Govt Warns Scammers As Thailand Is Named Top Destination

webfact

I love these so-called Thailand experts. Been here 2 maybe 3 years assume they are an authority on the place (most likely never seen a rice paddy), yet to leave the tourist areas and vacate their morning t'ill night bar stools, talking the same crap everyday, and still wondering why they get beaten at "4-in a-row" by some dumb h*oker (B'G). Never been further than the local 7-11 for their cheap grog. I say if you wish to comment/criticize the place GO VISIT the place first. There is more to Thailand than Bangkok, Phuket and Pattaya!!! Get a real Thai life.

Errr ! thanks for that, i never knew.

Boy! do we need more such knowledgeable persons as you to help and advise us !

• Like 1

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love these so-called Thailand experts. Been here 2 maybe 3 years assume they are an authority on the place (most likely never seen a rice paddy), yet to leave the tourist areas and vacate their morning t'ill night bar stools, talking the same crap everyday, and still wondering why they get beaten at "4-in a-row" by some dumb h*oker (B'G). Never been further than the local 7-11 for their cheap grog. I say if you wish to comment/criticize the place GO VISIT the place first. There is more to Thailand than Bangkok, Phuket and Pattaya!!! Get a real Thai life.

Ah the newbie knowall. I think you'll find a good selection of Farangs on TV that actually keep abreast of what is happening in Thailand and the cynicism is well justified by the quality of the government (& Phuket governor) and the corruption that they are involved in. The Op is a collection of empty words that we have heard time & time again.

Most long-stay Farangs know all about the scams & how to avoid them. First-time tourists probably don't. Some of the scams are so bad & prevalent that ambassadors have had to try & prompt some action. This is a fairly new activity but the reaction so far has been only rhetoric - like the article here.

By the way, I've lived here for 16 years & have visited most major towns & cities as well as the countryside. What about you?

WoW! a real ex-pat, can i have your autograph........please. rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

With a bit of imagination one can just picture the thai robber suddenly stopping and thinking "Just a minute, what I am doing is going to spoil Thailand,s appeal as a tourist destination. I,d better not do this" ! 55555 ! They know they will go unpunished as long as it is a farang they are ripping off, very sad.

Now in Hua Hin. What a wonderful change from Patong because;

- No touts

- Reasonable taxii/limousine & tuktuk access

- No price gouging

- No filth (both human and garbage)

- No Bib standing on the corner looking for Tea money

I was in Udon Thani last week. same thing. Wonderful experience. When we have gone out to the shopping plazas, I am a minority and I think it works in my favour. The lack of farangs circulating seems to have reduced the numbers of scum that associate with the farang presence. No sexy massage offers, no touts, no cops trying to entrap me into buying drugs, no visible hookers, no foreign yobs. There are thousands of foreign tourists in Hua Hin right now. Very well behaved.

Maybe the scams and thieving and ripoffs are a reflection from the quality of tourists that Phuket and Pattaya attract. How is it that Udon Thani, a place for lower income older foreigners has a much classier feel to it than the Kamala-Kata strip of Phuket? The same Germans and Scandanavians are in Hua Hin as in Phuket, but the difference is that these people are not skewed to the sex tourist and drink till you puke segment as in the areas with all the problems. Interesting enough that the Indians here are few but are visibly higher end, and I have not seen any middle easterners, or the English yobs of Phuket yet. My takeaway is that if I want a relaxing place with a minimum of hassles, is to pick a location where the quality of foreigners is better. I call this the Garbage- Vermin rule of life of Thailand.

You forgot to mention Hua Hin has no fun, its a shytehole with a very average beach. It has inflated prices because of the weekend expats coming down from BKK. I couldnt think of a worse place to reside in Thailand

That depends on your definition of fun. It does have an average beach but the sea is cleaner than Pattaya or Phuket & you don't risk having a limb ripped off by an idiot on a jetski. The weekend visitors are mainly Thais, not expats.

I live in Bangkok but Hua Hin would be my second choice when is has a few more Farang-friendly supermarkets like Foodland. Your 'shytehole' definition is more attributable to Pattaya & Phuket.

OMG No!! Hua Hin = Miami Beach to me.// ... spent 3 days there to get out of the Chiang Mai pollution last February and althoug the air was really so refreshing from Chiang Mai ....BUT... full of obnoxious foreigners, over priced on all levels and as I said totally Miami Beach style.... and it is growing ang growing with high rises popping up all over the place and umpteen construction sites all over the place .... traffic is already a bit of a nightmare and more so because of the overwhelming constructions .. Nope definitely not for me anyway ! And I can see it becoming as bad as Pattaya in a very short time ... there have already been foreigners murdered there in the past 8 months in similar Pattaya styles ... Which beach places will be 2 -3 years from now pleasant to go to ...??

Thailand needs to take serious steps in stopping crimes against tourists, otherwise its appeal as a great destination might fade.

Might fade? H-e-l-l-o!

Maybe.... it's possible, lots of tourists come to a destination because they want to get ripped off? Give me a break.

Pattaya, Phuket, Patpong have 4 things in common - budget price prostitutes, drug pushers, gun violence and road rage. Institutionalised corruption means the govt (local & central), police force, judiciary are all unlikely to want to change this downward spiral. Tourists must vote with their feet and go elsewhere given sooo many other safer, healthier choices on offer. A sharp drop in tourist numbers will have the impact of driving a lot of scum (from Phuket, Pattaya, Patpong) back to villages and 'Get Real' everyday lifestyles. Empty words from govt, police & judges should never be relied on. After all Thailand is very much a third world mindset.

Pattaya, Phuket, Patpong & next will be Hua Hin I can assure you that based on my stay there just a couple of months ago ... it is defintiely heading there and at a very fast pace that too .. Anyway to all of those "gun ho" on going and moving there let us know a year or so down the line how it is then, and by the way Goog Luck and a Happy New Year

• Like 1

"Please take care of foreigners. If anything happens to them, please step in to help," Surapong said.

thumbsup.gif

Ya better watch out , ya better be good, ya better not cheat, ya better not say white lies, ya better not kill or cause any major problems because....ummm ... who is it agan that will be coming to town again soon...??

- No touts

- No price gouging

I was in Udon Thani last week. same thing. Wonderful experience. When we have gone out to the shopping plazas, I am a minority and I think it works in my favour. The lack of farangs circulating seems to have reduced the numbers of scum that associate with the farang presence. No sexy massage offers, no touts, no cops trying to entrap me into buying drugs, no visible hookers, no foreign yobs. There are thousands of foreign tourists in Hua Hin right now. Very well behaved.

Maybe the scams and thieving and ripoffs are a reflection from the quality of tourists that Phuket and Pattaya attract. How is it that Udon Thani, a place for lower income older foreigners has a much classier feel to it than the Kamala-Kata strip of Phuket? The same Germans and Scandanavians are in Hua Hin as in Phuket, but the difference is that these people are not skewed to the sex tourist and drink till you puke segment as in the areas with all the problems. Interesting enough that the Indians here are few but are visibly higher end, and I have not seen any middle easterners, or the English yobs of Phuket yet. My takeaway is that if I want a relaxing place with a minimum of hassles, is to pick a location where the quality of foreigners is better. I call this the Garbage- Vermin rule of life of Thailand.

You forgot to mention Hua Hin has no fun, its a shytehole with a very average beach. It has inflated prices because of the weekend expats coming down from BKK. I couldnt think of a worse place to reside in Thailand

Jezzzz great I'm relocating there next year ...

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Don't worry, Hua Hin is fine if you're looking for a relatively relaxed place with some nice beaches in the area. Just one note of caution choose your Western friends & acquaintances carefully.

Thankyou and yes relaxing is sounds good been living in Phuket over 10yrs n sad to see how it's going but I will be paying many visits back I'm sure

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Thaivisa Connect App

The Thai authorities are simply acknowledging that the kingdom is getting itself an increasingly unwanted reputation within the travel industry and are gently asking if it's scammers could please desist or else how will the government be able to continue to justify the amazing tourism success story we read about on an almost daily basis.

Not sure why borderpatrol is getting so worked up at people offering their opinions on a discussion forum. It doesn't take 32 years to make an observation. Maybe he is going stir crazy being in the same place too long?

Edited by bigbamboo

Right on cue the government announces that tourism is rising. I live in Isan and regularly visit Khon Kaen where friends have businesses in the tourism and hospitality sector, hotel, bars, restaurant etc.

Tourism news cracks them up as no one can ever find these extra visitors ! Thai government has an active creativity department to handle things like the budget, exports and tourism on the rise etc. Dr. Goebbels must be spinning in his grave out of sheer jealousy

"Thailand needs to take serious steps in stopping crimes against tourists, otherwise its appeal as a great destination might fade."

Unfu**** believable!! Its clear they only care about the dollars lost not about genuine helping others in distress. Is this what Buddhism teaches? Making merit for self only? Is that how it works?

However, the Kingdom's tourism industry is not untainted

Got that right for once buckaroo.

JUst a nice spin to cover all the cockups,

scams, murders, ripoff's etc...etc...etc.

However....there is peace & beauty available

if one just looks a bit harder...usually outside

and away from the obvious locales.

Edited by sunshine51

Until there is a complete reform of the major institutions eg police, army, judiciary, education , government in Thailand dont expect any significant changes in the near future.

The core is comletely corrupted so no amount of tinkering around the edges will make any great difference.

Right on cue the government announces that tourism is rising. I live in Isan and regularly visit Khon Kaen where friends have businesses in the tourism and hospitality sector, hotel, bars, restaurant etc.

Tourism news cracks them up as no one can ever find these extra visitors ! Thai government has an active creativity department to handle things like the budget, exports and tourism on the rise etc. Dr. Goebbels must be spinning in his grave out of sheer jealousy

Maybe, just maybe it might not be beyond the realms of possibility the tourists in large numbers tend not to visit KK, and prefer to go the beaches, islands etc. I am in koh toa at the moment, and nearly every single restaurant in the tourists areas are full from around 6pm onwards, even the crap ones which never used to have anyone in. I cannot speak for KPN or Samui, but i expect its similar. Never seen it this busy in the 10 years i have been coming here.

- No touts

- No price gouging

Inflated prices may be as much as them taking advantage of Royal links with the resort.

National Geographic Channel is to show a program called "Scam City" starting next month (Jan 2013). One episode will be about Bangkok.

http://natgeotv.com/uk/scam-city/about

...unravels the story behind two notorious Bangkok scams, from a gem swindle to a marriage scam.

That's a re-run I think. First aired a couple of months ago and discussed here. :)

There is a way to fix this cancer (corruption, extortion) in thailand that is by Decree at the highest level decliring it a crime agianst thailand therefor a treacherous act, or both thais and farang flatly refusing to pay tea money to bib and any scamers any money , your mobile phone camera is your best friend, take lots of pics before you hire anything and photos of any operater or police and then you may be half way safe?

Unfortunately just taking pictures will not save you. When you go to report the problem the police will be against you, they will falsify the reports (in Thai) and demand you sign them, any lawyer you get will probably be looking for a big fee and then work for the other side by lying about what the report says and at all times avoiding giving their countrymen a problem. If you do get to court and have the time to pursue any case - or defence - the claim will have been worded so you cannot win and if you get a decent lawyer then the judge will refuse to allow evidence to be submitted that would require him to award in your favour - because that makes an appeal difficult.

All these I know to have happened recently in Thailand.

The safest way to exist in Thailand is to accept that scamming and corruption cannot be avoided, stay clear of any police, lawyer or court and avoid renting motobikes because the scum will eventually get you even if they have to steal their bike from you while you sleep and then accuse you of losing the bike while they hang on to your passport. Your pictures will not help and the police will just confiscate it anyway.

Oh and never let your passport out of your sight - it will be copied and used to do whatever the criminal wants in your name as forging signatures appears to be a national past-time here. If you do have to give a copy of your passport then always cross it through and write clearly the reason you are giving the copy and the date in a position where it would be hard to erase it. Thais are very relaxed about forgery and the officials very willing to accept almost anything as a real signature no matter they are selling your car or your house, cancelling your lease or selling themselves your company shares and cancelling your Directorships.

And nobody gives a shit - even your fellow expats. Avoiding trouble for yourself and selling your soul in the process is the modus operandii here.

• Like 1

No, it won't. The scammers can't scam an insurance company.

Can pretty easily actually...

Insurance companies are mainly International organizations; as long as you know the broker, you can get payment for many many things....

But I agree it would not stop them, would just get them double income on some occasions: cash from tourism and claim from insurance.... whistling.gif

No way a Thai insurance company (and yeah, they are Thai) are going to pay 30 to 50,000 baht for some scuff marks, as have threatened, intimidated, non-Thai speaking tourists who don't understand the value of the baht.

Add into that equation an "official" police intervention, and scammers score good money. I doubt they'd even try to make a claim, probably can't fill out a form to save their life. biggrin.png

Edited by HeijoshinCool

- No touts

- No price gouging

I could not have said this better. Thank you for bringing some basic common sense to this.

Good points, but most of the scammed are one time newbie tourists.

But for your reasons stated above, I too live in the "sticks."

So how long have you been here and how many places have you visited oh wise one ?...and which school do you teach at ?

I can assure you the rosy tinted spectacles do eventually come off eventually for all the apologists...wink.png

Been here 32 years (circa 1979 - SOG), I am not a school teacher, never have been. Could say I am a "Prodigal Son"
  • Like 1

Ah the newbie knowall. I think you'll find a good selection of Farangs on TV that actually keep abreast of what is happening in Thailand and the cynicism is well justified by the quality of the government (& Phuket governor) and the corruption that they are involved in. The Op is a collection of empty words that we have heard time & time again.

Most long-stay Farangs know all about the scams & how to avoid them. First-time tourists probably don't. Some of the scams are so bad & prevalent that ambassadors have had to try & prompt some action. This is a fairly new activity but the reaction so far has been only rhetoric - like the article here.

By the way, I've lived here for 16 years & have visited most major towns & cities as well as the countryside. What about you?

Who wants to know what is happening in this country. Living here suits me. I stay away from politics and it stays away from me. Scams, who gives a dam_n, every government and PF is involved in scamming the people the world over, I cannot be bothered in going down the "Never Ending Story Route", well out of it. As for how long I have been here - 32 years (circa 1979 SOG). One could say "The Prodigal Son" - As for travelling around , been to all Cangwats (capitals, cities and rural areas except one, and that is a fairly new established Isaan Cangwat named "Beung Kan" - ex-Amphur of Cangwat Nongkhai.