The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

Amazon coffee is priced between 50% and 60% lower that Starbucks...I did a lazy price comparison one day at Tukcom....

I think Amazon has just actually pushed up their prices 5B per coffee, but that’s after years of the same price. Amazon is OK for a cheap half decent iced coffee, but I think Black Canyon tastes better. Don’t really get the prices of Starbucks for Asia, but there you go.

Keep in mind that coffee club does not include 7% vat on their menu prices.  So add that to whatever the menu says.  Their espresso drinks start around 95 not including 7% vat.

Amazon espresso coffee is shit.   Don't know if it's the beans they use or what but their espresso drinks have always been really bitter for some reason.  Also not cheap anymore.  I think I paid around 80 for an espresso drink.

Black Canyon serves a decent cup of espresso but has never been that cheap. Also, you are kind of expected to tip there because of the waitress service.  Yea, you get that little cup of tea and the tiny biscuits but I certainly don't go there for that.  

You can get espresso drinks for 40 baht various places.  My favorite is D Cafe 2nd floor Big C Extra on Klang.  Excellent espresso drinks although they raised their price to 50 baht now.  However, that includes the milk for putting in the coffee. A lot of places charge 10baht extra for that such as at least one of the cheap places on the 1st floor off to the side by the food court. 

There is also a place on 2nd or 3rd floor Central Mall that serves cheap espresso.  There are a bunch scattered around the malls and here and there on the soi's. Not always the best espresso but sometimes it is.

Paying 100 baht or more for an espresso drink in Thailand is a ripoff.

Yep, D Cafe and Benjamit also gets my vote

35 minutes ago, AlexCanada said:

Guess I won't be returning to either.  Mediocre food but good value at the special pricing only.  

Hopefully Lone Star next door still continues with their specials.  Their beef tenderloin is actually decent for the price.  I just hate the place because the staff their sucks really bad.  

Well, I'm not really a fancy steakhouse guy but I do like the BBQ restaurant and think the food there is better than mediocre. But like you, they lost me with this change. 

• Like 2

You do not come to thailand for the beef, full stop. I'll never understand people who come to thailand then constantly complain about the beef but keep eating it.  Stop eating it and then you will not have anything to complain about, otherwise you are guaranteed to be disappointed more often then not.  Even at places that specialize in imported beef for top dollar sometimes.

Edited by lapd

15 hours ago, lapd said:

You do not come to thailand for the beef, full stop. I'll never understand people who come to thailand then constantly complain about the beef but keep eating it.  Stop eating it and then you will not have anything to complain about, otherwise you are guaranteed to be disappointed more often then not.  Even at places that specialize in imported beef for top dollar sometimes.

I live here and I do need my beef.  No doubt my expectations here are low.  Australian beef is tough imo if not cooked perfectly.  I was recently in Japan and enjoyed real Kobe beef a couple of times.  

• Like 1

Mirch Masala

Indian all vegetarian

Indian style Chinese dishes as well

2nd road, central Pattaya, east side of road, south of but fairly close to Pattaya Klang

First time in this place. Prices on the lower end of moderate for the local market.

Crowded with south Asian people which is a good sign. I noticed thalis in metal trays on a nearby table -- I'm assuming cheap but didn't look particularly appealing. 

Ordered paneer tikki 110 and regular portion of dal rice (described as "special" on the menu)160.

A feature of this place is that for many dishes they offer a smaller sized portion (but much higher than half price of regular).

Turned out they couldn't do the tikki but was offered paneer pakora. Instead I opted for vegetable samosa (2 for 69 baht).

The samosas were really quite good. Large sized, freshly cooked, good flavor, and not greasy at all. 

Full marks.

The dal rice on the other hand would have been quite good but it was over-salted under the line of being inedible but still annoying. 

Service was not warm. 

So I'm conflicted. Go again only for the samosas? Or take a chance with some over dishes and hope for the best?

https://lovepattayathailand.com/listing/new-mirch-masala/

Edited by Jingthing

Thai Marche

"A Culinary Destination"

https://www.facebook.com/thaimarche

Also opening "soon" in North Pattaya, next to Tiffany's show, easy walking distance to Terminal 21 mall is Thai Marche. It will be located in a dramatic, architecturally interesting new building. What is it exactly? Best guess is some kind of fun luxury food court / market concept.

Marche is French for market.

An example of a food hall Marche in Montreal --

https://montreal.eater.com/2017/11/14/16646438/marche-artisans-food-hall-downtown-montreal-fairmont

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Thai Marche

"A Culinary Destination"

https://www.facebook.com/thaimarche

Also opening "soon" in North Pattaya, next to Tiffany's show, easy walking distance to Terminal 21 mall is Thai Marche. It will be located in a dramatic, architecturally interesting new building. What is it exactly? Best guess is some kind of fun luxury food court / market concept.

Marche is French for market.

An example of a food hall Marche in Montreal --

https://montreal.eater.com/2017/11/14/16646438/marche-artisans-food-hall-downtown-montreal-fairmont

To make a go of it it will need much better pricing that anything available at the Queen E. There were a few years when I stayed there at least a week per month but would never eat there. Much better options down the elevator to the subway, Place Ville Marie Mall or the train station levels. The baht bus trip from Jomtien Beach will be a bargain at ฿10 though.

On September 13, 2018 at 7:25 PM, AlexCanada said:

I live here and I do need my beef.  No doubt my expectations here are low.  Australian beef is tough imo if not cooked perfectly.  I was recently in Japan and enjoyed real Kobe beef a couple of times.  

There was a butcher between Pattaya and Jomtien called Hickory. Their Australian beef was very tender. I would say more so than back in Western Canada. A nice thick ribeye would run you about ฿650 so expensive. Unfortunately they moved near Suk and went strictly commerical sales.

9 hours ago, pegman said:

To make a go of it it will need much better pricing that anything available at the Queen E. There were a few years when I stayed there at least a week per month but would never eat there. Much better options down the elevator to the subway, Place Ville Marie Mall or the train station levels. The baht bus trip from Jomtien Beach will be a bargain at ฿10 though.

Well at this point I have no idea about the details of what this place will be. Based on the new building, it's clear it's a very ambitious project. I noticed on their FB page that they're looking to hire a head Thai chef. Does that mean it will only be Thai food? That seems doubtful. 

Noodles with peanut sauce are not on the menu. Perhaps what you got was Zha Jiang Mian (noodles with a dark bean sauce, pork, and vegetables) pictured before. 

The problem there is the noodles aren't that good. Zha Jiang Mian is sort of a Chinese version of spaghetti Bolognese but given the history of noodles it would be more fair to say spaghetti Bolognese is sort of an Italians version of Zha Jiang Mian.

The wontons in peanut sauce is not listed on the menu with the words peanut sauce. It's a picture menu. Find the 100 baht dish that looks like wonton in a sauce and point to that. The English description on the menu is mixed wonton. Or show them the picture from this thread. The picture on the menu is not as colorful as the actual dish.

I also ate there today and didn't order the wonton in peanut sauce dish so maybe they indeed were out of it and you got noodles in the same peanut sauce that they would normally use for the wontons. (Again, not on the menu.)

Amusing when I walked in a some nice Chinese man leaving surprised to see a white face was trying to sell me on eating there even though I was already in the door and heading to a table with authority. He said really good Chinese food. Yeah dude and you don't need to be Chinese to know it!

Still I'm disappointed that they don't make their noodles and I was told they won't be doing do because the kitchen is too small.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Some more detail on the menu.

They do have a noodle dish called Noodles with scallion oil and soy sauce. Perhaps that is actually the noodles with peanut sauce? Can't see the price, maybe 75.

The 120 baht Zha Jiang Mian is labelled Noodles with soy bean paste which is accurate enough as the sauce is supposed to contain soy bean paste. 

The dumplings that everyone seems to like (different dumplings than the won tons served in the mixed won ton dish 100 baht) steamed at 80 and 120 boiled are also sold FRIED for 100. At least I assume they are the same dumplings. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Bonchon

Korean Fried Chicken

Central Pattaya Beach Mall

Bonchon is an international chain specializing in Korean style fried chicken but offers many other dishes as well. I consider it an excellent chain with excellent Korean fried chicken.

Just posting in case you haven't seen that they've added a new flavor for the chicken. Before it was only honey soy and spicy hot but now they've got crunchy garlic. I've preferred the spicy hot flavor before but I tried the crunchy garlic and I think I like it the best. For me the honey soy flavor is too sweet. 

So if you haven't been in a while you might want to give their new flavor a go. For a large chain that has kept to just two flavors before, adding a new one is kind of a big deal. 

La Taverna del Passatore

Long running, well regarded, casual authentic Italian restaurant in a soi off Soi Buakhao near the hospital is now in it's LAST WEEK. ????

But don't despair, it will be rebranded and also include some American food, coming to Soi Lengkee also off Soi Buakhao.

https://www.facebook.com/latavernadelpassatore

• Like 1