Four Thais Jailed Over 54 Myanmar Migrant Deaths

webfact

They murder 54 people and only get up to 10 years then they are out on bail? You have to be joking, I guess this is called Thai justice. So how many years did that poor Thai man get for supposedly text messaging something negative about the Queen? 20 years, and by the way he died last May in jail while serving his 20 year sentence, very sad.

Thais take such matters seriously. Be careful what you say. As to the topic, pathetic sentences.

I am not sure about Thais in general taking it seriously as much as certain people who are in positions of power do in order to maintain their power and control over the masses.

I read on another report on this,that they where destined for Phuket. Is there that much work available in Phuket. Is a Farrang on a tourist visa and working counted as an illegal worker.

Judging by the crews on the Thai fishing boats, I'd say yes.

• 4 months later...

Wife came home last night, and asked if I wanted to go to a party in the next village. The driver is out of jail, and the party last night was for him going to do his time in the Wat. I didn't go.

Wife says the driver is due for release. I assume that's from local gossip.

Before I read the above, I knew that there would be early releases.

Thai social divisions are extremely stratified. Burmese laborers are at the bottom rungs. Some of my best friends are Burmese migrants, and I hear 1st hand how they've been taken advantage of, and treated like dirt. It won't change, any more than Thais will stop believing in ghosts.

So now the wait for the appeal to be heard. Six months - six years - never?

Wife says the driver is due for release. I assume that's from local gossip.

Before I read the above, I knew that there would be early releases.

Thai social divisions are extremely stratified. Burmese laborers are at the bottom rungs. Some of my best friends are Burmese migrants, and I hear 1st hand how they've been taken advantage of, and treated like dirt. It won't change, any more than Thais will stop believing in ghosts.

So now the wait for the appeal to be heard.

Six months - six years - never?

And the USA complains that it takes too long to prosecute and solve trafficking stories.

This is a joke right? Only 10 years for killing 54 people, so what is that, roughly 8 weeks per person?. Sounds about the same penalty for smuggling a few desease ridden soi dogs across the border.

I guess this is why the U.S are concerned about Thailands response to human trafficking and Kerry looks so uninterested in what Surapong Tovichakchaikul has to say.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/638472-u-s-concerned-by-slow-thai-response-to-human-trafficking-cases-surapong/

Surely they would have been sentenced to a minimum of 30 yrs or possibly the death penalty.

This a complete joke and just goes to prove what value Thailand puts on human livestock.

Edited by chooka