The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

No, there is no windup.
To me locating new restaurants is kind of a "serious" pursuit.

That picture does it.

Now I know EXACTLY where that is. 

It's weird I didn't notice that before. I've been on that street very recently. Is it a very NEW place? 

Doesn't matter. THANK YOU! 

That's pretty darn EXCITING if that new PHO joint turns out to be the real deal. As far as I know that would be the first dedicated PHO joint in Pattaya! I see it says Hanoi style. In the U.S. it's mostly Saigon style. I was told in my visit to Hanoi that Saigon style is more about that big plate of bean sprouts you get but I'm sure there are other differences as well. In any case, I can tell decent PHO from pretenders as it's so much about the BROTH. Of course, in Thailand there is the issue of the low quality BEEF. 

Edited by Jingthing

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

It's weird I didn't notice that before. I've been on that street very recently.

I told you why you didnt notice it. I didn't either and I was looking for it. In fact I walked past it three times before finding it. You simply cannot tell what it is from outside unless you cross the street.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

I told you why you didnt notice it. I didn't either and I was looking for it. In fact I walked past it three times before finding it. You simply cannot tell what it is from outside unless you cross the street.

Yes, you did, and that's pretty hilarious too. I still wonder how new it is just for academic reasons. Sometimes going to very new restaurants is a "special" kind of trip.

Again, I was only sincerely trying to find the place, and am happy that this place does exist and that I can find it. Whether it's good or not ... there's the drama now. 

To me, this find exemplifies the COOLEST thing about this thread. Helping people discover less well known places, a little or a lot off the beaten path of the beaches and malls, new or not, that might takes years for the general public to know about (which often means they will be closed by the time you know about it). 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I still wonder how new it is just for academic reasons. Sometimes going to very new restaurants is a "special" kind of trip.

I would say very new. The only thing visible in the window was a hand-written sign saying "open". Nothing on the tables at all: no cutlery, menus, condiments. It may be that they have only just done the street signs and that the window signs and internal signs are to follow soon. Or maybe not.

If someone had told me that it was a shop selling restaurant tables and chairs I would have believed them.

• Like 2

Interestingly in the photo posted earlier you can see the billboard I mentioned (3), the "open" sign (2) and also a menu (1) that was not present when I went past. Photos of the menu have been posted just now. Had the menu been there when I went past it would have been easier to find the place.

vietnam01.jpg

Seems definitely worth a try but it's not exactly meeting my dream Pho restaurant.  I was hoping for a wide menu of beef soup options so you custom tailor your soup. Here I only see the standard beef pho and you can order a plate of rare beef as well. But if the broth is good, would still be happy.

I see the picture of their standard beef Pho and I'm curious as to what style of beef is in there and whether there are gristle pieces. It looks like it comes cooked without rare pieces to put in.

For what I mean about a wide menu of beef options, see this:

http://www.phofever.com/ingredients.php

My favorite choice is a mix or rare beef and cooked beef brisket. I'm not into the gristle pieces or "mystery" beef balls that Vietnamese people tend to love.

Edited by Jingthing

2 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

I guess so, and as I have said before on this thread, it really is not worth bothering posting new restaurants as you find them.

Please continue to advise of new restaurants. It's informative and entertaining. I honestly had been by there several times in the last 24 hours looking for it and still have difficulty believing it's there. I do know that "Louisiana" place has been remarkably open for many years I don't even know what if anything, they sell. Indicating it was next to it would have helped. Landmarks help. But you did make it clear where it was and the fact I could not see it is my weakness, not your lack of specificity. As for chicken being 800 Baht for a whole, 200 Baht for a chicken leg? Those must come with a Vietnamese girl to light your cigarettes  and laugh at your stupid jokes as you dine. Is after all in the what seems like new Japanese area of Pattaya and that's what they like...God Bless You and pray there is some valid explanation for the chicken prices. 

49 minutes ago, BruceMangosteen said:

Please continue to advise of new restaurants. It's informative and entertaining. I honestly had been by there several times in the last 24 hours looking for it and still have difficulty believing it's there. I do know that "Louisiana" place has been remarkably open for many years I don't even know what if anything, they sell. Indicating it was next to it would have helped. Landmarks help. But you did make it clear where it was and the fact I could not see it is my weakness, not your lack of specificity. As for chicken being 800 Baht for a whole, 200 Baht for a chicken leg? Those must come with a Vietnamese girl to light your cigarettes  and laugh at your stupid jokes as you dine. Is after all in the what seems like new Japanese area of Pattaya and that's what they like...God Bless You and pray there is some valid explanation for the chicken prices. 

WOW, it so so great to see so many nice Christians here...... ??  Go to the intersection of Pattaya Klang and Soi Buakhao.  Go to the left side of the street walking "with the traffic" toward Sukhumvit.  It is not at the intersection but walk approx. 200 m (maybe more), toward Sukhumvit and it is on the left next to Louisiana.

Edited by bkk6060

On 3/29/2017 at 5:21 PM, Roger Lee said:

Hopefully this is appropriate, it is related to the local Pattaya restaurant scene.  I've received interesting "Line" messages from Robin Hood and Retox.  Apparently they're related.  

I am in no way affiliated with nor do I have an interest in being part of their organization.

Choose your Carvery or Roast Dinner location today 
We got all the bases covered 
Darkside.  All you can eat 375 baht 

Robin Hood All you can eat 395 baht 

Retox Lengkee.    Dinner in huge Yorkshire Pudding 199 baht

Retox Honey. Small plated 199 baht 
                        Large Plated 299 baht
More roast dinners than ANYONE else.....
Come and see why.

Now you can ….. Get involved.
Phase 1 is now completed.
We now have 4 Retox Bars, The Robin Hood Tavern and a production kitchen as part of the group
This makes us the Biggest Sports bar/restaurant group in Thailand
Now onto phase 2
We are now actively seeking partners/investors as part of our controlled expansion of the Retox Brand into , 2 locations in Bangkok, Phuket, Koh Samui , Chiang Mai, Udon Thani , China , Cambodia and Vietnam
Proven model with guaranteed returns 

https://www.facebook.com/BitePattaya/

UPDATE 25TH JANUARY

Sorry for delay updating - took a quick and much-needed holiday 1f642.png:)

So the work at Bite Me has finally begun. Apologies to anyone who has tried to book these past three weeks, not everyone reads the forums or Facebook. Which means they won't read this... oh well lol.

Some have taken a leaf out of the book of modern politics and spread all sorts of fake news. After all, this is Pattaya. However news of our demise is greatly exaggerated 1f609.png;)

To sum up - despite making reasonable money (sorry doom-mongers!) Bite Me decided that the restaurant scene alone is getting pretty tough these days, and in our view won't be improving any time soon. It needs a combo of income streams, not just food in-house, to be worth all the effort and extremely long hours. Especially in the mid-market restaurant range, with low profit margins. So we decided to join up with the Retox/Robin Hood group after an offer from Simon Peatfield. The new set-up may not please everyone. But it's got real potential, and we can't wait to get started.

From the end of the first week of Feb, the bar/eatery part of Bite Me will be rebranded as a Retox business, and the Bite Me staff, currently working over at the Robin Hood, will be back at the 3rd Road premises after a facelift (the Bistro, not the staff...). Yes - originally we hoped to carry the Bite Me menu in a Bistro area at the Robin Hood. But for now, mainly because serving two menus from the same busy kitchen is tough to organise, it's not practical. It may yet happen - there's plenty of space at the Robin Hood, especially on the huge terrace, for a cool Bistro area - but one step at a time.

Back at the old Bistro the girls will be charged with managing our production kitchen, and supplying Bite Me quality specials and an updated menu to customers in the bar and sports lounge downstairs. We plan to serve food from 8am to midnight, with the BiteMe2Go menu on Door2Door available from 11am to 11pm. Production kitchen and vac pack goods will be available to restaurants and retail outlets as well as individual expats.

This is a major expansion, one which the current partners alone could not have managed without Simon Peatfield's help and expertise. We shall be looking for quality back-up in the kitchens with the expanded hours. There are more ideas and projects, but can't say any more about that right now 1f609.png;)

After opening a restaurant he understood that the scene was not so good. As I said, certainly a world champion !

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

That's old news. Did that stuff actually happen? Color me doubtful.

It is old news. As far as I know they got as far as starting to serve some BiteMe-style meals at Robin Hood, then it just sort of fizzled out. Presumably the differences in clientele were just too great as I mentioned previously. I've heard nothing since.

• Like 1

You must be joking right ? I tried that 7 eleven stuff once and never again .  The spaghetti tasted like some sort of porridge  , and the meat balls? Sure add some spices and down it goes. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, balo said:

You must be joking right ? I tried that 7 eleven stuff once and never again .  The spaghetti tasted like some sort of porridge  , and the meat balls? Sure add some spices and down it goes. 

He might be joking but this thread is about sharing information about all kinds of local food options (hiso, loso, noso, bozo), and we all have different tastes, budgets, and priorities. I feel that post gave some good information. I won't be trying it but now I know more about what it is. 

Edited by Jingthing

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Is 7-11 a restaurant?:)

This is the spaghetti and pork meat ball for 35 b.  Sorry to Italian aficionados I know I will get some guff, but this is a delicious snack or meal.  The meat balls are very tasty and tender and perfectly seasoned. The sauce is great perfect flavor and spices I think.  Seriously, as good as I have had in Pattaya. Anyway, I usually buy 2 or 3 and make a meal.  

20170331_113049.jpg

Had something similar to that on the train to Nong Khai. It was vile. Spaghetti and meatballs doesn't appear on a lot of Italian restaurant menus in Pattaya. Kiss do it for 110 Baht and it is pretty good. The sauce is a bit sweet, so I add a good sprinkling of pepper. The meatballs are Australian (kangaroo meat?).

Spaghetti and meatballs is more Italian American than Italian but who cares, it can be a good dish. No comment on the 7-11 version though. 

Apt responses to this might be comments on actual restaurants in Pattaya that do spaghetti and meatballs. I've seen it but my memory is fuzzy on that at the moment. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Apt responses to this might be comments on actual restaurants in Pattaya that do spaghetti and meatballs. I've seen it but my memory is fuzzy on that at the moment. 

New York Pizza serves what they call spaghetti and meatballs. The meatballs are to meat(beef or?) what3r9 fish balls are to fish. Picture the concept of ground up fish in Thailand with that of ground up "beef", some how configured into a "ball" and you've got it. It's just there and it fills you up and hopefully you don't get sick. You won't taste it nor ever know what is really in it. God Bless You.

Edited by BruceMangosteen

21 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

WOW, it so so great to see so many nice Christians here...... ??  

Belief and willingness to share your love for and devotion to God isn't always a direct link to Christianity. Considering what we consume here in Pattaya, from food coming from not only unknown sources but of unknown content,  combined with the fact that most if not all? are having unprotected sexual contact with complete strangers, and well mate, you may need God sooner than you think. Yes before everyone tells me, I know your "girlfriend" or "wife" is different since you've known her a week and met her family. Regarding frozen meals from 7/11, well you could again leap to the conclusion there is some sort of quality control at the source but I seriously doubt it. Even Apple can't it seems control it's supply chain. I doubt 7/11 or CP can either in regards to food. God Bless You mate and OO. 

4 hours ago, BruceMangosteen said:

Someone recommended the ribs at Kiss. A complete waste of 179. Baht. Even those on Soi Bouikow at the Issarn style barrel are better. Kiss does a remarkable custom. Serving who I have no clue. But it's always full and making a ton of money for someone or some "group". 

Obviously you haven't tried their ribs.  Why don't you try the ribs from Pizza Company?  Or is doing this beneath your elequence and culinary expertise?  Perhaps they are not up to your high lined restaurant bench mark but trust me, they are of great value and they have good flavor. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Roger Lee said:

Obviously you haven't tried their ribs.  Why don't you try the ribs from Pizza Company?  Or is doing this beneath your elequence and culinary expertise?  Perhaps they are not up to your high lined restaurant bench mark but trust me, they are of great value and they have good flavor. 

What's wrong with you? Are you drunk? I said I'd tried them. That's it. I'm glad you like them. I had no problem with the salad and fries they come with, but the ribs were not any good not to mention a small portion.

I've tried ribs all over Pattaya, including the new "Smokin Joes", the established "Rich Man Poor Man", and in between at "Tigglebittes" and off the street from a barrel and out of a supermarket Carre Four and now Big C Extra.

In addition, I was an official judge at the Rib Cook Off at the Nuggett in Sparks Nevada http://www.nuggetribcookoff.com/about-the-best-in-the-west-nugget-rib-cook-off/  and an official taster at Jilly's in Atlanta Georgia and a founding taster at Sonny's Real Pit BBQ. So young man, I know my ribs!

God Bless You and please, don't call me a liar in front of our lord and savior. OO.

Edited by BruceMangosteen
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BruceMangosteen said:

What's wrong with you? Are you drunk? I said I'd tried them. That's it. I'm glad you like them. I had no problem with the salad and fries they come with, but the ribs were not any good not to mention a small portion.

I've tried ribs all over Pattaya, including the new "Smokin Joes", the established "Rich Man Poor Man", and in between at "Tigglebittes" and off the street from a barrel and out of a supermarket Carre Four and now Big C Extra.

In addition, I was an official judge at the Rib Cook Off at John Asquaries Nuggett in Sparks Nevada and an official taster at Jilly's in Atlanta Georgia and a founding taster at Sonny's Real Pit BBQ. So young man, I know my ribs!

God Bless You and please, don't call me a liar in front of our lord and savior. OO.

Certainly your experiences differ from mine.  Sure RMPM makes great ribs but to discredit other good sources is disheartening.  Perhaps you are the drunk one.