Urgent Wake-Up Call For Koh Samui

webfact

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remove the airport, do a clean sweep of island businesses, homes and rid the island of unsavory, illegal and insightly stuff or risk losing tourism business and property values. The boat trip is quite ok and you can bring your car for god's sakes, but lets tax that(add island fee 500 Baht per vehicle which goes towards road maintenance). Its time that quality overtake quantity on Samui.

Sorry, but quality is a non word in Samui vocabulary

You are obviously speaking for yourself - I have no problem with quality. I have quality staff and we provide a quality service (but of course - we could always improve).

There are many others out that that I know of as well. I come across quality every day from both Thai and farangs. My glasses are not rose-tinted either. I have been in the service industry for over 40 years - trust me, I do know quality when I see it.

Mind you - there are also a lot of poor quality services out there - but they tend not to last too long wai.gif

• Like 2

this urgent call come from the mayor of Samui for 16 years up to 4 years ago, in which even holes in the roads were not being taken care of. Where 100% of the money went all these 16 years?

But probably he knows how to run the many hotels and lands he got.

As his wife is running for mayor one should guess the rest.

• Like 1

And where in the 50 million the government said they where giving samui after the black out?

Well you me and the rest of thailand knows it is already gone into the pockets of the corrupt at the expence of those to whom it was suposed to asist.

Gossip

this urgent call come from the mayor of Samui for 16 years up to 4 years ago, in which even holes in the roads were not being taken care of. Where 100% of the money went all these 16 years?

So - please bear with me and see if I have this right.

The previous administration - that pretty well did buuggger all to improve things here (but great roads in Surat) - is saying that Samui needs to sort it's <deleted> out. jerk.gif

The last mayor has done more for this island than anyone else in my 12 years here. clap2.gif

The opposing candidate to the last (good) guy is the wife of the previous waster. sad.png

This is better than watching the telly. w00t.gif

Or have i got it wrong?

The previous administration - that pretty well did buuggger all to improve things here (but great roads in Surat) - is saying that Samui needs to sort it's <deleted> out. jerk.gif

The last mayor has done more for this island than anyone else in my 12 years here. clap2.gif

The opposing candidate to the last (good) guy is the wife of the previous waster. sad.png

Or have i got it wrong?

That sums it up nicely...

Back on the island next week, I do wonder which section of forrest will have been chopped down for yet another farang house to be built, so i would like to see the zonal idea progressed.

Sorry - but you are not up on the facts.

Far more forest is cut down in National Parks and wilderness areas for Thai resorts and 'rich men's palaces' than on Samui.

Do they cut down teak trees on Samui? I don't think so. However, teak smuggling is rife across Thailand. Please let us keep thinks in perspective.

Mind you - I only cut down one coconut tree to build my houses (and I planted four more) but it does upset me when I see people clearing land - just to make it look nice to sell.

However, in the scheme of things - the Red Palm Weevil is doing far more damage than developers or farangs and I have not seen many Thais trying to eradicate the weevils. (It is expensive! 100 baht per tree per month.)

I am not sure if any of these are teak trees, but if one wanders around the jungle here, you can come across what were once very large trees...

Obviously there long before the coconut groves were planted....

IMG_7072.JPG

sort of reminds me of the wet coast of British Columbia wink.png

IMG_7098.JPG

Remove the airport, do a clean sweep of island businesses, homes and rid the island of unsavory, illegal and insightly stuff or risk losing tourism business and property values. The boat trip is quite ok and you can bring your car for god's sakes, but lets tax that(add island fee 500 Baht per vehicle which goes towards road maintenance). Its time that quality overtake quantity on Samui.

Are you posting this for a bet?
  • Like 1

So, 10 billion in revenue and 500 million in taxes. Hmmm, 5% tax rate.

Probably 10 billion in GROSS revenue (total sales value) and 500 million in taxes on nett earnings after expenses. Even at a 20% tax rate, that would indicate a 25% nett profit, which is far higher than western tourism centres generate.

sounds positive now they know how to deal with the problem there is no exxcuse to not make it work

i like spliting the island into finacial and resident areas. makes sense ar to protect people buying land next to a black moon party

also not sure what is meant about foeigner setting up business to buy houses and land. i think it is suggested to make it easier for forangs in tourist areas. which makes sense and would save a fortune in taxes for business and trying to sell from fornag comopany to fornag company is a nightmare

people still buy these places and buy land anyway it is creates more ghost houses when they cannot be sold due to people being put off by the selling proceedure.

Not everyone is married to a Thai which means that forang couples and familys have to pay allot each month in business tax just to won a house.

Malayasia you get a free 7 year visa with your house if u buy. but not good for me as i like Thailand.

If Thailand is split up into place were forangs can and connot buy land this shall stop thai worries that forangs shall buy out thailand.

They have a system in Cyprus where land is designated for forigners. More expensive than for locals.

However for Thailand I think it is better that farangs cannot buy. If they changed the rules then a 1 million baht house would go up to 5 + million.

There are so many better places in Thailand and beyond to spend your holidays than the corrupt, over-built Koh Samui -

Obviously you have not seen much of Samui, to make a silly statement like that... tongue.png

Look at images on this link and you'll see why....

http://www.thaivisa....o/page__st__225

I have seen a lot of Samui, and it's not a silly statement.

Overbuilt is an understatement. If I want to see concrete, I can stay home.

Anyone can take a pretty picture of anywhere, but it doesn't mean it's actually nice there.

sounds positive now they know how to deal with the problem there is no exxcuse to not make it work

i like spliting the island into finacial and resident areas. makes sense ar to protect people buying land next to a black moon party

also not sure what is meant about foeigner setting up business to buy houses and land. i think it is suggested to make it easier for forangs in tourist areas. which makes sense and would save a fortune in taxes for business and trying to sell from fornag comopany to fornag company is a nightmare

people still buy these places and buy land anyway it is creates more ghost houses when they cannot be sold due to people being put off by the selling proceedure.

Not everyone is married to a Thai which means that forang couples and familys have to pay allot each month in business tax just to won a house.

Malayasia you get a free 7 year visa with your house if u buy. but not good for me as i like Thailand.

If Thailand is split up into place were forangs can and connot buy land this shall stop thai worries that forangs shall buy out thailand.

They have a system in Cyprus where land is designated for forigners. More expensive than for locals.

However for Thailand I think it is better that farangs cannot buy. If they changed the rules then a 1 million baht house would go up to 5 + million.

Thailand, IMO, is very sensible to prevent foreigners buying land. Land in my home country is unaffordable because rich foreigners buy land and drive the price up.

Thailand, IMO, is very sensible to prevent foreigners buying land. Land in my home country is unaffordable because rich foreigners buy land and drive the price up.

But Thailand doesn't prevent foreigners buying land.

There are so many better places in Thailand and beyond to spend your holidays than the corrupt, over-built Koh Samui -

Obviously you have not seen much of Samui, to make a silly statement like that... tongue.png

Anyone can take a pretty picture of anywhere, but it doesn't mean it's actually nice there.

Another nonsensical post.

There are huge areas of the island with no developement and don't say i'm wrong because i am not

Another nonsensical post.

There are huge areas of the island with no developement and don't say i'm wrong because i am not

You are correct, but I can't stay there as there is no development, ergo no accomodation.

Samui used to be a great beach destination in the early 90's, then they ruined it with uncontrolled, environmentally destructive overbuilding in tourist areas. Just look at Chaweng- horrid concrete everywhere ( and I'm not wrong about that ).

• Like 1

well you stay in your concrete jungle, and keep your self ignorant .... you've not been been around Samui..... plainly obvious ....

Or have i got it wrong?

My wife just got 3000 reasons to go vote.

This is in Ban Thai my wife just received 4000 to vote for no1 there is someone else coming this afternoon with a promise of 2000 to vote for the other so I told her to take all the money.

You can thank John 1, his wife, and all the other takers for this!