Entering Thai Script In Dos, Text Mode?

Replogle

I recall opening an account with a bank some time ago, whereby the account manager was entering Thai letters on an older computer with a green monochrome CRT, probably running DOS. Can anyone tell me whether these systems are using a modifyed ROM character set where each Thai letter combination is represented by a 8x14 pixel bitmap (address F600:0000)?

Thank you.

I like to write a simple Thai-only programming language which incorporates a text editor, compiler and virtual machine, written in ANSI C with a few non-standard calls to the video controller and whatnot. It'll boot as a stand-alone operating system in text mode, with read and writes to the disk uses a FAT12 file system. Nothing fancy, no graphics, just good old-fashioned 0xb800:0000 text mode. Want to use this exact character set. Is it available somewhere?

Edited by Replogle

How long ago is "some time ago"? I mean, I love MS-DOS 6.22 as much as the next man, but at some point I really did have to let it go. For linguistic purposes, I am quite happy with Ubuntu, which supports the Khmer, Lao, and Thai input that I need. (Not sure about Burmese, but if not yet, relatively soon I'm sure...)

I'd like to have the freedom to port code to microcontrollers with minimal everything i.e. 16K RAM 16K ROM Character LCD, using an 8051, Atmel. Linux is a no go. Sure I'll find what I need soon enough if I dig around a bit.

Thank You!