Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

Electricity On The Islands.

Rooo

20 hours ago, TheLobster said:

Yep off 08:30, looks like it will be all day. Powercut for an hour overnight as well.

Respectfully, with all the posts that you have on this thread, why don't you move?

I have good power in Mae Nam, and I know that there is good power in other parts of the island.

Why do you put up with such terrible service?

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Respectfully, with all the posts that you have on this thread, why don't you move?

I have good power in Mae Nam, and I know that there is good power in other parts of the island.

Maenam was worse than Bang Rak before, but a few years ago a new underwater supply cable was brought into Maenam, and now being close to the island's main transformer station, Maenam has become a lot better. Upgrade work on the hi-voltage power-lines is ongoing in various parts of Samui, causing both planned power cuts, and unfortunately also some unplanned ones when a system is overloaded; i.e. for example fuses that falls at a transformer. That's also a problem still in certain areas of Maenam, until they manage to both upgrade the size of transformers, and wires; it doesn't help with a bigger transformer if the wires got hot and physically burn over, which I've often seen at a particular spot in Maenam for more than 10 years...

On ‎19‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 1:14 AM, Samui Bodoh said:

On ‎18‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 2:29 PM, TheLobster said:

Yes that happened. It was also switched off from 12:30 - 17:30 yesterday without notice. Friends report power outs in other areas on the East side of the island yesterday as well.

I tend to find a fraction of the actual electricity issues are reported here on the forums.

11 hours ago, TheLobster said:

I tend to find a fraction of the actual electricity issues are reported here on the forums.

You mean it is not enough to report problems to PEA, they should all be reported here as well?

13 hours ago, lom said:

You mean it is not enough to report problems to PEA, they should all be reported here as well?

Wow! I didn't realise the PEA publish reports of all the issues they have on Samui, please let me know where I can find that?

On ‎19‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 1:14 AM, Samui Bodoh said:

I personally don't believe that anyone has a reliable electricity supply on Samui.

If I'm going to stay then the best option is to get a decent generator, if I was to move I'd go to Bangkok rather than anywhere else on Samui.

BTW another power cut this evening 7pm

3 hours ago, TheLobster said:

I personally don't believe that anyone has a reliable electricity supply on Samui.

If I'm going to stay then the best option is to get a decent generator, if I was to move I'd go to Bangkok rather than anywhere else on Samui.

There really is nothing more to say when someone expresses a personal belief of facts, so I will just wish you well and hope your situation improves.

While my situation was similar to what you have posted several years ago, in the last 3-4 years things have greatly improved. In 2017, outside of maintenance days, I have had a total of about 2-3 hours without power. It has been nice.

Cheers and good luck!

11 hours ago, TheLobster said:

Some of us don't choose destination because of electric power supply, so the beautiful sandy beaches of Bangkok with stable mains power is not an option – think of all those saying that Samui was so amazing great in old time, when generators gave limited unstable power between 6pm and 9pm only – the nice beaches are still here, and the power supply has really improved; especially during the last few years, just one remember to invest in UPS for sensitive electronics...:smile:

If I want to choose a destination due to stability of mains power supply, I'll just stay in my bitterly cold home-country, as the three major Cloud-suppliers are building the Worlds biggest storage centers there due to uninterrupted power supply, so they don't even need generators for back-up...:whistling:

8 hours ago, TheLobster said:

Leaving would be a last resort, I love it here (normally). I'm just very, very, PEAssed Off.

Perhaps get the wife to go see  or phone PEA HQ and ask what's going on in your present area....  and ask them to fix it once and for all...

It's no longer the "norm" for power going out as it does in your area...:whistling:...

On ‎23‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 1:24 AM, samuijimmy said:

Perhaps get the wife to go see  or phone PEA HQ and ask what's going on in your present area....  and ask them to fix it once and for all...

It's no longer the "norm" for power going out as it does in your area...:whistling:...

Thank you Jim, I would also like to take the owner of the property, who manages about 20 properties here with me and the guy who runs Big C on the main road as they are having the same problems. Shouldn't be too difficult for the guy from Big C as the PEA office is just downstairs :wink:

8 hours ago, TheLobster said:

Thank you Jim, I would also like to take the owner of the property, who manages about 20 properties here with me and the guy who runs Big C on the main road as they are having the same problems. Shouldn't be too difficult for the guy from Big C as the PEA office is just downstairs :wink:

Good luck!!!

On ‎27‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 6:57 AM, PoorSucker said:

Two days ago I went to pay my electric bill at the PEA shop, BigC.

They could not process my bill because they had no electric, oh the irony.

On reflection there is complete denial on this forum of any issues with the electric supply on Samui but you've posted that you've been to the PEA office and couldn't pay your bill because of a ..... Power Cut !

Oh the irony :wink:

1 hour ago, TheLobster said:

On reflection there is complete denial on this forum of any issues with the electric supply on Samui but you've posted that you've been to the PEA office and couldn't pay your bill because of a ..... Power Cut !

I follow this thread to know about power cuts on Koh Samui, which seem to be the main issue; so seem like you missed a lot of the posts...:smile:

7 hours ago, TheLobster said:

No ones in denial as far as i can see.  The electric situation has improved over recent years but is still nowhere near where it should be and appears substandard to elsewhere in Thailand.  Generators still sell well on Samui.

In short its better but still not good enough.

18 hours ago, khunPer said:

I follow this thread to know about power cuts on Koh Samui, which seem to be the main issue; so seem like you missed a lot of the posts...:smile:

I don't think I missed them, I think they were mine :wink:

12 hours ago, carmine said:

No ones in denial as far as i can see.  The electric situation has improved over recent years but is still nowhere near where it should be and appears substandard to elsewhere in Thailand.  Generators still sell well on Samui.

In short its better but still not good enough.

Agreed but for some reason mine has gone to pot, having previously been okay. Seems like BigC and the PEA office there are in the same boat.

I have just realised that I haven't received an electricity bill this month, maybe the PEA are too embarrassed to send one?

• 1 month later...

Power cut at the weekend for 2 hours overnight and at BigC when we visited the other day.

Today we had an all day outage, presumably for works or tree cutting. Not notified by the owner who doesn't seem to give a hoot about his residents but fortunately by our local laundry shop.

• 8 months later...

On 5/28/2018 at 1:55 PM, PoorSucker said:

It's better with announcements like this, who's interested in power outages years ago. 

I disagree, it is better that we keep this in one place so that people can get a fair idea about the electricity supply on the island. Isolated posts of incidents get buried which is what business owners on Samui want.

So I have just arrived back on Samui and within 3 hours we had a power cut .... 2 hours. My neighbours say it has happened in the previous 2 days as well.

12 hours ago, TheLobster said:

I disagree, it is better that we keep this in one place...

I agree with @TheLobster, especially if the "Electricity on the islands" could be a pinned thread.

And Samui-power is not only about power cuts, but also about grid stability, where some areas – like Maenam – have noticeable deviations in voltage, which in some cases can be damaging for electric equipment connected to the grid.

For example yesterday, and probably all night, we had rapid voltage deviations between 130 volt AC up to 300 volt AC, however shifting between the three phases, so if for example L1 was about 130 volt, L2 or L3 would be around 300 volt, rapidly changing from somewhere around 250 volt to around 130 volt, sometimes 10 times or more a minute. The Electric Department said they had stability problem in Maenam and Bo Phut and was working on it. Today it's better with deviations of only some 10 volt, which is "normal". Yesterday I switched off all pumps and aircons, even they are protected by hi/lo voltage relays, of which one managed to die before I switched off – an aircon would be working between 3 seconds and up to two minutes, then off five minutes – and also UPSes for PC's and TV's etc. needed to be switched off, as they were constantly clicked off/on and draining the batteries. Electric Department came early this morning to fix it – it was the whole neighborhood, so probably a transformer? –however today all my water-heaters are dead, hopefully internal reset-switches only...?; otherwise I have a choice between plague and cholera: Hot water and no evenings out for the next several month...?, or evenings out and shower in cold water only...?

wIMG_5419_voltage-deviation.jpg.689af311ee3311eba2459b2078466f5e.jpg

The hi/lo voltage protectors are set +/-18 (not sure if volt or percent), one phase is "under voltage" cut, whilst another is "over voltage" cut.

It's not first time we have had problem like that, some years ago one of the houses here got all aircons killed, and the electric gate motor and control box burned in beautiful special effects flames with lots of black smoke.

Advice: If your Samui-power-supply goes crazy, kill the master switch.?

Archived