Kids Dying/hurting In Thailand. Is This Actually A Horrible Country?

themadpoorfreelover

@NanLaew

you make some good points there and i do agree with you somewhat you are right a little about the thai mentality. and i understand about all the buddha stuff and how they feel about merit and all that stuff. but it doesn't really matter, because everyone that really looks at feels it is a contradiction, and a boringly repetitive one too.

especially the Thais that live here who are either educated and came to learn the truth, we told them the truth or they some how learnt the truth through life experience best thing my TGF ever did was stop to go to temple and believe all that. not because i told her to but because she said something like "I had such a < Snip! > up life, buddha never helped me so why should i believe that stuff"//... good on her for making a decision outside of what she had been force fed. does my son have to "make monk" when he is older no certainly not, does that mean that his mum will go to hell, no of course not. does her family get almost angry and crazy about certain things like superstitions and all kind of other stuff? yes, but they keep it too themselves these days because maybe they understand a little bit more after coming into contact with a farang. so what can you do do help, well if you have kids, it would be a good idea not to let them school here, even if they were going to a international school their peers, there friends thai teachers, maybe even other farangs will certainly brainwash them into believe superstitions and all that stuff.

and yeh i generally dont care what people do, but yes life is like Ramsey street because you have to know who your neighbor is and what he does, especially if you have kids. If you had kids would you live next to a pedophile and invite him/her over to drink beer and watch the football? even if he/she was reformed and never did anything ever again, are you saying it wouldn't make you uncomfortable? and its not all of a sexual nature. would you want you kids to grow up with alcoholics next door, vomiting and urinating over each other and themselves, fighting screaming, asking for money and what ever else constitutes your "normal Thailand which isnt Ramsey street". i dont know where you live but im sure you are insulated from all this kind of stuff, or you would ahve moved or changed your viewpoint.

and you say that Thais arent prone to public acts of violence or anger:

ANOTHER misunderstood STEREOTYPE.

uhh why is Thailand murder rate so high, why have i seen so many criminal acts and such going on in public, in any town or city, why have i seen thai women hitting their husbands in public and why did i once witness a man beat his wife in a drunken rage with a full soda bottle? why did i see two thai women stab a thai man in soi buahkaw market infront of 100 onlookers, the first time they put the knife in him they realized they had crossed the line, they didnt stop. no they stabbed him a further 7 or 8 times with a 6 inch boning knife.

all uneducated people are prone to random acts of public violence .Thailand has the 4th or 5th highest murder rate in the world. 33 in 100,000 people are murdered every year by fire arms. in Australia its something like .33 in 100,000 people.

like i said, you make some good points there and i do agree with you somewhat you are right a little about the thai mentality. but i actually think is more apathy and self worth rather than "the next life" which i believe to be only an ideal and not a comprehension, so in that instance you could relate it to how you feel when you see malnourished African kids on world vision ads...

well its not happening on ramsey street so it doesn't concern me...

Edited by metisdead

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its really been in the last year that i came to realise what is going on here.

at first i was just on an exttended holiday, and i didnt care what the thais did to each other.

but after having family ties here my views changed,

i can understand guy living in patts and bkk or wherever are having great times and i dont try to get in the middle of that, i am simply trying to poin out what i see as the truth and just break the illusion. like the guy earlier who said he wanted to retire here, well i hope i could have helped him a little, if he still decides to live here then maybe he would be a littl more carefull about what he gets involved in and stuf, and yes once im out of here i have zero intention to return....

at first i was just on an exttended holiday, and i didnt care what the thais did to each other.

i can understand guy living in patts and bkk or wherever are having great times and i dont try to get in the middle of that, i am simply trying to poin out what i see as the truth and just break the illusion. like the guy earlier who said he wanted to retire here, well i hope i could have helped him a little, if he still decides to live here then maybe he would be a littl more carefull about what he gets involved in and stuf, and yes once im out of here i have zero intention to return....

mpflover

Rest assured you have helped me. I have zero intention of having any more children, and will get myself fixed up to ensure that. I have been paying the equivalent of 30,000bht per month for many years to an ex here in Oz, and as far as more children is concerned I am done.

For me, its about enjoying a laid back lifestyle, warm weather, removing myself from a high stress job, and enjoying access to hot women as and when I desire. Having been divorced already and lost a stack of cash, there is no way I am tying myself down to any one woman again, here in Oz or in LOS. And I am making sure I have enough cash to insulate myself from the poverty you have seen there, just as I do here (ie I dont live in a low socio-economic area here in Oz either)

yes i still having cash and assets at home but yeh sometimes you got to st a limit to how much money you want to spend in a country that you dont really love, thats really what it comes down too, I set myself an exit strategy with a cash limit, now its run out its time to leave and start a new life again and not to keep re-living past experiences hoping they will happen again. if you already had the "best sex of your life" then you cant do that again.. there are those moments which are too great to be repeated... but yeh i think most people get stuck trying to relive them.. changing ones lifestyle dramatically is the best way to re-invigorate yourself. so if you are a retired aged guy who worked all his life to support some bitch of a farang wife who fatted out and made you hate your life, then a sea change to pattaya could defiantly be the way to live out your age.. but if you were a young guy like me , and there are many young guys in pattaya then, you have to get out one day or you will become a pattaya addict.

probably the worst age for someone to go pattaya is middle aged, from what i have seen i brought a mate there once who was 38.. it changed him for the worse... but eyh i dont want to give these people my money anymore and I dont want them influencing my son.

In case you did not know drowning is the leading cause of unintentional injury death in children aged 1-3 years in Australia - info from WHO report. 600,000 children living at or below the official poverty line in Australia. However, very different quality of living to poor families in Thailand living at or below the official poverty line. With a population of around 22 million, 7 million receive tax payer money from the government via Centrelink, so it's not all milk and honey in Oz.

From the glass is half full view of the world, have a wonderful new life upon your return to Oz - from what you've said it's absolutely the right move for you & your child's future.

Best of luck...

Edited by simple1

All the OP's posts just sound like the ravings of a child to me!coffee1.gif

Sounds like an adult suddenly trust onto a planet where the inhabitants have never mentally developed past pre-school age to me.

Could be a movie made about it really.

Or perhaps a documentary.

Edited by cbrer
  • Like 1

600,000 children living at or below the official poverty line in Australia. However, very different quality of living to poor families in Thailand living at or below the official poverty line. With a population of around 22 million, 7 million receive tax payer money from the government via Centrelink, so it's not all milk and honey in Oz.

I wonder what % of those are aborigines living in aborigine populated towns/regions.

I'm a little lost here......

OP what is your actual point?

That Thailand has bad crime?

That you are more likely to die in Thailand than in Australia?

What's your point? 99.9% of the world population would realise this already.

my point is a question, I dont really know the answer to,

Is this a horrible country

Is my TGFs village the worst in thailand

can you give any reason why kids should be raised here over australia. those are kind of my points but its more of a discussion, im just trying to understand why people are here.

I prefer Thailand because the west is too expensive, too regulated, too trendy and WAYYYYYYYY too PC.

PS and of course the girls are prettier and more feminine.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

600,000 children living at or below the official poverty line in Australia. However, very different quality of living to poor families in Thailand living at or below the official poverty line. With a population of around 22 million, 7 million receive tax payer money from the government via Centrelink, so it's not all milk and honey in Oz.

I wonder what % of those are aborigines living in aborigine populated towns/regions.

A 2004 Senate inquiry into Poverty stated that about 30 per cent of Indigenous households are in income poverty, which indicates that over 120,000 Indigenous people are living below the poverty line

Edited by simple1

I here what you are saying and believe you are genuine about caring for your son. Thailand is a DEVELOPING country, don't let anybody tell you differently. Some parts of Thailand have all the trappings of a modern civilised society but when you scratch beneath the surface sometimes you will discover it is but a veneer. Other parts of Thailand are not much better than subsistence farming and scratching for survival whilst the rest is somewhere between the two. From what you have written it would seem the GF's village is at one end of the spectrum ..... the crappy end. But just last week in Pakistan a young 15 year old girl had her throat slit by her family because she refused to be a prostitute. In Manilla children live off the pickings from the rubbish dump. I'm from Oz too and not long ago a mother in Hobart was jailed because she was selling her 14 yr old out to the local men. What you are witnessing is just one part of human nature, but there are other more uplifting parts to see if you look; here as well as other places. It is very easy to look around you here and get drawn into the drama that is Thai living, but if you do get drawn in then it is by your choice. Luckily your son has a dad that wants more for him... by all means return to Oz... but it will be more difficult financially there than here. There are better places to live than what you have described. For me, I will return to Oz when I am ready, partly due to some of the reasons you mentioned but until I do, it is my job to find the best here and make the most of what there is. I still cycle through a hate Thailand phase... but I just wait until it passes then get on with my life.

Good luck

• Like 1

A 2004 Senate inquiry into Poverty stated that about 30 per cent of Indigenous households are in income poverty, which indicates that over 120,000 Indigenous people are living below the poverty line

What's the poverty line in Australia?

What's the poverty line in Australia?

In 2010 the poverty line for a single adult was a disposable income of less than $358 a week and $752 for a couple with two children. More than half a million children live below the poverty line, almost half in lone-parent families.

below the poverty line.. hmm its very debatable.

when i was going to university in Australia i got about 250 a week from the government (student payments), my rent alone was 100 a week in a share house. bills were about 25 dollars a week. i had about 120 dolalrs a wekk for clothes, food and wahtever else. rode a bicycle to uni at healthy food, went boxing everyday, spent the rest of my money on books and pens smile.png had no laptop or anything//... that period was the happyiest in my life so easy and care free.

but yes i have seen people on double that feeding a kid who cant manage, but more than likely a good percentage of these people had bad habit that affect their cash.. smoking.. drinking.. gambling etc. yes its deplorable. the australian public trustee needs to be expanded to all those people who cant manage. but hey 358 a week or whatever is heaps. and alot of those people get low cost housing too which is like 40 dollars a week or something.

Edited by themadpoorfreelover

below the poverty line.. hmm its very debatable.

when i was going to university in Australia i got about 250 a week from the government (student payments), my rent alone was 100 a week in a share house. bills were about 25 dollars a week. i had about 120 dolalrs a wekk for clothes, food and wahtever else. rode a bicycle to uni at healthy food, went boxing everyday, spent the rest of my money on books and pens smile.png had no laptop or anything//... that period was the happyiest in my life so easy and care free.

but yes i have seen people on double that feeding a kid who cant manage, but more than likely a good percentage of these people had bad habit that affect their cash.. smoking.. drinking.. gambling etc. yes its deplorable. the australian public trustee needs to be expanded to all those people who cant manage. but hey 358 a week or whatever is heaps. and alot of those people get low cost housing too which is like 40 dollars a week or something.

You seem to be a little out of touch. Most areas low income housing waiting time maybe 5/10 years. One bedroom apartment in a city, not in the inner city area, say $220 a week. leaves $138 a week - try living off that is most areas of Australia for all living costs. There are approx 175,000 Australians on public housing waiting lists. Australia has just 5 per cent of all housing as public and community housing. Similar countries, like the UK, have approximately 20 per cent of their housing stock as public and community housing.

Don't get me wrong if you have a reasonable income Australia is a great place to live for a family.

Edited by simple1

englishinsiam

yeh it isnt really the same with the Thais, i mean i have seen people borrow money on land just to blow 30,000 on a few parties, clothes, a new telephone and buy a motorbike on finance.... these are parents to. show people and easy way to get some credit, even if they can barely make the repayments they will in all likely hood blow it.

i got more stories to tell, but in essence i dont think there is much worth saying as, once people have made up their mind its very hard to change, lest you use some radical manipulation. Im not going to do that. I havent made up my mind,

@

simple1

​ok if you have no friends and are a street person who cant get into any housing it could be very hard... then the allure of just on more drink to quell the pain.. but if you are semi-intelligent and responsible and can find a room with a friend or even with a stranger, its quite easy to live of 250 a week.... I have done it for more than a year at one time.. and believe me you can reach great philosophical planes of thought when you have all this time to think and write or do whatever you need to do. consuming takes time. both to collect the funds nessecery to consume and also to go and disperse those funds to quell your desires.. whatever they may be.

dont need to live in a one bedroom apartment in the city to be happy.

go live here and catch your lunch everyday rockfishing..

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/huon-valley/property-for-rent/waterfront-living/1009131306

mate it is beautiful to be australian.

Edited by themadpoorfreelover

@

simple1

​ok if you have no friends and are a street person who cant get into any housing it could be very hard... then the allure of just on more drink to quell the pain.. but if you are semi-intelligent and responsible and can find a room with a friend or even with a stranger, its quite easy to live of 250 a week.... I have done it for more than a year at one time.. and believe me you can reach great philosophical planes of thought when you have all this time to think and write or do whatever you need to do. consuming takes time. both to collect the funds nessecery to consume and also to go and disperse those funds to quell your desires.. whatever they may be.

dont need to live in a one bedroom apartment in the city to be happy.

go live here and catch your lunch everyday rockfishing..

http://www.gumtree.c...ving/1009131306

mate it is beautiful to be australian.

Sure, but don't you have a son to take care of - up to you if Tasmania is your thing, not for me; much prefer Sunshine Coastsmile.png

Well, a lot of personal happiness in the world comes from people with whom you associate. If you keep on living in slums, finding girlfriends who come from the most retarded areas of Thailand, it is logical that you will be unhappy, or think that all thais are rotten, drunkards and drug addicts. It seems that you were not very happy choosing your gf... Our parents, of late, used to tell us to choose carefully our partners, by looking into their families. Not an unsound advice. Love is all nice and beautiful, but some degree of realism also helps. You did not tell us much about your gf, btw. Is she also a drug addict, or how did she escape that chain of misery?

The poster who started this thread, the OP, paints a really shocking picture of village life in Thailand with all those drownings, murders, drink and drug problems. I live in Bangkok and I'm sure all those things go on but I'm oblivious to it, save for what I read in the newspaper or watch on TV - perhaps you just get to know everything in a village, or maybe village life is a bit worse. Whatever. It's a really unsettling post, though.

• Like 1

It is likely to be the same in the lowest reaches of any country's class system.

Pikeys and aged council estates in the UK etc. Rednecks and trailerparks in the US. Rural aboriginal settlements in Australia.

It's just that they make up a small % of the population and area. In Thailand it probably accounts for half the population, 70% of dwellings, and is also the demographic most Western men who come here marry into.

Put the same Western man into the bottom of the barrel class in his own society and he's likely to be just as shocked.

Edited by cbrer

@

aussiebebe

Thanks for understanding the picture im trying to paint.. yes it is much worse in reality (of course we can go on to say its worse in Cambodia and Africa etc...) but TIT the place that we all chose to spend these years.. sure i knew it was a fuked up place when i first came but it never set in untill i had paternal connection here....

but yeh TGF is just an example, I could write a book of short stories based on just a few happenings from her village... but then again, her fathers village is maybe even more crazy.. its on the fringe of issan society 20 mins from the lao border in the mountains, the last village down a 30 km dirt road... its eerie up there, but actually a really nice village, with amazing views and stuff, i would much rather live there in that village then TGFs mothers village . except there are some problems there which i cant talk about here.. i mean they actually really push the boundaries of criminality up there, i mean none of the men up there even drink. uttaradit has similar problems i think if anyone has ever lived up there...

but yeh if you meet those girls from the country you should understand why they will melt so easy into a relaxed lifestyle with a farnag, because there is no stress only how much money to send home to the village.. the relatives are getting thirsty...

Well, a lot of personal happiness in the world comes from people with whom you associate. If you keep on living in slums, finding girlfriends who come from the most retarded areas of Thailand, it is logical that you will be unhappy, or think that all thais are rotten, drunkards and drug addicts. It seems that you were not very happy choosing your gf... Our parents, of late, used to tell us to choose carefully our partners, by looking into their families. Not an unsound advice. Love is all nice and beautiful, but some degree of realism also helps. You did not tell us much about your gf, btw. Is she also a drug addict, or how did she escape that chain of misery?

no she isnt a drug addict and yeh she works in the Mitsubishi factory at the moment, she is very responsible girl. and the mother of my son.

i dont know where you hang out, but i dont think this village is actually untypical. its more the norm.. yeh sure you can rock through some village, or go with your girlfriend, and im sure that everyone will be on their best behavior, and everything will seem calm and normal, but its not until you live there and people start to drop their gaurd around you, and forget you are a farang.. then... and yeh a girl is a girl too me, if one was fat or ugly i couldn't stay with them, so i am happy, + she is a brillant cook and washes my clothes and all that shit.