A New, Cheap And Excellent Thai Rum On Market Now

jaideeguy

Glad you appreciated Uncle Tom......and agree that Bacardi is swill and that Mt Gay and Lemonheart is my favorite, but probably impossible to find over here. meanwhile, Unk Tom does the trick for me.

I hope that I haven't spoiled my supply of Uncle Tom by letting so many rummies know about it....

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always been a fan of rums and there are a few in Asia.....the premium aged Tanduay rums of the Philippines is world class and the old Thai 'Maekong' wiskey, shich is actually a rum to my taste was decent, but stopped producing.

There is a new Thai Rum on the market now that is quite good.....called 'Uncle Tom R'. It's a clear rum, which I normally don't like, but it's a full bodied, smooth rum with taste and aroma of molasses and according to the label made from sugar cane. The same company makes an Uncle tom V and G, which I wouldn't recomend. Best of all it's priced at 219thb per bottle.

So far, it's only available in Tesco and Big C. Check it out if you like rum.

Ooooooooweeeeeeeee! Uncle tom rum, that sho sounds like som mighty fine drinkin massa!

I wonder how they are getting on with exporting this product to the US....whistling.gif ....one suspects it will be as the export of "Darkie" toothpaste a few years back...biggrin.png

I wonder how "Black Cock" would do back in the US?tongue.png

The cream I saw in Tesco, called Pink Nipple, would fare well I think.

My personal favorite are Santa Teresa solera 1796, Ron Zacapa(any), English Harbour 5 yrs(tastes better than many longer aged rums)

For commercial rums Bacardi 8yr is surprisingly good on the rocks. With coke I like Havana 7 as the molasses taste really cuts through the sweetness

Edited by fish fingers

There is a shop on the corner 2nd road/Pattaya Klang that sells Stroh 80 Rum from Austria. The 80 is for the alcohol in %. Excellent taste. Try and stop bothering about soft drinks.

That stuff is lethal I had some a couple of yrs ago made the mistake of necking a shotglass of the stuff and couldnt talk for nearly 20 minutes as it was like drinkning anaesthetic and tasted like it as well and at around AU$60 for a 350ml bottle its well expensive .

Oops. Tariffs that high in Australia? I bought the .7 litre bottles in CZ for 18 Euros before they joined the EU.

try it and let me know what you think....my favorite way to drink it is a cocktail with a shot of rum, some orange juice and a bit of soda water.

Didn't mention that it comes in a square bottle with a brownish label.

Indeed dark rum and with OJ us a lovely mix.

Did you ever try the blue label sang som. It seems to have disappeared.

I drank half a bottle and had a serious bowel movement,very serious

Very serious as in not making it to the lavatory?

Jaidee did you say your Uncle Tom is clear?

Never enjoyed a clear rum though Mt Gay if I remember is amber.

It's really OK? Think I've been put off by Barfardi which I only find fit for stripping paint.

May get a bottle for a friend who buys at least a litre of black label a day, often two or three, for himself and his entourage when he visits. He drinks it with coke anyway and I gave him a regular sangsom and coke and I think he prefers it, as do I.

Edited by cheeryble

Hi OP....just treeeeid it..Dat was somefin....da last droop in da bottle wers da (hic) ....Bluddygud

Now can you tell me where to get a bottle of "Gentleman Jack" in thailand....Price no problem, but must be unopened and not half filled with rice wine crap....

would it be good for mojito? i been using mostly havana or malibu. would be nice for some alternative.

No, unfortunately it won't. A mojito should be made with light or white rum. Although I have not tasted it.

The description makes it sound like the mint in a mojito would not work well with this rum. If its anything like captain Morgan dark rum, the rum will overpower the mint. Trust me I have seen people try make a mojito with dark rum, not great.

Oh and I know he said its light but he also said it is stronger in flavour than normal light rums.

But go a head and try it, it's a free world. Just thought I might warn you.

700 ml and 40% and yes, the same company that makes 'black cock'. Don't be misled by the cheap price, as it is a winner over Bacardi or Capt morgan at 3X the price.

Well, if it compares with Capt Morgan, then i will give it a go as West Indies rum is the worlds best.

Haven`t seen Pussers around for ages,so this is my favourite nowadayssmile.png : http://therumhowlerb...rrel-proof-rum/

Pussers still available in UK & Australia, but very expensive. I believe it is owned by Jim Beam these days who bought the whole "kit & caboodle" when the RN stopped their daily

"Up Spirits" call

• Like 1

Has anyone tried the rum made at the Koh Samui distillery. I have and its really very good. They bring the sugar cane in from the mainland and after crushing the cane carry out a process on site. I am in my 70's now and been a rum drinker ever since i drew my first tot in the RN, i thoroughly recommend it !

Mehkong rum is still available, but is now marketed as a up market drink. I think it's something like 450 Baht for a bottle.

I wouldn't even drink it if it was 45 Baht.

I used to drink it when I came here in the early 1990s and it gavw me some wicked hangovers.

700 ml and 40% and yes, the same company that makes 'black cock'. Don't be misled by the cheap price, as it is a winner over Bacardi or Capt morgan at 3X the price.

I have been drinking the RED COCK (ham sedang) as i call it , for over a year now...around 130 bhat a 70 cl bottle at tesco or makro and big C...does the trick...white rum

I have been drinking the RED COCK (ham sedang) as i call it , for over a year now...around 130 bhat a 70 cl bottle at tesco or makro and big C...does the trick...white rum

Red cock is made from rice.............Rum you said?

They have those bottles at Tesco that cost 65 Baht with a blue label and are called White Spirit.No doubt you will find them also delicious. whistling.gif

Just bought a bottle of Uncle Tom R at Big C. It is really good. I don't know much about rum, but it tastes like butterscotch to me. Do they use additives and flavorings to get it to taste that way or is it really the molasses? Very smooth and excellent in a coke in any case. To my taste, much much better than Sangsom.

Here is the google translation from the distillers website:

Drinking liquor out of style (with the sea Caribbean) using molasses as raw material quality. Refined with a distillation column. Condensing temperature is 78 º c which is pure alcohol, which still has the smell and taste of onion is bagasse. Rum can be used instead of foreign redevelopment well. Rum to drink soft drinks are paired together with all kinds.

Uncle Tom R is suitable for mixing cocktails in the hotel restaurant, or the High-End is home to the guests at the reception.

Mehkong rum is still available, but is now marketed as a up market drink. I think it's something like 450 Baht for a bottle.

I used to drink it when I came here in the early 1990s and it gavw me some wicked hangovers.

I'm sure you will have experienced the pussed eye when waking up as well in those days.

I'm sure you will have experienced the pussed eye when waking up as well in those days.

It also targets and destroys specific areas of the brain so the user wakes up in the morning and is unable to perform a run-of-the-mill activity such as tying his shoe laces, choosing the correct light switch for the chosen light or remembering his partner's name....Lek, Nam....er,,erm.

Tesco also sells Bermuda xxx, an Indian rum. It is 40% alcohol and gets you pissed.

So does lighter fluid.

Ethanol

C2H5OH

Butane

C4H10

I would not recommend drinking liquified butane if I were you, my old black pudding.

You have to inhale it. Gasoline also works, can't recommend it though.

Yep, the nasty additives will get you every time!