Electricity On The Islands.

Rooo

When in Samui, I see them working on the electric lines alot lately. There have been about 5 blackouts in the past 6 weeks or so, and most of the time they last all day. Yesterday, electric supply to most of Chaweng Noi and parts of Lamai were out from 7am to 4pm! Is this regular maintenance, an upgrade to the service, that might result in more consistent electrical supply, or just repairs? Anyone know? To call this annoying is an understatement, especially when Samui residents were promised a more stable system when they brought in that new underwater cable some time ago.

When in Samui, I see them working on the electric lines alot lately. There have been about 5 blackouts in the past 6 weeks or so, and most of the time they last all day. Yesterday, electric supply to most of Chaweng Noi and parts of Lamai were out from 7am to 4pm! Is this regular maintenance, an upgrade to the service, that might result in more consistent electrical supply, or just repairs? Anyone know? To call this annoying is an understatement, especially when Samui residents were promised a more stable system when they brought in that new underwater cable some time ago.

Well, when was the last time anyone believed a promise like this!

There is an ongoing history of the Provincial Electricity Authority losing face, then saving it again by making bold claims and assertions.

Samui now has 4 underwater cables. The 3rd of these closed down the island for around ten days while it was being installed in 2006, and the boast back then was that it would take care of the needs of the island for another ten years.

This cable exploded in December (?) 2012 bringing this island to another standstill as blackouts and power cuts were rotated around.

The newest and 4th cable - working in March 2013 - had the capacity of adding another 120MW - bringing the overall total on Samui to 290MW, and the deputy governor of the Provincial Electricity Authority once again - guessing at ten years cos it's a nice round number - said that “it will be able to produce 200MW of electricity - meeting demand in both islands for at least 10 years." * (It actually added another 120MW - bringing the overall total on Samui to 290MW.)

There's a basic flaw in all of this thinking. And it is that nobody actually researched increasing numbers, they just made a guess. Back in 2006 there were an estimated 20,000 rooms on Samui. But the rooms have increased at the rate of approx 3,500 a year, since then**, something which nobody in the electricity department had the ability to imagine.

​I haven't seen any reasons stated for the last couple of weeks of power cuts ("maintenance"?) so can only suppose that - even with almost enough power now getting to Samui - it's because all this electricity is now hanging about in midair on thousands of frayed cables which are tied up with string and joined by bits of tape.

And when it rains, it blows.

R

* http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/618622-power-cables-to-samui-pha-ngan/

** http://www.berkeleyinvestment.com/Newsletters/Newsletter%20May06.pdf.

Edited by robsamui

One thing that is happening now is that the electric company is stringing lines on the new (giant) poles that they have been putting in from the transformer station in Pang Kha to the other side of the island. I am sure that they are turning off the power when they change over each section to be on the new lines. This happens during work hours on days with no wind and no rain, unlike most prior outages. It will probably go on for several years. This is not to say that there are not other problems happening also. I used to be spared frequent outages due to my location, now they are frequent, but usually back again in a couple of hours. Definitely should unplug computers whenever you leave the house! Maybe even the UPS.

• Like 2

One thing that is happening now is that the electric company is stringing lines on the new (giant) poles that they have been putting in from the transformer station in Pang Kha to the other side of the island. I am sure that they are turning off the power when they change over each section to be on the new lines. This happens during work hours on days with no wind and no rain, unlike most prior outages. It will probably go on for several years. This is not to say that there are not other problems happening also. I used to be spared frequent outages due to my location, now they are frequent, but usually back again in a couple of hours. Definitely should unplug computers whenever you leave the house! Maybe even the UPS.

Two outages in a row. One week apart. One lasted 7 hours, and the second one lasted 9 hours. Feels a bit like living in West Africa, or Belize.

Two outages in a row. One week apart. One lasted 7 hours, and the second one lasted 9 hours. Feels a bit like living in West Africa, or Belize.

and Thailand should be on that list also, apparently. w00t.gif

Hardly any power cut in Nathon area this whole year smile.png . But then, we don´t have fancy shopping malls, hundreds of villas with air condition and pools, or dozens of huge hotels, hundreds of restaurants ...

But most lights out at 9/10PM sad.png .

"Two outages in a row. One week apart. One lasted 7 hours, and the second one lasted 9 hours. Feels a bit like living in West Africa, or Belize."

I do understand your frustration, but the two events that you quote are fairly rare these day. (In Plai Laem anyway.)

The first was planned maintenance. This happens everywhere in the world. As Islandguy stated, on Samui, this is for the upgraded increased supply. It is ongoing and will continue until complete. Unfortunately, no one is giving a completion date.

The second is storm damage. Again - happens all over the world where there are violent storms (Bermuda this week!) - especially in Thailand. Unfortunately, nothing here will ever change. Storms happen, Trees/branches fall and power is interrupted. Thailand has a policy of not putting power lines underground. (Flooding/electricity do not mix.)

These two types of outage are not unique to Samui.

Of course, none of this helps if you cannot take a shower, flush the toilet or wash your hands etc. It is still a major pain in the asss.

I do not know about Bellize, but the countries that I have visited in Africa would be dead chuffed to have a power supply like Samui's.

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Like 2

A few days ago during power outage in bangrak I rang pea call center and was told she'd ring mtce man about problem. ...can I take it that basically it's a wait and see when it comes to trying to get info re duration etc??

Approx 12.45. Just heard an almighty bang, and felt the shock wave near Seatran Pier, Bangrak and the power went. maybe a transformer blown.

power out in Bangrak when I drove through about 2 pm.

Also a motorbike down and backed up traffic.

Guys working on the power lines near Replay.

Edited by Tropicalevo

• 3 months later...

Preventative maintenance? thumbsup.gif Between Maenam and Ban Por yesterday, there were many tree trimming crews removing branches away for the power lines along the ring road...

One would hope they will continue on around the island... wink.png As for my area of Maenam, I think has been only one half hour outage in many months! Things have improved...

Nathon%2520Samui-2801.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

We have just had a notice that the government will be carrying out maintenance on the power lines in our area tomorrow. facepalm.gif

No electricity from 8.30 to 16.00. angry.gif

This is at the pointy end ot Samui - it may only be Soi 7 in Plai Laem.

Ohwell - might as well take a day off! thumbsup.gif

• 1 month later...

Just talked to someone on Soi 5 Maenam, who has had several outages....

Mine has been fine except for a few seconds of beeps on the battery backup... (UPC or is it UPS?)...

Lots of falling branches....probably causing problems in some areas ...wink.png

Power off from 0500 to 1330 here in Hua Thanon so I imagine Lamai also today Wed,15 April

Again no power from 1400 to 1500 and then again 1600 to 1900 while Mae Nam, Ban Rak, Chaweng and Lamai were unaffected. Main problem as I see it, the average Thai (90%) have no idea what electricity is. Just ask them and they pronounce it "electric city" so imagine the efficiency of the so called technicians in charge of Samui's power supply just never enters their minds to provide advance warnings of what happened and how long it will take, Thai arrogance and customer service is non existent and Hua Thanon residents deserve it because of " their living in an up country province of Koh Samui Duuuuhhhh!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Apparently they were clearing trees branches from lines in some areas, so I was told, .... but outages seem to vary around Maenam, Soi 4 south of lights (past Temple) were on all day... mine near Soi 7 where off around 8.15 am but were on when I got home around 4.30, for others it was close to 5.30 pm before coming back on....

I suppose preventive maintenance is good...... whistling.gif