Gallant Bangkok Taxi Driver Says He'll Take Anybody Anywhere

webfact

Gallant taxi driver says he'll take anybody anywhere

By Coconuts Bangkok

taxi.jpeg

Photo: Facebook

BANGKOK: -- A Bangkok taxi driver has become an internet sensation after posting a sign in his window saying that he’ll take any passenger to any destination.

Anyone who has spent more than a few days in the Big Mango has had to deal with the soul-crushing situation of being rejected by several taxis while dodging traffic in oppressive heat.

Not with this guy.

A rough translation of his sign:

Come on in. We go everywhere. No need to ask.

This taxi does not refuse any passengers.

Thank you.

Read more: http://www.coconutsb...ybody-anywhere/

-- COCONUTS Bangkok 2012-12-21

footer_n.gif

• Like 2

Well Davey, your Bangkok world seems to be more perfect than mine. On a recent night about 9 PM I had experiences with 5 taxis. Two demanded 200 baht and no meter to go from Sathorn to Ekamai bus station. Two simply refused to go. The fifth said ok for the meter, there wasn't heavy traffic and the total was 70 baht.

The taxi police may have made a nice headline but had absolutely no positive effect in the real world.

• Like 2

Bangkok last month...

I'm in Saphan Kwai area

want to go to MBK.........

eight (8) taxi drivers said no.......

Two of them just drove away while I was still talking to them !!

I eventually got one driver to take me by waving a five hundred Baht note at him.

Well Davey, your Bangkok world seems to be more perfect than mine. On a recent night about 9 PM I had experiences with 5 taxis. Two demanded 200 baht and no meter to go from Sathorn to Ekamai bus station. Two simply refused to go. The fifth said ok for the meter, there wasn't heavy traffic and the total was 70 baht.

The taxi police may have made a nice headline but had absolutely no positive effect in the real world.

taxi drivers have sometimes suggested up to 10 times the fare for them to not switch the meter on. The problem is that 600THB is approximately $20 and sounds a good deal to a new tourist.

NEWS FLASH!

Person actually does the job he's paid to do, and puts up a sign!

thats why he put the sign in thai only.to prevent farang freezing sarcasm.but it did not work

My comment was actually regarding the newsworthiness of the article...

Are you familiar with the term "sarchasm"?

You might need this...

butt_hurt01.jpg

Edited by warfie

I think all of us who think of Thailand as home are angry. Taxi drivers bring shame to those of us who want to be proud of where we live. When the average Thai understands what national pride is, things will change, but that starts from the top down and with the schools. Well ... a massive campaign on TV could do the trick, but then again, those at the top need to understand what national pride is. Thailand is soooo far behind the other countries is Asia.

NEWS FLASH!

Person actually does the job he's paid to do, and puts up a sign!

If I come up with a sign: "I keep moral and ethic standards!" would that bring me in the news here too?

However, good to know the country is headed to become a hub of heroes now!

Edited by TackyToo
  • Like 1

I cannot seem to find a taxi that has a meter that works either, all broken, and a quote of 5x the meter rate , the taxi police are as effective as the safe zones.

Where do you live man? I'm taking cabs on a daily basis in Thailand and I never saw one with a broken meter!!!

I've lived here 2.5 years and never had a taxi driver refuse to switch the meter on. In fact I never even have to ask. The secret is to flag down taxis and not get in one that is just waiting outside a hotel or tourist attraction.

Speaking Thai usually helps too.

HaHa ...my wife is Thai and she is pretty good with the language. Sorry pal ... speaking Thai does not make a difference.
  • Like 1

I've lived here 2.5 years and never had a taxi driver refuse to switch the meter on. In fact I never even have to ask. The secret is to flag down taxis and not get in one that is just waiting outside a hotel or tourist attraction.

Speaking Thai usually helps too.

HaHa ...my wife is Thai and she is pretty good with the language. Sorry pal ... speaking Thai does not make a difference.

I beg to differ IMHO it differs a lot. It does not mean you wont get bad taxis just less.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect App

Two and a half years and never a refusal to either take you to your destination or use the meter is an unbelievable record in this town. You are most fortunate. The area may be of some import as my own personal experiences appear to dictate that the closer you are to the nightlife the more mafia minded the Taxi driver becomes. Last week at 11 pm I stood on Silom and watched as 8 taxi's pulled up and refused,first, two Thai ladies , a Chinese tourist and then myself. Two of the drivers would take me but no meter and they wanted 300 Baht to Saphan Kwai.

I also had recently a driver who said thet he would take me to Immegration at Chaengwattana and was not happy about a metered fare but relented, however when we arrived at the entrance which is at least two kilometers from the building he refused to go inside leaving me to find another bloddy taxi to complete my journey.

There are indeed many drivers who are courtrteous and reasonable however, the backbone of the city centre drivers,especially at night around tourist traps are scumbag mafai wanabees.

• Like 1

Give me his number, he can run me around next time if he likes, just because he is a good guy. Not many refuse me because time teaches us how to deal with the refusers, but guys like this are a golden gem.. what an awesome attitude to the customer, thanks unidentified taxi driver.. people like you certainly do make traveling in a taxi much easier, and happier :)

• Like 1

I applaud his foresight but why not have an English translation as well?

Probably because foreigners make something like 0.00001 % of the population.

Would you make a sign in Thai in your home country?

I applaud his foresight but why not have an English translation as well?

No because Thai is a single nation language whereas English is the first language of many nations and the second language for a multitude of other nations... You can't compare apples and oranges...

• Like 1

Do you really need to ask?

The question was rhetorical my bad for not making it clearer for you

Current population of Thailand just a tad under 70,000,000.

Taken from Richard Burrows site tourists for 2011 fraction over 19,000,000 which is almost 30% (fairly basic maths IMO)

A sarcastic reply would be Thailand is my home so the answer is yes. A constructive reply is simple. How many languages are spoken in the UK now? South London where I am from has signs in foreign languages in foreign owned shops to attract foreign customers. Economics 101.

No because Thai is a single nation language whereas English is the first language of many nations and the second language for a multitude of other nations... You can't compare apples and oranges...

richard_smith237 - Thank you you taking up the education required on the comments above. Whilst the General Forum is a constant source of entertainment for me it is also the one where people seem to take pleasure in non constructive and simple lack of thought posts simply to massage their ego's.......

You are very fortunate. I have had this problem every time I go into Bangkok. I had someone explain that I wanted to go to the US Embassy, they took me to a go-go club. Glad to see this driver do his job. I appreciate it.

Edited by stoli