Benelli Tnt 600 Inline-Four

Richard-BKK

When I looked at the Benelli 600 at the Pattaya showroom there wasn't one part of the bike that didn't look very good to excellent. The paint, the seat trim, the chrome, the welding, the detail work....everything was spot on. The engine is a proven Yamaha design. What's not to like....well the price! Why anyone would pay CB650 money for a bike made in China, I don't know. Yes I know it has a Benelli badge on it, but so what.

If it was 199.000 baht they couldn't make enough. If it was 230k baht they would still sell like hotcakes. But at a tidge short of 300k baht..............

For the last time, the engine of the Benelli BN600 is not based on a Yamaha design. First the engine not looks the same, second any specs with early Yamaha YZF-R6 engines are completely incompatible.

So please explain why you think that the engine is a Yamaha design?

When I looked at the Benelli 600 at the Pattaya showroom there wasn't one part of the bike that didn't look very good to excellent. The paint, the seat trim, the chrome, the welding, the detail work....everything was spot on. The engine is a proven Yamaha design. What's not to like....well the price! Why anyone would pay CB650 money for a bike made in China, I don't know. Yes I know it has a Benelli badge on it, but so what.

If it was 199.000 baht they couldn't make enough. If it was 230k baht they would still sell like hotcakes. But at a tidge short of 300k baht..............

For the last time, the engine of the Benelli BN600 is not based on a Yamaha design. First the engine not looks the same, second any specs with early Yamaha YZF-R6 engines are completely incompatible.

I think BSJ meant it in a positive way when he said that it was a proven (Yamaha) engine.

Just out of curiousity, given the image that Benelli has (China made bike etc etc), what are the positives of the Benelli over similar 600-650 cc bikes from Honda / Kawasaki / Suzuki / Yamaha? Japanese made bikes have a rock solid reputation and for a similar price point, why does one buy a Benelli? Take into account as well, dealer and servicing network, resale value, aftermarket parts.

Would you care to enlighten me?

• Like 1

I think BSJ meant it in a positive way when he said that it was a proven (Yamaha) engine.

Just out of curiousity, given the image that Benelli has (China made bike etc etc), what are the positives of the Benelli over similar 600-650 cc bikes from Honda / Kawasaki / Suzuki / Yamaha? Japanese made bikes have a rock solid reputation and for a similar price point, why does one buy a Benelli? Take into account as well, dealer and servicing network, resale value, aftermarket parts.

What is positive about something if it's not true?

dont answer questions with questions richard.

just answer frankly, we would like to know.

Fine, so it's not true. I don't know and I don't particularly care either.

But I am genuinely interested to know what are the USP's of the Benelli over more established and socially better known makes, especially when they are all selling at similar prices (which is BSJ's point).

I can understand that a BMW / Ducati / KTM sells for more (even taking away the import and excise duties). I can even understand why some would pay more for a HD, for the image it portrays (there's no accounting for taste - just joking). But a Benelli is ........ a Benelli. Seriously, how many people would choose a Benelli over other makes when they are priced at similar levels? Unless of course Benelli is only interested in the niche market.

Case in point - Bugatti at over a million a pop, is not bothered to sell as many numbers as Porsches or Ferraris. Similarly, an antique shop is not intending to sell as many chairs and cabinets as Ikea. What's Benelli's marketing strategy? Mass market or niche market? Serious, real sportbike lovers or a rider than can afford to buy a big bike?

Sorry , i didnt mean to cause confusion with a previous post . I was told the engine design was based on an earlier Yamaha R6 unit , and im a member of the Benelli club !!.I dont think of it as a posotive or negative that Benelli did or didnt design the engine (they are more than capable of designing great engines, remember the "SIX").Benelli seems to be going for two markets , the up and coming Asia market with the smaller bikes , say up to 600cc , and the niche market with the Italian built bikes , TNT , Tornado etc.Gweiloman , im the fool who WOULD pay the same or more for a Benelli , just because i can , and im different. This is only my opinion as to why i like particular bikes. Many / most wont agree. I accept that.

• Like 1

However, I would still like to know what are the plus points of the Benelli vs other makes.

Having not owned one I cannot say 1st hand

But my guess would be "name", "Brand Loyalty" aside............

One can look & see components are better ( on paper) than what it is competing against.

But again without 1st hand experience one cannot say for instance their USD forks are better than the spindly

but reliable forks on their competition (By Competition I am guessing folks looking at these are also looking at Honda 500,650 & Kawasaki 650 )

Other things exists such as braided lines etc...

Some models & I am not sure if it is the ones sold here also sport decent stock Metzler rubber etc

Lastly & again on paper alone some of their stats are better such as PWR compared to their main rivals

Then as KTMJeff said at the end of the day it is what floats your boat that matters as none here are wringing

every last hp out of these

Edited by mania
  • Like 2

However, I would still like to know what are the plus points of the Benelli vs other makes.

Having not owned one I cannot say 1st hand

But my guess would be "name", "Brand Loyalty" aside............

One can look & see components are better ( on paper) than what it is competing against.

But again without 1st hand experience one cannot say for instance their USD forks are better than the spindly

but reliable forks on their competition (By Competition I am guessing folks looking at these are also looking at Honda 500,650 & Kawasaki 650 )

Other things exists such as braided lines etc...

Some models & I am not sure if it is the ones sold here also sport decent stock Metzler rubber etc

Lastly & again on paper alone some of their stats are better such as PWR compared to their main rivals

Then as KTMJeff said at the end of the day it is what floats your boat that matters as none here are wringing

every last hp out of these

Thanks Mania, interesting.

So far, have not seen any Benellis out on track (lots of ER6's, CBR's). It would be nice to see a Benelli out there and how it stacks up against the comp.

• Like 1

biggezt reason for my friend on buying the benelli is the 3 months gueue for cb650f at bigwing for example.

but i believe benelli 600 is a proper bike and nothing wrong on buying one. some people might love its italian genes, sound etc.

i found cb 650f overall offers a better ride than benelli. but benelli twin pipes sound better.

benelli sure is expensive here when its price is same as cb650.

hope benelli sells it at 199 - 220 k thb soon than OK bargain.

Look at the pixs. One can only assume the Chinese have a license to copy the design externally and internally...or is it a matter of "oops, ours looks just like theirs!"

post-63954-0-71327500-1413122279_thumb.jpost-63954-0-74667700-1413122297_thumb.j

I am not anti-Chinese. He11 everything I sell in Australia is Chinese made!

And I am thinking the Chinese are going full bore to hit the quality standards that Japanese makers achieve.

But if I was going to buy a Benelli it would be the the Trek or Trek Amazonas....with the Trek alloy wheels.

Of course it's more than triple the price! But it is pure class.

post-63954-0-26908100-1413214647_thumb.j

• Like 2

Look at the pixs. One can only assume the Chinese have a license to copy the design externally and internally...or is it a matter of "oops, ours looks just like theirs!"

attachicon.gifBenelli 600 engine.JPGattachicon.gifYamaha R6.JPG

IF you compare two boxes you would find many similar design features, but when it comes to complex mechanical devices like a inline-four 600cc motorcycle engine you have to look at much more than just the box, because with most inline-four engines the crankshaft is located at the same location, which means that the clutch is also located at the same place, the gears and the kickstarter and therefore the starter motor... You can find this in engines from Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki or even exotic motorcycle brands.

If the Benelli BN600 is using an engine copied from Yamaha, show us that it has the same specs, bore size, stroke length, cylinder firing, cylinder angle actually give us an example of a Yamaha YZF-R6 engine part that fits on the Benelli BN600 without modification. (with exception of spark-plugs... etc).

The truth is that many 600cc inline-four engines are very similar, and we can basically say that every motorcycle engine is a copy of the engine developed by Dr. Frederick W. Lanchester in 1911, yes that was a aircraft engine, but early aircraft designed engines where perfect for the newly developed motorcycles...

• Like 2

A major difference is that the Yamaha valve chain for the Yamaha YZF-R6 runs at the right side of the engine, while the valve chain is by the Benelli BN600 located at the left side.

One more the engine oil pump is by the Benelli is powered by a chain on the left side, while by the Yamaha the engine oil pump is powered by a chain on the right side much deeper in the engine. (for instance to adjust the Yamaha chain tensioner you have to remove the oil pump...

Of course a few less mechanical people would say the Chinese could have modified the engine so that all parts are different and moved a few chains from right to left.... But the more technical people would have to admit that the differences with the Yamaha and Benelli engine would mean that it would cost Benelli probably more to modify a old Yamaha engine than build one from scratch...

Edited by Richard-BKK
  • Like 1

one is European version and one is for poor Asian people - i believe when manufacturers do this, it is a discrimination and i mean it.

Both sold in Thailand by the dealer? Do you know which one is which and price difference?

They're obviously not the only ones doing this, like Ducati with the 795 / 796.

Unfortunately also very prevalent in the car market where you seldom get the same specs across regions. Just try to buy a family sedan here with more than 4 airbags, not to mention 8..

A major difference is that the Yamaha valve chain for the Yamaha YZF-R6 runs at the right side of the engine, while the valve chain is by the Benelli BN600 located at the left side.

One more the engine oil pump is by the Benelli is powered by a chain on the left side, while by the Yamaha the engine oil pump is powered by a chain on the right side much deeper in the engine. (for instance to adjust the Yamaha chain tensioner you have to remove the oil pump...

Of course a few less mechanical people would say the Chinese could have modified the engine so that all parts are different and moved a few chains from right to left.... But the more technical people would have to admit that the differences with the Yamaha and Benelli engine would mean that it would cost Benelli probably more to modify a old Yamaha engine than build one from scratch...

Well Richard I wasn't expecting the engine to be exactly the same. The R6 puts out more HP and Torque as it it a street racer engine not a sports bike engine.

And unless I've read the parts manual upside down the cam chain is on the right side of the BN600 engine. Check the valve gear drawing I lifted from the Benelli forum dot com.

post-63954-0-08345500-1413291783_thumb.j

Benelli BN600 Bore x Stroke : 65.0 x 45.2 Displacement : 600cc

R6 Pre 2006.. Bore x Stroke : 65.5 x 44.5 Displacement : 599.8cc

Well Richard I wasn't expecting the engine to be exactly the same. The R6 puts out more HP and Torque as it it a street racer engine not a sports bike engine.

And unless I've read the parts manual upside down the cam chain is on the right side of the BN600 engine. Check the valve gear drawing I lifted from the Benelli forum dot com.

attachicon.gifBenelli BN600 valve ass.JPG

Benelli BN600 Bore x Stroke : 65.0 x 45.2 Displacement : 600cc

R6 Pre 2006.. Bore x Stroke : 65.5 x 44.5 Displacement : 599.8cc

BSJ,

You completely right, the Benelli chain is on the right side... and the Yamaha also, right? But still because two boxes look similar they not have to be based on the same design.

So what is the main indication that the Benelli engine is a copy of a Yamaha R6 engine, because the bore and stroke are similar? Then maybe it's a copy of a Suzuki engine? The Suzuki GSX-R600 engine from 1993 has exactly the same bore and stroke, but not much else can be compared with the Suzuki engine, so maybe it is based on a Honda engine, many Chinese copy Honda stuff right... and the Benelli BN600 has the oil-filter exactly where the Honda CBR600RR has it's oil-filter... So maybe they took the engine looks from Yamaha, borrowed the bore and stroke from Suzuki and used a few things from Honda and maybe even Kawasaki some bolts and nuts look very similar to what you can find in a Kawasaki engine...

Or the Benelli research and development department, which is located in Italy and has since the Chinese bought Benelli more staff (Italians) than before, have designed the engine themselves... They have some experience you know they're where one of the first to produce a inline-four engine in late 1911 (only about 8 months) after Dr. Frederick W. Lanchester showed the world it's inline-four airplane engine... Of course Benelli from Pesaro, Italy where at that time more into single and twin-engine motorcycle engines...

Here some pictures from the engines from Honda, Yamaha and Suzuki

post-12170-0-19469500-1413295515_thumb.j

post-12170-0-51742000-1413295526_thumb.j

post-12170-0-35576500-1413295538_thumb.j

Edited by Richard-BKK

The first time the Benelli inline-four was introduced to the public was in 2009, it was a futuristic motorcycle designed by a team of Italians with as project leader Mr. Pierluigi Marconi, who as you probably would imagined Bimota, oversaw development of the Tesi's hub-center steered front end at Bimota.

The futuristic hub steering was not approved by the new Chinese owners of Benelli as they needed a motorcycle that would be easily accepted. Hub steering was just to much of the main path for a budget motorcycle. Some say that Benelli copied also the frame from Aprilia but that is also not true, both the Aprilia and the BN600 are based on the same geometric as the Bimota Tesi (both also removed the hub steering).

The Benelli Quattro as the engine is officially called is fully designed developed in Italy by the same team of designers and engineers under the leadership of Mr. Pierluigi Marconi

Mr. Pierluigi Marconi designed motorcycles for Bimota, Aprilia, Piaggio Group plus a few more and also personally holds the patents on fuel injection system for two stroke engine low pressure, front steering system without front fork, combinated brake system.... and a few more...

And this guy borrowed a old Yamaha engine design, modified it and used it in a motorcycle that is sold as one of his babies....

The pictures are the first idea of the Benelli inline-four motorcycle from 2009 and the engine at the R&D in Italy... Maybe the legendary engine of the Aprilia RST1000 is also a copy as it's also designed by Mr. Pierluigi Marconi.... Currently Mr. Pierluigi Marconi works for Gas Gas an Italian off-road bike companies, probably also copying Yamaha engines.....

post-12170-0-11988000-1413298478_thumb.j

post-12170-0-50735000-1413298489_thumb.j

Edited by Richard-BKK

I was told many years ago that Honda(from a Honda warranty man)possibly the others)farm out some engine requirements etc from a 3rd party.

Could this be the reason that some engines are very similar?,from the same engine company!.

I was told many years ago that Honda(from a Honda warranty man)possibly the others)farm out some engine requirements etc from a 3rd party.

Could this be the reason that some engines are very similar?,from the same engine company!.

Motorcycle manufacturers are actually not making so much money as most people think, they basically bank on the fact that people need to buy parts to repair the motorcycle. But if a motorcycle manufacturer keeps the specifications for too long the same aftermarket manufacturers start to make the same parts and sell them often cheaper....

To keep making money, motorcycle manufacturers, mostly every 3-years change some specifications so that it's less interesting for 3th party parts manufacturers to make specific parts for that motorcycle. Of course not all manufacturers do this, or do it less visible and most do it only for the bodywork as that is the one that often get damaged and people might want to buy new fairing to look like the latest model....

So the small difference in specifications is often only for keep making money....

• Like 2

Well Richard, with your reference to Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki and some 4 cylinder made in 1911 I am leaning towards a conclusion that your trying to muddy the waters in this discussion.

I don't know if you have invested heavily in Benelli but your sure going full steam to disprove the link between the BN600 engine and the R6 engine.

I think that any engine copied from an excellent model like the R6 is a plus , not a minus. So from my point of view it doesn't matter whether it is or it isn't related to the R6.

Well Richard, with your reference to Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki and some 4 cylinder made in 1911 I am leaning towards a conclusion that your trying to muddy the waters in this discussion.

I don't know if you have invested heavily in Benelli but your sure going full steam to disprove the link between the BN600 engine and the R6 engine.

I think that any engine copied from an excellent model like the R6 is a plus , not a minus. So from my point of view it doesn't matter whether it is or it isn't related to the R6.

Dear BSJ,

Sure you can try to get away with like Richard has invested heavy into Benelli Thailand. But, you're wrong, I not give a f.ck about Benelli. Actually, I agree with most critics that the Honda CB650F is currently the better choice, for the average rider.

I not into what looks better or what looks less good for a motorcycle, I look for what is the truth... and for the truth there is no selecting sides...

I like to add that Yamaha started to produce motorcycles in 1955... and that Yamaha in court (yes by law, is the highest ever automotive company until today to be convicted since it was created of using technology from other people and manufacturers....)