Abhisit, Suthep: Death Before Amnesty Bill, No Compromises To Whitewash Thaksin

webfact

MURDER CHARGES

Abhisit, Suthep: death before amnesty bill

The Nation

30195798-01_big.jpg

Democrats say they will never make compromises to whitewash Thaksin

BANGKOK: -- Former prime minister Abhisit Vejjajiva and former deputy PM Suthep Thaugsuban said yesterday that they were ready to accept their fate in relation to the murder charges levelled against them, but said they would never make compromises and let amnesty be provided to former PM Thaksin Shinawatra.

Abhisit and Suthep told the press that the charges they face had been motivated by efforts to push them into whitewashing Thaksin via an amnesty bill.

The Democrats held a press conference immediately after a Department of Special Investigation official, Pol Captain Piya Raksakul, visited the party headquarters to hand over summonses for Abhisit and Suthep to officially acknowledge the charges on Wednesday.

The DSI, in a meeting with the police and the public prosecutor on Thursday, decided that Abhisit, as then-prime minister, and Suthep, then-director of the Centre for Resolution of the Emergency Situation, would be charged as per Articles 59, 83, 84 and 288 of the Penal Code. This decision was based on a recent court ruling that taxi driver Phan Kamkong had been shot dead by military personnel during the crackdown on the 2010 anti-government protest.

Suthep said he expected the charges levelled against him and Abhisit because DSI chief Tarit Pengdith had been speaking to the press about this move for a while now. Suthep said he had told Tarit on Thursday that he and Abhisit were ready to meet investigators to acknowledge their charges and prove their innocence in court. Abhisit also said that he was not surprised by the DSI's move.

"I'm not surprised by what happened, because since early this year, signals had been sent to me and Suthep - both directly and indirectly - to check on our stance on the government's plan to push through the amnesty bill," Abhisit said. "I have always stood by my belief that the rule of law must prevail."

Abhisit noted that Tarit's statement on Thursday matched earlier comments made by Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung, so obviously any legal actions taken against him and Suthep had been planned beforehand.

"I hereby affirm that I will not negotiate for anybody's interest. I insist that wrongdoers must be brought to justice and will fight the case based on facts. I will not join the process to absolve people who cheated the country. I'll accept my fate even if the judicial process lands me in jail or gets me executed, but I will not whitewash the wrongdoings of cheaters," the opposition leader said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-12-08

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope Abhisit and Suthep are true to their word on this. I do worry though if this case was really followed through and pushed forward and they had their day in court, whether when push came to shove and it looked like incredibly they might end up in gaol whether the goal posts would be shifted.

Its a worrying sign that seemingly every 'impartial' agency has done a complete about turn since the new Government came in, and I suspect that this would run through the judicial system as well. I have no doubt that although Thaksin was/is as guilty as hell on his charges, there was a political element to the prosecution as well- I just hope that the judicial system do their job fairly and on the merits of the cases whatever the outcome may be. I am sure we are not party to much of the evidence they may have at their disposal so really there is no choice but to put your trust in them, however worrying that may be.

".... This decision was based on a recent court ruling that taxi driver Phan Kamkong had been shot dead by military personnel during the crackdown on the 2010 anti-government protest. ...."

Does anybody have a link, please, to the details of this ruling, and is there any appeal in the works?

I hope Abhisit and Suthep are true to their word on this. I do worry though if this case was really followed through and pushed forward and they had their day in court, whether when push came to shove and it looked like incredibly they might end up in gaol whether the goal posts would be shifted.

Its a worrying sign that seemingly every 'impartial' agency has done a complete about turn since the new Government came in, and I suspect that this would run through the judicial system as well. I have no doubt that although Thaksin was/is as guilty as hell on his charges, there was a political element to the prosecution as well- I just hope that the judicial system do their job fairly and on the merits of the cases whatever the outcome may be. I am sure we are not party to much of the evidence they may have at their disposal so really there is no choice but to put your trust in them, however worrying that may be.

Impartiality is like a YOYO in all Society,s

"I'm not surprised by what happened, because since early this year, signals had been sent to me and Suthep - both directly and indirectly - to check on our stance on the government's plan to push through the amnesty bill," Abhisit said. "I have always stood by my belief that the rule of law must prevail."
"I'm not surprised by what happened, because since early this year, signals had been sent to me and Suthep - both directly and indirectly - to check on our stance on the government's plan to push through the amnesty bill," Abhisit said. "I have always stood by my belief that the rule of law must prevail."[/color]]
This is what it´s all about. Edited by Skywalker69

What ever the out come of this saga gentlemen , Thailand's reputation , such as it is, will be sorely tested and tarnished , in the eye's of all good governments world wide, any amnesty will be the ruin of Thailand's justice system ,as every lawyer in town will plead an amnesty for their client ,based on the Thaksin fiascobah.gif

'Twill be interesting to see just how this scenario pans out,

I have a feeling that it will backfire on the current maladministration as they may well find that their own leadership are going to be in the spotlight and then the dock.

All the pomposity emanating from the PTP concerning the ICC could well indeed be the Achilles heel of this proposed murder charge against Abhisit.

The current members of this maladministration would do well to remember that they in the future may well find themselves charged with offences under the very system they wish to employ to further Thaksins and their own political and financial ends.

Big T wants to be the Marcos of Thailand

Thaksin and his family and their brown nosing acolytes have much higher dynastic aims than that social level

Abhisit, Suthep: death before amnesty bill

drama queen

Thaksin: convicted criminal on the run.

Pussy

hope you didnt dislocate your knee just now

A dislocated knee is not nearly as bad as a dislocated set of moral values.

Don't you think their stance is admirable?

Good to see Abhisit and Suthep are manning up to Thaksins machinations. Unlike Thaksins reaction when he was in jeopardy of facing the similar accusations.

Thaksin, a former billionaire businessman, distanced himself Thursday from direct involvement in any political movement.

He insisted he is not advising members of the United Front for Democracy Against Dictatorship (UDD), the formal name for the Red Shirts, who enjoy wide support among Thailand’s rural poor and working class.

“I don’t know them,” he said." http://www.thestar.c...laxes-and-waits

Edited by waza
  • Like 2

seems about right

Whitewash Thaksin for all his crimes including 2500 deaths during his war on drugs

but hang and lynch Abhisit for the death of one taxi driver ...

This is PTP Gov't on action

Soon Thailand will change its name to Shinawatraland

• Like 2