1800B-4000B Fares From Phuket International Airport To Beach Towns.

NomadJoe

I have noticed a disturbing trend lately. We have had several guests over the last few weeks pay 1800B for a trip from the airport to Kata, and one paid 4000B. One guest reported being shown a map by a woman in the airport with the area fares on it, with 1800B for Kata. Currently the "normal" price of a "limos" to do this is supposed to be 750B. In a Bangkok metered taxi this distance would be 225B (+ 100B airport surcharge) for the 45km journey (35B first 3km, 5B each km after) .

We are also having booked guests diverted to a "tour booth" outside the airport where they are told the driver does not know where our hotel is located, or claims that the area or our hotel is "no good" and insist the passenger book another place of the tour operators choosing and pay an additional fare to get the commission making driver to take them there! This has happened to guests using both the shared van and the 750B "limousine".

It's gotten so bad that we have resorted to photographing every taxi that arrives in order to be able to report these instances to authorities. We have had to re-do our "Maps" page with instructions and warnings while trying not to make Phuket sound like a dodgy place to visit.

Where does this insanity end? Has anyone else experienced this?

From the Us Embassy Website:

In Phuket, threats of violence may accompany excessive charges. Tuk-tuk and taxi drivers there have been described in media reports as being a “mafia.” They have organized against attempts to provide alternative services. For instance, they have blockaded van and bus services during U.S. Navy ship visits.

http://travel.state....al_circumstance

Edited by NomadJoe

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

NJ, are all the desks and companies quoting and getting these extortionate rates, or is it one in particular? Do your guests have the ability to ask different companies their prices?

I don't really know the answer to the first question. I can say that when I passed through from international a couple weeks ago, I saw the 750B limo price and the 150B van price pretty clearly displayed. As for the second question, there are only 2 "limo" companies and their official prices are the same as one another as far as I know.

We try as much as possible to arrange pickups for anyone arriving by air but there are always a few people that think we are trying to rip them off. They soon learn.

But I have not experienced the same as NomadJoe.

I was staying at Surin Beach and was quoted 1300 baht for pick up by the hotel. All the signs coming out of baggage claim for the private taxis showed 550 baht to Surin Beach. I probably could have got it for less than that with a public taxi.

It surprises me that people still get caught out by some of these scams. There is so much information and so many warnings.

We try as much as possible to arrange pickups for anyone arriving by air but there are always a few people that think we are trying to rip them off. They soon learn.

I was staying at Surin Beach and was quoted 1300 baht for pick up by the hotel. All the signs coming out of baggage claim for the private taxis showed 550 baht to Surin Beach. I probably could have got it for less than that with a public taxi.

It surprises me that people still get caught out by some of these scams. There is so much information and so many warnings.

Can you honestly say that when you arrive at a foreign countries airport you have predetermined a fair price for taxi's? I don't.

Can you honestly say that when you arrive at a foreign countries airport you have predetermined a fair price for taxi's? I don't.

Yes.

My giuests don't have this experience. I also clearly inform them about prices to pay, and there are big, big signs with the official prices.

So sorry, if people still get caught out there is no helping them.

Yes.

You are in a very, very small minority.

My giuests don't have this experience. I also clearly inform them about prices to pay, and there are big, big signs with the official prices.

Where are the big big signs? I had to walk up to a counter and look on the countertop to find a laminated paper with prices on it.

Where are the big big signs? I had to walk up to a counter and look on the countertop to find a laminated paper with prices on it.

When I walked out of domestic baggage claim, I saw many signs hanging from desks that you could clearly read from a distance. That includes the first desk outside. If you miss them, you've got your eyes closed.

When I walked out of domestic baggage claim, I saw many signs hanging from desks that you could clearly read from a distance. That includes the first desk outside. If you miss them, you've got your eyes closed.

I came through international last time, a few weeks ago. Maybe it's different. Been a while since I came in through domestic, and I don't remember.

Plus there are signs on the pillars in the hall a bit further one, right in front of the Marriott Vacation Club e.g.

Not an excuse for anything happening here, but after arriving in NYC I had the same problem, with a pre booked shared minivan driver telling me he didn't know where my hotel was and asking more money in the end because the hotel was far away.

The same scams are operated all over the world, the only difference is we read about them here now in stead of in the LP, which also means the feedback is much more instant.

Not an excuse for anything happening here, but after arriving in NYC I had the same problem, with a pre booked shared minivan driver telling me he didn't know where my hotel was and asking more money in the end because the hotel was far away.

The same scams are operated all over the world, the only difference is we read about them here now in stead of in the LP, which also means the feedback is much more instant.

There is a difference between NYC and Phuket. See the below definition. Influential people "collude" on Phuket to set out of line prices for transport here. In general, that does not happen in other "world class tourist destinations." :) :)

Collusion is an agreement between two or more persons, sometimes illegal and therefore secretive, to limit open competition by deceiving, misleading, or defrauding others of their legal rights, or to obtain an objective forbidden by law typically by defrauding or gaining an unfair advantage.[citati

Edited by NamKangMan

There is a difference between NYC and Phuket. See the below definition. Influential people "collude" on Phuket to set out of line prices for transport here. In general, that does not happen in other "world class tourist destinations." smile.pngsmile.png

Collusion is an agreement between two or more persons, sometimes illegal and therefore secretive, to limit open competition by deceiving, misleading, or defrauding others of their legal rights, or to obtain an objective forbidden by law typically by defrauding or gaining an unfair advantage.[citati

It's the same to the arrival: locals are trying to overcharge.

"We have had several guests over the last few weeks pay 1800B for a trip from the airport to Kata, and one paid 4000B."

I'm sorry, that I have to say this, but it is obvious:

You guests don't have a clue about the chosen destination Phuket!

And going somewhere, totally unprepared, leaves big chances, to get scammed!

A simple "Taxi Phuket Airport to Kata" question for google gives all they need.

In case, they contacted you in forehand, they didn't get the needed info from you, too!

Let's call it experience, very valuable!

"We have had several guests over the last few weeks pay 1800B for a trip from the airport to Kata, and one paid 4000B."

In case, they contacted you in forehand, they didn't get the needed info from you, too!

So charging tourists several times the standard fare is OK if they didn't do their homework then? I am a little surprised you feel that way.

• Like 1

So charging tourists several times the standard fare is OK if they didn't do their homework then? I am a little surprised you feel that way.

Joe, it's a sad fact of anywhere in the world. Any newbie tourist, anywhere in the world is prey for the vultures.

Answer is - be less of a newbie and research your destination. Google is a true friend. Wish I had that many years ago when I traveled extensively to new places.

Joe, it's a sad fact of anywhere in the world. Any newbie tourist, anywhere in the world is prey for the vultures.

Answer is - be less of a newbie and research your destination. Google is a true friend. Wish I had that many years ago when I traveled extensively to new places.

No amount of Googling is going to save you from being taken to a "tour desk" where are you told that since they don't know where your hotel is, your given the hard sale and are told that you need to re-book a different hotel, and also must pay an additional fee to the driver to take you there. I've heard that one twice in the last couple weeks and as you can see from that PW article, we aren't the only ones this is happening too. We are getting no shows and I am certain that this is the cause of some of them.

But I agree, more information needs to be given to the guests before they arrive and we are working on that. It means changing the info on our website as well as that at the half dozen booking websites we use.

• Like 1

No amount of Googling is going to save you from being taken to a "tour desk" where are you told that since they don't know where your hotel is, your given the hard sale and are told that you need to re-book a different hotel, and also must pay an additional fee to the driver to take you there. I've heard that one twice in the last couple weeks and as you can see from that PW article, we aren't the only ones this is happening too. We are getting no shows and I am certain that this is the cause of some of them.

You know, I just don't buy that tour desk thing. Does that tourist not have a contact phone number ? Is that tourist a complete idiot ? They have a firm booking, with reservation information. Ok, I accept that the average newbie is here for a good time holiday and does not want any aggro - and the best of luck to them if they take that position.

• Like 1