F1: Ecclestone Gives Bangkok Grand Prix The Green Light

webfact

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll believe it when I see it.

Never having been to a F1 race, I would like to watch it (if it happens) without inane commentators & 'short breaks' every 10 minutes.

Wonder who will benefit from the scams that surround all projects here? Rhetorical question.

Perhaps a city governing clique closely associated to the democrat party ??

I'll believe it when I see it.

Never having been to a F1 race, I would like to watch it (if it happens) without inane commentators & 'short breaks' every 10 minutes.

Wonder who will benefit from the scams that surround all projects here? Rhetorical question.

Perhaps a city governing clique closely associated to the democrat party ??

It's a preposterous thought to consider a legitimate F1 race in Bangkok and then to beat the band, at night! If you read the entire WSJ article it mentions that a demonstration was held in Bangkok in 2010 sponsored by - you guessed it - Red Bull. Not coincidentally, the proposed F1 race is cosponsored by the owners of Red Bull and Singha Beer , the joint owners of the Thailand Ferrari dealer Cavallino Motors.

When there is big money behind promoting a venue, F1 and Bernie Eccelstone have nothing to lose by accepting the Thai commitment money. We wonder if the hit and run killing of the Bangkok police officer three months ago by the Ferrari was an additional "demonstration" of the Ferrari's agility and handling while dragging that copper's body through the streets of Bangkok. Very ironic turn here as we continue to wait for further or any news on the warrant for that driver's arrest on numerous charges as reported in this newspaper.

What is the relevance of the tragic event that claimed a police officer's life to the very positive announcement of a planned F1 race in Bangkok? There is no irony; the Ferrari F1 team is not involved in the manufacture of the same company's road cars and Ferrari was in no way involved in that accident in the same way that Honda ( for example) was not involved or responsible for an accident a Civic had near Onnut. And if you're suggesting that Ferrari should feel embarrased about continuing in F1 racing because one of their road cars was involved in a fatal accident, why would that be? There are other teams whose road cars have been involved in fatal accidents but nobody's shouting about those, eg. Lotus, Mercedes, Caterham.

• Like 2

My mind boggles as to where these roads are. The suspension on a F1 car is not meant for bumps. When the F1 drivers talk of "bumps" they are referring to 100m undulations. Please can somebody tell me a route that won't require complete rebuilding. Please bear in mind that these races need to showcase the city so will need to include a number of major tourist sites and the business district.

It is no surprise that Bernie is heading East. The West is becoming a more discerning customer by the day. Every £,$ and Euro is spent carefully in pursuit of enjoyment. http://es.pn/YmE2Z6 shows why the races are moving away from Europe. It looks like Bernie needs to gamble.

He has Singapore, Sepang, Shanghai, Yeongam, Suzuka and Buddh yet still the revenues aren't as high as they were 10-20 years ago. Reduced sponsorship opportunities due to regulations on tobacco sponsorship coupled with people in the West pursuing more "interactive" free-time experiences has led to shrinking attendance figures in the West. He NEEDS to make these races work. Maybe he will be paying towards the needed improvements just to make this work. After all, where else has he left to turn in the region? Taiwan won't happen whilst he wants the Shanghai race and the other countries are further behind in infrastructure than Thailand. It seems to me he has little choice but to make this work....and soon.

I don't think any car, F1 of not, can cope with the 100 meter (miles?) undulations you refer to!

"championship-winner Red Bull Racing carried out a demonstration run through the streets of the nation's capital"

Was that by any chance the demonstration by the red bull owner's son on sukhumvit soi 53 at 5.30 am a few months ago?

Yes in co-operation with Ferrari

I realise that these remarks are tongue-in-cheek, but you do know that there is no connection between the Red Bull team and Ferrari F1 team, don't you?

No local interest; just look at the race of WHO? Nobody went.

Why is the gov wasting more money?

1.Image

2.Image

3.No private money (I mean, politice not use politicians money)!

60% of the 27 Million US$ is the share of the Thai government,

Hey Noob------------------- How do you get your "?" upside down?------ I've tried with the monitor on its head and then turned the keyboard upside down------ nothing works ?-------- Dougal

Either fly to Australia or to Norway.

Write what you wanna see upside down.

Fly to the other location and check it out!

/bɹo˙ʇxǝʇdıןɟ˙ʍʍʍ//:dʇʇɥ

Tired, turning your monitor? GOOGLE upsidedown, bro!

I thought this idea pretty much died when the Red Bull heir killed that policeman?

Maybe it got reborn? In that second, the driver got established, the financial things have been cut and dried??

Edited by noob7

A night race in Bangkok!

So the cars will have headlights?whistling.gif

They'll have to have headlights and fog lights! Wonder how many people in Thailand have actually seen fog?

Lots of people in LoS have seen fog! Every day, you can see them, after the foggy part of their voyage, b/c they forgot to switch off the fog lights

Edited by noob7

To all the posters here, all the experts here who said it could never happen, it will never happen, ,how do you feel now ?

Oh...I thought, it was planned for 2015...and I still feel the same: it will not happen!

Government tells Bernie they want to hold a race. Bernie gives a list of things that need to be done. The list is read (doubtful) and some time later Bernie is told yep, no problem. Bernie pencils in a Thai race for 2015. Money is spent (changes hands) and 2 years down the line Bernie sends over a few experts who find that close to nothing has been done. No race in Thailand and life goes on. Same same.

This is the correct answer. I'll be shocked if it doesn't happen exactly as said here by notmyself.

It's a preposterous thought to consider a legitimate F1 race in Bangkok and then to beat the band, at night! If you read the entire WSJ article it mentions that a demonstration was held in Bangkok in 2010 sponsored by - you guessed it - Red Bull. Not coincidentally, the proposed F1 race is cosponsored by the owners of Red Bull and Singha Beer , the joint owners of the Thailand Ferrari dealer Cavallino Motors.

When there is big money behind promoting a venue, F1 and Bernie Eccelstone have nothing to lose by accepting the Thai commitment money. We wonder if the hit and run killing of the Bangkok police officer three months ago by the Ferrari was an additional "demonstration" of the Ferrari's agility and handling while dragging that copper's body through the streets of Bangkok. Very ironic turn here as we continue to wait for further or any news on the warrant for that driver's arrest on numerous charges as reported in this newspaper.

What is the relevance of the tragic event that claimed a police officer's life to the very positive announcement of a planned F1 race in Bangkok? There is no irony; the Ferrari F1 team is not involved in the manufacture of the same company's road cars and Ferrari was in no way involved in that accident in the same way that Honda ( for example) was not involved or responsible for an accident a Civic had near Onnut. And if you're suggesting that Ferrari should feel embarrased about continuing in F1 racing because one of their road cars was involved in a fatal accident, why would that be? There are other teams whose road cars have been involved in fatal accidents but nobody's shouting about those, eg. Lotus, Mercedes, Caterham.

How many of the drivers ran away, who's company name is linked to F1 though?

Great for Bangkok and Thailand.

More tourists, more $$$, more international credibility and probably the only people on the planet against it are the nay sayers on TV.........

I wouldn't say I am against it, I am just wary of the government's ability to pull this off at all, never mind successfully. I imagine I am not the only one that would love to see an international sporting event such as an F1 race held in Bangkok (although a night race around the temples in Ayudhya would be way cooler IMHO), but the years here have, with good reason, made me cynical.

If indeed F1 quality roads, spectator seating and facilities, infrastructure, and provisions for the traffic disruption are all over come, I will be the first to whole heartedly congratulate the government as I enjoy the sight of F1 cars whizzing by. But well, you know, this is Thailand. Better not to get prematurely excited.

You may think the idea of two dozen high powered F1 cars screaming around the ancient temples of Ayuttaya is, as you put it, "way cool'.

However, as much as I love F1 racing, I hardly think the Thai fine arts department and other concerned bodies would sanction such an event. Somehow Buddhism and the relative calm of that area don't quite gel with Formula 1 events.

The Thai fine arts department would be as happy as any other to have their coffers filled. And when has maintaining relative calm been a priority anyone in Thailand, including temples? Thailand is the noise pollution capital of SEA!

I think it's a great idea but how many years is Thailand capable of staging it? How long before the greed takes over? And as previously mentioned, recently the sports bodies here have had an embarrassing time trying to prepare and meet deadlines. Formula isn't just a sport, it's a very lucrative business that makes billions, I fear even the smallest of hiccups would lose this event forever and that's a shame 'cos I for one would love to see it happen.

All I. Can say is well done Bangers?

Maybe. You could let, Kayalami,, Watkins Glen, Monza, Paul Ricard Spa Francochamp, Brands Hatch, Imaloa, + of course Silverstone +others kow where they all went wrong, as they have all been excluded, or threatened with exclusion from the F1 calenda.

Jb1

Jimbeam1

Not sure of your point, Bernie owns Paul Ricard…….

He also intends to take F1 back there soon

Maybe he will use Bangkok's money to bring it up to his standards.

jb1

Edited by jimbeam1

I understand that negotiations are at an early stage with the Safety car situation! It will be deployed at least 3 times, only it wont be a safety car it will a loudspeaker vanbiggrin.png

Also talk of allowing doubly parking in the pit lane, this F1 but not as we know it!

There isn't a single stretch of street in Bangkok smooth and leveled enough for an F1 car. So where could such a track be?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect App

Do you think the streets of Singapore were fit for a F1 car before they decided to race there?

I can't believe all the negative f*&%wits on here, you are like vultures circling waiting for a carcase to pick at, pathetic! It's not your money or your country so why get so bent out of shape about it? Embrace it and enjoy it!

I for one am confident it will go ahead, and knowing Thailand - it will be a spectacle to put their neighbours in the shade, cant be outdone by Singapore or Malaysia now can we!!

Bring it on!!!

PS: i have noted all the names of the naysayers and i am going to come back here in 2015 after the race and ridicule you!!w00t.gif

• Like 2

Wow this is great news surely. Lets be positive for a change, way too much negativity here. Look forward to this in 2015 and hope it turns out as an annual event thereafter. Well done Thailand in securing this deal now lets make sure it works effectively and efficiently. A good tip is to ensure Thailand employs many falangs who are experts in this field and not try as normal to do it themselves without hardly any of the needed skills yet learned.

There isn't a single stretch of street in Bangkok smooth and leveled enough for an F1 car. So where could such a track be?

Do you think the streets of Singapore were fit for a F1 car before they decided to race there?

I can't believe all the negative f*&%wits on here, you are like vultures circling waiting for a carcase to pick at, pathetic! It's not your money or your country so why get so bent out of shape about it? Embrace it and enjoy it!

I for one am confident it will go ahead, and knowing Thailand - it will be a spectacle to put their neighbours in the shade, cant be outdone by Singapore or Malaysia now can we!!

Bring it on!!!

PS: i have noted all the names of the naysayers and i am going to come back here in 2015 after the race and ridicule you!!w00t.gif

The roads in Singapore weren't fit for a race, and needed adjustments, but if you've ever been to Singapore you will know that comparing average road condition of Singapore with Bangkok is like comparing oranges with lemons. Edited by jbrain
  • Like 1

Bring it on!!!

The roads in Singapore weren't fit for a race, and needed adjustments, but if you've ever been to Singapore you will know that comparing average road condition of Singapore with Bangkok is like comparing oranges with lemons.

Indeed, Singapore has a superb road network and it is well maintained, unlike BKK. Traffic is getting a lot worse there nowadays though.

Great news for BKK but a sad day for Thailand if this is going to allow the Red Bull cop killer to go free as I suspect.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Thaivisa Connect App

Bring it on!!!

Bring it on!!!

We'll be here waiting for you, so we can say "We told you so."

• Like 1

My mind boggles as to where these roads are. The suspension on a F1 car is not meant for bumps. When the F1 drivers talk of "bumps" they are referring to 100m undulations. Please can somebody tell me a route that won't require complete rebuilding. Please bear in mind that these races need to showcase the city so will need to include a number of major tourist sites and the business district.

The most talked about area would be Rajdamnoen Avenue where supposedly 100.000 people went out to see Mark Weber drive his car on the streets of Bangkok.

And, as we see, no guard rails needed! The spectators are totally save without!

...not forgetting, that Mr. Webber was driving 80 km/h tops and we might see speed up to 300 km/h and safety zones AND the fact that NOT a strip of road in Bangkok is good enough for F1- racing (as some dreamers here suggest)...why am I bothering...it is just plain <deleted>!

Obviously you have never seen a F1 race and some of the places they race. Now lets look at just 2 very small F1 tracks, Adelaide South Australia and now Melbourne in OZ. Adelaide track was in the city streets with concrete barriers the same as Melbourne and patch work where needed on the road surface. Not to mention the Indy car races at Surfers Paradise in OZ where the roads there are stuffed but patched for the event. So the bottom line is, if Bernie said there will be races in the City of Angels, there will be races. Tooo much CASH for the Thai's to let run through their fingers.

Will the drivers be obliged to wait for the green light? Will all pit-stops be directed by a man in a plastic reflective waistcoat with a whistle?

All this is irrelevant as continually waved red flags signify the race, practice or qualifying session are suspended. If the red flag situation can't be stopped then the race is abandoned.

• Like 1