The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

On 10/26/2018 at 4:12 PM, AlexCanada said:

Royal Garden

Walked through Royal Garden this afternoon.  Pretty quiet for sure.  Noticed a handful of shops on the first floor that were either brand new or the space was empty.  That was not usually the case pre-T21.

On Beach Road where Hawker Chan once was there are 2 new restaurants coming, one on either side of Burger King.  One is an East Indian vegan restaurant and another is a Wine themed restaurant.  I likely won't be going to either but thought some here may be interested.

20181026_145828.thumb.jpg.1f5b68ccab43427bea6a1a88ef70b368.jpg

20181026_145750.thumb.jpg.60f634d9be8920e1ac2282d43beb8fc3.jpg

Sorry, is wine connection opened ? I like it in BKK, cheap and ok food (I am not expert so price is important).

2 hours ago, l4ml4m said:

Sorry, is wine connection opened ? I like it in BKK, cheap and ok food (I am not expert so price is important).

Not yet at Royal Garden but I think they still have a location at the Avenue Mall and perhaps other locations?

• Confused 1

On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 9:31 PM, AlexCanada said:

Pier 21 - Anas Hanif Chicken Biryani stall #9

WINNER!

Well, I tried the beef Massaman with yellow rice. The beef I found dodgy (not rotten just rubbery and gristly) and I didn't like the gravy either. Oily and not much flavor. Funny you found it spicy. Either we have different palates or different batches, or probably both. I do plan on trying the chicken curry with roti there though.

I tried the popular fried rice in pineapple on the same side of the food court as Anas Hanif. That I found to be a greasy stomach bomb. The meat was mostly chicken and then there were the raisins, so Thai. Oh well!

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, l4ml4m said:

Hello,

Can I know where you like to eat around Jomtien, beginning of the beach or near Viewtalay on Thapraya road ?

And where is this pizza ? On the main street ? is it overpriced ?

Thanks.

If you're looking for pizza in Jomtien now that Pizza Art is gone I would suggest Marcos. Also on Tappraya. Yes, Tappraya is a main road heading from south Pattaya into Jomtien. 

http://www.marcospattaya.com/

I can't really comment much on Pizza Da Nicola. I tried it years ago in another location and it wasn't my style. I recall the owner is Australian. I don't know if he's going to change the pizza style now that he has the authentic Italian brick pizza oven of the old Pizza Art, but the menu outside is exactly the same as his old locations. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Oily and not much flavor.

Maybe worth noting the curries get oily and generally appalling when they stay for a longer time in the pot. Maybe the initial invasion is over and they are left sitting for longer. It's a common problem in mass eateries here.

8 hours ago, lapd said:

Thais, living in one of the best countries in the world for food, who are notoriously picky eaters, don't know what good food tastes like? 

Judging by the horrible processed ingredients slop they eat from the street carts most have no clue what good Thai food is. Or can't afford it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"I can't really comment much on Pizza Da Nicola. I tried it years ago in another location and it wasn't my style. I recall the owner is Australian. I don't know if he's going to change the pizza style now that he has the authentic Italian brick pizza oven of the old Pizza Art, but the menu outside is exactly the same as his old locations. "

They spent a lot of money on new signage.  Too bad nobody told them how to spell "Restaurant".

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Judging by the horrible processed ingredients slop they eat from the street carts most have no clue what good Thai food is. Or can't afford it. 

Exhibit 1: Chips (french fries) with chocolate sauce. Guilty as charged.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Not yet at Royal Garden but I think they still have a location at the Avenue Mall and perhaps other locations?

No they never had a restaurant a Pattaya, only 2 wine shops.

The one that will open is the first restaurant here. Maybe nothing so special about them but it was my fav franchise in BKK, cheap and good enough I think.

20 hours ago, Jingthing said:

If you're looking for pizza in Jomtien now that Pizza Art is gone I would suggest Marcos. Also on Tappraya. Yes, Tappraya is a main road heading from south Pattaya into Jomtien. 

http://www.marcospattaya.com/

I can't really comment much on Pizza Da Nicola. I tried it years ago in another location and it wasn't my style. I recall the owner is Australian. I don't know if he's going to change the pizza style now that he has the authentic Italian brick pizza oven of the old Pizza Art, but the menu outside is exactly the same as his old locations. 

Overpriced celebrity wannabe. I liked the one in front of Panpan, where is the supermarket. Old guy who knows what he is doing and know how to control the Thai working for him.

• Like 1

No they never had a restaurant a Pattaya, only 2 wine shops.

The one that will open is the first restaurant here. Maybe nothing so special about them but it was my fav franchise in BKK, cheap and good enough I think.

I didn't realize they do restaurants. I assumed it was just another wine shop. Always happy to be corrected.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

Overpriced celebrity wannabe. I liked the one in front of Panpan, where is the supermarket. Old guy who knows what he is doing and know how to control the Thai working for him.

Pizza is subjective. I didn't like the pizza there at all though again it's been years. I was talking about Jomtien pizza but if we're talking Pattaya I would strongly suggest Sergio's pizza factory at the Avenue mall.

As far as Marcos yes it's a tad pricey. People should try a number of places to find their personal pizza bliss.

• Like 2

My Mrs tried this place, queued for one hour. Honestly, I was very disappointed with the taste/texture. My Mrs bakes and she has made much better Japanese cheesecake before.
The Bread Talk bakery is located on the same floor , and they had a promotion on Japanese cheese cake buy 1 get 1 free in October. They were good quality. I'm not an expert but cant understand why anyone would want to queue up for a similar cake.
  • Like 1

Terminal 21 Mall snippets (continued)

-- 

Misoya (excellent ramen place) continues with a new promotion. Two choices of their MISO based ramen broths at 50 percent off. Both current choices are 240, so that's 120.

--

Futai Noodle House (Chinese)

I was originally told soon after the mall opened by some random person there that they would be open in a few days. Well, they're still not open. As I'm not at the mall everyday, if you happen to see that they have opened, can you please post it here? They are on the San Francisco floor, 2nd road view side.

--

Food Court nit picks

If you go there when it's very crowded and still think this place is so big there will surely be a table or counter seat open when I need it, THINK AGAIN! Yesterday, there just wasn't. Not in the entire place. Not at the counter. Well there was a space at the counter piled high with spent food trays. 

People were even eating at tables filled with spent food trays. 

Curious about this, I had a look at the surely underpaid cleaning staff. They didn't seem properly motivated, if you get my drift.

The obvious solution is just to avoid when it's very busy, but you've been warned. 

Slip and slide food trays!

Is it just me or have others noticed that the plates at this food court SLIDE around a lot on the trays. I've never noticed this problem at other food courts. 

--

Thai Marche (grand food emporium)

This is the new place just down 2nd road from the mall next to Tiffany's. I've noticed a lot of activity inside and signs on the door saying Open Soon. If you happen to notice when they do actually open, please post that here.

Edited by Jingthing

On 11/5/2018 at 12:07 PM, Jingthing said:

f you go there when it's very crowded and still think this place is so big there will surely be a table or counter seat open when I need it, THINK AGAIN! Yesterday, there just wasn't. Not in the entire place. Not at the counter.

Yes , difficult to find a seat , but if you walk to the other counter, next to the coffee place, and then look to the right you will see 4 tables near the parking entrance, they are almost never filled up so I always sit down there.  

CORRECTION

to a post I made on another (closed) thread.

That was (unfortunately) totally incorrect. Taco House from the darkside is not adding a location in central Pattaya. The actual news is that the "Taco Taco" stand in the nightly Soi Buakhow market (parallel to Central Mall not the Pattaya Tai one) has closed and will be opening a restaurant at Pattaya Klang 9 Alley. 

• Like 1

Misoyu Ramen

Terminal 21 Mall

Current promotions

There are two current promotions (50 percent off)

Nagoya and Kyushu

As there are no menu descriptions of how the ramen choices differ, I asked a staff person.

She said the Nagoya had a brown sauce and was favored by Japanese customers and the Kyushu included rice "bale" whatever that means she could not explain.

So I tried the Nagoya. 

What I liked about the previous special was the very rich strong miso flavored broth. Even though both of these new promotions claim to also have miso in the broth I couldn't really taste it. Instead the "brown" stuff more like black stuff overpowered. It's a Japanese flavor I've tasted before, something like a BBQ sauce.

Also disappointing was only one piece of roasted pork rather than two before. Add insult to injury the one piece I got was truncated and pretty much all fat.

I would have definitely complained about the pork portion had it not been a promotion. I was wondering if the normal dish has only one pork piece so I checked the photo in front and indeed it was only one.

So that flavor is definitely off my list at any price. 

Not sure if I'll try the "rice bale" choice but I guess if I want the real deal full miso experience there I'll actually have to pay full price.

Also, they stopped adding the roasted potato chunks on the promotions though perhaps you can order as an extra.

I'm telling all this detail because I had strongly recommended this place for the promotions. Well, not the CURRENT ones. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

On 10/26/2018 at 10:12 AM, AlexCanada said:

Royal Garden

Walked through Royal Garden this afternoon.  Pretty quiet for sure.  Noticed a handful of shops on the first floor that were either brand new or the space was empty.  That was not usually the case pre-T21.

On Beach Road where Hawker Chan once was there are 2 new restaurants coming, one on either side of Burger King.  One is an East Indian vegan restaurant and another is a Wine themed restaurant.  I likely won't be going to either but thought some here may be interested.

20181026_145828.thumb.jpg.1f5b68ccab43427bea6a1a88ef70b368.jpg

20181026_145750.thumb.jpg.60f634d9be8920e1ac2282d43beb8fc3.jpg

Saras isn't new. It was on the food centre floor. Now they have a much better location.

9 minutes ago, JamJar said:

Saras isn't new. It was on the food centre floor. Now they have a much better location.

Indeed. Posted that before. They also have two locations in Bangkok where they originated. There is a lot of competition these days with Indian all vegetarian restaurants. 

Edited by Jingthing

Wine Connection , is that a wine themed restaurant , same as in Chiang Mai and Bangkok ? Will be interesting to see how that goes. I would think it would have been a better choice to open inside a big mall like T21. 

• Like 1

Wine Connection , is that a wine themed restaurant , same as in Chiang Mai and Bangkok ? Will be interesting to see how that goes. I would think it would have been a better choice to open inside a big mall like T21. 
Apparently so. I agree. The location seems odd.

For those of you on the Dark Side, maybe you could give Little Hut a try,

This is a fairly new coffee shop / cafe located on Soi Thung Klom-Tan Man 9, very close to Schitzel Hans.

This is an unashamed plug for this place as it is run by a friend of mine who is just trying to get it off the ground.

They have a selection of Thai and Farang food.  My wife and I were there tonight - she had a salmon salad, which she said was very good, and I had a spaghetti carbonara, which was excellent.  They also do some excellent coffee.

I've failed trying to add a place marker to Google Maps but if you know where Schitzel Hans is, Little Hut is virtually next door.

** Place marker now added **

Edited by doctormann
Place marker added to Google Maps

3 minutes ago, digbeth said:

Sankalp on 2nd road on the back of Royal Garden Plaza has now rebranded into something else, so I doubt it's the actual chain from India

Yes, they did indeed rebrand to something like PUNJAB. 

I checked the menu tonight. It's the same menu as before but they put their new logo over Sankalp on the menu. It's still 100 percent vegetarian. I'm going to assume it is probably independent of the international Sankalp brand now but they way they present it on the menu is otherwise, because they still show the other logos of other Sankalp enterprises. I'm also going to assume the food is probably still good. It was before the rebrand but I was hoping to get a full on Sankalp and indeed that never happened here. Oh well. 

Edited by Jingthing