The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

ordering plain RICE was not an option

Rice is difficult to keep hot.

I am surprised as long as you have been here you do not have a standard staple rice cooker in your kitchen going basically 24/7.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ReLo said:

hello, can you list all the applications or websites to order around Pattaya ? thanks.

Not sure if I know them all but if I missed any others can pipe in. 

Thank you for posting on topic. 

Grab 

Food panda 

Line used by some places for direct contact 

Lineman

Fb messenger used by some places for direct contact 

Wongnai

Hungry now New one

Some places have their own direct order online apps such as Frasers Jomtien 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Jingthing said:

You're surprised, are you?

Maybe someday I'll post detailed pictures and inventory of my kitchen and refrigerator. (Not.)

I find it odd when people make this so personal. Live long enough and you'll get dissed for not having a rice cooker. Now I've heard everything

Haha.

You took it personally.  It was not meant to be a dig.

You seem to know a lot about/enjoy food so it was just a suggestion to get warm rice immediately and not have to worry about the places that do not have it.

• Like 1

I will now comment about BONCHON CHICKEN, the international Korean fried chicken chain. I have eaten there several times at their in house restaurants (used to be Royal Garden but they moved to Central Festival) and now also have multiple experiences with their delivery food via Grab.

Pros --

They have excellent proprietary packaging for deliveries and they give you a fancy bag. Everything is as piping hot as it can possibly be.

It's the same food as in the restaurant which I happen to like.

The dishes OTHER than the fried chicken are as good as in the restaurant. A favorite of mine is spicy soft tofu soup. 

Cons --

The Korean fried chicken their obvious main dish just doesn't deliver well! In case you don't this a special kind of fried chicken. It is flavored but it's not really battered. The skin is super crisp when you bite into it. It's very popular for a reason. 

However when delivered without much traffic from Central Festival to Jomtien while the chicken is still warm enough the signature crispy skin just ain't happening! I haven't even bothered microwaving it though I guess I should. I just have assumed that's gone for good.

It ain't cheap.

So I guess I would not advise ordering from there if you want the fried chicken and why would you order from there if you didn't?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't wish to hijack the thread, but after over 360 pages, I'm sure this post is just a quick side discussion.

I have read a lot lately how businesses, all around the world, have been forced to focus on "remote" service delivery, with many of their staff working from home online etc.  Many believe, after the Corona Crisis has passed, businesses will move to adopt this model, to reduce costs, or a mixture, thereof.

Indeed, this thread has now had to focus on take away, rather than in house service and atmosphere.

I am wondering, if restaurants get their take away so well refined during the lock down, will customers simply not attend their restaurant in the future, thus the restaurant misses out on alcohol and drink sales, and, if the take away model is successful, perhaps restaurants will downsize and do away with in house serivce, and just do take away. 

Edited by Leaver

16 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Not sure if I know them all but if I missed any others can pipe in. 

Thank you for posting on topic. 

Grab 

Food panda 

Line used by some places for direct contact 

Lineman

Fb messenger used by some places for direct contact 

Wongnai

Hungry now New one

Some places have their own direct order online apps such as Frasers Jomtien 

What do you order with Lineman ?

And can you confirm that Grab is always the best choice ? or they are similar ?

Is it better to choose a restaurant near where you want the food delivered ?

1 hour ago, hackjam said:

Have had several take aways from Robin Hood Tavern over the past few weeks, just ring in the order and go collect. Looks like they use Grab, as I always see some Grab guys milling about outside.

RHT do many different weekly/daily specials, as well as a decent regular menu. Find their western food one of the best around. No issues with ordering.

Had cod and chips yesterday,  love those homemade hand cut chips, fish was good and their tartar sauce outstanding, good value on Friday special at 249B.

They have some good food but my impression is that their prices on Grab are very inflated, and thus I refuse to order from them on Grab. Also their specials are never listed on Grab.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, balo said:

I doubt it, people go to restaurants to socialize and for the atmosphere. The whole package really. Maybe fewer restaurants in the beginning, then back to normal after a while. 

Sure, but many restaurants are here for tourists, not the expats.  The tourists will not be back any time soon, so I am wondering if some of the restaurants will downsize, and make what they are doing now their business model, until the tourists start coming back. 

Edited by Leaver
  • Sad 1

I think even before this there was already a strong global trend towards more delivery food. A part of this has been the emergence of delivery only kitchens which can compete much better than regular restaurants because of much lower overhead. So yes I think it's obvious that that trend will remain post virus stronger than ever, but that doesn't mean sit down restaurants will go away either.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sarwantsingh/2019/09/09/the-soon-to-be-200b-online-food-delivery-is-rapidly-changing-the-global-food-industry/#6ff0ad9ab1bc

The Soon To Be $200B Online Food Delivery Is Rapidly Changing The Global Food Industry

Edited by Jingthing

7 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I think even before this there was already a strong global trend towards more delivery food. A part of this has been the emergence of delivery only kitchens which can compete much better than regular restaurants because of much lower overhead. So yes I think it's obvious that that trend will reman post virus stronger than ever, but that doesn't mean sit down restaurants will go away either.

I agree.  At the end of all of this, it will be interesting to see which restaurants will open back up, and their business model. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

That does look good, which pizza did you have, No 148??

Did like Punch and Judy for their steak pie, and their Sunday roast a few years back was very good, suspect the police activity with road checks was final nail in P & J coffin. 

Harry Bar soi bukhao.

It is not a bar though.

If coming from pattaya tai end it is shortly after the right hand bend and located on the right, pic. of the Eiffel Tower outside.

They are open for takeaway doing pizza slices ( square actually) and a very large range of pastries.

I have not actually been there but have sampled their wares ( couple of my friends in naklua like long walks and pass by it some days buying a bit  and give me some .I am staying strictly within naklua )

So the pizz square, think only 1 type, tomoto.meat topping, cheese of course.

Within the genre of pizza slices I consider it above  average although my preference is for traditional Italian style thin crust pizza .

Very latge range of pastries, e.g cinnamon Danish, Cherry pastry, apple  croisants etc.

Also some sandwiches ( not tried )

I did not want to ask the price but did so..

Pizza either 20 or 30 baht.

Pastries 20 baht!  Cheapest I have ever heard of ( bar 7/11 etc but talking about a totally different quality level )

They taste nice, maybe slightly small but excellent values.

I cannot really see how they are making a profit but perhaps they are locked in to a lease with no rent relief, making the best of a bad situation.

Kudos from me.  I hope they remain in business for a long time.

A thumbs up from me.

Well worth a try if you are in to what they are selling.

Edited by seasia
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Had an outstanding take away meal from Robin Hood Tavern a few nights ago. Just rand in the order, was told to come to collect in 20min. No hassle.

Ordered the chicken cordon beau, with homemade chips and steamed veg, and also some mushroom sauce.

Just about able to finish the meal. could not fault anything about the meal and reasonably priced at 265B.

Highly recommend.

CCD_IMG_1109.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 4/11/2020 at 4:40 PM, Jingthing said:

I think even before this there was already a strong global trend towards more delivery food. A part of this has been the emergence of delivery only kitchens which can compete much better than regular restaurants because of much lower overhead. So yes I think it's obvious that that trend will remain post virus stronger than ever, but that doesn't mean sit down restaurants will go away either.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sarwantsingh/2019/09/09/the-soon-to-be-200b-online-food-delivery-is-rapidly-changing-the-global-food-industry/#6ff0ad9ab1bc

Maybe for places like Pattaya there should be eat-only restaurants where you order your drinks, and your food is ordered (for you/by you?) from the delivery-only kitchens. So we will see the further development of the Thai-European-Mexican-Indonesian-Eskimo Restaurant etc.

Also