Pattaya Beginning To Earn Bad Reputation With Russian Tourists

Rimmer

Pattaya beginning to earn bad reputation with Russian tourists

PATTAYA:--Russian Federation Consul Andrey Dvornikov told police and city officials that, due to increasing crime against tourists, Pattaya is gaining a growing reputation back home for being unsafe.

At a Nov. 19 meeting between Thai and Russian officials and tour operators, the embassy counselor cited the increasing frequency of gold and handbag snatches and hotel burglaries, saying crimes are being reported in Russia with many travelers forming negative impressions of safety in Pattaya.

Dvornikov blamed the increase in crime to the termination of joint Pattaya Police-Royal Thai Navy patrols earlier this decade. Ended due to budget constraints, the Military-Police Cooperative Patrol Project was supposed to be restarted in May 2009 following a mandate from then-Gov. Senee Jittakasem. But despite calling the program “essential” for tourism, the plan was sent to a committee for study, never to reemerge.

The Russian consul also was critical of Thai officials for the common practice of hotels taking tourists passports. He said passports were property of the Russian government and that Thai officials showed “negligence” in instructing hotels to demand and hold them.

Full story:http://www.pattayamail.com/localnews/pattaya-beginning-to-earn-bad-reputation-with-russian-tourists-18715

[pattayamail][/pattayamail]

• Like 1

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taking peoples passports? I am sorry but this bit I don't understand? When did this become routine in Pattaya? That is just wrong.

The Embassy official is bang on. Nice to see a Country grow a pair and man up.

Who is next? Australia maybe, one of the Scandnavian's??

Taking peoples passports? I am sorry but this bit I don't understand? When did this become routine in Pattaya?

I wonder if it's because many may be on package tours. They come in on charter jet, get transferred to the hotel and the rep hands the passports to the hotel - don't know, just wondering. Early this year on an open day at U Tapao airport I saw 3 or 4 planes on the apron in red livery sporting the name 'Nordwind' which is a Russian charter company. If there are that number parked up at any one time I would guess that a large number of the Russians in Pattaya have come in through there.

I see this as paying lip-service to his countrymen just as any response is paying lip-service to fellow officials. Nothing new here.

Not sure either party has really studied the issues related to numbers of Russian residents and tourists and the antics they get up to as well as their potential vulnerability.

Edited by petercool

Taking peoples passports? I am sorry but this bit I don't understand? When did this become routine in Pattaya?

I wonder if it's because many may be on package tours. They come in on charter jet, get transferred to the hotel and the rep hands the passports to the hotel - don't know, just wondering. Early this year on an open day at U Tapao airport I saw 3 or 4 planes on the apron in red livery sporting the name 'Nordwind' which is a Russian charter company. If there are that number parked up at any one time I would guess that a large number of the Russians in Pattaya have come in through there.

Maybe as many are on group tours or have a reputation for skipping out in bills, they can't check out without getting their passports before settling their bill. There have been a couple of cases of group tour companies going g broke and leaving the local hotel high and dry.

As to general practice of keepi g a guest's passport, its never happened to me anywhere in the world, including Thailand...maybe a benefit of a Western passport.

Everything is relative. London has more muggings and car thefts. LA has more murders. Sydney has more assaults. Manila has more drug addicts. Moscow has more drunks. Yes, they are all larger than Pattaya but per capita statistics would be interesting to know.

Screw the Russian business segment too; then do the same with the mainland Chinese and Southasian visitors = NO BUSINESS ANYMORE.

Somehow nobody in this town realized, that Thais have changed the wealthy and money-spending Western European against the present rubberneck tourist groups.

The six-star Royal Cliff Beach, an icon on the Southeast Asian map in line with the Raffles Singapore, Railway Hotel Hua Hin, the Strand in Rangoon and the Oriental in Bangkok ........ downgraded itself to a cheap sleep bunker; the revenues must be considerably lower than ten years ago.

How can Thai authorities instruct hotels to keep passports if it's a legal requirement for foreigners to carry them at all times. Is this actually true, or has it been mis-reported. If it's true, can the tourists be fined for not having their passports on them?

Screw the Russian business segment too; then do the same with the mainland Chinese and Southasian visitors = NO BUSINESS ANYMORE.

Somehow nobody in this town realized, that Thais have changed the wealthy and money-spending Western European against the present rubberneck tourist groups.

The six-star Royal Cliff Beach, an icon on the Southeast Asian map in line with the Raffles Singapore, Railway Hotel Hua Hin, the Strand in Rangoon and the Oriental in Bangkok ........ downgraded itself to a cheap sleep bunker; the revenues must be considerably lower than ten years ago.

A number of us recognized that Pattaya was being transformed in to a package tourist destination, but we were not taken seriously. I moved to North Naklua-fore warned is fore armed.

That's moving out to the hinterlands :-)

So how many russians are complaining, 1000,s , 100,s 10,s?????

Pattaya IS safer than many parts of the world,and a dam_n sight safer than many towns/cities in the uk,who would want an holiday in Glasgow

All my friends Stateside have had their cars broken into multiple times...owned two cars for over 10 years in Pattaya and narry a problem. Same for all my friends. Also, have never felt unsafe at any time or place in 15 years of living in Thailand. Thailand has problems, but IMHO, random violent crime (ala Brazil) is not one of them.

• Like 2

Unlike some nationalities, most western farang already know about Pattaya's notorious reputation. We don't walk with our kids down Soi 6 or take our fully veiled Muslim wives to Walking Street(yes, I've seen it!)rolleyes.gif . They should research their choice of destinations beforehand. Is there a Google in Russia? Guess not.

• Like 1