Thai Airport Taxis Strike Again!

foundy

Thai Airport Taxis Strike Again!

My best friend came from the UK last night and had a very bad experience with some taxi drivers.

He arrived at Sawanapoom airport to be met by some taxi drivers touting for business and he agreed to go with one of them, as it appeared to be a normal green/yellow meter taxi but there was one other man in the taxi and they told him he had to pay over 1,800 THB for the journey, which he wasn't sure, if it was the going rate or not, because in the past, I have always picked him up from the airport, so he had no experience of dealing with the airport taxis.

The journey is around 40klm and usually costs about 300 THB including the toll charges. During his journey in the green/yellow taxi, the driver suddenly pulled into a car garage and said his car had a problem and the driver then called over one man, whom had been sat at a table playing cards with other drivers and my friend was told he had to change cars, in order to continue his journey, but the car he was asked to change to, was not a normal taxi, as it was an unmarked saloon car. So he made the change, as requested, thinking it was all a bit strange but didn't seem to have much choice in the matter. When he eventually arrived out our home, I saw my friend making the payment, to which I was shocked to hear that he had paid 1,850 THB, for a relatively short trip. I questioned the driver, in Thai, as to why he was charging my friend such an excessive amount, to which he became quite hostile and said that they had already agreed the fee for the journey, at the airport and that was that was as much as he was going to say on the matter and he would not answer any more questions. He then drove off with my friends jacket on the back seat and the he never came back with it. Fortunately, the jacket had no valuables in the pockets.

This is a very bad experience for anyone starting a holiday in this country and it's becoming more frequent, so let's try and erradicate this criminal activity as-soon-as possible.

Unfortunately, I am sure we will hear of more stories like this, of how these con-men are destroying the reputation of Thailand, in the eyes of foreigners.

Please share this posting to as many people as you can and hopefully we can prevent this type of con from happening again.

Thanks from Dave

• Like 1

Simple solution. Go to the taxi stands. They have to use meter and you get identifying information if you need to report them later. Tell your friend to choose the taxi, not let the taxi choose him.

Many of the taxis at the taxi stand at the airport have turbo meters. After getting turbo meters several times at the airport, I now only get taxis at the departure level that I see actually dropping someone off. There are now many taxis waiting at the departure level, but you should avoid these and only take a taxi that you see dropping off a passenger.

• Like 2

Simple solution. Go to the taxi stands. They have to use meter and you get identifying information if you need to report them later. Tell your friend to choose the taxi, not let the taxi choose him.

Many of the taxis at the taxi stand at the airport have turbo meters. After getting turbo meters several times at the airport, I now only get taxis at the departure level that I see actually dropping someone off. There are now many taxis waiting at the departure level, but you should avoid these and only take a taxi that you see dropping off a passenger.

Last time I came into swampy it was very busy at the taxi stand so I headed up to departures to get a taxi there. I was greeted outside by many taxi drivers and foolishly took one of them. As we set off I asked him to put the meter on but he said no if he did I would have to pay extra 50 baht for airport tax. I said meter please and he said no meter 400 baht for journey (normaly 130 + 50) I then said stop and opened the door but he said ok ok meter. When we left the airport he stopped to talk to another taxi that was parked on the side of the motorway I thought here we go change taxi another fare another scam but he got back in and drove off. Then he started asking me the way to my destination, I think if I had been new here we would have been taking the senic and more expensive route. I knew a toll booth was coming up and I had some coins on me and when I gave him the 30 baht for the toll he looked surprised and said " Oh you been here before"

So lesson learnt get a taxi from the rank or as said use a taxi that is just dropping someone off. The drivers that approach you outside departures are as bad as the ones that hassle you inside arrivals.

• Like 1

In my experience you just need to be on the ball. Using the taxi stand is game one. Insisting on the meter is game two. The turbo meter is clearly game three but I have never experienced this one.

I guess that is a whole different argument on arrival. Tricky one I suppose...for me would depend just how much "turbo" the meter was.....

In my experience you just need to be on the ball. Using the taxi stand is game one. Insisting on the meter is game two. The turbo meter is clearly game three but I have never experienced this one.

I guess that is a whole different argument on arrival. Tricky one I suppose...for me would depend just how much "turbo" the meter was.....

I have experienced the turbo meter.

Got in a taxi at Suk 11, went round the back, down Suk 3, turned right at Suk to Witayu, left and got off in front of Lumpini police station. Having done this trip on two previous occasions, I knew the fare to be about 55B (in heavy traffic).

This particular Taxi had passed 55B by the time we entered Suk 3, and had reached 170+B by the time we reached the police station. I handed the driver 60B, and left the taxi. He started to shout and I informed him that if he wanted to debate the correct fare, he was welcome to come and do so inside the police station.

He left it at that.

Turbo meters the baht amount ticks over like a stopwatch.

Happened to me once , got a taxi at the taxi stand metered , but when we started to go i told him were i lived and to turn on the meter, he didn't so i spoke to him in Thai explaining i live there, he insisted on 1500 baht for a 400 baht trip. I was firm told him to turn around and take me back to the airport ,,so he finally turned on the meter. And he never talked to me for remainder of the trip to my place

OP: When you know that your friend is coming, why don't you either

a ) inform him how to "correctly" get a taxi in the arrival hall at the main taxi counter or

b ) book a private cab for him an have him picked up at arrial level?

Either of the two would have avoided your friend been ripped off... so blame on you too

• Like 1

Some area's simply attract the wrong type of taxi driver.

IMO Soi 11 is such an area. Each time I ask in Thai I get a very fast refusal. It appears to me that the long lines of taxi's there are queuing up to rip off tourists.

Just last night after 5 consecutive refusals (for what is normally a 70-80 baht journey) I asked the taxi driver why he wouldn't go. He answered that he didn't know the area (on Rama IV), I answered that its OK, I know the area well and told him how to get to Rama IV rd from Soi 11. He sad he still didn't know the directions and I laughed and said I don't care, its not a problem because I know where I'm going. He just laughed the 'OK you got me' save face laugh and said to get in. I never had to give him any directions, he knew exactly where to go !

I wouldn't normally use a taxi who shows any signs of dishonesty, but in this case I was getting fed up of the constant refusals.

In the non-touristy areas I never have such issues. It's my suspicion that the tourist areas attract the worst of the drivers. The airport could be turning into such a place where many of the 'chancers' like to queue up for their attempted rip-off.

Some area's simply attract the wrong type of taxi driver.

IMO Soi 11 is such an area. Each time I ask in Thai I get a very fast refusal. It appears to me that the long lines of taxi's there are queuing up to rip off tourists.

Just last night after 5 consecutive refusals (for what is normally a 70-80 baht journey) I asked the taxi driver why he wouldn't go. He answered that he didn't know the area (on Rama IV), I answered that its OK, I know the area well and told him how to get to Rama IV rd from Soi 11. He sad he still didn't know the directions and I laughed and said I don't care, its not a problem because I know where I'm going. He just laughed the 'OK you got me' save face laugh and said to get in. I never had to give him any directions, he knew exactly where to go !

I wouldn't normally use a taxi who shows any signs of dishonesty, but in this case I was getting fed up of the constant refusals.

In the non-touristy areas I never have such issues. It's my suspicion that the tourist areas attract the worst of the drivers. The airport could be turning into such a place where many of the 'chancers' like to queue up for their attempted rip-off.

Yes, the bottom-end of Sukhumvit has all the taxi lurkers, waiting for farangs who hopefully want to go to the airport, no meter and anything up to 800 baht plus tolls. When I was living/working in that area, it was always a chore but walking up to Sukhumvit and flagging down a passing taxi pretty much was a hassle-free, meter-on and no arguments deal.

The simple rule for the airport is ignore anyone touting inside the building and go to the taxi ranks. Someone mentioned earlier that there's less likelihood of a turbo-meter cab if you grab one from the departures drop off. I can't see how that makes a difference as any taxi that drops off at departures that doesn't get a 'savvy' fare back into town from the departures level either goes back around and down to wait in the taxi rank at arrival level or he goes back to town empty. The chances of getting a turbo-meter are same regardless.

Edited by NanLaew

Could someone explain the 'turbo meter' principle and what to look for to me please?

I'm a long time visitor to Thailand ... have taken 100's of taxi rides, but yet to encounter this.

I usually avoid the scams by having good info ... laugh.png

To be fair, apart from the odd one who won't use the meter (in that case, just get straight out) I've never had any trouble in several years of living in BKK and I live just off Soi 11. Only time was when I got in a taxi that was so battered, the inside door handle/arm rest came off in my hand as I tried to close it! Then the guy wouldn't switch the meter on, so I got out but as I left he tried to charge me for breaking his door handle. I just told him pood len.

I can't remember the last time they used a meter. I gave up and use a wonderful car with driver service. Never lets me down and speaks perfect English

any taxi that drops off at departures that doesn't get a 'savvy' fare back into town from the departures level either goes back around and down to wait in the taxi rank at arrival level or he goes back to town empty. The chances of getting a turbo-meter are same regardless.

That's not how it works.

A) Taxis picking up passengers at the taxi stand must be registered with the airport and conform to some criteria (not older than 5 years etc)

C) There is a waiting area part of The Transportation Centre where taxis need to wait until they are called in by batches from the taxi stands.

No item-b because you get a smily bah.gif

Edited by tartempion

Cough ... rolleyes.gif

Could someone explain the 'turbo meter' principle and what to look for to me please?

I'm a long time visitor to Thailand ... have taken 100's of taxi rides, but yet to encounter this.

I usually avoid the scams by having good info ... laugh.png

It could be a lot worse.

Many countries you could be kidnapped for ransom,by rogue taxi drivers.

I know what I would prefer,lose a few quid and have a laugh over a cold one.

All service industries have (perks to the job)

All customers are Marks.

Maybe I should change my name to Grouched.

A taxi driver spots you by your luggage tag,remove at baggage reclaim

It could be a lot worse.

Many countries you could be kidnapped for ransom,by rogue taxi drivers.

I know what I would prefer,lose a few quid and have a laugh over a cold one.

All service industries have (perks to the job)

All customers are Marks.

Maybe I should change my name to Grouched.

A taxi driver spots you by your luggage tag,remove at baggage reclaim

Removing the luggage tag from your suitcase at the baggage claim before getting into a taxi at the airport will make the taxi driver think you have not just gotten off a 'plane.

How does that work exactly?

• Like 1

"Doh the luggage tag,denotes internal,or international flight.

You are a mark"

So if you are at the airport with your bags....what would the taxi driver think you have got off? .....a boat!

Nonsensical post about being a mark,if you have a bag anywhere in the world you could be fair game.

And to correct your other post a turbo meter is nothing to do with not being reset from the last journey....it is when it is over calibrated after installation with the vehicle.

Wheels on the bus go round and round wink.png

Edited by MrRed

Step back and think.

White skin baggage tag htw.

tanned skin baggage reg pkt.

Where's your mark.

The baggage tag denotes origin and destination.

A 1 hr flight or 12+hr flight.

The longer the flight the more vulnerable.

The predator seeks the weakest pray

Step back and think.

White skin baggage tag htw.

tanned skin baggage reg pkt.

Where's your mark.

The baggage tag denotes origin and destination.

A 1 hr flight or 12+hr flight.

The longer the flight the more vulnerable.

The predator seeks the weakest pray

With my gf in the car he will be lucky to get a 20 Baht tip! laugh.png

"Doh the luggage tag,denotes internal,or international flight.

You are a mark"

So if you are at the airport with your bags....what would the taxi driver think you have got off? .....a boat!

Nonsensical post about being a mark,if you have a bag anywhere in the world you could be fair game.

And to correct your other post a turbo meter is nothing to do with not being reset from the last journey....it is when it is over calibrated after installation with the vehicle.

Wheels on the bus go round and round wink.png

I have caught the train to the airport to catch a taxi/car to Pattaya.