than 300k) needs clarified/investigated

There was a 3rd party in the room

A man fell from an 8th floor blacony

The 3rd party made a statement claiming certain facts that may not add up (needs clarified/investigated)

This process is called an investigation - investigations are initiated to support or discount witness statements and and establish a certain level of confidence of events

Got nothing thumbsup.gif

Oh and my opinion which I'm allowed to have says a proper investigation needs to take place here I guess

Edited by Rooo

Sounds like Mr. Tik is high maintenance.

but aren't most Thai's high maintenance who live in the city they want all the latest brand name clothes plus taken out with there friends to nice restaurants plus clubs and bars and on top of this send money home and still want more on top of this like iphone and ipad ,,

Not true at all. Do you actually know any Thais?

Do you ?.....although he is generalising he is not far off the mark..wink.png

• Like 1

Indeed, why did he rent expensive condo if he had problems with money. One can rent a nice apartment for 4000 baht/month, with aircon and nice bathroom.

where pray tell in Bangkok do you get a "nice" condo with air and br for 4000/ month ??

You dont....they are not condo's...they are a "room" with a fan and a squat toilet..biggrin.png

As regards THB 33k a month being for a luxury condo or even being a lot of money....no its not.....when we start talking about THB 100-150k/m now we are getting into luxury condo's...wink.png

• Like 1

Two points:

Based on the story, the unfortunate Briton was not bankrupt, just broke.

If Mr. Tik is a ladyboy, you can bet your bottom baht the esteemed journalist organ that is the Pattaya Daily News would have said so!

Yes it can be assumed that there was probably a gay relationship between the deceased and Mr. Tik. It would be uncommon (but certainly possible) for a new "retiree" in Thailand to live with a Thai roommate just to share rental expenses.

It is interesting that PDN is protecting the privacy of Mr. Tik. That's the most suspicious thing in this story in my view.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

My take is yes it is worthy of a police investigation (follow the money or in this case reported lack of money) but certainly not obviously foul play. In any case, the story by Mr. Tik even if sincere, is no doubt not the entire story of the motivation for the suicide, if that's what it was.

Two points:

Based on the story, the unfortunate Briton was not bankrupt, just broke.

If Mr. Tik is a ladyboy, you can bet your bottom baht the esteemed journalist organ that is the Pattaya Daily News would have said so!

Yes it can be assumed that there was probably a gay relationship between the deceased and Mr. Tik. It would be uncommon (but certainly possible) for a new "retiree" in Thailand to live with a Thai roommate just to share rental expenses.

It is interesting that PDN is protecting the privacy of Mr. Tik. That's the most suspicious thing in this story in my view.

yes there seems that mr tik's story is a bit suspicious,doenst say where mr.tik was when the police arrived,but he knew a lot about his finances,the problem with tax inheritence how many thai's would know about that,also knew about phone calls to relatives,plus he could tell that his voice was more stressed than usual.there is a lot more to come if the truth is known.

everyone is assuming this man was bankrupt or broke, yes it's in the Title of the OP and the assumptions of finacial difficulty come solely from Mr Tik, I'd rather wait until a relative or an investigation supports the witness statement, having inheritence tax problems in the UK does not tell me he was bankrupt or broke - would Thai police even understand that ?

• Like 1

Seems a bit dubious to get into financial trouble within five months of arrival, after having just rented a high-cost condo. One would think that most people could plan at least a few months in advance, and so you'd expect it to take a bit longer to get into that kind of trouble.

Inheritance taxes? I'm not sure how they work in England, but in the U.S. they are either withheld up front or due at the end of the year.

I'm sorry for family and friends; It sounds a bit strange...

A Bit ????

Edited by Rooo