Thailand's Cola Conflict: Est Vs. Pepsi

webfact

I dont think Pepsi will be very pleased that EST has the same

colour scheme as Pepsi, as when I first saw it and did not know

the full details of the story, I thought it was a new type of Pepsi.

Anyway I am not drinking anymore of those soft drinks,chemical

flavours,sugar and water.not good for my diabetes so the Dr.says

waters good enough and sometimes I make my own Ginger Beer.

I also see Pepsi selling at 20bht per 1.25 ltr bottle,so competition

is good for the drinkers of these soft drinks.

regards Worgeordie

Est doesn't even have the decency to make their own dispensers.. biggrin.png

I liked the picture and thought it was a bit much them using Pepsi dispensers but later I thought since they were the distributors and bottlers for Pepsi maybe these dispensers belong to them anyway.Seems a bit odd to leave the name of your competitor there as an advert but maybe it takes time to deal with all the machines.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

regards Worgeordie

I liked the picture and thought it was a bit much them using Pepsi dispensers but later I thought since they were the distributors and bottlers for Pepsi maybe these dispensers belong to them anyway.Seems a bit odd to leave the name of your competitor there as an advert but maybe it takes time to deal with all the machines.

Agreed, but the said machine has been at this state for months.. and it's in a major shopping mall in BKK :D

• Like 1

regards Worgeordie

Agreed, but the said machine has been at this state for months.. and it's in a major shopping mall in BKK biggrin.png

Maybe they're so similar they haven't noticed.

To each his own but I will never understand why people crave that poison. Cola is pure evil.

The sugarfree is very helpful to clean the toilet. Now I will testing how it works in the garden...smile.png

The Texas police use the concentrate to clean blood off the highway (phosphoric acid). Pour some in a saucer and mice that drink it will die because they can't burp and snails in your garden will drown in it. The sweeter the better so there may be a use for EST yet. I have stayed out or the Cola wars and if I have to have a soda, will drink orange Miranda or Fanta or Red Pop. As for Pepsi, they are big boys and will recover and prosper. I think Serm Suk shot themselves in the foot and will soon have an overcapacity of production and nowhere to distribute when Pepsi gets its ducks in a row.

Est is dumb as a label, but with the right marketing ( 'st ) might have been sort of clever.

One good thing is that it might be that a large number of Thais will learn how to pronounce an st ending sound.

Some Thais I know will get three syllables out of it: "es a tuh". That's OK as it took me a long time to say tdaw tdau and pbaw pbla.

According to Al Jazeera Coca-Cola is the big winner now taking a 50% market share. The big loser is Pepsi, down to 15%, while EST is taking 19%.

You would have thought after Carlsberg and Pizza Hut getting raped Pepsi would have foreseen this but their arrogance got the better of them.

According to Al Jazeera Coca-Cola is the big winner now taking a 50% market share. The big loser is Pepsi, down to 15%, while EST is taking 19%.

You would have thought after Carlsberg and Pizza Hut getting raped Pepsi would have foreseen this but their arrogance got the better of them.

Est 19%. I have not tasted it and have also no intention to, but everyone I know who has tried it from expat to tourist to Thai people says they will not drink it a second time.

Also take a look at all the supermarket, including Makro, where Est has their shelf space reduced to 10% of what the major brands have.

If a product sells this doesn't happen

• Like 1

regards Worgeordie

Agreed, but the said machine has been at this state for months.. and it's in a major shopping mall in BKK biggrin.png

Maybe they're so similar they haven't noticed.

Normal practice here. I love Ben and Jerry's ice cream. Local Tescos had a B&J freezer filled with yummi stuff. Then one day it was rsstocked with Haagen Dasz. What the?! So I sent a mail to the head office asking what was that all about? Expecting at least an explanation and maybe a bucket of goodwill... Nope. Nothing. Next week freezer was gone. Soon after no more B&J anywhere to be found in Thailand. Such a shame!!!

Est 19%. I have not tasted it and have also no intention to, but everyone I know who has tried it from expat to tourist to Thai people says they will not drink it a second time.

Also take a look at all the supermarket, including Makro, where Est has their shelf space reduced to 10% of what the major brands have.

Not sure sersuks numbers will be the same in 6 months

I doubt they are now. More and more shelves are filling with Pepsi.

They of course went way down in the market share when it was hard to find them but that is changing,

Give them time and you will find them back in the 7/11s.

Rome was not rebuilt in a day.

I doubt they are now. More and more shelves are filling with Pepsi.

They of course went way down in the market share when it was hard to find them but that is changing,

Give them time and you will find them back in the 7/11s.

Rome was not rebuilt in a day.

Won't take long.

Yes i cant really understand the share price of SSC (used to be Serm Suk the owner of EST) it has been holding up very well, above 200bt. I hear the same as others, the sales of EST have been dreadful after the initial marketing push and Pepsi seems to be gaining back ground again.

BTW all those old Pepsi machines belong to SSC, Pepsi has really had to start again in Thailand with a new bottler/distributor from the ground up

Yes i cant really understand the share price of SSC (used to be Serm Suk the owner of EST) it has been holding up very well, above 200bt. I hear the same as others, the sales of EST have been dreadful after the initial marketing push and Pepsi seems to be gaining back ground again.

BTW all those old Pepsi machines belong to SSC, Pepsi has really had to start again in Thailand with a new bottler/distributor from the ground up

That's life.

I somehow doubt Pepsi found it hard to raise the cash to do it. I really hope sermsuk sees its ass over this because it is all very distasteful.

A bit like Est.

• Like 2

Popped into 7/11 last night..

1,45 lt Pepsi Max bottle @ 29 baht

1.0 lt est bottle, printed on the label 20 baht, on promotion 15 baht,

Did not have any milk, so went next door Tesco Express same est 14 baht. Pepsi Max 27 baht

WHO IS RUNNING PEPSI IN THIALAND?? SAck the idiot! What large or even Small company would run a busines swith such a degree of carelessess not having a back up plan even after being informed a contrac was ending?

Now I run a business here and I know with a BOI company ($1million invested) YOU DO NOT NEED ANY THAI PARTNERS AT ALL. ZILCH. Now I may be mistaken but I would suspect Pepsi is a little bigger than that figure.

So who the hell let this giant of the industy go down the toilet? Surely they should have had contingency plans and after seeing hjow busines sis run here with THAI PARTNERS they could have teamed up earlier with more reputable companies?

This Thai Bev company has a long hstory of shafting partners... Hello Carlsberg?

We need to combine our forces and stengths and put aside differences to compete in an unfair environment - even if it means going to some business competitors in other countries and teaming up to sustain values we uphold in our own countries to get our work done here. that is profit - otherwise close down and go home.

I would be free and willing to assu=ist them with some bsuiness advice which i use daily in my tin pot business here.

• Like 1

Clanger Alert re Veronica Pedrosa clip:

est is NOT the first home grown Thai softdrink e.g. Royal Crown cola is still widely available in Bangkok at corner shops: tastes like 'the real thing' only far less gassy and many prefer it.

BTW I believe their other flavor is a root beer.

Edited by GazR

It's easy to beat the competition when you have no choice.

In Central Rama ll most of the restaurants have switched, not giving you a choice. The switch could of been based on price, supply problems or nationalism. I will chalk it up to the latter (nationalism). -_-

No worries, I prefer water and enjoy my slim waistline. :P

• Like 1

est is NOT the first home grown Thai softdrink e.g. Royal Crown cola is still widely available in Bangkok at corner shops: tastes like 'the real thing' only far less gassy and many prefer it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Crown_Cola

is american

Forget about the pepsi and coke Hows about some bright spark making a descent Beer in this Country instead of the the strangle hold of the Two main conglomerates

...The local made beer is disgraceful...No head No Taste and me No Buy ....Sh.tcoffee1.gif

• Like 1

I surprisingly find myself liking the taste of EST more then Coke and Pepsi. I think it's because of the root beer.

Forget about the pepsi and coke Hows about some bright spark making a descent Beer in this Country instead of the the strangle hold of the Two main conglomerates

...The local made beer is disgraceful...No head No Taste and me No Buy ....Sh.t

Maybe it would be a good idea to clean the pipes before botteling Est Cola...

I am always amused to see, how the displays of EST on-the-shelves in local supermarkets, remain curiously full & undisturbed. Must please the shelf-stackers !

Although my taste-consultants (the rugrats) tell me that the green one is almost drinkable. laugh.png

If only we might see the return of Sprite-Zero, and Dr-Pepper at a non-imported 55-60 Baht/can price ! rolleyes.gif

• Like 2

I am always amused to see, how the displays of EST on-the-shelves in local supermarkets, remain curiously full & undisturbed. Must please the shelf-stackers !

Although my taste-consultants (the rugrats) tell me that the green one is almost drinkable. laugh.png

If only we might see the return of Sprite-Zero, and Dr-Pepper at a non-imported 55-60 Baht/can price ! rolleyes.gif

I (personally) have tried the whole range and compared it to the others available. Est in all its flavors is by far the worst.

I find Big Orange surprisingly good (not as sweet).

I have gone off the stuff, but find Lipton tea-Lemon at 28 bht a litre from tesco not bad at all, more pleasent taste. another is that Ouishi- Ha Ha --spelling of the item I forgot--but the black tea-lemon good 30 bht litre.

Swampy airport today--can of coke 50 baht she said -I politely told her to bog off, this is stupid as it is 10 bht wholesale. near boots was a place selling cool cans for 18 bht, about time many rip offs are stopped, another thread about the strong bht and this today.

Local tesco today pepsi 1 litre 24 bht, coke 1.5 litre 23 bht. competition out of the window.

I have gone off the stuff, but find Lipton tea-Lemon at 28 bht a litre from tesco not bad at all, more pleasent taste. another is that Ouishi- Ha Ha --spelling of the item I forgot--but the black tea-lemon good 30 bht litre.

Swampy airport today--can of coke 50 baht she said -I politely told her to bog off, this is stupid as it is 10 bht wholesale. near boots was a place selling cool cans for 18 bht, about time many rip offs are stopped, another thread about the strong bht and this today.

Local tesco today pepsi 1 litre 24 bht, coke 1.5 litre 23 bht. competition out of the window.

Tops here in Chiang Mai is selling Pepsi Max at 24 baht for a 1.45 liter bottle. Coke Zero is in 1.25 liter bottles at 23 baht.

don't think I have seen Pepsi or Coke in 1 liter bottles here in Chiang Mai.

Maybe you can start at the Europen airports where that same can of coke would cost the equivalent of 100 to 200 baht dependant on which airport you depart from.

Edited by jbrain

Tops here in Chiang Mai is selling Pepsi Max at 24 baht for a 1.45 liter bottle. Coke Zero is in 1.25 liter bottles at 23 baht.

don't think I have seen Pepsi or Coke in 1 liter bottles here in Chiang Mai.

HD, coke don't do--- 1 litre pepsi started 2 months ago--(Udon Thani)---Pepsi is flooding the market, Coke at tesco EXPRESS always seem to be "NO HAB"

Also notice tesco whiskey-coffee-not available.

I love pepsi max and coke zero, So I hope pepsi beats the crap out of est lol

but all the sugared colas tastes the same to me. coke, pepsi, est, it really doesn't matter.

But then again , I prefer the sugar free stuff so, my taste buds are baised.