Samui & Phangan Still Without Power For 2Nd Day .story Continues With Updated Info & Suggestions.

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Power is back since 4:30 am this morning in Phangan too... Is this going to last ?!

What is the official statement by the Authority on the situation... No one knows where to look, where to ask.

Any updates about the situation are appreciated.

I trust all those 5* tourists, who paid a fortune in flights and accomodation are enjoying this green eco friendly boutique island. i hope they liked their box of matches, warm bottled water and rip off taxi fare as they made their hasty exit (probably never to return) to the boutique airport. Truely unbelievable! cheesy.gif

Edited by carmine

1) Still no power on Plai Laem Soi 4 but everywhere else it would seem! Never had our 2 hour "on period" . 20 minutes on Wednesday evening and 5 minutes last night despite the street lights being on - but nothing to the houses and of course PEA not answering the phone!

2) Went to book a ticket at Bangkok Air Office yesterday afternoon. No problem. We were the only people in the office and had a choice of flights today. Did not seem to be a panic, as reported, to leave the island.

In Japan these managers would be falling on their swords - here they will be congratulating themselves on solving a problem that should never have happened. Not a word of apology from PEA. Nothing from Central Government - problem solved, we can ignore it now!

Still no power in Maenam area around Soi 4 area although ring road area is on! We did not get our 2 hour ration expected midnight til 2 am so no electric since yesterday morning!

I think you might have a problem with your local transformer.I know it's a cliche, but try to call them, they might have to reset a breaker.

Power is back since 4:30 am this morning in Phangan too... Is this going to last ?!

What is the official statement by the Authority on the situation... No one knows where to look, where to ask.

Any updates about the situation are appreciated.

Read the report in the Bkk post.

I trust all those 5* tourists, who paid a fortune in flights and accomodation are enjoying this green eco friendly boutique island. i hope they liked their box of matches, warm bottled water and rip off taxi fare as they made their hasty exit (probably never to return) to the boutique airport. Truely unbelievable! cheesy.gif

In all honesty , I do not think these 5* tourists would have even noticed.Business as usual in these places.

No because most have already flown out.

Still no power in Maenam area around Soi 4 area although ring road area is on! We did not get our 2 hour ration expected midnight til 2 am so no electric since yesterday morning!

Maenam, seems to be a weird grid system , Soi 5 is on, (at least some one I phoned there, parts of Soi 4 too.... is on !!! (so far!!!.... fingers crossed) wink.png

Mine was the last to go out the other day... when this first happened...

From one of our members:

Hi,

This is a FB page of one of the workers at the Electric department on Samui:

https://www.facebook.com/kma.pea

He confirmed that everything is back to normal since 04:28 and that the works have been done.

Regards

Very interesting web page.

Well that explains why it all took so long - the power workers were spending half the time on their flippin FaceBook diaries!

R

• Like 2

From one of our members:

Hi,

This is a FB page of one of the workers at the Electric department on Samui:

https://www.facebook.com/kma.pea

He confirmed that everything is back to normal since 04:28 and that the works have been done.

Regards

Very interesting web page.

the story about insulation tape and pieces of old tyre are absolutely true

also the depth of that line is asking for trouble and why is the cable "naked" without an extra casing in the ground

Friday morning and yes after over 3 days we have power ( fingers crossed ) came back on in the early hours and has now been running for a good 7 hours. What is more annoying is you would think that whoever was running the crisis would have posted big notices in Big C, Macro and Tesco both in Thai and English to explain what was happening but I suppose that is to complicated for them. Samui has lost big money over the last few days the electricity issues on the island have long been a joke power cuts are on a weekly basis I noe expect come 9 months down the road that Naton hospital will be full of new borns can you imagine thai people without a television for over 3 days I myself lost over a 1000 baht in meat from my defrosted freezer the soi dogs must have thought they were in heaven !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually the facebook site has some really interesting photos.

Including this!

R

Flip flops and used motorbike tubes are OK but why the guy on the right put a helmet??

well the put up those concrete posts recently by the looks of it so you never know if they stay up Edited by retell

Including this!

R

Flip flops and used motorbike tubes are OK but why the guy on the right put a helmet??

well the put up those posts recently by the looks of it so you never know if the stay up

sure maybe this guy gets some trouble for posting those pics of gov. property on FB

Including this!

R

Very nice however the damage was done to cable on the seabed and these guys are not wearing snorkels and flippers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Somebody here said that they had seen the damage and the part affected was actually buried on the shore . . .

R

2 hours electric for cooking ? laundry ? get water from the well

they sure forgot how to use charcoal like they still do in most of thailand or does most cooking not happen on gas for those resorts?

laundry can do with your hands and a bucket also ,surely dont need a dryer

and attach a rope to the bucket and haul up some water from the well like that

Yeah, right.

"Dear Valued Guest.

We would like to welcome you to this delightful tropical paradise resort and thank you for the 30,000 baht you've paid into our account.

You'll find that your room has been equipped with a box of matches and a big bag of charcoal for when you want that candle-light dinner.

There is also a top-quality length of fine hemp rope if you need to wash - just attach it to the bucket handle (the well has it's own bucket and it's just over there).

A laundry service is constantly available - just use the tin-on-a-string to call reception and we'll supply you with your own personal flat rock to whack your clothes against,

prior to slinging them on the roof of your hut to dry.

We wish you a pleasant and truly rustic Natural stay,

The Management."

With minor changes, it sounds like the same message that could have been sent to visiors to New York City in August 2009 when power went off in the eastern US for 2 days that affected 55 million people and directly caused 11 deaths. Shit happens and things break!

• Like 2

Including this!

R

Very nice however the damage was done to cable on the seabed and these guys are not wearing snorkels and flippers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No it wasn't on the sea bed,

it was between the sea and the power distribution station.

But this is still a wet sand situation and not dry land.

• Like 1

Power came back at the beach area of Maenam at around 10 am today. A Back-up generator has been parked in area and connected to the grid. Seems like they unplugged the grid and replugged slowly. Part of Maenam did not have the scheduled two hour power slot last midnight, whilst other parts got stable power from just after midnight.

Heard from a nomally reliable source, that all power shall be up and running now - or at least restored today.

Ultimately the PM was responsible. She has to take responsibility, or she cannot call herself a leader. Certainly the governor of surat province should be immediately removed from his job. Immediately. He showed tremendous incompetence. The central govt. should have gotten the military involved after 24 hours. Once they realized the 12 year old boys running the power authority had no means of making the repair, they should have treated this like the national crisis this was, and done anything possible to get it fixed within hours, not days. Just one more black eye on the face of thailand. Just one more piece of evidence that regardless of the face they like to put on it, thailand is deeply mired within the 3rd world, and the infrastructure here is not what they want us to believe. Coming just before the peak season, the timing was poor.

• Like 1

Dunno what your all complaining about been living over in krabi for the last 5 years no electric in the day and we run generator a night only small genny so no air-con

What do you need electric in the daytime for anyway?

Errrr ... the Thai daytime soaps are better? All seriousness aside, I have to congratulate you for being an electron (or two) up on the estimated 22% of people worldwide (1 1/2 billion) that don't have any electricity:

http://www.whatnewsshouldbe.org/front-page-news/electricity-still-missing-for-22-of-humanity

How did you manage that?

Ultimately the PM was responsible. She has to take responsibility, or she cannot call herself a leader. Certainly the governor of surat province should be immediately removed from his job. Immediately. He showed tremendous incompetence. The central govt. should have gotten the military involved after 24 hours. Once they realized the 12 year old boys running the power authority had no means of making the repair, they should have treated this like the national crisis this was, and done anything possible to get it fixed within hours, not days. Just one more black eye on the face of thailand. Just one more piece of evidence that regardless of the face they like to put on it, thailand is deeply mired within the 3rd world, and the infrastructure here is not what they want us to believe. Coming just before the peak season, the timing was poor.

Just go home when you can't handle the country jerk.gif

• Like 1