The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

KFC new menu item.  You have to admit that looks good.  My idea is if everyone orders it and sends a photo to KFC they might actually make it look like that.  Didn't taste bad but nothing like the picture.  149 baht with coke and fries.

ch1.png

Chizza-3.png

Edited by marcusarelus
  • Haha 1

On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 1:10 PM, Jingthing said:

New Delhi coming to Pattaya?

The remarkable explosion of Indian restaurants in Pattaya is old news. It's almost ridiculous. Yes, I agree with the general opinion that most of them are not particularly good. But some of them are at least decent.

So what's up?

Two New Delhi chains coming to Pattaya.

I have no idea of the specific business relationships between the Indian companies and these two new places but they are at least suggesting such a relationship.

First one is Chowringhee Lane near the Fascino pharmacy on Pattaya Klang (not North, Klang).

This place is not open yet. The brand specializes in Kolkata style kathi rolls but is from New Delhi not Kolkata.

http://www.34chowringheelane.com/

The second one has recently just opened.

It's Chicken Khurana.

Pattaya Soi 16 between 2nd road (Marine Plaza Hotel) and Walking Street, closer to Walking Street, near Indian night clubs.

This is a nighttime and ALL NIGHT restaurant. 

They have a cool looking gaudy sign.

Sadly I have missed trying it two times already as I arrived too early.

Now I know the hours. 

They open roughly at 8 P.M. and open all night.

Prices are moderate for the local Indian restaurant market which means cheap Charlies should not apply. They have a surprising complete Northern Indian menu, veg. and non-veg.

They also have Tibetan Momos (dumplings) made fresh, both with chicken and veg. 

OK, I have now had the chance to try Chicken Khurana (which is very close to Walking Street) two times.

The quick review is that I found the food very good but not mind blowing.

Yes I have had mind blowing Indian food in my life so I'm spoiled that way.

First of all, arrive as late as you can.

I was there last night at 10 PM and they hadn't even turned on the tandoori oven yet so they couldn't do a tandoor roti.

As far as the Momos on the menu, basically forget about them. I was honestly told nobody orders them (told to me as I was ordering them, what am I, chopped liver?) so that the only way is an advance order. I don't do advance orders just as I don't do queues for food, sorry.

So I have tried all these dishes --

Tandoori aloo, excellent and only 69 baht. Large pieces of potato with skin on with a tasty stuffing included some paneer cheese. I had this dish only one time before anywhere at a vegetarian restaurant in Pattaya, and Khurana's version was miles ahead. 

Rajma masala (pinto beans w/ curry sauce gravy, classic Northern dish) 159, very good, among the  better versions I have had locally

Chapati -- very good

Nan -- barely average

Plain basmati rice -- hard to mess that up and they didn't

Chili paneer cheese 119, not sure if this is usually a tandoor dish which I thought it was supposed to be but as the oven wasn't on, I got kind of an Indian Chinese stir fry w/ onions and green peppers. No complaints. Very good flavor.

Chicken kadai curry 279. I prefer chicken on the bone but I decided not to specify to see how they normally do it. Indeed it was chicken on the bone. I know many westerners always prefer filet though, so if that's what you want, you can ask. The chicken pieces were good and meaty but meat portion a bit sparse. The gravy was very thick and rich with very good flavor but for me lacking the complexity that enters into mind blowing territory. So overall very good is all. 

Their prices are pretty normal for Pattaya Indian food, meaning yeah it's very hard to eat cheaply. 

If you're willing to pay those normal prices there, you could do much worse than this place, and in fact I would recommend that you try it. Very good Indian food is nothing to sneeze at.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, mogandave said:

If I enter an Indian restaurant and they do no not have the oven going I leave, and tell them why.

Well yeah of course if you want to eat tandoori items. Otherwise, it's irrelevant. I should have asked them if they did the chili paneer differently because the oven wasn't on. For all I know, I got the version they always serve.

The place is already kind of idiosyncratic with their late opening and being open all night. I wonder if it's crowded at 5 in the morning.

In any case, both from tasting the food and observing the chefs in the open kitchen I'm satisfied that this is among the better Indian restaurants in town, even with the odd bits.

Edited by Jingthing

1 hour ago, mogandave said:

If I can’t have fresh naan, with it, I don’t want it.

If it doesn’t cost them anything to leave it off, they’ll never have it on.

I understand. I've walked out of places too for that reason. The first time it was on and I tried the nan and it wasn't very good, so I wouldn't order nan there again anyway. The second visit I really didn't need it, substituting a chapati instead of tandoor roti was OK with me. Obviously if you go in wanting tandoori chicken or something then it's definitely walk out time. I'm not as committed to always having nan as you seem to be. 

small update on Shaxian Snacks (Chinese noodles and dumplings mostly), 2nd road, North Pattaya, previously reviewed here

There were some members predicting a quick demise for this place. I think a lot of places were hit somewhat by the wave of interest in new eating places at the Terminal 21 mall. Anyway, the update is the place is thriving, often crowded, and they have even hired more staff. Mostly Chinese customers as you would expect but no problem reading the menu or being served with English. Some of the issues they had before such as not having water to sell appear solved.

I did have an issue eating there tonight. There was a new menu item with picture that showed a split bowl with one side wonton in soup and the other side dry noodles with soybean and pork sauce for 120. So I tried it and what I got was a large soup bowl with noodles and wonton, no sauce for noodles as there would be in the dry dish (which is on the menu separately as a dry dish). I complained not expecting much and indeed they just dumped the sauce for the dry noodles on top of the soup. That is definitely not normal but sometimes you have to eat the mistakes and it was still fine eating. You could get what they promised by ordering separate dishes. So now you know. If you do order it, there is nothing wrong with soup served with noodles and wonton but if you do, don't expect the sauce on the dry noodles served as falsely promoted on the menu.

7 hours ago, Jingthing said:

small update on Shaxian Snacks (Chinese noodles and dumplings mostly), 2nd road, North Pattaya, previously reviewed here

There were some members predicting a quick demise for this place. I think a lot of places were hit somewhat by the wave of interest in new eating places at the Terminal 21 mall. Anyway, the update is the place is thriving, often crowded, and they have even hired more staff. Mostly Chinese customers as you would expect but no problem reading the menu or being served with English. Some of the issues they had before such as not having water to sell appear solved.

I did have an issue eating there tonight. There was a new menu item with picture that showed a split bowl with one side wonton in soup and the other side dry noodles with soybean and pork sauce for 120. So I tried it and what I got was a large soup bowl with noodles and wonton, no sauce for noodles as there would be in the dry dish (which is on the menu separately as a dry dish). I complained not expecting much and indeed they just dumped the sauce for the dry noodles on top of the soup. That is definitely not normal but sometimes you have to eat the mistakes and it was still fine eating. You could get what they promised by ordering separate dishes. So now you know. If you do order it, there is nothing wrong with soup served with noodles and wonton but if you do, don't expect the sauce on the dry noodles served as falsely promoted on the menu.

Often crowded?  Considering the place can only hold 4-8 people that is not saying much.

I think the dumpling place in T21 is considerably better.  Try the Xiao Long Bao which are a hard to find and famous dumpling with chicken soup inside.

Edited by lapd

Shaxian Snacks has about 6 TABLES depending on how they configure them if there is a large group. 2 of those are outdoors. So the capacity is about 25 to 30 people (I think they have a way of squeezing in larger families, etc.).  Yes that's a small restaurant but a BUSY small restaurant. I pass by there frequently on the way to T21. Sometimes every table is taken but almost always 2 or 3 tables are occupied. Personally I don't ever want to sit outside on that road.

As far as comparing Shaxian Snacks to Jiao zi guan in the T21 mall, well, in many ways that's comparing apples and oranges. First of all the style of dumplings is not the same, and also the dumplings at Jiao zi guan are more expensive. I like Jiao zi guan's basic boiled Northern style dumplings, like pork and celery, but found their Xiao Long Bao average at best and yes there is soup inside from meat aspic but it is not chicken soup. I do not recommend their fish stuffed dumplings which sound better than they tasted. I have eaten at Jiao zi guan several times and have experienced extreme inconsistencies ordering the same dishes. Sometime very good, sometimes quite poor for the same dish. Also they have a much more extensive menu than Shaxian snacks including numerous main stir fried dishes, Chinese vegetables, and even a Sichuan fish hot pot (which I do not recommend). 

I wouldn't say one of these restaurants is "better" than the other. Different menus, different scopes, different prices, etc. Depends on what you feel like eating that day more than anything else. 

Edited by Jingthing

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 7:04 AM, AlexCanada said:

Absolutely agree.  Excellent naan is so important for me.  Anyone know where to get the best naan in Pattaya?

That's a good question. No particular place comes to mind. Perhaps others can say and I hope they do. I like a smashing naan as much as the next fella but I suppose as I've lived in Pattaya I've noticed the Indians don't order naans nearly as much as westerners, and also having been served meh naans so often here, I've become OK with rotis. I'd rather have a decent roti than a meh naan.  So a naan queen, I ain't. 

The Tikka center across from Soi Honey on Soi Bukow makes excellent Nan...Fresh and hot every time....The Tikka center has been my go-to Indian restaurant for years... They did just raise the price of the Nan from 20 baht to 30 baht.....They are getting greedy.... 

But they do give you some very good green chutney for free.....

Interesting. I tried that place two or three times years ago. Was not impressed with their curries and don't remember their naan being especially good but perhaps I just forgot. I got the impression they were catering to British tastes. Well I'm not British, so … 

BTW most any Indian restaurant offers condiments like green mint chutney, pickles, and sometimes tamarind. The ones catering more to Arabs tend to offer a raw vegetable platter as well.

The Thai Express branch on Naklua Road looks like it is closed. They took over their premises from a Coffee Club branch that closed; must be a year or so ago. They are next door to Kiss and an unnamed Thai resto next place along, so were always up against it. There are 3 new Chinese places opened up in the area lately, maybe another is on the way.

The Thai Express branch on Naklua Road looks like it is closed. They took over their premises from a Coffee Club branch that closed; must be a year or so ago. They are next door to Kiss and an unnamed Thai resto next place along, so were always up against it. There are 3 new Chinese places opened up in the area lately, maybe another is on the way.

Three new Chinese places near Naklua road? I'm interested. Could you more specific about where they are? Thanks.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Three new Chinese places near Naklua road? I'm interested. Could you more specific about where they are? Thanks.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

One outside Windmill Hotel is a seafood place - pick your own from tanks. One opposite Kiss may be Chinese buffet joint like a poor mans Shabushi. One at what used be Shamalamadingdong is Chinese fast food which opened, then closed then opened again. Also one further up on the RHS toward Ayira Palace hotel. This seems to be very quiet and is more downscale than a restaurant. I would call it a caff. 

That is 4 in all, though I am not quite sure about 1. They are all on the main road and there is at least one more on the sois; one "Chinese" seems to be for coach trippers and is Russian/SE Asian ownership.

I cannot vouch for my info being 100% accurate as places can open and shut at a rapid pace and a Chinese resto may have non Chinese owners. Who knows?

You could get a baht bus to the Ayaira Palace hotel and take a stroll back towards Dolphin Circus. I know it is a bit of a trek for you but if you get a good meal out of it it might be worthwhile.

I would say that most of the Chinese up this way are monied and younger. Plenty of them in my condo complex, no problems that I have seen or heard and plenty in the hotels which are mostly pretty decent. Some places off Naklua Road cater to the bus tours. Could be sex shows or magic shows or magic sex shows. One or two eating places. I would steer clear as packs of dogs run free on the big car park.

Good hunting and bon appetit.

Edited by champers
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks. I used to go up there fairly often so it's not really off my radar. Lately I've been stopping at T21 though. Actually the dumpling place we've been talking about in T21 is related to a Naklua Road Chinese restaurant that either used to exist or still does. But it sounds like there may be some new stuff to sniff around up there, so I will have a look sometime and see what I can find. 

Cheers.