F1: Ecclestone Gives Bangkok Grand Prix The Green Light

webfact

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder why all these news stories say a site has been chosen doesn't give any confirmation on even the general area beyond saying it will be in Bangkok. Maybe they are worried about somebody capitalizing on empty buildings or something like that along the route or something before those in the know can.

Maybe they have to draw by lot, first?

More good news for Thailand on the international stage but what a sad representation of foreigners here to another positive news story for Thailand with 80% of the posts so far expressing feeling of inferiority through negative posts and/or faux superiority responses.

I agree Nisa, it will be great for Thailand - however, living in Bangkok I dread the road construction changes that will have to take place before 2015.... it's already pretty poor when even taking the motorway it can take you 2 hours to get from one side to the other....

Now there's an amusing idea! Can we have the race on/off the motorways? Should be spectactular then!

• Like 1

I used to live in downtown long beach ca and we had a grand prix every year there in april, it's a big noisy overcrowded mess every year.. if you don't have tickets to one of the granstands they set up (and most people who go don't) or a condo balcony that overlooks the track, I wouldn't go, it's just..way too many people in a small area. Another nice thing they do every year in long beach is they block off this section of the city, then just to get into that section, you have to buy a 'ticket' but the ticket does not enable you to actually watch the race, no-you just get to pay $20 buks for the privilege of entering this large public area which is now a racing zone, even if you do pay you won't get to see much, just an incredible racket every time the cars race by.. and race car driving is actually pretty dam_n boring to watch anyways, the cars rarly pass each other and when they do i guess your supposed to get all excited about it, like an interception in the NFL, well I don't, it's just XXXXX boring.

Edited by metisdead

This British billionaire comes in and sucks up money from the locals and spits out air and noise pollution. He did this recently in Texas and even got $25+ million of government tax money from the politicians.

http://www.statesman...or_events.html/

The only way I would go to see one of his races is if they stretch him out as a speed bump in the first lap.

Would not be a very big speed bump.........................................................

That aspect of it is not that big of deal, the streets in longbeach ca are not any better than bangkok roads in that area, and it's on a weekend so the traffic to get into 'old bangkok' where the race is held will not inconvenience the rest of the city, you just won't be able to drive into that kaosarn tourist area on that weekend, and the only thing happening there that weekend is the race.. only problem is auto racing is boring and noisy

I'd love to see this go ahead, but I can't see the track being prepared properly for a start, and (depending on the location) the major traffic problems it will cause throughout the rest of BKK will be even more of a nightmare.

Someone was going to build a new City, of course that was before 2006........... Another fairly new F1 venue the race track was built way out and the City built around it............. Don't they say BKK is sinking? so maybe make a race track and a new Bangkok around it ?

Anyway we will see later, the track will have to be approved before a Race, well long before, so whatever happens will be a lot of work

Thailand do not deserve and F1 race

People here are non responsive to large sporting events

Futsal games were poorly attended

ROC last weekend was poorly attended

Give the race to a city where people care

But I guess that is the last of Ecclestones concerns

Money, mmoney, money?

Jb1

Someone was going to build a new City, of course that was before 2006........... Another fairly new F1 venue the race track was built way out and the City built around it............. Don't they say BKK is sinking? so maybe make a race track and a new Bangkok around it ?

Anyway we will see later, the track will have to be approved before a Race, well long before, so whatever happens will be a lot of work

With regards to your comment about being approved, I agree by the way, but does it not also have to have a record of holding races of a certain standard as well, I'm not sure, I'm asking if I am right.

I would like to see the F1 in BKK but feel that there might just be too many essential requirements that would not be addressed fully to allow approval. A more likely idea would be a custom built track outside the city but I don't think people appreciate how much that would actually cost

All I. Can say is well done Bangers?

Maybe. You could let, Kayalami,, Watkins Glen, Monza, Paul Ricard Spa Francochamp, Brands Hatch, Imaloa, + of course Silverstone +others kow where they all went wrong, as they have all been excluded, or threatened with exclusion from the F1 calenda.

Jb1

Now there's an amusing idea! Can we have the race on/off the motorways? Should be spectactular then!

Might actually be something to consider. What about the raised highway over by the new immigration offices? They could race on the upper and lower parts using those big u-turn ramps to complete the circuit. It would only take up half the space and they could use all those cement columns from the highway they never completed to make raised seating. You could have spectators on the bottom and top. wink.png

I was joking of course but can't help but wonder if it is doable. I never pay attention when I am going through that area but wonder if they have those u-turn lanes in both directions at a distance to make a proper circuit. If F1 would go along that would probably be a hugely viewed race on TV as people wait to see not just a crash but if a car will go off the raised highway.

It's a preposterous thought to consider a legitimate F1 race in Bangkok and then to beat the band, at night! If you read the entire WSJ article it mentions that a demonstration was held in Bangkok in 2010 sponsored by - you guessed it - Red Bull. Not coincidentally, the proposed F1 race is cosponsored by the owners of Red Bull and Singha Beer , the joint owners of the Thailand Ferrari dealer Cavallino Motors.

When there is big money behind promoting a venue, F1 and Bernie Eccelstone have nothing to lose by accepting the Thai commitment money. We wonder if the hit and run killing of the Bangkok police officer three months ago by the Ferrari was an additional "demonstration" of the Ferrari's agility and handling while dragging that copper's body through the streets of Bangkok. Very ironic turn here as we continue to wait for further or any news on the warrant for that driver's arrest on numerous charges as reported in this newspaper.

You will just have to wait as he will be in the celebrity race for sure !

I can remember how many buildings had structural damage as direct result of the piling work to get the track ready when Melbourne "won" the right to pour endless streams of money into F1 - I don't think the building codes here in Thailand would be on a par with Australia.

The race, should it happen, won't affect me in Chiang Mai, but I worked in South Melbourne for the first few years of the race, and it was absolute torture getting to and from work and going anywhere that required parking for 2 weeks either side of the race. I hear it's a bit better now, partly because they have accepted that not as many people as were expected to actually do go and the road closures are more realistic.

Not my idea of fun, but for those who enjoy seeing such things, if Thailand can safely host such an event, I hope you get it.

• Like 1

"championship-winner Red Bull Racing carried out a demonstration run through the streets of the nation's capital"

Was that by any chance the demonstration by the red bull owner's son on sukhumvit soi 53 at 5.30 am a few months ago?

Yes in co-operation with Ferrari

Edited by oldsailor35

My mind boggles as to where these roads are. The suspension on a F1 car is not meant for bumps. When the F1 drivers talk of "bumps" they are referring to 100m undulations. Please can somebody tell me a route that won't require complete rebuilding. Please bear in mind that these races need to showcase the city so will need to include a number of major tourist sites and the business district.

The most talked about area would be Rajdamnoen Avenue where supposedly 100.000 people went out to see Mark Weber drive his car on the streets of Bangkok.

And, as we see, no guard rails needed! The spectators are totally save without!

...not forgetting, that Mr. Webber was driving 80 km/h tops and we might see speed up to 300 km/h and safety zones AND the fact that NOT a strip of road in Bangkok is good enough for F1- racing (as some dreamers here suggest)...why am I bothering...it is just plain <deleted>!

Will they use the same safety barriers for the race ?

No local interest; just look at the race of WHO? Nobody went.

Why is the gov wasting more money?

1.Image

2.Image

3.No private money (I mean, politice not use politicians money)!

60% of the 27 Million US$ is the share of the Thai government,

Hey Noob------------------- How do you get your "?" upside down?------ I've tried with the monitor on its head and then turned the keyboard upside down------ nothing works ?-------- Dougal