The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

On 4/3/2017 at 5:29 AM, Jingthing said:

The original two fried pieces. Thick. 

IMG_20170402_200406.thumb.jpg.4bf409d849d74cdeeab130b060baf82e.jpg

This type of fish is one of the least expensive available(I assume) and is available at almost all the Thai BBQ's where you pay 139-199. Baht for the buffet. To imply this fish is some sort of deal etc. is misleading to the members. It's commonly referred to as "junk fish" to fisherman. Sort of or in fact, gar. Disappointing at best but life goes on in India. 

On 4/3/2017 at 4:57 AM, Jingthing said:

From the new Vietnamese restaurant --

Stuffed w/ beef fresh rice rolls (fish sauce dip not shown)

IMG_20170410_204942.thumb.jpg.b217d23306465d4cdd0c6a95cbe26d96.jpg

The photo on the wall indicates this is a roll, sort of like an un-fried spring roll. In the North East along the Mekong River you roll this yourself. Here it is presented in the fashion photographed above(which differs from the menu photo) and is not very appealing. There is no real beef in the dish, rather, some sort of like bacon bits dried something(who again ever knows what? don't forget they recycle manure to taste like food in China). Another disappointing dish presented with flair. While reviews are appreciated, some context is often need. God Bless You and OO.

Edited by BruceMangosteen

26 minutes ago, BruceMangosteen said:

This type of fish is one of the least expensive available(I assume) and is available at almost all the Thai BBQ's where you pay 139-199. Baht for the buffet. To imply this fish is some sort of deal etc. is misleading to the members. It's commonly referred to as "junk fish" to fisherman. Sort of or in fact, gar. Disappointing at best but life goes on in India. 

If you had bothered to read my post in context you would know that I was not happy with the simple fried fish which happened because of a misunderstanding in the ordering process (though it was nicely not greasy) but that when I sent it back to get the spicy South Indian "gravy" that I was then very happy with the flavor and total experience of the dish.

Apples and oranges to a Thai buffet, dude. They don't do South Indian spicy gravies there.

Cheap fish or not it was nice in the dish. 

It's also of note that the restaurant attracts groups of Indians specifically for the spicy fried fish, so I reckon they're doing something right. 

I have no doubt the restaurant isn't a charity and if you think I was implying the prices at this place are the bargain of the century, you're mistaken.

I did comment that the chicken portion was large for Indian curries in town because I've heard many people (including me) complain that local Indian curries often include just a few pieces of the featured protein. So comparatively that's a value. 

Edited by Jingthing

19 minutes ago, BruceMangosteen said:

The photo on the wall indicates this is a roll, sort of like an un-fried spring roll. In the North East along the Mekong River you roll this yourself. Here it is presented in the fashion photographed and is not very appealing. There is no real beef in the dish, rather, some sort of like bacon bits dried something(who again ever knows what? don't forget they recycle manure to taste like food in China). Another disappointing dish presented with flair. While reviews are appreciated, some context is often need. God Bless You and OO.

I'm not entirely sure about the meat inside the roll. Yes, it might have been a dried beef. I consider your insinuation that it was made of manure to be a trollish game (typical of so many of your food comment posts). 

I liked the dish and again, apples and oranges to whatever you ate along the Mekong. Your text doesn't make it entirely clear that you actually ate the dish. Either way, tastes vary and it hit the mark for my tastes, especially jazzed up with the fish sauce and side chile sauce. 

They do have "dried beef" in another dish there I have haven't tried, a papaya salad with dried beef. Perhaps some other dishes too. 

At under 100 baht, others can try the dish for themselves and see if they like it and please ignore the comment that it is made of manure. 

Edited by Jingthing

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I'm not entirely sure about the meat inside the roll. Yes, it might have been a dried beef. I consider your insinuation that it was made of manure to be a trollish game (typical of so many of your food comment posts). 

I liked the dish and again, apples and oranges to whatever you ate along the Mekong. Your text doesn't make it entirely clear that you actually ate the dish. Either way, tastes vary and it hit the mark for my pastes, especially jazzed up with the fish sauce and side chile sauce. 

You might consider staying away from the very boyish tenor. There is no "trollish game" being played here. You left out the most important aspect in your review. I only made the manure comment to alert members of the antics going on in SEA and China with regards to food and it's consumption. You never know what you are really getting, and in fact, it may not matter. I have in fact as advised, been to North East Thailand and had authentic Vietnamese food as well as Laotian. I've never been to Vietnam as I still hold a certain disdain for the treatment of the MIA's and POW's during and after the war. You used to claim to ignore my posts so perhaps you should go back to that mode. We can moderate this discussion without your continued whining about it being hijacked away from your own interests. OO

17 minutes ago, amjamj said:

Hello, how much do you pay your vegetarian Thali around Pattaya ? And where ? Thanks.

There may be over a hundred places in town doing thali. I think your query might be worthy of a separate new thread.

Hard to talk about price because many people get them on tour group discounts, but generally the walk in retail range would be 100-150 through 350 at a high end place with most all veg at 150 - 200. 

Personally, I don't order thalis very often as I find them kind of boring. But I used to enjoy the veg thali at this place:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d7904896-Reviews-Indian_Rasoi_Restaurant-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, BruceMangosteen said:

You might consider staying away from the very boyish tenor. There is no "trollish game" being played here. You left out the most important aspect in your review. I only made the manure comment to alert members of the antics going on in SEA and China with regards to food and it's consumption. You never know what you are really getting, and in fact, it may not matter. I have in fact as advised, been to North East Thailand and had authentic Vietnamese food as well as Laotian. I've never been to Vietnam as I still hold a certain disdain for the treatment of the MIA's and POW's during and after the war. You used to claim to ignore my posts so perhaps you should go back to that mode. We can moderate this discussion without your continued whining about it being hijacked away from your own interests. OO

I will now respond to your posts on this thread for obvious reasons.

We're not interested in POWs here, dude. If you can't respect the purpose of this thread and can't post without constant baiting, please do not post here. 

Back to the topic, did you eat that beef roll dish there or not? 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I will now respond to your posts on this thread for obvious reasons.

We're not interested in POWs here, dude. If you can't respect the purpose of this thread and can't post without constant baiting, please do not post here. 

Back to the topic, did you eat that beef roll dish there or not? 

First and most important, don't attempt to control other's speech here or any place on the internet. Some of us do care about the POW's and MIA's from the Vietnam conflict and no, we won't shut up about it because you don't like it posted here and choose instead to launch into childlike personal attacks of our speech. I'll post wherever I like and if a moderator deletes my remarks I accept his/her decisions. Not yours. 

Yes, I ate the "beef roll" described on the wall/menu as "Pho Beef Roll" and it was me who told you and the other members about the sauce on each table being a special Vietnamese only flavor which brings out a distinct flavor in one's mouth and breath making him/her feel like he/she's enjoying the food because the burst of flavor is erotic. The dish served didn't relate in any way really to the photo on/in the menu. That was the main point, one which you so gallantly left out for your own glee. Good luck with that next time. I don't follow you on here but when I see something or things misleading or incomplete, corrections will follow and in polite meaningful tone without use of words like "dude" etc.. OO

Thanks for the clarification about the beef rolls.

Menu pictures often don't match dishes and that's on point information.

As I have eyes, I'm sure I would have noticed the table sauce and pickle on the tables all by myself, but it's worth noting again that's a feature of the restaurant. 

My experience of Vietnamese is largely in U.S. cities with very large ethnic Vietnamese populations. I have had fresh rice roll dishes like that there (never actually had in Hanoi) at some places though as I said before I really much prefer SAIGON style pho with the big plate of vegetable matter to add to the broth. 

But here in Pattaya, our choices for anything resembling decent Vietnamese are so very limited, so remain very glad this new place has opened. 

That is all. 

Edited by Jingthing

Probably been mentioned here before, but as member "B.M." mentioned rice rolls where you build them yourselves, it might be worth talking about the most popular Vietnamese dish in Thailand for Thai tastes:

Nem Nuong

(sample of presentation, not from a local place)

nem.jpg.79e380ac2cae8ceaf6ce1e3b65a2d750.jpg

Grill pork sausage rolls served with an assortment of fillings that you build yourself with small pieces of fresh rice paper.

I don't think this Northern place we've been talking about has it and also not commonly found at Vietnamese U.S. restaurants. So clearly some kind of accident of migration, history, and Thai tastes that the dish became so popular here.

Where to get in Pattaya?

The best I've had was at Vientiane restaurant here when they were on Pattaya Tai. Now on darkside? They are on foodpanda.

https://www.pattayaunlimited.com/vientiane-restaurant-east-pattaya/

You can also get a version at Mae-Sri-Ruen, the famous chain, now with a major Beach Road location just south of Central Pattaya Beach mall.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mae-Sri-Ruen-แม่ศรีเรือน/175142359205379

Other local Nem Nuong outlets ... people are welcome to mention.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

There may be over a hundred places in town doing thali. I think your query might be worthy of a separate new thread.

Hard to talk about price because many people get them on tour group discounts, but generally the walk in retail range would be 100-150 through 350 at a high end place with most all veg at 150 - 200. 

Personally, I don't order thalis very often as I find them kind of boring. But I used to enjoy the veg thali at this place:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d7904896-Reviews-Indian_Rasoi_Restaurant-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

2 hours ago, amjamj said:

Hello, how much do you pay your vegetarian Thali around Pattaya ? And where ? Thanks.

Oops.

I got Indian Rasoi confused with Indian Touch 1.

I've never even had a thali at Indian Rasoi.

So I meant to say Indian Touch 1 is where I experienced a more pleasant than usual lower priced thali:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d3808215-Reviews-Indian_Touch_1_RESTAURANT-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Thank you for the thali, I will try it there.

About Vietnamese food, is Vientiane restaurant a vietnamese restaurant ? where on the dark side exactly ? 

Thanks again.
It's primarily a Thai food restaurant but also features a western and small Vietnamese-ish menu. I don't know dark side places or even if it's still open but I see them on panda.
  • Like 1

I agree about Bon Cafe , I used to go there every week for a coffee.   But one day the coffee didn't taste right  , it was bitter and I suspected the machine had not been cleaned for a while.  (I used to work in a coffee shop in Europe, so know a bit about this) . 

I told the staff about it and they promised to "fix" it. I went back after 1 week and the same result , the coffee tasted different and was not good.    Not sure if I was the only one complaining. 

Anyway I figured I would send a mail to the Boncafe HQ in Bangkok , I have done some business there in the past.  I told them about the problem , I received a quick reply and they thanked me for letting them know.   They even sent me another mail that they had discovered a problem with some of the parts and replaced  it.   And they asked me to try their coffee again .

I went back and the coffee tasted normal again, maybe better than before .  And nobody "lost face" , staff in Wongamat were still happy .

Edited by balo
  • Like 1

Vietnamese on Pattaya Klang

Update/More info

This new restaurant recently posted about is coming along nicely. They've got an attractive new sign up now so it's much easier to find. Something about Vietnamese CULINARY and that sounds about right. 

First, about the HOURS --

Lots of hours. OMG.

7 days a week.

Opens at 7 am.

Closes at 11 pm.

Talk about work ethic. 

About the very expensive chicken ...

prodded some more. 

It's chicken. You eat it with rice. It does not come with a huge set of food. Just the chicken. I assume you have to buy the rice. 

Why expensive?

It's not imported. It's from Thailand. It's natural. 

Still a mystery.

About a nem (rolled sausage) platter.

Turns out they DO have a version.

Didn't try and probably won't. Bored with the dish as it's common here.

vietnem.jpg.3874fc4ae5edd46b7f5a84db79048126.jpg

Sampled some more dishes.

Bun (dry rice noodles) served with "BBQ" pork and assorted fresh greens.

The pork pieces (lots of gristle, authentic) was strangely (to me) served floating in large bowl of fish sauce dip. Live and learn. 

Enjoyable dish. Would order again on occasion. 

vietbbq1.jpg.83d28d796228f9b0789d1baa5bdea4ae.jpgvietbbq2.jpg.e45ae383d25fc37c21fadb265329744e.jpg

Crab soup with rice noodles (with tomatoes).

This was a very different flavor broth than Pho and a flavor I've had before at Vietnamese restaurants. However, as far as crab, not really sure. It had pieces what I call Vietnamese "hot dog" type sausages that were white colored. I always assume that's pork but don't know. Not a lot of flavor so I only picked at it. 

Also for me a quite disturbing floating object of what could have passed for cat vomit in appearance.

I couldn't bring myself to even taste it but I was adventurous enough to eat most of the soup as the BROTH was absolutely delicious. As it got down lower in the bowl the flavor of whatever that mass was started to migrate into the broth, and it wasn't a flavor I wanted to explore further (though honestly not particularly sick making either).   Won't order again but glad I tried it. (Sort of.)

vietcrabsoup.jpg.bf823797fec121a04d53d3fa35fb4d91.jpg

Sweet and sour (and hot) green papaya and carrot salad w/ dried beef. Also some of that Viet "hot dog" sausage, this time a darker color than the same in the soup. Lots of cilantro which I love.

This dish really worked for me. I've had similar Viet salads before but this was a somewhat different style in my experience. Serve it at a trendy restaurant called something like "Viet in Nam Only" in Portland Oregon and the foodies would probably be swooning and paying 600 baht for it. 

Highlight of the meal. 

vietsalad.jpg.5a6ae2190f46a46b2fdf61cc29f3a4e7.jpg

Still many dishes to try. Overall, Hanoi Pho / Vietnam Culinary, you won't be saying What the Pho ...

:sorry:

Edited by Jingthing

Korean Restaurant at Thappraya/Pratumnak!

A sign saying coming soon at the Axis Condo on the hill.

http://theaxiscondo.com/eng/location.html

It appears that it will be a large, major restaurant.

Assuming its probably going to be good, no need to go to North Pattaya for decent Korean food. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Many Koreans in that part of town? Without their patronage it could be a struggle to survive. There used to be a Korean place near Fairtex, but no longer. Northern end of Beach Rd and 2nd Road is the prime locale for Koreans.

Edited by champers

Many Koreans in that part of town? Without their patronage it could be a struggle to survive. There used to be a Korean place near Fairtex, but no longer. Northern end of Beach Rd and 2nd Road is the prime locale for Koreans.

We'll see. Perhaps they plan to cater to tour groups. Some Korean places in town are for groups only but I doubt they would be putting a coming soon sign up in that case.

I was surprised by the location. There used to be two or three odd Korean places on Jomtien beach road years ago but I think long gone.

1 hour ago, petermik said:

I walked past the old "Bite me Bistro" premises on 3rd road yesterday and they have a notice up saying Retox baht-buster breakfast now served here :ermm:

Again, that sign has been there for many months.

But the knock through from Soi LengKee to expand Retox has never happened, and maybe never will.