The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

On 1/12/2019 at 12:55 PM, marcusarelus said:

KFC new menu item.  You have to admit that looks good.  My idea is if everyone orders it and sends a photo to KFC they might actually make it look like that.  Didn't taste bad but nothing like the picture.  149 baht with coke and fries.

ch1.png

Chizza-3.png

Catching up after a long absence on this thread.  OMG, I tried that "CHIZZA" and gagged.  The cheese/sauce that's supposed to be the pizza touch was about 25% of the size shown in that photo.  The breading on the chicken pieces was way too much: a cross section was about 2/3 breading and 1/3 chicken, and the breading was *soaked* with oil.  I am not a fussy eater, and actually enjoy a fix of fast-food/junk food from time to time, but that CHIZZA was atrocious!  (This was at the KFC at Big C Xtra/HomePro on Pattaya Klang.)

My previous KFC fix seems to have been dropped from the menu:  Thai green curry/chicken/rice bowl.  All they had was some other spicy chicken/rice bowl.

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, wpcoe said:

a cross section was about 2/3 breading and 1/3 chicken, and the breading was *soaked* with oil. 

Yes, KFC. Never understood why people like eating cardboard boxes with a tiny sliver of chicken in it. Haven't tried in other countries so not sure if it's better there.

T21 Food Snippets

Palo Palo (Bangkok brand) Italian by Pan Pan has been rebranded to Marino's by Pan Pan. The pizza has not changed from Palo Palo style, not sure about the rest of the menu.

The Chinese "maybe hand pulled noodles" place on the view side, San Francisco floor is looking like it will FINALLY open soon as menu signs are up outside and they have built the seats inside. But it has rebranded from the original name and it won't based on the outside menus be a hand pulled noodles place. Instead it appears they will specialize in TAIWAN food snacks and smaller dishes. Which sounds very interesting in itself. The outside menus are in Thai and Chinese only (no English) but they do have pictures.

Yoshinoya

Japanese fast food beef bowl, etc. international chain

New menu item -- MALA (Chinese spicy Sichuan flavor) beef and pork dons, about 150

I plan to try soon.

Kin Kao

Higher end Thai regional food chain restaurant

"Amazing" experience there.

I "reviewed" this place before and I liked it. The only downside for me is that the prices have plus plus.

I am attracted to their SOUTHERN Thai food menu but they have different regions.

Before I had the classic sour yellow southern Thai curry with fish and coconut shoots. It was excellent and when I asked for it very spicy I definitely go it very spicy.

This time I tried another southern fish curry, made with cumin spice and some green leaves stuff.

When I ordered it the waitress seemed concerned and warned me it was spicy. OK, that's cute, but I assured her about four times in both English and Thai that not only do I want it spicy, I want it cooked very spicy. 

So the dish arrives and it's freakin' bland!

So the waitress comes over and says "too spicy?" and I say no, not spicy at all. Yes, I was pissed especially as this place is not cheap but I didn't express any anger (just resignation, it happened again). 

Her response was, Oh we can redo it.

I said, it's too late, all you're going to do is add stuff to the current dish and then the fish will get overcooked. 

She said no, we can redo the dish!

When was this last time that happened to me in Thailand? I can't even remember. Almost always a fix just means some lazy ass trick back in the kitchen so it's usually wiser not to even ask. 

So that offer impressed me and I said, OK, yes, thank you. 

When the new dish arrived I could tell just by looking at it that it had much more spice and I asked what happened, did you tell the cook I'm a farang?

She openly admitted the chef saw me and thought farang no like spicy food. Doing me a favor he thought. That's always the excuse.

It happens often, particularly in Indian restaurants, but it's pleasing when they admit it.

Overall, stupid move on their part not listening to me, but perhaps, just perhaps they'll listen to the next farang ordering spicy food, and the fact that they graciously redid the dish (without double charging I suppose I must add) is a sign of quite a good restaurant.

Two "Finds" from North Pattaya CHINATOWN, one inside the outdoor complex and one standalone full restaurant across the street.

In case you don't know it, Pattaya Chinatown is on 2nd road, east side, between Marina Mall and T21 mall. You can't miss it. 

As I've mentioned before my impression of the gaudy North Pattaya Chinatown complex is that it's largely a sort of tourist trap for Chinese tourists with overpriced mediocre Chinese food and Thai seafood sold with Chinese language menus.

I still think that. There are so many small restaurants there, with the seating mostly in the central outdoor area, and it's clear some of the restaurants are directly related (you can tell looking at the same menus).

So overall, not impressed, especially in today's much more Chinese Pattaya where it's not particularly hard to find actually decent Chinese food at non-inflated prices.

But once in a while I feel I need to have a sniff around that Chinatown area to see if I can find any exceptions to my overall and still held impression.

Well, I have found two. One I haven't tried yet and one that I tried.

The one I haven't tried yet is literally in the Chinatown complex. It doesn't have an English name. To find it, enter the complex and it will be on your right I think more than halfway towards the end of it. The picture here should guide you.

fronrchin.jpg.d4d75c12512b335812908a1616aca4ad.jpg

Why do I think this place is possibly an exception?

Two reasons. I looked at the menu and the prices were noticeably lower than the same or similar dishes at other complex restaurants.

Secondly, I had a look at some of their dishes on the table and they looked to be at least good enough for the price, possibly better.

Examples of dishes on their authentic Chinese menu --

Dry Pot Sichuan Mala Cauliflower 180

Fragrant Sparerib 200

Gele (hot and spicy) Mountain Chicken 220

Sizzling bean curd 160

Then there was the place that I actually tried. It's not literally in the complex but across the road. To find it, it's the place just to the left of a money exchange booth. 

When approaching this place if you're not Chinese you will either not be shown the Chinese food menu or if you're looking at it, multiple people will run up to you and push the Thai food menu in your face. Try it. It's funny. It actually happened to me four times including after I sat down.

menuchi.jpg.a462b6712909feb16bc64cf5deb4e393.jpg

I overcame that and managed to place a large order. Note there are two prices given, small and large. This is wonderful if you want to try multiple dishes and a great feature of this place that most don't have. 

Mustard greens with minced pork 100/180

Not pictured

Dry Pot Sichuan Potato Slices small size order 150/??

pot.jpg.d9bb3c0221f1f04bd0e2e5791211c29e.jpg

Chicken pieces topped with spicy stuff small size order 100/150

chick.jpg.e43954ff5c5faa0beea5a39ae4811d58.jpg

As I ordered the latter two spicy they went overboard and made the mustard greens one spicy too which I didn't want but you can't win them all. All of the food was good enough for the price. Nothing to write home about, no dish that you'd need to order every time, but really nothing to complain about either. 

The mustard greens dish is a basic homey dish which would have been exactly what you would expect if they hadn't overspiced it.

The dry potato pot was hot pepper spicy only, no Sichuan peppers. I was told at another Sichuan restaurant that dish isn't supposed to have Sichuan peppers so possibly it was correct, and I didn't specify that I wanted them anyway. It was a little more oily than I think Sichuan dry hot pots should be. 

The chicken dish was my favorite. I'm used to such dishes being served with cold poached chicken though and with more of a red oil sauce. This wasn't that, it was hot chicken but I liked the spicing and there was a pleasant flavor of sesame oil.

So this place that I tried was good enough to merit a return which is more than I can say for any other place in the Pattaya Chinatown complex (or near) that I've tried. I'm optimistic about the place I mentioned in the complex as well.

Perhaps just perhaps with the explosion of Chinese restaurant competition around town, the more tourist trappy places in this complex will be forced to up their game and lower their prices and/or improve their food! Probably not. 

There is a new Vietnamese restaurant just opened up it's doors. 

Location is on Thappraya rd , only 200 meters from the intersection to S-Pattaya. 

I only looked inside , and they seem to offer genuine Vietnamese dishes, sandwiches and coffee.   Someone need to visit and check them out , I might try a lunch there next time on my way to Jomtien. 

2019-01-31-09-10-21.jpg

1 hour ago, balo said:

Location is on Thappraya rd , only 200 meters from the intersection to S-Pattaya. 

I only looked inside , and they seem to offer genuine Vietnamese dishes, sandwiches and coffee.   Someone need to visit and check them out , I might try a lunch there next time on my way to Jomtien. 

Just go back a page.

On 1/21/2019 at 10:56 AM, TaaSaparot said:

What does 'After You' in Terminal 21 sell that is so popular, that there is always a long queue waiting for whatever it is ?

Every After You in any mall is always busy.  If I were to open a food place in Thailand it would be an After You.

Well, I decided to give Pho Mr. Nam a try yesterday afternoon.

It's probably only me, but I have an aversion to restaurants that are built as an aircon restaurant, but then decide they don't want to turn it on.

Even though yesterday was not particularly warm, the restaurant was as I expected when I entered, hot, stuffy, and uncomfortable.

There was 3 wall fans (one directed to where the staff do their thing) that was totally inadequate IMO.

Add in, the noise of the traffic reverberating around the restaurant from the open doors, and I decided it was not for me.

Being the only customer, I informed the Owner (I presume) why I was not ordering, and he said "Up to You"

1 hour ago, TaaSaparot said:

There was 3 wall fans (one directed to where the staff do their thing) that was totally inadequate IMO.

So why didn't you ask them to switch on the air con ?  They do it to save on the electricity . This is normal in restaurants that are not busy with customers.

I have experienced this many times myself and everytime they turn it on when you ask them . 

On 2/2/2019 at 7:37 AM, balo said:

2019-01-31-09-10-21.jpg

hello, where exactly, I cannot find it, thanks.

5 hours ago, balo said:

So why didn't you ask them to switch on the air con ?  They do it to save on the electricity . This is normal in restaurants that are not busy with customers.

I have experienced this many times myself and everytime they turn it on when you ask them . 

"Up to You" !

Futai Noodle House

T21 Mall

San Francisco Floor

2nd road view side

It finally opened! :partytime2:

It took long enough but I'm here to say it was worth the wait.

Futai Noodle House specializes in noodle dishes and a wide variety of TAIWANESE regional snacks and specialities. Not everything is Taiwan style food. There is a section of the menu for the Taiwanese small dishes but some other dishes not labeled that way are also Taiwan style such as the braised pork rice and beef noodle soup. A number of the dishes are similar to some of the dishes at Shaxian Snacks (previously reviewed) but there are no dumplings. 

This location is the first and only one of this brand. There is a possible plan to open also in Bangkok. How do you like them apples? Usually it's the other way around.

You are given two menus, food and also for drinks/desserts.

The drinks and desserts include Taiwan style options as well and they really did look good but I haven't tried yet.

I noticed many of the tables were only ordering drinks or desserts!

This restaurant is super accessible. Not only pictures but also English text.

Tax but not service charge is added to checks. I had to ask because the receipt is only in Chinese.

You might be wondering about the NOODLES, the namesake of the restaurant.

I haven't tried yet but I did find out the sad news that they are not hand pulled noodles, not made in house, but that they bring in fresh noodles from "the factory." In any case I would be surprised if this place would serve poor noodles but I was hoping for freshly made in the restaurant. So nope on that.

I went with a sampler of four different "small" dishes mostly from the Taiwan labeled part of the menu.

They were 

Chicken pork rice 85

Noodporkrice.jpg.82c2b8ba867ba5d60dbe95ba25d0a02c.jpg

I only chose the combination because I was getting braised pork with a separate greens dish. Nice flavor served on a kind of Japanese style rice. It was good to have the rice for the other greens dish as well.

Dried squid "thick" soup 80

Noodlessquid.jpg.9dcee548801200562d5cfffd28ab37ed.jpg

Shaxian snacks also has a number of these small bowl herbal soups.

Based on the squid soup, this places are better because of larger portion and more ingredients inside, and greater choice of soup options. 

The broth isn't thick so I think they meant lots of ingredients in a smaller bowl with not so much broth.   The broth is rich though so the small portion packs a punch.

Boiled greens w/ braised pork 50

That says it all.

Noodlesveg.jpg.0cc8c08eb0a77f45ecea76a7a8a8486e.jpg

Fried chicken filet 80

Noodlesfriedchick.jpg.3984b982c8498b745b92364c286284f3.jpg

This was kind of a surprise.

Such a big portion!

This was pounded down meat so maybe not as big as it looks, but still quite big for 80 baht.

This appears to be like the giant fried chicken sold at some places in Bangkok.

It was happily not greasy and the flavor was pleasant.

However, I am spoiled as I used to go to a gourmet Taiwanese restaurant in the U.S. with a different style of fried chicken, smaller portion, but much more wonderful.

Sample of some other items that I haven't tried yet --

Braised beef noodles  180

Curry beef noodles 195

Seafood noodles 180

Oyster omelet 110

Fried oyster 95

Kimchi tofu 85

APNA (meat and veg)

and

SUGAR and SPICE (all veg)

New "Twin" Indian Restos  on 2nd road, near Soi 18 South Pattaya in the Indian/Middle East district

Super new places directly linked with a shared outdoor space (with a "barrier"). They're so new the paint still smells inside so I sat outside.

You'll be met with the usual enthusiastic sales people telling you, Indian food! But in this case, there's more, they can also tell you that one place is vegetarian and one isn't.

Looking at both menus you'll see the vegetarian part of the menu is a match on both menus, same dishes, same prices.

In the mood for a veg. meal I went for Sugar and Spice and hey I can't say it wasn't nice.

I had two classic dishes, rajma masala (Northern Indian pinto bean dish that is like an Indian version of Mexican chile con carne without the carne) 130, and kadhi pakora which is gram flour dumplings in a very yellow thick soupy sauce 150. Basmati rice is 60 baht.

The rajma masala was done in an "honest" way in that it was a true very beany concoction. Some places do this by just throwing some beans into the same gravy they might use for a chicken curry. That can taste good but it's not what I'm looking for in a rajma masala.

The kadhi pakora was also good but I would be less likely to order that one again. The rice was a little special in that they cooked it with some whole cardamom pods that I happen to like very much. 

The service was very efficient and welcoming at the same time and food overall was about the very good level (or at least good if you're being picky). The prices are a bit under average for the Pattaya Indian food market. For example dal tadka was 100 baht. 

Obviously I haven't tried their breads, meat curries, tandoori dishes yet. As is typical they also offer Indian Chinese fusion dishes.

Yes there seem to be hundreds of Indian restaurants these days, and most of them have very similar menus, but if you want to eat Indian you need to pick places to actually go.

It seems to me you could do a lot worse than these two new places and it doesn't hurt that the prices are friendly enough. 

1 hour ago, mogandave said:

Not Pattaya, but the Taco Bell is now open in Bangkok, and given the crowds and response, there should be one in Pattaya soon.

Wasn't there a big uproar because Bangkok Taco Bell opened it's door and served NO BEEF!  It has since changed and is now serving beef.

Walked by Krispy Kreme in Royal Garden today.  No lineup no customers.  Really too bad they chose to open in Royal Garden vs. one of the malls where people actually spend money.

Wasn't there a big uproar because Bangkok Taco Bell opened it's door and served NO BEEF!  It has since changed and is now serving beef.

Walked by Krispy Kreme in Royal Garden today.  No lineup no customers.  Really too bad they chose to open in Royal Garden vs. one of the malls where people actually spend money.

No beef yet as far as I can tell...

Having now 282 pages in this topic:

wouldn't it be great if the moderator opened a new sub forum or category, so that we could open topics for each restaurant or different food styles but keep all the "eat in Pattaya" related topics together?

I personally find it pretty difficult to look up the well appreciated hints and opinions in this tapeworm thread.

Even though I enjoy reading the postings in this topic, I have always been uncomfortable with the title.  'Hit and Run' implies a very bad situation in the US.  It means the driver in an automobile accident did not stop to aid or inform possible victims.  I have never felt it is an appropriate title for brief restaurant reviews.

5 minutes ago, richsilver said:

Even though I enjoy reading the postings in this topic, I have always been uncomfortable with the title.  'Hit and Run' implies a very bad situation in the US.  It means the driver in an automobile accident did not stop to aid or inform possible victims.  I have never felt it is an appropriate title for brief restaurant reviews.

I'm from the US and was a victim of hit-and-run back in the '70s and I like the title.

Nothing wrong with the title and it happens to be one of my favourite threads.

Hit and run also has the same usual meaning in the UK as the US.

OT here sorry but I do some derivative ( stock ) trading , declaring some on a trading board.

If I am in and out quickly with a profit, I sometimes use the expression  good " smash n grab " .

which usually means stealing something and running away.

I think I will use " hit and run " next time.

To try to get back on topic, although I have not visited yet, speaking to a German friend of mine he holds " Bramburi " restaurant in high regard. Quality food, large portions, reasonable prices.

It is  on soi 12 naklua, German owner/chef.

facebook link

https://www.facebook.com/bramburipattaya/

Archived