Thai-Cambodian Single Visa To Commence Thursday

Thai-Cambodian single visa to commence Thursday

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Starting Thursday, tourists from 35 countries could enter Thailand and Cambodia with single visa as foreign ministers of the two countries agreed on Wednesday.

Under the Acmecs single visa, tourists from Australia up to United States could apply entry visa at Thai or Cambodian embassies or consulate offices for two destinations.

The single visa would benefit for tourism industry in both Thailand and Cambodia, said Thai Foreign Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul.

He was speaking after jointly chaired the 8th Joint Commission with his Cambodia Counterpart Hor Namhong.

The Amecs single visa intially proposed four member countries including Laos, Myanmar and Vietnam to joint. If Thailand and Cambodia are successful, the remaining members would later joint, Surapong said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-12-26

The 35 nations eligible were selected due to their potential and track record of tourism to the region

Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bahrain, Canada, China, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, India, Japan, Korea, Kuwait, Luxemburg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Oman, Portugal, Qata, Spain, South Africa, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom and United States of America.

Source: http://www.destinationthai.com/index.php/single-acmecs-visa-test-run/

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This, combined with the new daily buses linking Bangkok to Siem Reap (Angkor Wat) and Phnom Penh is a step forward.

Well done.

No doubt the visa runners will be searching the possibilities of it making their visa running life a bit easier too. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Does it apply to the 30 day visa on arrival that we get when coming into Thailand?

No

Under the Acmecs single visa, tourists from Australia up to United States could apply entry visa at Thai or Cambodian embassies or consulate offices for two destinations.

It will not help border runners at all unless they have applied for a tourist visa for both countries.

This, combined with the new daily buses linking Bangkok to Siem Reap (Angkor Wat) and Phnom Penh is a step forward.

Well done.

No doubt the visa runners will be searching the possibilities of it making their visa running life a bit easier too. rolleyes.gif

Where does one find the info on this new bus service to Cambodia?

How nice for those entering on holiday. What about those of us who've paid for a one-year Thai visa? I'll bet we still have to apply for Cambodian visas.

Re the English in this report, you see what happens when the expat sub-editors are having their Christmas holiday.

Found this mentioning the eligible countries.

http://www.destinationthai.com/index.php/single-acmecs-visa-test-run/

On 27th December, a Single visa for Thailand – Cambodia is ready to launch at all countries Consulates and Embassies.

This trial is initially for Thailand and Cambodia and later on be expanded to other members of the 5 countries

Under the concept “Five Countries, One destination“ ACMECS Single Visa (Ayeyawady-ChaoPhraya-Mekhong Economic Cooperation Strategy).

The 35 nations eligible were selected due to their potential and track record of tourism to the region

Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bahrain, Canada, China, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, India, Japan, Korea, Kuwait, Luxemburg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Oman, Portugal, Qata, Spain, South Africa, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom and United States of America.

This pilot project finally starts after 7 years of planning

Visas you have now would not work for this new program.

We will just have to wait for more info to come out from the MFA as to how all this will work.

I suspect that it will only be offered in your home country and not from any of the nearby embassies or consulates.

So, ... I have a double entry Thai visa. I used the first entry to be here now. I am not sure how I will activate my second entry, but for the sake of discussion, suppose I want to go to Sihanoukville, Cambodia and back.

Do I still get stamped out of Thailand-into Cambodia-and back into Thailand, activating my second entry?

or would they just wave me through to Cambodia and back to Thailand all on the first visa (never activating the second entry).

Or would they stamp me out of Thailand, cancel the second visa as an entry to Cambodia, leaving me with no visa back to Thailand...

Or would they let the person choose to stay on the visa or activate the second.

There's a lot of ways this could work.

It sounds like a great idea, just not sure how it actually works.

Maybe it needs to be a special "Thai-Cambodia Visa" and the "Double Entry Thai Visa" I have isn't even an issue at all.

Exactly what went through my mind smile.png thanks for saving me the trouble of having to articulate it.

Having ducked out of the broader configuration including Malaysia, Vietnam etc, after several years of negotiations, citing concerns about loss of visa fees, Thailand was only left with Cambodia to do a deal with and went ahead to save face and appear to get something out of the failed negotiations. Most are the nationalities covered don't need a visa in advance for Thailand or Cambodia and won't need this visa. Chinese tourists seem to the on the list and they are the big issue as they still need visas for most ASEAN countries, although they have enough clout now to push for visa free travel.

Edited by Arkady

//post containing link to Bangkok Post removed

Please excuse my ignorance, it won't happen again. Sorry.

No problem thanks.smile.png

31) Bangkok Post do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post publications will be deleted from the forum. Please note that this is a decision by the Bangkok Post, not by Thaivisa.com and any complaints or other issues concerning this rule should be directed to them. Quotes from and links to Phuketwan are also not allowed and will also be removed. In special cases forum Administrators or the news team may use these sources.

• Like 1

So tourists can now travel to both countries with only one visa. Nice.

What about visa-runs. Is it still possible to walk over the bridge in Mae Sai, pay 500 Baht and get a new stamp?

If not Mae Sai will be deserted soon, I guess.

The border crossing at Mae Sai is into Burma, not Cambodia. I assume nothing will change for the Mae Sai visa runs.

Does it apply to the 30 day visa on arrival that we get when coming into Thailand?

I doubt it. How could Cambodia give up that cash cow?

It probably is not the deal it seems to be.

I'm a skeptic.

Cambodia doesn't give up their cash cow: You can apply online for a Combodian visa.........for Thailand this is still not possible.

Mcot reporting it as a MoU.

Thai-Cambodian meet touches on crucial issues

Share on facebookShare on printShare on twitterShare on googleMore Sharing Services2

By Digital Media | 26 ธ.ค. 2555 09:31 | 58 views | View Comment

BANGKOK, Dec 26 – Economic cooperation between Thailand and Cambodia along their common borders will be upgraded to emphasise road and railway construction, and opening more checkpoints, according to the Thai foreign ministry.

The resolution was made during the 8th Thai-Cambodian Joint Commission, held in Bangkok on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Thai Foreign Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul and his Cambodian counterpart Hor Namhong attended the meeting.

Sihasak Puangketkaew, permanent secretary for foreign affairs, said among the essential issues discussed were the opening of permanent checkpoints at Ban Nong Eiang in Sa Kaeo province linking Stung Bot in Cambodia’s Banteay Meanchey province, development of Route 48 from Thailand’s Trat province to Cambodia’s Sihanoukville, and a railway extension from the Aranyaprathet checkpoint on Thailand’s eastern border into Cambodia.

The Thai and Cambodian representatives agreed to a land survey for border demarcation, joint suppression of human trafficking and illegal logging of Siamese rosewood on the border, he said.

An MoU will be signed agreeing a single visa under the Ayeyawady-Chao Phraya-Mekong Economic Cooperation Strategy (ACMECS).

ACMECS is a cooperation framework among Thailand, Cambodia, Lao PDR, Myanmar and Vietnam to join member countries’ diverse strengths and to promote balanced development in the sub-region.

Deputy Prime Minister/Foreign Minister Surapong hosted a dinner function in honour of Mr Hor Namhong on Tuesday night.

The Thai-Cambodian Joint Commission which reconvenes after a two-year recess is a signal of an improved relationship between the two countries, the Thai foreign minister said. (MCOT online news)

Tourists from 35 countries can do so, but the article doen't say which countries.

Yes it did....

Source: http://www.destinati...-visa-test-run/

Well done.

No doubt the visa runners will be searching the possibilities of it making their visa running life a bit easier too. rolleyes.gif

Where does one find the info on this new bus service to Cambodia?

The search button or google.

Starts December 29th.

750b BKK - Siem Reap.

900b BKK- PP