Not All Premium Fuels Are The Same.

rene123

On a recent 2000 km road trip on a CBR 250 I noticed changes in fuel performance on basically the same, flat, level hwy A2 from Lampang to Ayutthaya. I filled up with premium 91 fuel after about every 100 km. I should have kept track of which stations I filled at, and my fuel consumption, but I was just in and out and back on the hwy. After riding at about 110 km/hr for an hour my butt usually needed a rest. The thing I noticed after a while is after filling up at certain stations my bike had a lot more zip than it had before. It was enough to catch my attention. The change in the highway or the wind conditions were not enough to make the change, so it had to be a change in the fuel. I know little or nothing about the performance of different fuels, but I always buy the most expensive. In this recent trip the cost for premium seemed to average about 43.5 baht / litre.

Does anyone else have a more logical explanation?

Hard to say, rene123.

I have always run 91 benzene in my CBR250 since my purchase August last year.

On road trips, I try to buy Shell 91 when available, but circumstances have dictated buying from Cosmos, PT, PTT, Pure, etc.

Haven't really noticed a difference in engine response from the various vendors.

Mind you I rarely do a straight line drone on Hwy 1- usually it is on and off the throttle, and often hard on the throttle, going to MHS, Doi Ang Khang, etc.

The bike has fuel injection with a CPU that reads various sensors, and adjusts engine firing (spark advance) and fuel mixture based on ambient temp, engine temp, engine load, gear selection, etc.

Perhaps after stopping and refueling, the engine cooled a bit, and perhaps you had a slightly crisper response when you continued on your journey....?

Thanks for the reply, mcgriffth. Like I said, I don't know that much about motors or how they adjust to various fuels. It won't change me from choosing the premium fuels and I don't even mind the cost. I was just curious.

You would be surprised how much wind can change your speeds or even a subtle change in the slope of the road. It might not appear noticeable but it is. I travel the same route when i go up country on my CBR, and there are certain sections where my top speed is low. the road looks like there is no slope but yet i can't achieve the speeds i was doing previously, yet on my way back its fine.

• Like 1

^ KRSpam1 I think, wrote that piece of excitement.

I use Caltex 95, usually the gasohol and sometimes the Benzine. As from all I hear Caltex is the best fuel for your engine. I've filled up with Pure, and everyother gas from every other station and not noticed anything of difference other than Engine Knock (detonation) with 91 Octane.