Car Hire In Samui

JAS21

My friend and his wife, both from the UK, will be in Samui from the 7th to the 17th Jan. They want to hire a car from 10th to 17th. He is asking me should he arrange this in the UK or wait and sort it when they get to Samui.

I assume that it can be arranged in the UK via 'some large company' so as just to collect the car in Samui. I think that he will need and International Driving Licence (or permit). You used to be able to get them from the AA or transport Office.

Views/recommendations from you guys in Samui please. I'll have to find out where he is staying as I guess that would help.

Thanks ... guys

Your friend should get an international driving permit, but here a lot of people do not bother.

The most expensive place to get a car is at the airport. The second most expensive place is from the hotel. It depends where you are staying, but walk around for a bit and you should see a car for rent.

Edited by Tropicalevo

I can recommend a Thai lady, Ring 08 6596 9410. She has a range of cars from Jeeps up, and at reasonable prices. No international DL required. Her shop is in Bangrak, used to be in Chaweng. She always brings the bikes or cars to us, so haven't seen her new shop. Since Ring and her husband deliver, I would suggest a pick up and drop off at the airport, which would save on a couple of taxi fares. You might need to put a deposit, but I would recommend booking before arrival (with her or elsewhere) as it is high season and Samui is flat out at the moment.

actually the cheapest place to get a car is at the airport, avis is beating all the other companies when it comes to price.

This is not the case. just look around.

toyota vios at 850 baht per day, never found anything cheaper.

toyota vios at 850 baht per day, never found anything cheaper.

Suzuki carrebian for 700 on Chaweng beach road, wink.png

yeah but a carrebian is like an old yamaha nouvo....

no comfort and safety is totally absent....

not to mention the gasoline consumption :o

not to mention the gasoline consumption ohmy.png

But will take you anywhere for a cheap price.

If you are just using it for a holiday on the Island it's the way to go.

Please do not take your rented vios up into the interior of the Island. rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Please do not take your rented vios up into the interior of the Island. rolleyes.gif

Or even along the ghost road in the rain!whistling.gif

I can get a Suzuki Jeep (old) for 500 a day. By the way - was the Vios at 850 now? Or earlier in the year? What company at the airport? I looked and could not get one that cheap.

Insurance on the Vios? The 500 baht jeep is minimum full insurance! (If you hit a mercedes - expect to pay something.)

Or even along the ghost road in the rain!whistling.gif

I can get a Suzuki Jeep (old) for 500 a day. By the way - was the Vios at 850 now? Or earlier in the year? What company at the airport? I looked and could not get one that cheap.

Insurance on the Vios? The 500 baht jeep is minimum full insurance! (If you hit a mercedes - expect to pay something.)

we rented the vios(manual gear box) at many occasion in 2011/2012 and the price was always 850, of course they try a bit more but on the website(avis) you can often book it in advance at 620 baht per day(depends on availability), i always keep a copy of my previous rental with the price written on it.

insurance is first class but you'll have to pay 5K in case of damage, if you buy the damage blabla waiver the price is 1050 baht.

however we never rented the car in peak season, we used it to do a border bounce once every 90 days.

I can recommend a Thai lady, Ring 08 6596 9410. She has a range of cars from Jeeps up, and at reasonable prices. No international DL required. Her shop is in Bangrak, used to be in Chaweng. She always brings the bikes or cars to us, so haven't seen her new shop. Since Ring and her husband deliver, I would suggest a pick up and drop off at the airport, which would save on a couple of taxi fares. You might need to put a deposit, but I would recommend booking before arrival (with her or elsewhere) as it is high season and Samui is flat out at the moment.

My wife phoned her and had a little chat. Asked to see a copy of the contract ... said she would e-mail me one ...,never did... and yes I did check my spam box.