The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

47 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Thanks. I used to go up there fairly often so it's not really off my radar. Lately I've been stopping at T21 though. Actually the dumpling place we've been talking about in T21 is related to a Naklua Road Chinese restaurant that either used to exist or still does. But it sounds like there may be some new stuff to sniff around up there, so I will have a look sometime and see what I can find. 

Cheers.

The trend is for more, in my opinion. The Brighton Grand hotel has been open a year and the Aiyara Palace is completing an extension. Both have many Chinese patrons. You will see many Chinese in the area. As well as Chinese restauraunts benefitting, so too do others such as the German and Italian ones. Some of the younger Chinese also hit the beer bars at night. Young Chinese people are well educated and well travelled. Thousands, if not millions, study abroad. A week in Pattaya holds no fears for them. 

• Like 1

I know I'm odd, but I wouldn't mind if 90 percent of the restaurants in town were Chinese, so bring them on! I guess this could have been predicted but years ago during the "Russian occupation" I really didn't see it coming. I've even noticed the baht bus minders on South Pattaya road have stopped saying Davai! 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Surely the 'educated' non-tour group adventurous and independent Chinese tourist are here to experience Thailand, Eating food they can have back home must be pretty low on their agenda, the big restaurant for the coach horde I can understand, but I won't hold out hope for Authentic Chinese restaurant that caters for walk in customs. But looking at T21, with 1 dumpling place and the other in the food court, there may be hope that it could stick around. 

6 hours ago, digbeth said:

Surely the 'educated' non-tour group adventurous and independent Chinese tourist are here to experience Thailand, Eating food they can have back home must be pretty low on their agenda, the big restaurant for the coach horde I can understand, but I won't hold out hope for Authentic Chinese restaurant that caters for walk in customs. But looking at T21, with 1 dumpling place and the other in the food court, there may be hope that it could stick around. 

There are already several authentic Chinese restaurants in town that cater mostly to independent Chinese tourists, walk ins not tours. I've mentioned several but haven't been to them all. I'm not saying it's the new Hong Kong or ever will be here but compared to five or ten years ago it's bloody fantastic for Chinese food lovers. Many of these places also have some Thai dishes folded into the menu but based on my observations the Chinese are mostly just ordering Chinese food. 

Edited by Jingthing

On 12/12/2018 at 6:04 PM, Jingthing said:

Possibly exciting new restaurant on the way.
Mr. Pho as far as I pho the first dedicated Vietnamese Pho specialty restaurant ever in Pattaya is being prepared for opening I don't know when.
Its on Tappraya on the bottom area of the hill between Pattaya and Jomtien near the well known Residence Garden hotel/restaurant.

There were people eating in this place today, so I suppose that it's open.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

There were people eating in this place today, so I suppose that it's open.

I had noticed they've started to turn on the lights so it did look imminent. However I have gone into new restaurants before with people in there and found they were staff/owners/insiders eating or meeting and not really open yet. So based on what you said, probably open, but the proof is in the soup. Thanks. 

Edited by Jingthing

Misoya is overpriced. Some broths are good. Their theme is miso but within that there are a lot of variation choices. I agree Korakuen is good, nice chewy noodles, and also well priced. Have yet to try the gimmick place with the steamers. Udon ain't ramen but that Udon place is decent too.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Sad 1

Patrick's Belgian ("not a Sunday roast") Sunday buffet has been temporarily suspended for the duration of the high season (specific dates not specified).

I found out the hard way so now you don't have to. :sad:

I was surprised to see it shut because the last time I went the place was packed for the buffet. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Patrick's Belgian ("not a Sunday roast") Sunday buffet has been temporarily suspended for the duration of the high season (specific dates not specified).

I found out the hard way so now you don't have to. :sad:

I was surprised to see it shut because the last time I went the place was packed for the buffet. 

I was told the owner did it in purpose because some regular customers was not behaving well and "stole" food from the buffet table. With expensive meat it was not profitable. 

• Like 1

I was told the owner did it in purpose because some regular customers was not behaving well and "stole" food from the buffet table. With expensive meat it was not profitable. 

Then why open it again later?
I don't see how people could steal food from a buffet. It's all you can eat.
However I am guessing the problem might have been people picking meat chunks out of stews leaving only sauces.
Anyway hope they do resume the service.
Perhaps they can hire a buffet policeman.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

What does 'After You' in Terminal 21 sell that is so popular, that there is always a long queue waiting for whatever it is ?

Let me guess. Sugar and fat?

It's a good question but I guess the answers are probably obvious --

They are a well known brand from Bangkok

They sell desserts

People like desserts

They have a reputation (which I can't personally verify) for having really good desserts

Similar I think to the early weeks at nearby Koi The (tea). There were long lines during the early weeks. They do have good drinks and I've had them a number of times but the lines were there likely because of their brand reputation from Bangkok. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I don't see how people could steal food from a buffet. It's all you can eat.
However I am guessing the problem might have been people picking meat chunks out of stews leaving only sauces.

I think it was a new regular customer who "abused" the buffet.

So the owner was fed up and choose to close the buffet temporarily.

6 hours ago, Jingthing said:

They are a well known brand from Bangkok

They sell desserts

People like desserts

They have a reputation (which I can't personally verify) for having really good desserts

Thais loves sweet desserts, and they have a reputation from the big malls in Bangkok.

I find it amusing , the desserts they sell are too sweet for me and it does not look healthy.

I rarely see farangs inside. And who wants to wait for a table just for some honey cake with cream or whatever. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, balo said:

Thais loves sweet desserts, and they have a reputation from the big malls in Bangkok.

I find it amusing , the desserts they sell are too sweet for me and it does not look healthy.

I rarely see farangs inside. And who wants to wait for a table just for some honey cake with cream or whatever. 

It's also my impression that their dessert offerings are generally quite LARGE sized meant for multiple people to share.  

19 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Let me guess. Sugar and fat?

It's a good question but I guess the answers are probably obvious --

Thanks, I was just being curious.

There was no chance I was going to join the queue to find out.

Edited by TaaSaparot

14 minutes ago, NaDu said:

hello, do you know any cheap cheese/meat platter as the one at Soi Khao Talo (meeting point german restaurant). This is a real deal and haven't found it anywhere closer. Thank you.

I'm told that the Berliner restaurant does something like that. It's next door to the Sportsman in Soi 13.

17 hours ago, balo said:

Yes.

I think this country also drinks more of those sweet 1200 calorie coffee/tea drinks then any place I know.

On 1/21/2019 at 10:56 AM, TaaSaparot said:

What does 'After You' in Terminal 21 sell that is so popular, that there is always a long queue waiting for whatever it is ?

Everyone every place I go is crowded.

It is not inexpensive from Thai standards, but they really seem to love the place. It is good but I would never wait in line for dessert Dairy Queen can satisfy me just fine.

8 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

Not true, the owner has posted why it has been temporarily postponed on his FB page.

OK I am not an active FB user, what does he say about this ? 

37 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Suspended for high season.

Yeah that's what it says but people can still wonder what's the story behind the story. It's hard to believe it's about one abusive customer, they could just ban such a person. The only ideas I have are they get enough regular menu customers for high season Sunday lunches and/or the staff is burnt out by heavy crowds on weekend nights and need a rest.

Edited by Jingthing

15 hours ago, Jingthing said:

The only ideas I have are they get enough regular menu customers for high season Sunday lunches and/or the staff is burnt out by heavy crowds on weekend nights and need a rest.

Pretty much what he said.

Will return in March.